RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Indians complete Byrd trade, get a player

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Indians complete Byrd trade, get a player

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:45 pm

This is interesting. Thought the deal was cash only.

In any case, the Indians received OF Mickey Hall from the Red Sox today to complete the deal.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Indians complete Byrd trade, get a player

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:05 pm

Interesting covers maybe half of it.
Have to figure this was why Goleski was finally let go.... his ABs were being given to Hall.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:06 pm

Yeah, sorta explains Goleski's exit. He was tabbed for a return to Akron for a 4th straight year.....and I think the Indians finally had enough of him, so this guy is the filler at Akron this year. When you have Constanza, Drennen and Cumberbatch slotted to be the other two outfielder opposite Weglarz, you know you have issues in the outfield at Akron.

Not much of a prospect....org filler, and one of those "what's the point" trades.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:26 pm

You can disregard my comment on the blog post on the homepage... MadThinker took care of it here :)
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby cardiackidz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:29 pm

the one thing that is good about that akron outfiled is that this is a make or break year for johnny drennan.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby Jake Taylor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Quick scouting report from SoxProspects.com

Strong and athletic lefty bat, originally recruited by GA Tech to replace Matt Murton. Gap hitter with some home run power. Only high school player taken by the Red Sox in the first 16 rounds of the 2003 Draft. Hall had an up-and-down career in the organization, showing a good power swing at times, but mostly failing to make consistent contact. Plays a good center field.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Consigliere wrote:Yeah, sorta explains Goleski's exit. He was tabbed for a return to Akron for a 4th straight year.....and I think the Indians finally had enough of him, so this guy is the filler at Akron this year. When you have Constanza, Drennen and Cumberbatch slotted to be the other two outfielder opposite Weglarz, you know you have issues in the outfield at Akron.

Not much of a prospect....org filler, and one of those "what's the point" trades.

I agree with you but with the lack of talent opposite Weglarz, he can take up space. I do not share your enthusiasm for Cumberbatch at Akron. He is better suited to 4th OF in Kinston IMO. I don't think any Kinston OF is a likely candidate for promotion this year so he really isn't blocking anybody. Considering what we gave up in Byrd, I think things worked out OK. :s_drinks
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:43 am

I think if Cumberbatch or Drennen were given the opportunity to start in Akron, why not Lucas Montero?
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 am

They said the deal was for a PTBNL but that the player wasn't going to be anything super special. 'Mostly' just a salary dump type thing, but we were gonna get someone.

I kinda like Hall looking at what he can do. Like you said, mostly just a 'filler' type guy but does a lot of things well. Has some pop and from his assist totals in the minors, appears to have a great OF arm (16 assists in 2007). Can also play all 3 OF spots.......

Sounds like a perfect type of guy to be a 4th OFer someday.....but likely won't ever crack the MLs.....though you never know...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Yeah, sorta explains Goleski's exit. He was tabbed for a return to Akron for a 4th straight year.....and I think the Indians finally had enough of him, so this guy is the filler at Akron this year. When you have Constanza, Drennen and Cumberbatch slotted to be the other two outfielder opposite Weglarz, you know you have issues in the outfield at Akron.

I agree with you but with the lack of talent opposite Weglarz, he can take up space. I do not share your enthusiasm for Cumberbatch at Akron. He is better suited to 4th OF in Kinston IMO. I don't think any Kinston OF is a likely candidate for promotion this year so he really isn't blocking anybody. Considering what we gave up in Byrd, I think things worked out OK. :s_drinks

Looking like Lucas Montero, Matt Brown, Tim Fedroff and Roman Pena for the four outfielders in Kinston. Cumby has been in the org for 5-6 years now and they likely (undeservingly) move him to Akron for 2009. He's an org player now anyway.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors