RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Cliff Lee declines WBC invite

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Cliff Lee declines WBC invite

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Cliff Lee has declined to participate in the WBC for Team USA. Cited heavy workload this year as main reason. He said (through his agent) that he wants to stay on track. He feels that the Tribe can compete this year and may throw even more innings than last year.

All I can say is "There is a God!"

:s_dance
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Cliff Lee declines WBC invite

Postby TheWord » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:16 pm

DeRosa and Grady are IN right?
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Grady is, not sure about DeRosa though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 pm

no biggie either way most scouts though woudl agree that you get more out of winter ball than ST type practices, so got to think WBC is winter ball on steriods competion is always good
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Jake Taylor » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:28 pm

Yes, Grady and DeRosa have both commited to the WBC.

I actually like the WBC for the hitters, but am quite hesitant about the pitchers.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 pm

DeRosa committed but also stated that since he was dealt, that if the Tribe wanted him in spring training the whole time instead, he would forgo the WBC to learn his new teammates and mesh with the team better.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:52 am

jellis wrote:no biggie either way most scouts though woudl agree that you get more out of winter ball than ST type practices, so got to think WBC is winter ball on steriods competion is always good

Big difference is winter ball is immidiately after the season and ends well before ST starts. players are still into the swing of things during winter ball. With the WBC they've been off for 2 months and reving it up to full game speed is bad news for pitchers (as seen by the lousy seasons most pitchers had that year).

Most scouts/analysts think the WBC is bad news for pitchers....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:no biggie either way most scouts though woudl agree that you get more out of winter ball than ST type practices, so got to think WBC is winter ball on steriods competion is always good

Big difference is winter ball is immidiately after the season and ends well before ST starts. players are still into the swing of things during winter ball. With the WBC they've been off for 2 months and reving it up to full game speed is bad news for pitchers (as seen by the lousy seasons most pitchers had that year).

Most scouts/analysts think the WBC is bad news for pitchers....

analysts yes because it seems obvious most scouts seem to think its not
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Personally I don't think the chances of getting hurt in an event like the WBC differ in any way from spring training, regular season or whatever.

Where I think we see apprehension from coaching staffs and front office personnel is not based on the fact that they think their players are more likely to get hurt playing for their country, but more a realisation that in Baseball there is always the chance that the player might get hurt and if that is to be the case they (the front office staff) have a lot invested in these players and really, if they are going to get hurt, have an inbuilt fear of the players getting hurt wearing a uniform other than their teams.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TheWord » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Asdrubal Cabrera is also IN for team Venezuela I believe.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:39 pm

jellis wrote:analysts yes because it seems obvious most scouts seem to think its not

Name me a scout or source that says scouts like the WBC for pitchers......I'm interested in reading it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:analysts yes because it seems obvious most scouts seem to think its not

Name me a scout or source that says scouts like the WBC for pitchers......I'm interested in reading it.

as I recall tony posted on these boards that scouts and sources thought it was good for any players to be there
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:31 am

I recall him saying it....but never posting a link.....though I could very well be wrong here.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:45 pm

IIRC Tony was talking about hitters and the WBC (being good to participate).
I think he was against pitchers going there as it took more away from the building of arm strength and stretching them out.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors