Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Untouchables

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Untouchables

Postby tphat09 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:31 pm

How many guys do you think the Indians have that will not be traded to matter what deal is made for them?
I think that Hafner, Victor, Grady, Lee, Carmona, Wood and maybe even Perez are all in that category. By far the most debatable of those is Pronk, but I see him having a solid comeback even if he doesn't return to the MVP-caliber he once reached.
tphat09
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Untouchables

Postby jellis » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 am

sizemore is it to me anyone else coudl be had in the right deal but grady is a special talent
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 am

Only Sizemore.... but then, if you offered me Pujols for him I'd do it.... I guess the point I'm making is that whilst it's hard to say he's untouchable, there's just no one that would give up the talent the Indians would demand in a trade.

In terms of Hafner, he's not untouchable, more like untradeable at this point. He's due a lot of money (minimum of $51.75m over 4 years) and you don't know what level of play he will have..... no one would take that contract with the uncertainty.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:53 am

Victor should be (and likely is) untouchable. The team leader and best hitter when healthy (which he sounds like he is/will be).

I'd say hafner is untouchable....but only because you won't get want he can potentially be worth so makes little sense to trade him at this point. Sounds like he's healthy. Let him show what he can do now. Even if someone offered something for him, I woulnd't take it......but maybe some people would.

I'd also put Carmona on the untouchable list. You just signed him long term. Yeah struggled last year but was also hurt for much of the year. Trading a young stud like him really makes little to no sense.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:07 pm

carmona needs to show to me he is a stud and not a one year wonder, Vic is the only guy close to untouchable but I would still move him for pitching

Sizemore is untouchable thanks o a nice contract and length, I dont think there is any player I would move him for straight up
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:10 pm

jellis wrote:carmona needs to show to me he is a stud and not a one year wonder, Vic is the only guy close to untouchable but I would still move him for pitching

Sizemore is untouchable thanks o a nice contract and length, I dont think there is any player I would move him for straight up

Likely true.....though for Lincecum I'd be VERY tempted......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:16 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:carmona needs to show to me he is a stud and not a one year wonder, Vic is the only guy close to untouchable but I would still move him for pitching

Likely true.....though for Lincecum I'd be VERY tempted......

he was the only guy where I would be tempted, but pitchers get hurt more than hitters and rather have sizemore hitting plus defense everyday
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby tphat09 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:57 pm

While some may not be untouchable in principle but in reality they are. I highly doubt the Giants would trade Lincecum even for a great center fielder such as Sizemore.
tphat09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:55 am

tphat09 wrote:While some may not be untouchable in principle but in reality they are. I highly doubt the Giants would trade Lincecum even for a great center fielder such as Sizemore.

Well I gurantee the Indians wouldn't trade an everyday All-Star CFer for a pitcher, even one as good as Lincecum......but I know what you mean.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors