RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Needed Changes

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Needed Changes

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Our beloved feather heads have made it into late June without getting buried. Francona has kept us in a position to succeed. If ever there was an example of management making a difference it is Francona.

That said, to succeed IMO we need some structural change. That change is to get a bat into right field. While Murphy IMO has contributed greatly IMO he is going to fade. For the team to succeed that position needs to be upgraded.

Then there is the Swisher, Santana, Chiz log jam. Can Swisher be only a DH?

I do not know how it will be done - but a seismic trade is needed.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Needed Changes

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Murphy is swatting the ball - not stroking it!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:48 pm

This team needs to be restructured. If it is not we need a great awakening from Swisher and Asdrubal.

Asdrubal is simply killing us with his D - or lack there of.

An interesting question is where Asdrubal will be or play next year. Will he be a starter for someone - perhaps at 2b? Will he even be a starter?

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Indians reportedly scouting Rays, Cubs, and Marlins for starting pitching.
I think of the names Aguilar, Cabrera, and Santana - somebody won't be around for long.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:44 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Indians reportedly scouting Rays, Cubs, and Marlins for starting pitching.
I think of the names Aguilar, Cabrera, and Santana - somebody won't be around for long.

IMO we need a right handed bat. IMO we need to see if Aguilar can play. What we have is pitiful. Detroit showed us this weekend what a lineup should contain. How we swept them a month ago is beyond me.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:42 am

Someone needs to tell Masterson he is in a free agent year and remind Asdrubal of the same. Both are watching millions disappear into space.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 am

I don't see a spot to add another bat right now. The guys who are underperforming at the moment are hard to move - Swisher, Kipnis and Asdrubal. Murphy has been hitting all year and basically his entire career minus last year. Aviles has no bat, but he's not really here for his hitting. You can't get rid of Swisher for a variety of reasons, and I don't think there's any takers on Cabrera either.

Kipnis is a guy that should have earned some patience and goodwill. Give him some time to find his feet after injuries. His K-rates, walk-rates and batting is all pretty much where it should be. He just needs to get his power back, but power is historically a very fluky thing for every hitter. He's coming off an oblique injury, so it shouldn't be surprising that the power isn't all the way back.

The only obvious upgrade is to replace Asdrubal. With Lindor hurt (any update on that?), it's not going to be internally. And I don't see any high profile shortstops on the move at the deadline. What we really need is a more solid back of the bullpen option, potentially a closer, and perhaps a higher quality starter.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:12 am

Edible14 wrote:I don't see a spot to add another bat right now. The guys who are underperforming at the moment are hard to move - Swisher, Kipnis and Asdrubal. Murphy has been hitting all year and basically his entire career minus last year. Aviles has no bat, but he's not really here for his hitting. You can't get rid of Swisher for a variety of reasons, and I don't think there's any takers on Cabrera either.

Kipnis is a guy that should have earned some patience and goodwill. Give him some time to find his feet after injuries. His K-rates, walk-rates and batting is all pretty much where it should be. He just needs to get his power back, but power is historically a very fluky thing for every hitter. He's coming off an oblique injury, so it shouldn't be surprising that the power isn't all the way back.

The only obvious upgrade is to replace Asdrubal. With Lindor hurt (any update on that?), it's not going to be internally. And I don't see any high profile shortstops on the move at the deadline. What we really need is a more solid back of the bullpen option, potentially a closer, and perhaps a higher quality starter.

They're saying ten days to two weeks before he'll return. IDK if that's valid information or not.. Bad bounce into your kisser.. hurts on sooooo many levels...

Drooobs. can be traded... but would it make sense?. Droobs is two dribblers per month through the infield or line drives that don't go into the glove of a field from his career average.. He's not having a lousy season.. just not a great season.. His focus in the field has been wanting for the entire season.. too many mental lapses... a problem that seems to be contagious...

Thoughts?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:41 pm

My conclusion is that Santana's gotta go, and I hate to say that.
He's young with a team friendly contract. He was willing to change positions without making a stink.
I think he's just having a down year, and will easily bounce back.
It also means we would be selling low, which I hate.
But,,,,

1. He lost his catchers job to Gomes.
2. The lights seem to have finally turned on for Lonnie at 3B.
3. That leaves Santana/Swisher to be a 1B/DH combo.
4. The best way to improve the offence is to play Aguilar regularly (at 1B).
5. Swisher is untradeable.

We need a FOR SP so the bully doesn't implode from overuse. We need other things too. But I see that as our most critical need.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:43 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:My conclusion is that Santana's gotta go, and I hate to say that.
He's young with a team friendly contract. He was willing to change positions without making a stink.
But,,,,

We need a FOR SP so the bully doesn't implode from overuse. We need other things too. But I see that as our most critical need.

IDK.. a FOR SP for Carlos Santana.. and who else?.. Does that seem likely to you?...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:My conclusion is that Santana's gotta go, and I hate to say that.
But,,,,

IDK.. a FOR SP for Carlos Santana.. and who else?.. Does that seem likely to you?...

You would need to build a package around Santana. We have pretty good MiL depth now. Remember, we recently got a FOR guy for 2 MiL pitchers.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:22 pm

But,,,,

I don't think you let go of a top 30 bat (which is what he was last year) for anything less than an ace. You certainly don't do it when it means you'd have to play and rely on Nick Swisher more, and would be relying on him for years to come. Santana is a guy you can expect will produce 10-12 WAR over the last three years of his contract. I don't trade that guy unless the starter I'm getting back is really, really good and has more than a year of control left. I don't see anyone trading that type of starter.

Besides, Santana owns a career 139 wRC+ against lefties, and is a *better* hitter against lefties than he is righties. Even the most optimistic projections don't have him being that good. There's other things you can do to get him in the game if need be - have Santana play 3B or RF would be a first suggestion. Or just sit Swisher and have Santana DH. Since he's not very good anymore.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 pm

IMO the Tribe is getting their act together. IMO we do not need to trade for a pitcher - we simply need to put Masterson in the bull pen or on any team that will have him.

The most fortunate thing that could have happened was for Masterson not to take the money this spring. Kluber is our ace. The supporting cast of pitchers is good. Any change should be directed at offense,

Then there is Asdrubal - what to do with him?

I wonder who will pay Asdrubal and Masterson next year?

Ah - and then there is Swisher. What to do with him is a question. Has there ever been anyone less able to handle the big contract than NIck?

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Needed Changes (Masterson)

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Masterson needs a trip to the pen. He is killing us and is mega messed up.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Ah - and then there is Swisher. What to do with him is a question. Has there ever been anyone less able to handle the big contract than NIck?

Bob[/quote]

The problem is that none of the long term contracts this team has dished out are working except for Brantley.

It is amazing to have given out big money to Carlos Santana, Nick Swisher, Michael Bourn, Jason Kipnis, and get absolutely nothing. Think about that. This team gave out over 160 million to these players and they are getting absolutely nothing.

There in lies the problem. No matter what changes we make it isn't going to make a difference unless these guys get their heads out of their asses.

The FO continues to strike out on long term deals. The inability to draft and develop talent along with when they do dish out the money, the player doesn't live up to the contract.

Terry Francona can only do so much. If he wasn't here, I think this team is probably one of the worst teams in baseball.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:46 pm

indians1 wrote:Ah - and then there is Swisher. What to do with him is a question. Has there ever been anyone less able to handle the big contract than NIck?

Bob

The problem is that none of the long term contracts this team has dished out are working except for Brantley.

It is amazing to have given out big money to Carlos Santana, Nick Swisher, Michael Bourn, Jason Kipnis, and get absolutely nothing. Think about that. This team gave out over 160 million to these players and they are getting absolutely nothing.

There in lies the problem. No matter what changes we make it isn't going to make a difference unless these guys get their heads out of their asses.

The FO continues to strike out on long term deals. The inability to draft and develop talent along with when they do dish out the money, the player doesn't live up to the contract.

Terry Francona can only do so much. If he wasn't here, I think this team is probably one of the worst teams in baseball.[/quote]

The Gomes contract IS working out.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Tonight I watched David Murphy try to pull an outside pitch with one strike and ground out weakly.

If I was the manager I would bench him immediately. Trying to pull outside pitches - especially in a favorable count - is an unforgivable baseball sin. Swisher does it too.

Tolerating such nonsense is IMO a serious weakness of Francona as a manager.

Bob

PS: Aviles is not playing. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:00 am

Well, Bob, there are indications that some heads are coming out of some asses.

Santana hit .308/1.016 in the month of June.
Kipnis his hitting .318 so far in July.
Cabrera is hitting .355 over the last seven days.
Even Swisher is getting into the act, hitting .310 over the last seven days with nine RBI's. He actually has a seven-game hitting streak.

I'm concerned about Kipnis, whose power has vanished. Last year he hit 17 HR's; this year he has 3 in just under half the at-bats. Not that we need a lot of HR's from our 2nd baseman, but part of what made him a very productive player last year (5.9 WAR) was the ability to hit for power. His WAR so far this year; 1.1. He's less than half the offensive player he was last year, but he's showing signs of coming around so a strong second half would salvage his season.

With the Bourn injury Kip is now leading off, so I expect him to concentrate on getting on base rather than hitting for power. That might help him. He's best when hitting line drives gap to gap and letting the HR's come naturally.

What needs to change for the Indians is for these four players, plus Raburn and Murphy, to pick up the offense. They've all disappointed in the first half. The Indians record when scoring five runs or more is ridiculous; 32-6!!! With no bell cow like Pujols or Miggy they need everybody to chip in. They need to consistently have those games where they get 10-12 hits, some walks, and score five runs.

They also need Masterson and McAllister to get healthy and on top of their games.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:13 am

Just to add something - the Indians have had four losing streaks of four games or more this year.

They had a six-game losing streak in April where they failed to score five runs in any of those losses.

They had two four-game losing streaks in May where they failed to score five runs in any of those losses.

In June they had two four-game losing streaks where they scored five or more runs only twice in eight losses.

Overall, just considering the losing streaks, that's 20 of 22 losses where they failed to score five runs.

It's not the single losses or even the back-to-back losses that do the major damage; it's the losing streaks. As long as the Tribe is hitting well they have an excellent winning percentage. The most disappointing players in the first half are starting to hit, except maybe Raburn. That's a good sign that they might make a strong run in the second half like last season.

So far they're 7-3 in July and averaging 5.5 runs per game. Just gotta keep it going.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm

We go into the All Star break at .500. Gomes bailed out Kipnis big time today.

Cody Allen appears to be the closer we have not had. He is not smoke and mirrors. Cody is power - and he actually throws strikes.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:01 pm

21 games in the second half against Detroit and KC. That will have a lot to say about whether the Indians get back into it.

Also 12 games against the Twins, 7 against the Astros, 6 against the White Sox, and 3 against Tampa to finish the season. That's 28 games against weaker teams that the Tribe needs to dominate. That's how they snuck in last year - by destroying the bad teams.

No games against the A's and only one makeup against the Angels - the two West powerhouses. Only 3 games against the East-leading Orioles. Nice.

Making up 8 games on Detroit with only 68 to play will be a bitch, though. Even if we win 7 of 11 we only gain three games, and I don't see us winning 7 of 11. Looks like another wild card run is the best case scenario unless Detroit has a couple of major injuries.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:12 pm

I like our chances. IMO going forward bold decisions are needed. We must play better D and our offence needs to improve.

I would play Aviles every day. Who gets benched is immaterial - there are plenty of candidates.

A radical change I would consider is to move Kipnis back to the outfield. He and
ACab are killing us defensively. Kipnis in the 8th today was pitiful. It was not Shaw who should be so appreciative of Gomes - it should have been Kipnis.

We need to replace some complacent under performer with Aviles and then find someone to fill the supersub role that Aviles is playing.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Why are you so crazy about Aviles and his .648 OPS? He's a decent utility infielder, nothing more.

The Indians play 37 of their last 68 against teams who currently have losing records and 21 games against the Tigers and Royals. The opportunity is there.

Kipnis, Swisher, Santana, and Cabrera have all shown signs of coming out of their first half slumps recently. Dickerson has looked good as a temporary replacement for Bourn in the batting order. I think Brantley and Chiz will continue to be consistent, although neither will probably end up hitting over .320 like they are now.

Remember, they're 32-6 when scoring five or more runs. Most of these guys had first halves well below their career norms, especially Swisher and Santana. If they get going this could be a fun second half.

McAllister looked good except for one bad pitch to a guy who has 29 HR's at the break. Getting McAllister back will help, although House was better than I expected. Gotta get Masterson back on track.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Why are you so crazy about Aviles and his .648 OPS? He's a decent utility infielder, nothing more.

The Indians play 37 of their last 68 against teams who currently have losing records and 21 games against the Tigers and Royals. The opportunity is there.

Kipnis, Swisher, Santana, and Cabrera have all shown signs of coming out of their first half slumps recently. Dickerson has looked good as a temporary replacement for Bourn in the batting order. I think Brantley and Chiz will continue to be consistent, although neither will probably end up hitting over .320 like they are now.

Remember, they're 32-6 when scoring five or more runs. Most of these guys had first halves well below their career norms, especially Swisher and Santana. If they get going this could be a fun second half.

McAllister looked good except for one bad pitch to a guy who has 29 HR's at the break. Getting McAllister back will help, although House was better than I expected. Gotta get Masterson back on track.

Why Aviles? Why not. When does non performance have a price? This team needs IMO to be restructured. That means someone who is comfortable in their place will have to be discomforted.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 am

So put Aviles in the lineup and "who gets benched is immaterial". Great. Let's see, we could put him at 3rd and bench Chisenhall. That would probably make Lonnie "discomforted". And we wouldn't have to put up with that .328 BA anymore, either. That would be a nice bonus.

Aviles can play left field - how about we bench Brantley? That would send a message.

You say this team needs to be "restructured" but your only suggestion is to start playing Aviles every day, and it doesn't matter who gets benched. The goal is to make somebody uncomfortable. Yeah, that will get this team going.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:24 pm

How about we bench Murphy? Seems pretty simple to me.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:53 am

Murphy is second on the team in RBI, behind only Brantley. He also has a higher OPS than Aviles.

Aviles is a singles hitter (12 XBHs in 200 ABs) who never walks (only 6 walks on the season). He's just a utility infielder. Making him the regular right fielder, a position he doesn't even play, while benching the team's 2nd leading run producer just to make everybody uncomfortable and scare them into performing better is not a strategy I think will accomplish anything.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Spare me. Murphy had a hot streak and is now reverting to his last year's form.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:27 am

Aviles is not going to be playing any right field. He's a utility infielder, period.

After three games against the Tigers, the Indians are now 35-6 when scoring five runs or more. The pitching has been very consistent, and now McAllister is back.

The Tigers might have the worst bullpen for a contending team that I've seen. They need to make some trades.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Indians are giving away games vs LHP. This has to stop, if they want to make the PO.

Send down Hagadone and CC Lee and bring up two RHB to play vs LHP...Holt, Aguilar, JRam, Urshela...I don't care who, they all hit LHP and that's what the Indians happen to need. Adding to that, there's no shame in DHing Gomes and playing R.Perez at C, both are LHP mashers, so try to play both of them when facing a lefty.

On a positive note, I was impressed with Adams's stuff today. When he has all three of his pitches going, that's some dominant stuff. Part of me wants to see him get a chance as a SP again for next season.

3-1 in Detroit is great, but can't allow to white flag games like this. 4 hits, 2 of them by Gomes, the rest predictably did nothing. Especially running Murphy out there vs LHP is like letting the pitcher hit. At least get Holt up and platoon him with Murphy. That's the least they can do. The guy has a .508 OBP and .998 OPS vs LHP in AAA, what more does he have to do? It's not like you'd ruin a major talent by sitting him 4-5 times a week. He'd still be a good pinch hitter and runner of the bench on gamedays facing RHSP.

One other thing, I love Francona, but why the hell do you run Kipnis in the 8th down by 3 runs and with 5 outs left? That was just stupid, as the chances of a CS are higher than a GIDP. Your chances of winning go down anyway with a grounder, but adding to that with the CS risk was just pointless and stupid, no other way around it, sorry. End of rant.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:20 am

Ask and ye shall receive. Gomes DH'd last night with Perez catching against a lefty starter. Both had hits that drove in runs, although Perez's hit came off a righty.

But in the end, they were held to two runs over five innings by a career minor leaguer making his 6th ML appearance. This is ridiculous. By all means, bring up Holt. We don't need Hagadone. Or another alternative is to release Raburn. But Tito is extremely loyal to his veterans. Heck, Giambi is still on the roster! What is going on with that? Even if he could play we don't need another left-handed bat.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby nubballguy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:15 am

"Even if he could play we don't need another left-handed bat."
And that's why he won't...except perhaps either as a September call up or a end of season curtain call before announcing his retirement.

BTW, did like the combo last night of Gomes and Perez in the line up. Seemed like Tito did all he could to squeeze as many RH bats into the lineup (Aviles in CF, yikes!) but if guys just don't hit lefties like Raburn and Swisher (.160s vs LHP) its hard to overcome. While a true righty bat would do wonders, really what's needed is more individual success across the board vs lhp. In a way, it can't really get much worse can it? So maybe, the only way is up from here? One can hope.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 am

They really need Raburn, Swisher, Santana, and Cabrera to do some damage against lefty pitching. Gomes is doing his part, hitting an amazing .362 against lefties. Brantley and Chiz are holding their own. But they need those other four to step up from the right side.

I like the idea of using Gomes as the DH against lefties with Perez catching. It's a great way to keep Gomes' bat in the lineup while keeping the defense strong and getting another RH bat in there. Putting Aviles in the OF in place of Bourn/Dickerson is another good move. But it's ultimately up to Raburn, Swish, Santana, and Cabrera to start doing some damage from the right side.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:45 am

IMO there is essentially nothing that can be done with this lineup unless we can find a sucker to take some of the extended contracts off our hands. Short of that, it is wait until next year and see if any of the guys who never woke up for 2014 are better in 2015. Cutting guys like Murphy or Rayburn with a month to go until extended rosters makes no sense.

And then there is Swisher. Perhaps he needs a month off or something. His collapse is biblical in proportion.

If we can get a bag of balls for Masterson now I would take it. He is gone and no one - no one in their right mind would gamble on a big contract for him in the off season.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:20 am

If no one will gamble on Masterson with a big contract, maybe he'll sign a one-year deal with us at a reasonable price.

I think somebody will take a shot, though. The Yankees come to mind because if he tanks and they have to eat $60 million or so over four years it's no problem. If his knee checks out OK he'll get paid.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby nubballguy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:41 pm

[quote="Prosecutor"]If no one will gamble on Masterson with a big contract, maybe he'll sign a one-year deal with us at a reasonable price.

I could be wrong on this but isn't the least the Indians offer Masterson is 20% less than what he earned this year. Isn't that some sort of rule?
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:14 pm

nubballguy wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:If no one will gamble on Masterson with a big contract, maybe he'll sign a one-year deal with us at a reasonable price.

I could be wrong on this but isn't the least the Indians offer Masterson is 20% less than what he earned this year. Isn't that some sort of rule?

I think that is more a rule related to arbitration and early contract renewals. Otherwise a guy like Sizemore would have needed to sign a $4M this past offseason with Boston (since his last Tribe deal was 1 yr/ $5M).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby nubballguy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:07 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
nubballguy wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:If no one will gamble on Masterson with a big contract, maybe he'll sign a one-year deal with us at a reasonable price.

I think that is more a rule related to arbitration and early contract renewals. Otherwise a guy like Sizemore would have needed to sign a $4M this past offseason with Boston (since his last Tribe deal was 1 yr/ $5M).

While I think you're right on what the rule relates to, just to clarify, I meant that the team they played for can only offer 20% less so the Sizemore example you pointed to wouldn't have applied.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Return to Beyond The Minors