RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Trevor Bauer and Effective Velocity

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Trevor Bauer and Effective Velocity

Postby Chiefroy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:33 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/6 ... ry-husband

This is the pitching philosophy that Bauer has been following. Long article, the Bauer part begins about halfway through.

"Cleveland did not enter into this relationship with eyes closed. Not only did they scout Bauer before making the deal with Arizona, they went so far as to send representatives to Wolforth's coaching clinic in Montgomery — reconnaissance agents whose targets were only too happy to spill the beans — just weeks before pulling the trigger. There, they watched Bauer, together with a Ranch regular named Eric Binder — a 26-year-old whose two-season professional pitching career crested in the Single-A New York-Penn League in 2011 — give a presentation on lower-half pitching mechanics. The team was so taken that they didn't just trade for Bauer, they also hired Binder, who currently serves as an assistant in player development.

Today, Bauer remains at the vanguard of the EV movement, but he has added nuance to his repertoire. The Indians have given him space with which to ply his trade, and he goes to lengths to make sure his pitching philosophy meshes with his team's game plan, rather than buries it. Healthy again both physically and emotionally, Bauer is thriving."
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Re: Trevor Bauer and Effective Velocity

Postby nubballguy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Very interesting article, thanks for posting Chief. I know I'll be looking at pitch placement and speed more interconnectedly going forward. Bauer seems like the best chance for this theory to gain traction if he succeeds with it. I wonder if he discusses it with Gomes as well as with his staff mates. Maybe someone like Carrasco could gain from the insights?
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:21 am

A lot of the stuff Bauer is doing is really exciting for scientific/analytic reasons. If he can prove that the science they're practicing is sound, he may revolutionize the game. There's still issues to be ironed out - the bit about how Santana caught him is slightly worrying. Because it sounds like Santana is really only giving him half a target, which means Santana has to move the glove more. Santana already has a terrible pitch framing reputation, and him moving the glove more doesn't help. Hopefully he's working with Gomes so that Gomes can better understand his system. A moving catcher's glove can be part of the reason for Bauer's high walk rate.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Kipnis22 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:46 am

nubballguy wrote:Very interesting article, thanks for posting Chief. I know I'll be looking at pitch placement and speed more interconnectedly going forward. Bauer seems like the best chance for this theory to gain traction if he succeeds with it. I wonder if he discusses it with Gomes as well as with his staff mates. Maybe someone like Carrasco could gain from the insights?

People still think Carassco has a future in baseball?
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Beyond The Minors