RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Closer

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Closer

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri May 09, 2014 11:23 pm

As of immediately Cody Allen should be the closer. Axford is a mess. He can join Carrasco in mental rehab for awhile.

The way Axford melted down tonight was pitiful.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Closer

Postby Chiefroy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:54 am

Yep. Mop up duty time.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:37 am

There are some possible reasons they could be hesitant to name Allen the closer. Statistically, it makes perfect sense. You want your closer to be a guy who has close to a neutral platoon split, because teams are most likely to pinch hit for matchups in closing situations. Allen actually is slightly better against lefties so far in his career (better wOBAA, more Ks, better xFIP, although his home run rate is higher against lefties, pushing his FIP to be better against righties). So far, he's shown to be fine in high leverage situations as well, his numbers stay pretty much the same in low, medium and high leverage situations (according to Fangraphs).

BUT, perhaps Francona and Callaway know something about his psyche that we don't.
OR, perhaps they don't want to put him as a closer because they don't want his pricetag to go up in eventual arbitration hearings.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chiefroy » Sun May 11, 2014 1:56 pm

I think it's more about Axford's psyche than Allen's. Closer-by-committee is more vague and sounds like, "We're going to try and make-do until Axford gets back on track". But here's what Francona said:

"There's days when you get to the seventh inning and the bases loaded," Francona said. "Cody might be the best guy to get us out of that inning. The game is maybe more on the line then than it is in the ninth, and they all understood that. I just wanted to make sure they understood. I feel pretty strong about how I feel, but I just wanted to make sure they understood."

"Cody can close," Francona said. "He can do whatever he wants. But [it would be bad] having that weapon not available [in the seventh or eighth inning]."

Personally, I think Allen will be used exclusively as the closer if possible and has a good chance to keep the job permanently...if he's not blowing saves. I don't think we just hand the job back to Axford when he's "ready".
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Allen as closer will work IF Axford can find himself enough to be good option for middle and setup relief. Otherwise the pen is short another arm and guys like Shaw, Lee, scrabble etc will be burned out by August..
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:55 pm

That reply from Francona made me happy. I am a big fan of having your best reliever available for bail-out duty in the 6th-8th. Getting to work the 9th with nobody on is, in some ways, a lower pressure situation. Although I think that really just means that even if you have a "closer" you shouldn't be afraid to use him in the 7th if the situation calls for it.

Allen was a bit shaky today. Shaw gets the save. Even against two lefties, and given his platoon splits that's no small accomplishment for him.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Personally, I don't want Allen or Shaw back in the CL role. I would prefer to keep their arb # low byb keeping them out of save situations. I'd rather see Carlos Carrasco back there, well not really, but who knows maybe that's where he really belongs...
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun May 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Cody really struggled today. Me thinks the situation will take time to settle. Shaw looked less affected by the change.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors