RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

"Houston, we have a problem!"

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

"Houston, we have a problem!"

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:29 pm

Wow - took the pipe tonight and the whole trip. I must focus on the team that took 3 of 4 from KC. How in the world did that happen?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: "Houston, we have a problem!"

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Hitting is the much bigger problem to me than the pitching.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 01, 2014 9:24 am

A.Zajac wrote:Hitting is the much bigger problem to me than the pitching.

Six games below .500 for the month of April.. not the hot start the club was looking for..

Zaj is right... You can't win games when you're scoring one or two runs.. The Indians have scored one or two runs in a game 11 of their first 28 & are 1-10 in those games...

Therein lies the problem most of the problem...

The defense has surrendered 17 unearned runs... If they can't score runs, they have to prevent runs (25th in MLB), especially, unearned runs (26th in MLB).

The pale hose visit the shores of Lake Erie beginning tomorrow night.. should be a bit chilly.. maybe someone can slow down the "jury still out"/unimpressive Jose Abreu...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:52 am

Defense is the biggest problem right now IMO. Offense is not without blame either (3 hits yesterday...won't win many games with 3 frakin hits), but the offense has shown some signs of life (hell even Santana and Cabrera were hitting early in the series). Defense though...I don't see any signs of it coming around...

As GSon said too...when the offense is struggling (or inconsistent), you just have to prevent runs. Gotta make those easy plays and not gift runs to the opposition. Very demoralizing for the team.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Chiefroy » Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 am

Josh Tomlin just gave us something else to think about. 9 inning shutout no walks, 10 Ks.....Wow, what a gem!

1 spot open....hope nobody gets their feelings hurt...
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Fri May 02, 2014 8:13 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
The pale hose visit the shores of Lake Erie beginning tomorrow night.. should be a bit chilly.. maybe someone can slow down the "jury still out"/unimpressive Jose Abreu...

Yeah, Abreu with 32 RBI's in April. Wow! But he's not the only one producing.

Tyler Flowers is hitting .354, well above his lifetime average of .221.

Alexei Ramirez is hitting .351 and Dayan Viciedo is at .348.

What's interesting is that both Ramirez and Viciedo are right-handed hitters, yet they're destroying right-handed pitching, hitting .376 and .387 respectively against righties.

That does not bode well for the Tribe's starters. No Scott Kazmir to throw at them this year.

Even their platoon players are hitting well. This is a huge series for the Tribe. If the White Sox sweep it's officially panic time.

Nick Swisher does a lot of positive talking but he needs to get going. His defense has been abysmal and his bat all but non-existant. Between him and Santana there have been huge holes in the heart of the order. Supposedly his shoulder is back to normal this year so he needs to get going.

Santana with two homers in the last series, so that's a start. Need to get Raburn going and Brantley back on track. This team will never be good defensively, so they need to pitch well and score a lot.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:36 am

Chiefroy wrote:Josh Tomlin just gave us something else to think about. 9 inning shutout no walks, 10 Ks.....Wow, what a gem!

1 spot open....hope nobody gets their feelings hurt...

Definitely a "wow" start from Tomlin. Seemed like a foregone conclusion that Bauer would get that callup and start on Tuesday May 6th...things just got real interesting. Tomlin pitching yesterday also makes a Tuesday start his normal day to go again...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Not a stellar performance by Salazar tonight but it should net him his 1st W on the season.
I'm sorely tempted to send out Danny after the game & call up a reliever (Pestano??) for a few days and then send someone else out Tuesday to call up Tomlin to take the Tuesday/ Carassco start. A few days later out goes another reliever so Bauer can make the normal Salazar start.

Time to make a few changes and see if a spark can be fanned into a fire....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 03, 2014 9:12 am

Mad.. IDK.. seems like a lot of mixing and matching of starting pitchers.. Carrasco in the pen for now is what the Indians have decided. The addition of Jose Ramirez for Kip gives the Indians a solid bench of left and right handed players.. When Yan goes on paternity, then the secret will be out about the Columbus.. Jesus Aguilar's star power is overshadowing an unsustainable unbelievable start to the 2014 season by Roberto Perez.. Here are their numbers:

.444 .641 .348 1.086
.452 .615 .346 1.067

BTW, with numbers like that, who cares who's who...

Pestano really isn't the same guy as he was two years ago, so, I doubt that happens..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Gson.. It's not a lot of mixing. We know someone has to take carassco's next start slot. Tomlin is line for it so that is a no brained although many of us want to see Bauer back in the bigs.

Salazar and Bauer are almost in exact sync now so making the switch is easy.

We all know Francona likes large bullpens. Let him have another extra arm while we go thru the normal pitcher rest.

I only suggest Pestano as his option for this year is used. why bounce someone else or make a 40 man move if not absolutely needed.

This early May stretch is important for the Tribe to climb back into the division and wild card races. Notice I said into the races. Right now they are challenging for worst record in the majors. That needs to change..
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 03, 2014 5:26 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Gson.. It's not a lot of mixing. We know someone has to take carassco's next start slot. Tomlin is line for it so that is a no brained although many of us want to see Bauer back in the bigs.

Salazar and Bauer are almost in exact sync now so making the switch is easy.

We all know Francona likes large bullpens. Let him have another extra arm while we go thru the normal pitcher rest.

I only suggest Pestano as his option for this year is used. why bounce someone else or make a 40 man move if not absolutely needed.

This early May stretch is important for the Tribe to climb back into the division and wild card races. Notice I said into the races. Right now they are challenging for worst record in the majors. That needs to change..

I can see either Tomlin or Bauer in the rotation in Carrasco's slot. So, it's sort of an agreement. Bauer has performed very well in his brief trial at the ML level this year.. and has been pretty much dominating at AAA. Tomlin, after a minor hiccup to start the year, has gone from good, to great.. to dominating.. in rapid fashion.. Maybe both will be needed.. perhaps not now.. but soon..

You bounce someone off the forty man roster they're not performing. Loyalty has a short fuse.. If it's an extra arm, that arm has to be effective. Vinnie aint the arm.. He's just not getting the ball where it needs to be.. It wouldn't surprise if there's a shock promotion of a guy like Von Shamann, Giovanni Soto or even the K-Rocket.. They're getting outs.. Vinnie isn't..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chiefroy » Sat May 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Tomlin gets the call up according to Hoynes.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Return to Beyond The Minors