RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2014 Cleveland Indians Season Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2014 Cleveland Indians Season Thread

Postby Edible14 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:50 am

I would not be surprised if, at some point this season, we saw Cloyd or Davies get called up to the bigs for a spot start. We really only have 6 starters on the 40 man roster at this point, and it's not hard to see and injury here and a spot start there would necessitate such a move.

Also, is Roberto Perez here to stay now? Nice little gig he's landed, and he's a great story as well. He might not be much offensively, but he's proving pretty quickly that he's a reliable defensive catcher. That's valuable, and will likely keep him employed at least on the waiver wire/AAA level - much like Luke Carlin, Chris Wallace, etc. - for quite a few years.

I think one of the big storylines this year has to be how well we are utilizing our AAA club. Salazar really seems to have fixed his issues down there, and we've been able to call/recall some quality fill in players for cheap all year. Primarily in the bullpen - Crockett, Hagadone, Price, Lowe, Lee, Adams, Pestano - but also Holt, Perez, Sellers, Ramirez and Aguilar. We've gotten timely and needed production out of a lot of different guys this year, without having to resort to the waiver wire or trading for platoon/role players (aside from Dickerson). And I think we're likely to see more of that with Walters and Ramsey in the last couple of months. I certainly don't miss the days of trading for Brent Lillibridge.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:03 am

I went to today's game, and I have a few thoughts:

Bauer was shaky early, but he turned it around and had a really nice start. I think he's honestly our second best pitcher right now, and he's doing well in that role. I have a growing amount of confidence in him.

The bullpen is so darn good for us, and tonight was no different. Good contributions from everyone.

Mike Aviles has absolutely no business as a starting LF. They weren't even facing a lefty, so there's no reason for him to be in there instead of Dickerson or Holt. Aviles is a terrible hitter. Of all 230 batters with at least 250 PAs this year, he's the 22nd worst in wRC+, with 75. That's pretty much where his production has been his entire career. That means his value can only come when he's providing good defense... but he's not doing that in LF or 3B. The only position he's above average defensively is SS, and possibly 2B. Even if Dickerson is *as bad* a hitter, he's an upgrade defensively there. Even Holt would be an upgrade there (actually, he'd likely be an upgrade defensively in CF, moving Brantley over to a position he provides better defense at). I don't mind Aviles being able to play there in a pinch, but he's been put there in 3 of the last 4 games. Given his bat and glove, we shouldn't be pencilling him in in LF or 3B unless it's an emergency.

Swisher looks lost and possibly hurt. He pulled up lame after trying to run out a dropped third strike (which he would have beaten if he took off from the batter's box right away), but stayed in for his next AB, which was a bad strikeout. Dickerson pinch hit for him after that. I really like what the core of the lineup is doing right now - Santana, Chisenhall and Brantley are doing quite well. But too many other people in the lineup are just easy outs. Ramirez, Aviles and Swisher are all part of that problem. I find myself rooting for a Swisher DL visit and a return of Jason Giambi to the DH role.

And don't write off David Murphy. Clutch hit from him today, and he's pretty much been as advertised all season. If only Raburn would be the lefty masher he's supposed to be, we'd have a formidable platoon out there.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Why are my postings being deleted?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 am

I can't stand watching Aviles hit anymore. Going into last night's game he was 2-for-20.

He wiggles around at the plate before the pitch, then chops down on the ball while his butt flys backwards. He has the most awkward swing I've ever seen on a non-pitcher. He just looks off-balance on most of his swings.

He also swings at anything close to the strike zone and never walks. His OBP is something like .277. In six AB's Monday night he didn't make solid contact once. He doesn't hit for average or power and never walks. He gets himself out consistently by swinging at bad or marginal pitches.

I like his defense at SS, but otherwise he's not much use. He's only playing because Bourn is hurt, Raburn can't hit this year, and Cabby got traded. So now we have a black hole in the lineup.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Why are my postings being deleted?

No idea what you're talking about Geronimo. I'm the only mod aside from Tony... I'm looking at the moderator logs right now where I can see all the actions taken and the past 20 are all when I was deleting spam and Tony IP banned the accounts. There's nothing with your username in the moderator logs.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 pm

A.Zajac wrote:

No idea what you're talking about Geronimo. I'm the only mod aside from Tony... I'm looking at the moderator logs right now where I can see all the actions taken and the past 20 are all when I was deleting spam and Tony IP banned the accounts. There's nothing with your username in the moderator logs.

Andrew.. I wrote a comment in one of the posted stories... Javier Baez was the subject..... posted it in the comments section, re-read it at the site after posting it.. and now it's gone.. It had to do with Javier Baez and his effect on the Cubs..etc..about nine lines.. It's not the first time a posted comment disappeared..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:23 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Andrew.. I wrote a comment in one of the posted stories... Javier Baez was the subject..... posted it in the comments section, re-read it at the site after posting it.. and now it's gone.. It had to do with Javier Baez and his effect on the Cubs..etc..about nine lines.. It's not the first time a posted comment disappeared..

Wait, on the boards or on the site itself? I don't have control over the website comments, so you'd have to ask Tony about that if that's the case.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:09 am

After the TJ House rain out..Tito is giving Josh Tomlin the start.. You can almost always tell within the first few pitches by Tomlin..if his best FB isn't hitting 90-91, he's not going lead the Tribe to a W..

First pitch 90.. ripped.. uh oh.. challenge coming.. he's out.. but.. Josh is getting his best FB up to 90-91.. with that kind of velo, his change has a separation of 6 to 8 mph.. If he's getting his hook over, then this could be a good outing.. otherwise, it's going to be a long game for the Wahoos...

They might have to pound out a W.. against a rookie.. should be interesting...

Zach Walters with a good eye.. Tyler Holt with another single.. does he look like a young Manning.. no power, speed and singles every direction... could be.. Roberto Perez was a bit anxious.. swinging at ball four.. onto the fifth inning..

Here we go again with Tomlin.. starting the fifth inning.. first ball FB strike at 87.. next one FB at 87, smashed up the middle by Montero.. Next batter.. 86 mph FB.. smashed through the hole between 1B and 2B by Lamb.. The strike out of Marte was preceded by an 85 mph FB... two on one out... DiDi watches an 84 mph cut fastball go by over the play and just gets a wee bit under an 88 mph FB that he lifts to medium CF... Gosewisch at bat.. and he hits a hard grounder to Aviles at 3B, who promptly fumbles the ball, recovers and throws wildly to 1B Santana who applies the phantom tag on the sliding Goseswisch.. A short inning.. but this was the bottom of the DBax order.. Not a lot of pitches.. but it's clear, the Dbax have Josh figured out.. Time to GET HIM OUT OF THE GAME..

Jose Ramirez... running game on display.. bbiab...

Into the sixth inning.. hmm.. okay.. Yeah!!!! Tito !!.. good move.. going and getting Tomlin now before the heart of the order comes up.. Tomlin's throwing up meatballs for them to hit hard.. Let's see if the pen can do a lock down.. again..

Nice outing by Chafin in his debut.. a Golden Flash with family in tow makes good..

Crummy way to lose a game.. 1-0 in extras.. timely hitting, not on display in game two.. but there were a few notables..

Tyler Holt = Lead off man.. or could be tried there soon.. sooner.. soonest.. He just puts the bat on the ball.. and puts the glove around it.. plays with abandon and control. Have him enroll in a few kinesiology courses to add strength and he could be something special.. nice approach at the plate..

Zach Walters = young, power, pretty boy, humble.. He could become a LOT more of a complete player given time and continued work.. He's not an outfielder.. or at least, not yet.. Love the approach at the plate.. stands tall, rocking the shoulders ala Junior, then, as the pitcher begins his motion to the plate, he lowers his shoulders in a slight crouch with BOTH eyes focused on the pitcher's release point.. Takes walks..

Mike Aviles.. should never play 3B again..at least, not for the Indians. I would rather see Zach Walters or Jose Ramirez or Carlos Santana at 3B than Aviles.. Of the four or five throws he made from 3B, more than half were off line.. A 1B is going to get his arm broken if he continues at that spot...

Ryan Raburn is a clown in the OF.. DH only..

Day off.. golf w/ plenty of sunshine, then the O's invade for a weekend series... back to .500, again..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:20 pm

That clown in the outfield made the best catch of the year. However, he needs to pick up the ball barehanded rather than scoop it up with his glove when it's lying on the ground.

As always, a pitcher making his first ML start totally dominates the Indians' hitters.

The bullpen was great until CC walked the leadoff hitter in the 12th. You knew the game was over because a leadoff walk always scores.

Anytime Dickerson, Aviles, and Raburn are all in the lineup at the same time you can forget about scoring any runs. All these guys have horrible batting averages in August. Raburn and Aviles are double play machines. I cringe when they come up with a man on first and less than two out.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Aviles needs to be off the team after this year is done. They certainly shouldn't be picking up his option when Walters has the same versatility, a better bat and will cost $3M less. I know Raburn will at least be given a chance to make the team next year since he has a guaranteed contract, but he shouldn't be long for the team either, and I suspect he'll either fail to make the team out of spring training or be gone before May.

Say what you will about Dickerson, but at least he's a decent glove in the OF. You can't say that for Aviles or Raburn. I suspect Holt will be the odd man out when Bourn comes back, but he really shouldn't be.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:19 pm

Edible14 wrote:Aviles needs to be off the team after this year is done. They certainly shouldn't be picking up his option when Walters has the same versatility, a better bat and will cost $3M less. I know Raburn will at least be given a chance to make the team next year since he has a guaranteed contract, but he shouldn't be long for the team either, and I suspect he'll either fail to make the team out of spring training or be gone before May.

Say what you will about Dickerson, but at least he's a decent glove in the OF. You can't say that for Aviles or Raburn. I suspect Holt will be the odd man out when Bourn comes back, but he really shouldn't be.

I'd like to see the Tribe bring Aviles back, at the very least hold him as a trade chip. His versatility and relatively low cost should make him a useful trade chip. Maybe he could be an add in to get a SP this offseason.

Raburn is one of those guys that shows up every other yr. He's been horrible this yr. If his career norms hold, he should be in for a decent yr next yr.

Its good to see the contributions by some of the younger players...Jose Ramirez, Roberto Perez, Tyler Holt and Zach Walters. This might be a sneak peak at some future bench / role players for the Tribe.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:42 am

Well, I suppose I need to apologize to Mike Aviles after his game-winning HR last night. But even a blind squirrel...

He's still hitting .171 in August.

Walters has won one game with a walk-off HR and saved another (last night) with a HR that allowed the game to go into extra innings. Interesting guy. I'm not getting excited yet, but I'll keep watching.

When was the last time the Tribe had two home runs from the right side of the plate in the same game?
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:37 am

He still has a walk rate under 4% and almost no power. He's just not a useful offensive player. Jason Giambi hit two walk-offs last year, and he's still not useful enough offensively to warrant a roster spot over Tyler Holt or CC Lee.

As for the idea that he's a useful trade chip... if they find that anyone is willing to give anything of value for him in a trade... do it. Sure. I just doubt that any other major league team is going to fall in love with a guy that is basically in the bottom 10% of major league hitters in terms of production.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:55 am

39 games to go...

The top two WC teams are a combined 7-13 in their last 20 games.. The Indians are 4 1/2 back with three teams separating them from the second wild card spot..and the fun is just beginning..

If the Indians starting staff pitches like it has for the last couple of rotations.. it could be more than just a little fun..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:50 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:39 games to go...

The top two WC teams are a combined 7-13 in their last 20 games.. The Indians are 4 1/2 back with three teams separating them from the second wild card spot..and the fun is just beginning..

If the Indians starting staff pitches like it has for the last couple of rotations.. it could be more than just a little fun..

I don't think its realistic to expect a finish like last season but we can all hope we can get that hot. Even a finish close to last year's should get them to the the playoffs either as the AL Central Champion or the WC game. I think the offense needs to take a step forward if we're going to play into October.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:32 pm

daingean wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:39 games to go...

I don't think its realistic to expect a finish like last season but we can all hope we can get that hot. Even a finish close to last year's should get them to the the playoffs either as the AL Central Champion or the WC game. I think the offense needs to take a step forward if we're going to play into October.

agree...

especially guys like Lonnie and Bourn.. both have to hit and hit for power during a prolonged hot streak...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:13 am

Well.. that was quite an interesting game.. Twins and Indians always seem to play tough / battle to the end / 27 out affairs.. The Indians got the better of this one..

The Yanimal: Perhaps establishing himself as the best all around catcher in the AL.. Sally Perez may have something to say about that, but, Yan has game.. has power.. has presence.. is clutch.. and plays every day..

Trevor Bauer.. fell victim to the CB Bucknor strike zone.. Sure..several of Bauer's offerings were in the middle up and said hit me hard.. Bauer wasn't getting anything close and adjusted too slowly in the first inning.. Watchers could tell when he departed that he was just "okay" with this outing..

The Offense.. bailed out Bauer's poor first inning.. a One through Nine effort.. Carlos Santana hit in bad luck. If he could just slow his torso down a weeeee bit, he could take the ball the opposite way.. shrugs..

The Bullpen.. everyone got a shot last night.. a half doze guys came in after Bauer... not a bad result.. 4.1 innings of shutout baseball...

Onto game two.. TJ House gets the nod.. A good outing is needed...With Detroit and Seattle winning, the Indians weren't able to gain in the race for the second WC.. Everyone in WC hunt from the AL East lost.. so that helped a little...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 am

I don't think we've said enough about how good our bullpen has been this year. They've been so reliable, even when the ball comes over to them in the 4th/5th inning, it feels like the Indians can always rely on them to keep the game even. I'm glad we're bringing back Atchison (and the contract is really very little risk since the second year is an option), and most days I feel confident in anyone Francona is bringing out from there. Whether that's Cody Allen or someone fresh up from Columbus.

Raburn to the DL, Holt comes back up and immediately gets a nice RBI double tonight. If the Indians make the playoffs, I like that they'll have the option of having Holt on the playoff roster. Him, Walters and Ramirez have all done a nice job stepping up as of late.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 am

Edible.. oh yes.. +1 on your comments.. also worth mentioning...

Game two of the Twins / Indians series in the Twin Cities..

Nice game by Aviles.. played well.. shouldn't have been charged with the error in the fifth inning... but if you ask him.. he would have said he should have had the ball.. he tried for a swipe/pick and the ball glanced off his glove. The Offensive side of Aviles' game was superb.. stayed right on the pitch in every at bat.. nice swipe of second base as well..

TJ House..pitched in trouble the entire night.. sort of reminds you of Doug Jones.. he never seemed to be comfortable unless there was a base runner or some drama going on the base paths.. He "lasted" 5.1, but just barely.. This was, by far, his best outing.. The results were good... the performance.. is what it's going to be..

Nice work by the Pen AGAIN.. and again.. and again.. These guys are solidly putting together an excellent season. CC Lee needs some help..

Zach Walters.. great approach.. he could use some more focus on bat to ball (ala Victor Martinez), but when the ball comes off his bat.. it goes.. This guy needs a home on the diamond.. and I don't quite see where that is right now...

Memo to C-Dicks: Sliding 101 class begins at 11 am central time today.. talk about a face full of home plate!!

In summary.. this was a pretty darn good 'team' win. one through nine. everyone got a hit except for Dr. Smooth (WTF.. GTFO here if you're not going to play).. Today we have Corey Kluber going to the hill.. I like our chances...

Hang in there folks.. 37 games to play with only Seattle and the Tigers in front of us and in the way to October Baseball.. The fun is just beginning to ramp up..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:11 am

Well.. Kluber didn't exactly dominate... nor did he pitch poorly.. no offense (save for the Zach Walters jack).. few runs.. and no sweep... Onto the Tigers !

Nice read from the Washington Post about Asdrubal's situation for the Nationals:

"....The acquisition of Asdrubal Cabrera has helped the Nationals not only on the field but in the clubhouse as well, writes James Wagner of the Washington Post. Manager Matt Williams offered nothing but praise for Cabrera’s professionalism, and shortstop Ian Desmond said he strives to live up to the clubhouse reputation and league-wide respect that Cabrera has built...."

Here's the link to the post story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nat ... ly-impact/
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:27 am

I'd still rather have Walters, but I noticed his home runs have come on breaking balls. Hughes had no problem blowing fastballs by him. His last AB he saw three straight fastballs and couldn't hit any of them. Bears watching.

This was a game of inches. Santana was thrown out at second by about two inches on one of the best throws I've ever seen by Arcia with the score tied at 1. We would have had runners on 2nd and 3rd with two out. And Brantley got called out on strikes on a pitch that was 6 inches outside. I've never seen Brantley spike his bat and bark at the ump before.

I'm not saying we would have won, but it would have made it more interesting.

The Twins scored three runs on routine ground balls right over the 1st and 3rd base bags. One hit the bag which allowed it to get past Santana. Game of inches.

No more low fastballs to Vargas next time. He misses every breaking ball, but homered and doubled on fastballs at the knees.

Now we need to sweep the Astros.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:51 am

ooops. misread the schedule.. I thought the Tigers were next up.. it's the Stros, then onto the AL Central for most of the rest of the season..

BTW... In spite of their record.. the Stros can hit.. at least they have since the All Star Break...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:08 pm

The pitching is keeping us in it but without more offense it won't be enough. Now Gomes is on the 7-day DL and Brantley is mired in a slump. Not good.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:54 am

And yet another day off... following a trio of series wins... First the O's, then the Twins and finally the Stros...

Trevor Bauer.. didn't have a bad inning.. pitched six strong.. had great command of his fastball..perhaps as good as I've seen it..and mixed in a few breaking balls and change ups to keep the Stros guessing.. It was a solid outing and a W for the Indians..

Papooses.. Tyler Holt and Jose Ramirez are making a spot for themselves.. Holt had such great jumps on both of those Krause line drives.. the diving catches were pretty good too.. Jose Ramirez gets to every thing.. if it's within ten steps of him.. he has the range to get there. He's going to make a fine second baseman for the Indians... soon.. Both of these young Wahoo's put the bat on the ball.. If not for the presence of Michael Bourn at the top of the lineup, Holt and Ramirez wouldn't be a bad 1, 2 in the lineup.. It's only 20 AB's for Holt.. but he stings the ball, sometimes with a little giddy up, to all fields. Ramirez, getting a chance to play regularly now, is hitting over .300 for the month.. This is the kind of boost the Indians need..

Defense: What happened to all the errors?.. seemed like there were one or two every game.. not now..

The SP's & Pen.. what can you say about this group that doesn't start and end with hyperbole?.. The pen is just flat out getting slaughtered by the Starting Pitching staff who have to be damn near perfect to edge ahead? Both groups are showing what effectiveness is.. The Indians may not score a lot of runs.. but, they sure as hell don't give any away.. This pitching staff is just CRUSHING it..

Onto the SouthSiders and no Sale...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 am

Big win last night to keep hope alive. We need to beat teams like the White Sox who are in free fall losing 13 of 17 and six in a row. If we lose to this team we might as well pack it in.

The Tribe has not been able to beat lefties, especially on the road, and they have never beaten Quintana, so last night's win was not easy. Especially with House giving up six runs in less than five innings. He doesn't match up well against the Sox - too many good right-handed hitters. Righties light him up like nobody's business. His OBP is .381 and slugging is .492 against righties. Tito should have got him out of there before he gave up that gopher to Ramirez. I can't see him even as a #5 starter next year.

I love what the fan that D-Man quoted in his column said about Walters: "Looks like Grady, hits like Branyan." So far that's so true. Except for the switch-hitting part.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Big win last night to keep hope alive. We need to beat teams like the White Sox who are in free fall losing 13 of 17 and six in a row. If we lose to this team we might as well pack it in.

The Tribe has not been able to beat lefties, especially on the road, and they have never beaten Quintana, so last night's win was not easy. Especially with House giving up six runs in less than five innings. He doesn't match up well against the Sox - too many good right-handed hitters. Righties light him up like nobody's business. His OBP is .381 and slugging is .492 against righties. Tito should have got him out of there before he gave up that gopher to Ramirez. I can't see him even as a #5 starter next year.

I love what the fan that D-Man quoted in his column said about Walters: "Looks like Grady, hits like Branyan." So far that's so true. Except for the switch-hitting part.

He copied that assessment..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Big win last night to keep hope alive. We need to beat teams like the White Sox who are in free fall losing 13 of 17 and six in a row. If we lose to this team we might as well pack it in.

He copied that assessment..

McAllister is performing very well at Columbus. He was good last year - but has struggled for some reason this year.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:56 am

Dud-ley do wrong for the offense all night long....2 runs doesn't usually mean a W is in the offing...

Nice swing and clout by Chisenhall.. best swings in close to three weeks for him over the last couple of games..

Kluber with a K pitched like a good starting pitcher.. not a dominating / lights out starting pitcher. It's so easy to get spoiled

Now onto the rubber game of the series. The Indians appear to have the CWSox as their "down" team in the AL Central this year. Much like the Tigers were their down team last year.. If Carlos Carrasco can continue to build on his performances over his last four starts (Impressive stats: 22 IP, 4 ER, 1.64 ERA, 22 K's, 3 BB's, 0.73 WHIP) then the chances the Indians get a W for the fourth series in a row...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:34 am

They needed to beat the White Sox with Kluber on the mound against a mediocre right-hander. They can't afford to lose games like this. Once again the offense let the team down. When you have a guy like Dickerson, a 32-year-old career minor leaguer who clearly can't hit major league pitching, coming up to bat with two on and two out in the 9th, you know you're not a playoff team.

David Murphy would have been the perfect hitter in that situation, but he's hurt. They're saying Raburn has not been right since running into a fence in spring training, and I believe it because he can't even buy a hit in Columbus. This would have been a perfect situation for Giambi to pinch hit, but guess what - he's rehabbing. So they send up Dickerson with the game on the line.

Swisher was playing on bad knees all year, and I'll bet Masterson's fall off in velocity and effectiveness is directly related to his knee problem. Bourn missed a lot of time with a bad hammy. Kipnis missed time with an oblique injury and they say he won't be 100% until next year.

Just too many injuries and guys playing hurt. So now we have a bunch of minor leaguers like Dickerson, Holt, JRam, Perez and Walters platooning.

Holt got off to a hot start, hitting .400 in his first 20 AB's, but that's clearly a fluke. Dickerson cooled off fast, and so will Holt. Walters has hit some big HR's, but he's also batting .200. He makes a ton of outs.

JRam and Perez have been very impressive, especially with the glove. JRam needs to hit for a higher average if he's to be an every day player, but he's only 21, so that could easily happen.

After these next two series against KC and Detroit, I think they'll be out of it.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:45 am

Put another W in the books.. and another series win.. now 5-0-1 in their last six with four in a row..

Nice outing by Carrasco.. He must have had strike one to over 80 % of the CWSox hitters he faced.. He continues to be impressive in his starts.. his fifth.. Now up to 28.2 IP w/ 5 ER or an ERA of 1.57 during his starts.. Solid command is the hallmark of his starts (over 70 % strikes, most in excellent spots). It will be nice to see how he manifests this late season run with the possible post season and off season. Perhaps he will give the full wind up another try?..

Bourn the igniter....two triples is pretty special.. pretty special indeed..

First Pitch/3-0 counts: More aggression is needed by Indians hitters.. Ty Van Barkingdog needs to push this agenda.. First pitch fast ball, down the middle.. SWING AT IT !! ditto 3-0 count pitch..

Broadcaster Manning: The reason a hitter swings at a pitch when a runner is attempting to steal is to give the runner the very briefest of a brief advantage of not allowing the catcher to come out of his squat and throw earlier.. The idea that batters.. especially young ones like Jose Ramirez & Zach Walters may be able to see a runner trying to advance & change what they've been taught over and over in the minors is beyond their capability.. Sure, the Indians would love to have another runner in scoring position... Expectations for these kids to make that fine of an adjustment.... not yet...

Zach Walters long fly.. just a little under it.. otherwise it would have been 7 home runs that gave the Tribe..yada yada..

The Pen.. Shocking!!.. Cody Allen actually let an inherited runner score.. First time in weeks for him...

Onto the BIG weekend series against the Royal.. A series win is ESSENTIAL.. First pitching matchup should be telling..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 am

Still four games behind Seattle with 30 to play. Not going to get it done without more offense. The Tribe has scored three runs or less in four out of their last five games, and those games were against Houston and Chicago, two of the worst teams in baseball.

At least Gomes is supposed to be back tonight, but Roberto Perez has done a great job filling in. He clearly belongs in the bigs.

The emergence of Carrasco from being buried at the bottom of the bullpen (how's that for alliteration?) to a FOR starter might be the biggest development of the year. Bauer's emergence as a dependable #3 might be the second. The Indians could actually have one of the best 1-2-3 starters in baseball next year. And Salazar has allowed three earned runs or less in five of his six starts since coming back from the minors. Could be a very nice rotation next year. It's pretty damn good right now.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chiefroy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:48 pm

We now have a guy at Columbus who, "Looks like Branyan, hits like Branyan."

And Outman is out, man. Traded to Yanks for cash or PTBNL.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Always funny to see the Indians bring back Russ Branyan. He might be needed down in CBus when the Tribe pulls some guys up for September, and the Clippers are still in the playoff hunt. I'm thinking that means Aguilar is heading up here soon, which is good. I want to see more of Aguilar against major league pitching, especially lefties.

Walters' lack of walks is very concerning thus far. He's not even Russ Branyan as a hitter if he's walking around 7% of the time (still better than Mike Aviles, though). Right now, he's not even a "Three True Outcomes" hitter like Branyan, Mark Reynolds, Jack Cust, Adam Dunn, etc... he's down to just two. Hopefully the BABIP normalizes and his average goes up.

Ramirez gets some props for hustling out a would-be double play. The extra out gave the team the winning run in the finale against Chicago. I really like what we've seen from him defensively and he's proving to be an acceptable hitter and a very good runner. He's going to make Lindor earn a promotion and playing time next year, and I quite like that.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:08 pm

" He's going to make Lindor earn a promotion and playing time next year, and I quite like that. "

And when Lindor comes he's going to force another challenging decision at 2b!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Aaaaaaah.. it's a beautiful day.. let's play two !!...

Game one.. over and done.. Kluber was dominating.. The defense chipped in.. the offense scored early and often.. Made this one a quick one.

Onto Game Two.. TJ House and the boys hope to close the sweep of the double header.. this one looks like a Spring Training game that follows a long bus ride the previous day.. who are these guys?....

Game two... not much offense.. but, just enough.. Carlos Santana with the solo shot.. Bourn with a push bunt single and eventually he scored the insurance run to support the fabulous pitching of TJ House for seven innings.. There were a couple of bone head plays by Aviles (short arming the catch of a broken bat spinner, cutting across in front of Jose Ramirez only to boot the ball) and Kipnis (dropping a perfectly thrown strike from Roberto Perez in an attempt to gun down a base stealing rabbit in Schafer) that resulted in being "not relevant" while Shaw-Shank was on the hill in the 8th.. Then, after Cody Allen didn't give Mauer anything to hit. he set down the Twins pretty efficiently, thereafter..

All in all, a pretty nice win for the Tribe.. Two games, 10 runs scored, all but 2 runs prevented in 18 innings..

Updating the standings: It's getting more and more interesting.. The full flaming crash and burn the A's are doing is putting four teams (A's, Detroit, Seattle & the Indians) all within 3 1/2 games of each other for two spots in the playoffs. Add one game (to 4 1/2) and it's five teams for three spots.. The Hunt for October on the North coast is in full swing!!! You could tell the excitement is ramping up by the friends and family gathering of 12,637 at Progressive Field who whooped and hollered the Indians to a pair of W's..

Only 16 games and half of one inning to go.. Within 3 1/2 of a spot in October.. The "real and urgent" pennant race begins tomorrow in the motor city.. where the tigers have been slightly worse than they have been on the road...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:14 am

A lot of pressure on Carrasco tonight to shut down the Tigers. The way the Indians have been hitting, I don't see them scoring a lot of runs off David Price, who held them to one run in seven innings 12 days ago.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:34 am

Theeeeee weekend series....

of

Theeeee season is upon us....

Carlos Carrasco versus David Price...

Carrasco, since his start against the Yankees has given up 3 earned runs in 38.2 IP's good for a 0.70 ERA.. He has a 42/4 K:BB and a 4-0 record... This is some kind of special.. even to the point of unbelievable..

David Price.. has been David Price.. & a nasty lefty on the road for the Featherheads has been brutal.

There are a few keys to this game that are musts and have to be observed/executed...

1. Carrasco has to rekindle the nasty head-hunter like reputation he was once accused of, but, for only one hitter. EVERY TIME HE's AT BAT. UP AND IN.. Don't make him bleed, make him scream!!!..

2. Score no less than 5 runs..

With that, the Indians could be looking at a first game W.. and that portends well for a wild and wonderful Wahoo weekend....

..and it could distract from the inevitable moral victory at First Energy..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 pm

So what are the chances Carrasco starts both games tomorrow?

Shaw and Allen are already used. If he gets them out 1-2-3, there's only about 20 minutes between games. If he struggles and the Royals tie it, he could go multiple innings.

It's an unlikely prospect, but we're still alive in wild card with only home games left.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:31 am

Interesting idea, but I doubt it. The Royals have the bottom third of their lineup due up - Moustakas, Kratz, and Escobar. Moustakas hits left-handed and Crockett has been announced as the Tribe's pitcher. I'm thinking Francona sticks with Crockett here.

Kratz is a right-handed catcher hitting .214. I'm sure he'll be pinch-hit for. Escobar is right-handed. My guess is we start with Crockett against Moustakas, then Tito goes with a right-hander - probably Atchison since Shaw and Allen have already pitched.

It would be interesting to see Carrasco get a save and a win in the same day.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:48 am

Well... the suspended game wasn't without drama.. Atchison was the pitcher and he closed out the game after giving up a run and putting the tying run in scoring position. Not exactly a 1-2-3 type inning.. but it got the job done.. FWIW.. the crowd, even though pretty darn small, was really whooping it up as the last out on that pop up ended it.. You could feel the frenzy building...

Then.. the bottom of the first inning.. bases loaded, the fans going crazy and nothing.. I mean NOTHING.. Carlos jumped on the first pitch that was about shoulder height and popped out.. Gomes watched a third strike go by (I couldn't tell if it was high or outside or both..but it wasn't a strike).. that pretty much ended it for the Indians scoring chances..

Chris Giminez playing defense in THE biggest series of the season while Carlos Santana cooled his jets on the bench.. makes no sense.. It looked like the line drive to Giminez's left hit the outside of his closed glove.. WTF is that !!?????? Playing Gimenez in this game was a POOR decision.. The ball off Jose Ramirez's glove... was one of those do or die plays.. after all is said and done.. whether he made the play or not really didn't matter..

I don't understand what JB Shuck is doing on the field or at bat for this team...
I don't understand what Chris Gimenez is doing on the field or at bat for this team...
I don't understand what Justin Sellers is doing on the field or at bat for this team...

10,000 people got to witness the continued excellence of Carlos Carrasco. Ditto to Zach McAllister, who, imho, has the making of a long career if he can swallow his ego and realize his best spot may be in the pen as a lights out RP/Closer. The game could have easily been a 0-0 game going late into the night.. When the Indians don't catch the ball.. they lose.. Last night.. was no exception...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 am

Yeah, you can't expect to beat a good team in crunch time with career minor leaguers in the lineup. Still...if Santana had been patient and waited for a pitch he could hit, we could have at least taken a lead early. Santana would have caught that line drive. It was a winnable game. The injuries caught up with us.

The knee injury to Masterson is what killed this season. If he was healthy and able to pitch to his capability, we'd be in first place and this series wouldn't matter. He only won four games for the Tribe this year. His ERA since going to St. Louis is 7.53, and that's in a league where the pitchers bat.

It will be interesting to see where he lands next year, and if he has off-season surgery. If he's fully healthy he'll be a bargain for some team.

He should have taken the Tribe's offer last winter, but he got greedy.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 am

I hate to nitpick, but why wasn't Aguilar at 1B?
It's a small point, but I think it shows Tito doesn't have much confidence in him.
He certainly hasn't been exposed on the major league level yet.
Look for him to be a trade chip in the off season.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 am

Been awhile since I have posted - as I have a jynx complex that has grown into a possible mental illness.. That Said..

There is absolutely NO REASON to DH Santana at this point of the season IF Gimenez is going to play 1st over Aguilar or even Chisenhall. I'd rather see Chiz against a lefty than watch Gimenez get to take some hacks.. What are you doing Tito???? Trying to prove how much smarter you are than everybody else? It's do or die time and playing guys like Gimenez, Sellers and Shuck smells like a rotting corpse.

In case Hermie comes back - I can sort of get Sellers, Holt and Shuck.. But Gimenez over Santana/Aguilar? Come on now! I can't believe I am saying it but I rather see Giambi in there. Ug.... PLAY AGUILAR!
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:I hate to nitpick, but why wasn't Aguilar at 1B?
It's a small point, but I think it shows Tito doesn't have much confidence in him.
He certainly hasn't been exposed on the major league level yet.
Look for him to be a trade chip in the off season.

You are not nitpicking Ghost, it is beyond a fair question. I would love to see a reporter press Francona on this.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Kipnis22 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:35 pm

I just dont understand how you play Giminez, Ramirez, Holt and Aviles all in the same day in a must win game. Ah well like Tony tweeted last week on aguliar, actions speak louder then words and actions say Francona has no idea what he's doing and this is not a playoff team this year.

Winter Meetings can no longer come soon enough
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby timdav » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:20 pm

This season is all but over after a big Royals lead Tuesday night late in the game.

I've been as critical of the front office as anybody. But, upon a bit of reflection....it's it really their fault?

With an ownership who's inability to invest enough money in players, scouting, and player development in order to even have a reasonable shot at a championship caliber potential....the front office's every move has to be perfect with no misses or major off-years. Nobody's perfect...especially when you're dealing with human beings. Talk about a GM and front office with their hands almost tied behind their backs!

This organization does not have enough revenue to buy its way out of mistakes, human failures.

Unless the Dolans get a well-heeled partner or they sell to a Dan Gilbert-like wealthy owner....don't expect things to change much. 2 or 3 years out of 10 the Tribe gives us hope. ..but, likely not another WS ring without a miracle & total lining up of the C-town planets. (And, they wonder why attendance is what it is?).

But, hey: lots of dollar dog and fireworks promotions. More than you ever thought possible. Now, THAT'S major league entertainment, don't you think? :)
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 pm

What can't be ignored is how the young Indians' starters have emerged in the second half after struggling in the first half, going back to the minors with some specific things to work on, and re-tooling. Here are the splits, which I think are pretty amazing.

Carrasco. Pre-All-Star Game: 2-3, 3.74 ERA. Post All-Star: 6-3, 1.77

Bauer. Pre: 3-4, 3.84. Post: 2-4, 4.26

Salazar. Pre: 1-4, 5.53. Post: 5-3, 3.06

House. Pre: 1-2, 4.40. Post: 3-1, 2.60

Kluber. Pre: 9-6, 3.01. Post: 8-3, 1.88

Other than Bauer, who was about the same, the other four starters dramatically improved in the second half. If they can all continue to pitch at roughly that level, or fairly close to it, for the ENTIRE 2015 season, this team will win 90 games with no problem.

If they can get Kipnis, Swisher, and Bourn healthy and keep them healthy, and add a right-handed BSD, they should do very, very well.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chiefroy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:46 pm

timdav wrote:This season is all but over after a big Royals lead Tuesday night late in the game.

I've been as critical of the front office as anybody. But, upon a bit of reflection....it's it really their fault?

With an ownership who's inability to invest enough money in players, scouting, and player development in order to even have a reasonable shot at a championship caliber potential....the front office's every move has to be perfect with no misses or major off-years. Nobody's perfect...especially when you're dealing with human beings. Talk about a GM and front office with their hands almost tied behind their backs!

This organization does not have enough revenue to buy its way out of mistakes, human failures.

Unless the Dolans get a well-heeled partner or they sell to a Dan Gilbert-like wealthy owner....don't expect things to change much. 2 or 3 years out of 10 the Tribe gives us hope. ..but, likely not another WS ring without a miracle & total lining up of the C-town planets. (And, they wonder why attendance is what it is?).

But, hey: lots of dollar dog and fireworks promotions. More than you ever thought possible. Now, THAT'S major league entertainment, don't you think? :)

C'mon man.

The ONLY player on this team with a multi-year deal who has actually EARNED his salary in 2014 from day 1 is Michael Brantley. Santana finally came to life after a 2 month snooze, but what else have we gotten? The FO wanted Rayburn, the Dolan's made him a millionaire. The front office wanted Murphy, fine...12 million. Kipnis.....? set for life.

Do I even have to mention Bourn and Swisher? You think the Dolans should fix things by giving this front office MORE cash to throw away? Was it Dolan's fault we threw away a dirt-cheap Aaron Harang and our starting pitching went to shit? How would they feel if Masterson had took the money offered and gave back his disaster of a year?

The whole problem with MLB is TOO much money is being paid for too little production. "Human Beings" are getting "RICH"....regardless of how they perform. Mistake signings, mistake decisions, mistake pitches, mistake swings...they're all the same thing...MISTAKES. The team that makes the fewest plays the best. And become winners.

If I were owner, I'd tell Antonetti, "Want more money to spend? Want to keep your job? Then quit fucking up. Do your job better. Pass it down the line."
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Kipnis22 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 pm

Chiefroy wrote:
timdav wrote:This season is all but over after a big Royals lead Tuesday night late in the game.

C'mon man.

The ONLY player on this team with a multi-year deal who has actually EARNED his salary in 2014 from day 1 is Michael Brantley. Santana finally came to life after a 2 month snooze, but what else have we gotten? The FO wanted Rayburn, the Dolan's made him a millionaire. The front office wanted Murphy, fine...12 million. Kipnis.....? set for life.

Do I even have to mention Bourn and Swisher? You think the Dolans should fix things by giving this front office MORE cash to throw away? Was it Dolan's fault we threw away a dirt-cheap Aaron Harang and our starting pitching went to shit? How would they feel if Masterson had took the money offered and gave back his disaster of a year?

The whole problem with MLB is TOO much money is being paid for too little production. "Human Beings" are getting "RICH"....regardless of how they perform. Mistake signings, mistake decisions, mistake pitches, mistake swings...they're all the same thing...MISTAKES. The team that makes the fewest plays the best. And become winners.

If I were owner, I'd tell Antonetti, "Want more money to spend? Want to keep your job? Then quit fucking up. Do your job better. Pass it down the line."

and Tito would be telling you to stfu and gtfo. Theres a reason theres an out in his contract if CA is fired, and you can bet your life savings he is 100% gone if Antonetti is fired, and who can blame him?
Kipnis22
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Edible14 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:32 am

Kipnis22 wrote:I just dont understand how you play Giminez, Ramirez, Holt and Aviles all in the same day in a must win game. Ah well like Tony tweeted last week on aguliar, actions speak louder then words and actions say Francona has no idea what he's doing and this is not a playoff team this year.

This is pretty much the debate as it comes with managers. You can hire a guy who will make all the right managerial decisions. Who will put out the statistically best order, who will eschew the bunt most of the time, who will put out the very best possible lineups and who will generate the best possible outcomes. That manager is Manny Acta. That manager won't get the most out of his players because the players simply won't respect a lot of what he's doing and he can't relate to them. We know this because we've seen it.

So the Indians went the other way. They hired the most player-friendly manager in baseball. He's a guy that guys love to play for, and he's a guy that gets a lot out of his players. But Francona does use the bunt in baffling ways and far too frequently. He does stick to guys that shouldn't be stuck to. And he does make a lot of questionable calls. But that's the tradeoff you take for a guy whose staff turns Ubaldo Jimenez into something useable for a season. For a guy who gets something out of Jason Giambi, Ryan Raburn and Scott Kazmir last year. For a guy who gets Brantley to become a borderline MVP finalist. That's what you take when you take Francona. I don't think we're a better team with anyone else at the helm.

The issue this year is that we're dealing with some growing pains from guys like Salazar, House and Bauer. We're dealing with injuries and ineffectiveness that have sapped the veterans of their productivity far earlier than thought. Say what you will about Swisher, he was a solid gamble when the Indians brought him in. Sure, he was 31, but he had been consistent with the bat for 8 years and the biggest strike against him as a player was his defense, which figured to be mitigated slightly by moving him to 1B/DH. He's fallen off a cliff this year in a way not predicted by any statistical model.

I know that there's always a want to put blame out there when the team doesn't make the playoffs. There's blame to be had. The front office not keeping Harange, not putting a QO on Kazmir and sinking big money into Kipnis and Murphy are all looking bad now (on balance, the contracts to Santana, Brantley and Gomes are great for the team). You look at the players and aside from Raburn, Kipnis, Aviles and Swisher... the guys who were expected to produce did so. Some moreso than expected (Chisenhall). Brantley stepped up. Santana bounced back from a rough start and got back to his old ways. Gomes is a top 5 catcher now. Bourn was hurt a lot, but managed to post a positive WAR despite limited time. Ramirez took control at SS and provides good defense there. Murphy even did what he was brought in to do, although perhaps didn't exceed expectations.

I look at the team and I don't see any black holes of suck. There's no Shelly Duncan/Johnny Damon platoon or Chris Perez at closer. I see a lot of mixed successes. The front office made some great moves and some bad ones. The manager does some good things and some bad things. The players all had mixed success. But I also see a lot of young guys who have a chance to grow, and a lot of old guys who can finally get out of the way. That's the path to improvement for this team. Maybe there's reason to think Swisher can bounce back a little. Maybe Bourn can stay at least above-average. But Giambi, Raburn, Aviles, Dickerson, and Gimenez need to go. This is a team that needs to find a little lightning next year, and betting on those guys is not acceptable. We need to see if Aguilar, Walters, Lindor, Holt, Ramsey, Moncrief and Urshela can be the next Yan Gomes. We need to let Carrasco and Bauer settle in, because they're our best hope next year.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors