Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Off-Season Thread (Rumors & Notes)

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
El Em wrote:From Nightengale -- The #Yankees would like to grab #indians Masterson in a 3-team trade involving CF Gardner if they can pull it off.

So who's a good fit for Gardner? On its face, this does not seem likely to return "enough" to the Indians.

Gardner was actually worth nearly the same as Masterson per fangraphs and has been worth more over the past 4 seasons. Wouldn't trade a pitcher for a non-power hitting outfielder though with the depth we have out there.

Classic Hermie....

Not trying to nit pick... But........Well actually..... But..... That may be true but....... If you ever needed a prime example of a "Hermie-ya" (Hernia) look no further..

Just stirring your gravy Hermie, but seriously lol........

So...you think we should trade Masterson for Gardner then I take it? Since you don't like my post and all, and I said we shouldn't...

100% YES!!! But only if we throw in Acab.... :rolleyes :eek :mrgreen
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Jerry Crasnick reports Indians among teams interested in Mitchel Boggs
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:52 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Jerry Crasnick reports Indians among teams interested in Mitchel Boggs

Worth kicking the tires for the right price, which would be a ML deal I think.... He sure melted down this past season but the optimist says "more reason to overachieve this year".
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian 27m

Francona called Masterson Tuesday, told pitcher: "Like it or not, you're not getting rid of us." Felt trade rumors were getting out of hand.

Probably for the best...still hope they extend him when or before the Arbitration process starts!
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:28 pm

El Em wrote:Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian 27m

Francona called Masterson Tuesday, told pitcher: "Like it or not, you're not getting rid of us." Felt trade rumors were getting out of hand.

Probably for the best...still hope they extend him when or before the Arbitration process starts!

Yeah I think the trade rumors are just the media letting things get out of control. Them just saying "Yanks want Masterson in 3 team deal is so specific it sounds like BS. We've heard it a million times that teams will always listen on a player, media lets it get out of control
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Assuming he would have accepted our offer, would you have been with netting Bartolo Colon at 2/20?

As I have said before, the new economics/budgeting are sometimes hard for me to grasp, but I still get the impression that the Tribe is near their limit...the second year kills me on Colon, so I guess I'm happy we did not rise up to meet or beat the Mets in this case. Not to say Bart could not have another very nice year...
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:02 pm

El Em wrote:Assuming he would have accepted our offer, would you have been with netting Bartolo Colon at 2/20?

As I have said before, the new economics/budgeting are sometimes hard for me to grasp, but I still get the impression that the Tribe is near their limit...the second year kills me on Colon, so I guess I'm happy we did not rise up to meet or beat the Mets in this case. Not to say Bart could not have another very nice year...

2yr/$20M for Colon!? dang....$10M isn't bad but never would have given him 2 years....

As far as the Tribe being near their limit....assuming the limit is $85M (may or may not be true) then they'd have about $5-6M left. Enough for a decent closer probably but not sure a starter is in the cards without a trade.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:52 pm

El Em wrote:Assuming he would have accepted our offer, would you have been with netting Bartolo Colon at 2/20?

Simple answer: yes

Two years of the chubby chucker wearing Chief Wahoo on his sleeve would be slightly more expensive than what the expected price was projected to be for Scott Kazmir. Bartolo is a better pitcher..or he's been a better pitcher recently..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Per The John Heyman

Indians, aiming to replace Perez, make offer to John Axford

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Indians are looking closely at John Axford as a potential replacement for closer Chris Perez, who was let go.

Cleveland is believed to have made an offer to Axford, who himself was nontendered by the Cardinals because of the probability he was due for a significant raise from his $5 million 2013 salary.

The Cubs, Orioles and Mariners are also interested in filling closer holes. Baltimore is believed to be looking at Grant Balfour, and have Axford and Perez as secondary options, but the Cubs may have Axford higher on their list. Axford was a successful and at times dominating closer with the Brewers before being replaced by them, then dealt to the Cardinals.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

Simple answer: yes

Two years of the chubby chucker wearing Chief Wahoo on his sleeve would be slightly more expensive than what the expected price was projected to be for Scott Kazmir. Bartolo is a better pitcher..or he's been a better pitcher recently..

Yours may well prove to have been the right answer -- not like it is unreasonable in this market... but the Indians fan in me makes me risk adverse with a 40 year old...perhaps to my detriment, but if I have limited ammo, I am inclined to fire elsewhere. Saving money to extend Masty is ok with me too.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby go_tribe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:24 am

Im assuming we could have nabbed colon for slighty less than the mets given the history and fact we'll contend
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 am

go_tribe wrote:Im assuming we could have nabbed colon for slighty less than the mets given the history and fact we'll contend

That's very presumptuous. It was well know Colon wanted at least 2 years and most teams, including the Indians only were willing to go 1 year with him. In the end, money always talks.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby go_tribe » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:21 am

Iv been pushing the colon signing more than any other free agent in years. He was the perfect fit, if he wouldnt take a one year deal then they shouldv gone 2. Hes still an ace even with his age and yet got less than kazmir whos upside is a 3. Im very disapointed we didnt add a guy that couldv taken our good rotation to the next level.

And yes ill stand by my belief he would have chosen cleveland over the mete for slightly less. A homecoming to a contender, perfect sense.
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 am

No sense in being nit-picky about what constitutes an Ace, as it is a somewhat nebulous term. Colon may well fit certain patameters.
I really like Bart, and he had an excellent season in 2013. Still, he has not thrown 200 innings in 7 seasons, and last season was a real outlier, making it very hard for me to believe in somewhat similar production over the next two seasons...much more likely he seriously regresses. He would be a gamble for a team like the Tribe.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 am

@jaysonst: #Indians, #Royals & #Rangers among teams showing interest in Shaun Marcum. Recovering well after Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@jaysonst: #Indians, #Royals & #Rangers among teams showing interest in Shaun Marcum. Recovering well after Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery

Could get on board with this if hes healthy. Was very good with Toronto 3 years ago, and good with the Brewers in his short stint there. Last year seems to be the anomaly due to injury.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby El Em » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Sorry to see Joba going to the Tigers for 2.5m+...nothing to lose sleep over,bu he struck me as a strong, low cost pick up.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 pm

@JeffPassan: Indians and Padres both in on Joaquin Benoit at two years, $14M+. Padres source says their deal may include a third-year option as well.

Not sure how I feel about 7 mill a year but the years aren't bad. Still want Jesse Crain or John Axford on a smaller deal.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby El Em » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Glad to read we are perhaps in the mix for Benoit at 2/14m...not sure if that will get it done, but I would be enthusiastic on that!
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:26 pm

I wouldn't say this is bad for Benoit...but I'd much rather have gotten Mujica who was paid $5M less....hell, I'd rather of had Mujica on 2yr/$12-14M...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby El Em » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Agree that Mujica was "cheap" in free agent terms, and would have been a good Tribe signing. As a pitcher in a similar price range, I prefer Benoit, if I could have just one of them. Might not land either...
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:52 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@JeffPassan: Indians and Padres both in on Joaquin Benoit at two years, $14M+. Padres source says their deal may include a third-year option as well.

Not sure how I feel about 7 mill a year but the years aren't bad. Still want Jesse Crain or John Axford on a smaller deal.

Crain.. okay..

The Axe Man.. yes..

I'm not a fan of Benoit...in any role..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby El Em » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:58 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

If you are not a fan, then you are not a fan -- no problem with that. What is it you do not like? Statistically (and as I have eye test/observed him) Benoit has been very good and very consistent.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:33 pm

El Em wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

If you are not a fan, then you are not a fan -- no problem with that. What is it you do not like? Statistically (and as I have eye test/observed him) Benoit has been very good and very consistent.

Agree.

Benoit is a good pitcher. I have no problem adding good players to this team for reasonable prices. If we are going to go the minor league deal route towards finding another starter or two, I would like to see us still sign another solid bullpen arm. Crain, Axford, Bailey, Veras, O Perez, Thorton, CHEN, and Boggs all have upside and could play a major factor if guys like Salazar, Bauer, or whoever else we may sign have trouble getting deep into games.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Tony believes a signing as big as the rumored Benoit deal would suggest that we are more likely to sign some minor league deals to find a starter, so some options are...

Scott Baker
Chris Capuano
Freddy Garcia
Jeremy Hefner
Jair Jurrjens
John Lannan
Jason Marquis
Jeff Niemann
Jake Westbrook
James McDonald
Kevin Slowey

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but these guys jumped out at me when looking at the list. Honestly, if I'm Antonetti, I would just give a list to Callaway and ask him who he thinks he could do the most work with. After witnessing the work Mickey did with Ubaldo, Kazmir, and Kluber, it may not be such a bad thing that we're putting ourselves in a position to sign 2-3 projects rather than risking outrageous sums of money on one guy.

Most of these guys are not high risk/high reward type players, but there are certainly a few of those out there, and I'm hoping that is where we are leaning to go with any minor league signings. James McDonald would probably be a great project for Callaway.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm not too enthusiastic about tapping out the budget signing one reliever that's older than 35 years old (Benoit and Balfour). I don't mind Benoit, but these relievers are so inconsistent year-to-year -- its tough to tie up $8 million in one reliever that will throw only 50 to 60 innings. I understand the Indians only have so many 40-man roster spots, but how about spreading out your risk with some cheaper options that have in the past demonstrated success in MLB?

David Aardsma, Nick Masset, Mitchell Boggs, Matt Guerrier, Chad Qualls, Matt Belisle, Wesley Wright, Kevin Gregg. These guys are available.

Some of these guys (maybe most) will end up sucking and a few have injury concerns, but these are cheap options that can be legitimate back of the bullpen options. These guys seem to be better fits for the Indians.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:26 am

El Em wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

His age and expense against limited resources.. with bullpen pitchers being volatile, it's a matter of when, not if they implode..

Seeing him with that "Olde English D" is not appealing as well..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Cleveland Indians ‏@Indians 48s
The #Indians today signed INF David Adams to a Major League contract. Split 2013 between the Yankees and AAA Scranton. Mostly at third base.

Cleveland Indians ‏@Indians 40s
Adams has a remaining Minor League option and less than one year of Major League service time. Was the Yanks' 3rd rd pick in '08 out of UVa
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:57 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I'm not too enthusiastic about tapping out the budget signing one reliever that's older than 35 years old (Benoit and Balfour). I don't mind Benoit, but these relievers are so inconsistent year-to-year -- its tough to tie up $8 million in one reliever that will throw only 50 to 60 innings. I understand the Indians only have so many 40-man roster spots, but how about spreading out your risk with some cheaper options that have in the past demonstrated success in MLB?

David Aardsma, Nick Masset, Mitchell Boggs, Matt Guerrier, Chad Qualls, Matt Belisle, Wesley Wright, Kevin Gregg. These guys are available.

Some of these guys (maybe most) will end up sucking and a few have injury concerns, but these are cheap options that can be legitimate back of the bullpen options. These guys seem to be better fits for the Indians.

Pretty sure Wesley Wright signed a lovely deal of 1.5m with the Cubs last week and Chad Qualls got a somewhat questionable 2 year contract worth 6m with Houston.

Mitchell Boggs and Matt Guerrier intrigue me, and the Indians were linked to both this week during the winter meetings.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:59 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Cleveland Indians ‏@Indians 48s
The #Indians today signed INF David Adams to a Major League contract. Split 2013 between the Yankees and AAA Scranton. Mostly at third base.

Adams has a remaining Minor League option and less than one year of Major League service time. Was the Yanks' 3rd rd pick in '08 out of UVa

Perfectly fine with Adams/Cooper signings. Just why on major league deals given their track records on the DL?
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:21 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Cleveland Indians ‏@Indians 48s

Perfectly fine with Adams/Cooper signings. Just why on major league deals given their track records on the DL?

ML Deals means ML camp.. means ML Meal Money. means.. yada yada..

Not having to make a roster move coming out of spring training puts them one step closer to the show before they get out of the taxi in Goodyear...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 pm

It probably gave us a leg up on signing them vs. them signing a similar minor league deal elsewhere. I'm still somewhat surprised that Cooper would elect to sign here when there's Swisher and Santana ahead of him on the 1B depth chart. It seems to me like he would have been better suited to go somewhere like Tampa, where he would be in contention for a starting spot now, and at the very least would end up being option 2 behind a free agent signing who likely won't be a world-beater.

Seems like the Indians will likely sign a closer at some point, and I'd expect that to be the only other major league deal handed out via free agency. If the Indians feel the need to get another starter, I think they'll get one through trade. Everyone seems convinced that the Indians are closed to tapped out money-wise, so I don't think free agent starters (aside from maybe a couple of scrap heap/ minor league free agent deals) are in the cards. The only way I can see us getting a legitimate starter would be through trading Bourn or Cabrera along with a prospect or two.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Infante and Royals agree on four-year deal.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:30 am

Some rumors that Gavin Floyd is close to signing a 1 year deal with an undisclosed team.

I would be quite ok if it were the Indians.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:13 am

GoTribe028 wrote:Some rumors that Gavin Floyd is close to signing a 1 year deal with an undisclosed team.

I read it's the other participant in the 1995 series.....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:Some rumors that Gavin Floyd is close to signing a 1 year deal with an undisclosed team.

I read it's the other participant in the 1995 series.....

Yeah, seeing today that it's likely the Braves.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:30 am

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Mark Shapiro "we will get a back end bullpen arm with closing experience in next week or 2"

Well I'm gonna make a bold prediction that we'll be signing a back end bullpen arm with closing experience in the next week or 2. :biggrin

Who we thinking? Axford? Benoit? Maybe someone we haven't really discussed, Jose Veras or Matt Thorton?
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 2m
The Indians are on the verge of signing reliever John Axford.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:30 am

A.Zajac wrote:Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 2m
The Indians are on the verge of signing reliever John Axford.

I'm OK with it, depending on the price tag of course. Tony points out there are multiple years of control left on Axford remaining. So could be good pickup. If not, we move on (yes I understand that's not what people like hearing).

Now, gimme Mitchell Boggs and Tony Sipp on minor league deals, just to give more options with a little upside/rebound possibility.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:23 am

BrianM wrote:Tony believes a signing as big as the rumored Benoit deal would suggest that we are more likely to sign some minor league deals to find a starter, so some options are...

Scott Baker
Chris Capuano
Freddy Garcia
Jeremy Hefner
Jair Jurrjens
John Lannan
Jason Marquis
Jeff Niemann
Jake Westbrook
James McDonald
Kevin Slowey

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but these guys jumped out at me when looking at the list. Honestly, if I'm Antonetti, I would just give a list to Callaway and ask him who he thinks he could do the most work with. After witnessing the work Mickey did with Ubaldo, Kazmir, and Kluber, it may not be such a bad thing that we're putting ourselves in a position to sign 2-3 projects rather than risking outrageous sums of money on one guy.

Most of these guys are not high risk/high reward type players, but there are certainly a few of those out there, and I'm hoping that is where we are leaning to go with any minor league signings. James McDonald would probably be a great project for Callaway.

I mentioned McDonald a few weeks ago but questioned his health, I never really found anything confirming his status for 2014. He's had some shoulder woes of late I believe.

Scott Baker IMO offers the best bang for your buck. Jake Westbrook would be fun for fans as a reunion, I'm just not sure he has much left to bring that Tomlin couldn't give you. Capuano has a bit of a track record and could be decent but John Lannan pops out to me as well.

Another couple names I'd add to that list would be Paul Maholm and previously mentioned Tommy Hanson.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 am

Like the Axford deal pending the financial commitment for 2014. $3M or less and I love it. $3-5M and think it's ok. Over $5M and not the biggest fan. IF you give him that much he's in for $6-7M in 2015 and $8+M in 2016 potentially in arbitration so really doesn't do a lot of good to have those extra year years of control. But if you can get him for cheap this year, lowers his potential financial commitments in 2015 and beyond and makes him more valuable to the club.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:08 pm

The only way the Ax Man brings value to the club is if his performance rises to the level he exhibited in 2011....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 pm

@SteveGilbertMLB: According to baseball source the #Dbacks are close to acquiring Addison Reed from #WhiteSox for Matt Davidson.

I recall some mentioning Davidson as a guy the Indians should target.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:09 pm

A lot of people are getting on the Axford deal, pointing out that he's very similar to Chris Perez. But I think that misses a key point - he's going to be Chris Perez at roughly half the cost with none of the off-field drama (and an extra two years of team control). And without a declining fastball, as Axford is actually pitching *harder* these last two years than in his great 2011 campaign. His issues are command, something that Callaway can hopefully help him fix.

It's not a sexy move, but it allows the team to be flexible. Just because Axford is signed doesn't mean he's automatically the closer all year. They've still got Pestano, Capps and Allen all as options in that bullpen who could be moved to closer if need be (maybe even Carrasco). If Axford looks really crummy out of the gate and Capps is healthy or Pestano has clearly rebounded, they can make the change. You can't say that if it's Benoit. Benoit would have commanded a 3-year deal, and at 36, I would be uneasy with such a move.

The Indians have a lot of relief options to pick and choose from right now. Axford adds some experience to the pile for cheap, and with some good upside. I believe Callaway and Francona can figure out a good setup for the team.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Per Ken Rosenthal, the Axford deal is a 1 year, $4.5M deal plus incentives.

Think this is an ok deal. More than I'd have liked but sadly price of relievers is just this high now. Still wish we'd have given this money to Mujica but o well...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Edible14 wrote:A lot of people are getting on the Axford deal, pointing out that he's very similar to Chris Perez. But I think that misses a key point - he's going to be Chris Perez at roughly half the cost with none of the off-field drama (and an extra two years of team control). And without a declining fastball, as Axford is actually pitching *harder* these last two years than in his great 2011 campaign. His issues are command, something that Callaway can hopefully help him fix.

It's not a sexy move, but it allows the team to be flexible. Just because Axford is signed doesn't mean he's automatically the closer all year. They've still got Pestano, Capps and Allen all as options in that bullpen who could be moved to closer if need be (maybe even Carrasco). If Axford looks really crummy out of the gate and Capps is healthy or Pestano has clearly rebounded, they can make the change. You can't say that if it's Benoit. Benoit would have commanded a 3-year deal, and at 36, I would be uneasy with such a move.

The Indians have a lot of relief options to pick and choose from right now. Axford adds some experience to the pile for cheap, and with some good upside. I believe Callaway and Francona can figure out a good setup for the team.

Good post, agree with most of this.

Not a huge fan of $4.5M plus incentives but don't think it's terrible. As said, it's less than Perez got. Plus you could argue he's better than Perez. His best seasons were definitely better than Perez's. Has a better K-rate and better groundball rate too. Worst case he's a sideways move from Perez IMO.

Wondering what the corresponding roster move will be. With the Phelps and Cooper additions the Tribe's 40-man is now full. A trade of an OFer would free up a spot. If they end up DFAing someone from the current roster instead though....Hermann? Barnes? I know they resigned Hermann but not much more than the league min, plus wouldn't be the first time the Tribe gave a reliever money then let them walk. Same goes for Wood I suppose.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Matt Albers will be wearing an Astros Uniform to start the 2014 season.. good for him....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 pm

According to Heyman, Axford too less money to come to Cleveland and to "close for winner".
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I like the Marcum signing. I think our expectations should be pretty low considering his health, but he may have more potential than any other starter who will sign a minor league deal this offseason.

Also, when your signing a minor league deal, you basically get to choose where to go, and he chose Cleveland. I like that. He obviously has a very good opportunity to break camp with us, but I would like to think that Kazmir's success had a lot to do with his decision. I'm giving Callaway the credit on this one. It would be nice to see Callaway gain a good repuation with reclamation projects. We could save a lot of money in the coming years if we could consistently fill the 5 spot in our rotation with someone who is trying to up their value in a contract year and pitching for basically league minimum.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm

BrianM wrote:I like the Marcum signing. I think our expectations should be pretty low considering his health, but he may have more potential than any other starter who will sign a minor league deal this offseason.

Also, when your signing a minor league deal, you basically get to choose where to go, and he chose Cleveland. I like that. He obviously has a very good opportunity to break camp with us, but I would like to think that Kazmir's success had a lot to do with his decision. I'm giving Callaway the credit on this one. It would be nice to see Callaway gain a good repuation with reclamation projects. We could save a lot of money in the coming years if we could consistently fill the 5 spot in our rotation with someone who is trying to up their value in a contract year and pitching for basically league minimum.

Not a big fan of this signing.. but, it's a minor league deal, so, it won't affect the major league roster. Best guess is that he will be left back in extended to get his stuff together. There isn't a very good history of this particular malady for a pitcher and full return to success.. Chris Carpenter had this and he was done.. around the same age.. We'll see.. very low risk.. huge upside if he can return..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors