Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Tigers almost done - again

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Tigers almost done - again

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 pm

The Tigers stand on the brink of elimination. That's a familiar place for them. I couldn't be more pleased. The Tigers are a team of overpaid underachievers. The didn't play an important game all year till the playoffs.

The Indians this year were classic overachievers. They did play important games this season, but lost most of them.

Thank God Francona doesn't manage Detroit.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Tigers almost done - again

Postby go_tribe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:34 pm

One of the many many reasons I hate the Tigers is people always are quick to point to Clevelands poor drafts and lack of home grown talent (which I'v always considered guys they've traded for and developed, such as ACab, Santana, Masterson, Brantley as home grown, but most dont for some reason) but the Tigers have absolutely 0 home grown or developed talent of their own besides Verlander. That super starting rotation was built on money and prospects for veteran talent. Their superstar slugger was traded for long after already establishing himself as a star. Prince Fielder is a FA buy, Vmart was ours then Bostons before signing, Peralta was traded for, it goes on and on. Detroit nothing more than a Yankee type free agent and overpriced players, and I love when they underachieve EVERY YEAR!
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:23 am

Thank you for likely jinxing this series... :mad
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 am

go_tribe wrote:One of the many many reasons I hate the Tigers is people always are quick to point to Clevelands poor drafts and lack of home grown talent (which I'v always considered guys they've traded for and developed, such as ACab, Santana, Masterson, Brantley as home grown, but most dont for some reason) but the Tigers have absolutely 0 home grown or developed talent of their own besides Verlander. That super starting rotation was built on money and prospects for veteran talent. Their superstar slugger was traded for long after already establishing himself as a star. Prince Fielder is a FA buy, Vmart was ours then Bostons before signing, Peralta was traded for, it goes on and on. Detroit nothing more than a Yankee type free agent and overpriced players, and I love when they underachieve EVERY YEAR!

Agree with this. Masterson maybe not since he did make the bigs but we turned him back into a starter. Sizemore belongs on that list too. Kid was in A-ball when we got him...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:07 am

Hermie13 wrote:
go_tribe wrote:One of the many many reasons I hate the Tigers is people always are quick to point to Clevelands poor drafts and lack of home grown talent (which I'v always considered guys they've traded for and developed, such as ACab, Santana, Masterson, Brantley as home grown, but most dont for some reason) but the Tigers have absolutely 0 home grown or developed talent of their own besides Verlander. That super starting rotation was built on money and prospects for veteran talent. Their superstar slugger was traded for long after already establishing himself as a star. Prince Fielder is a FA buy, Vmart was ours then Bostons before signing, Peralta was traded for, it goes on and on. Detroit nothing more than a Yankee type free agent and overpriced players, and I love when they underachieve EVERY YEAR!

Agree with this. Masterson maybe not since he did make the bigs but we turned him back into a starter. Sizemore belongs on that list too. Kid was in A-ball when we got him...

It's clearly a 'feather in the cap' of the player/personnel department to have a player drafted, developed and advance to become a major leaguer.. perhaps even a HOF'er.. The number of hoops a draftee has to jump through to get there is amazing. The comment about guys who have been acquired via trade.. eg Grady Sizemore, Santana..others.. who were never on a 40 man roster (perhaps?)... who never played a game above A+ Ball level....some "other" line in the sand.. is all part of what I refer as talent acquisition. The Indians ability to acquire talent, develop it, promote it.. and then.. sell it..is what their business model is all about.. It's not by accident that the minor league clubs (save for Zebullon) are all nearby.. It gives the Indians PR department the best chance to let the core fans know there is this superstar in the making in Akron..his name is Francisco.. and if you want to see a budding superstar.. this is who you want to watch.. maybe go see a minor league game?..etc..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 am

Never mind.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby go_tribe » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:51 am

well, we can start this thread over again when Boston has them on the ropes
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:37 am

go_tribe wrote:well, we can start this thread over again when Boston has them on the ropes

With the way both Verlander and Scherzer are pitching.. maybe not..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 pm

This series is a tough one for me... On one hand, I truly hate both teams. On the other, I kinda do want to root for the Tigers for the simple fact.. it makes our division look better.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Its hard, but I have to root for the Tigers. I live in Perrysburg, Leyland's hometown, and I honestly just like a lot of the guys on the roster. VMart deserves to win a championship before hes done. I'll mostly be cheering for that.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby go_tribe » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:12 pm

The only silver lining with Detroit winning would be Vmart
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:31 pm

VERY good point on VMart. Completely agree.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:15 am

There are a few teams that I can never root for. Even if my own brother was on the Tigers, I'd still root for them to lose...unless they were playing the Yankees.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:28 am

Hermie13 wrote:There are a few teams that I can never root for. Even if my own brother was on the Tigers, I'd still root for them to lose...unless they were playing the Yankees.

So, what you're saying is you have two favorite teams... the Indians and whoever's playing the Yankees that day?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:39 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:There are a few teams that I can never root for. Even if my own brother was on the Tigers, I'd still root for them to lose...unless they were playing the Yankees.

So, what you're saying is you have two favorite teams... the Indians and whoever's playing the Yankees that day?..

No. Just one favorite team: the Indians.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby go_tribe » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:39 pm

I used to hate the Yankees, and root against them no matter what. Then, after 2004, when all the Massholes came out of the Red Sox closet, I began hating Boston almost equally. As 2007 came and went, Boston was my least favorite team of all time. It's not just the Red Sox, but the combination of the Patriots, Bruins, Celtics and the fans that play the "we're such lovable losers, and underdogs" yet before 2004 the rest of their teams where amongst the all time storied winning franchises.

Then they win 2 WS from 2004-2007 and they try and play the "big bad yankees payroll" card, yet their payroll was just as high and has been just as high for 10 years.

Then comes the Miggy trade for Detroit, and all the spending and insane payroll garbage. American League favorites every year it seems, and always chokes. They've become worse than the Yankees, as only Verlander is a self develeoped contributor on that whole roster. I can't the teams that build this way, Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Tigers, Red Sox 2011.

So Detroit is my least favorite team, and I gladly cheer on the Red Sox to beat them in this series and the NL team to win it all.
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby BrianM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm

go_tribe wrote:I used to hate the Yankees, and root against them no matter what. Then, after 2004, when all the Massholes came out of the Red Sox closet, I began hating Boston almost equally. As 2007 came and went, Boston was my least favorite team of all time. It's not just the Red Sox, but the combination of the Patriots, Bruins, Celtics and the fans that play the "we're such lovable losers, and underdogs" yet before 2004 the rest of their teams where amongst the all time storied winning franchises.

Then they win 2 WS from 2004-2007 and they try and play the "big bad yankees payroll" card, yet their payroll was just as high and has been just as high for 10 years.

Then comes the Miggy trade for Detroit, and all the spending and insane payroll garbage. American League favorites every year it seems, and always chokes. They've become worse than the Yankees, as only Verlander is a self develeoped contributor on that whole roster. I can't the teams that build this way, Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Tigers, Red Sox 2011.

So Detroit is my least favorite team, and I gladly cheer on the Red Sox to beat them in this series and the NL team to win it all.

I don't like the idea of trying to buy championships either, but I treat the Tigers a little differently in this scenario. I want to say it was just talked about in a different forum, but as far as profit for ticket sales and concessions and what not, Mike Ilitch actually takes a deficit every year just so he can put a winning team on the field. I'm pretty sure they are the only team in baseball that takes a loss in this area. He really wants to win a championship, and his attitude towards it is great for the city and fans.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby go_tribe » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 pm

BrianM wrote:
go_tribe wrote:I used to hate the Yankees, and root against them no matter what. Then, after 2004, when all the Massholes came out of the Red Sox closet, I began hating Boston almost equally. As 2007 came and went, Boston was my least favorite team of all time. It's not just the Red Sox, but the combination of the Patriots, Bruins, Celtics and the fans that play the "we're such lovable losers, and underdogs" yet before 2004 the rest of their teams where amongst the all time storied winning franchises.

I don't like the idea of trying to buy championships either, but I treat the Tigers a little differently in this scenario. I want to say it was just talked about in a different forum, but as far as profit for ticket sales and concessions and what not, Mike Ilitch actually takes a deficit every year just so he can put a winning team on the field. I'm pretty sure they are the only team in baseball that takes a loss in this area. He really wants to win a championship, and his attitude towards it is great for the city and fans.

I'm aware of this, and don't care at all. They're in our division, they're from Michigan and they spend a billion dollars trying to win. I hate them
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:27 am

Leyland to the rescue !!..

It was broke.. so Leyland fixed it.. Austin Jackson has been making Mark Reynolds look like a contact hitter. Getting AJax out of the lead off spot was pure genius.. Putting Vmart in the clean up role with Jhonny P right behind him.. solid.. The ALCS is now a best of three a mighty impressive starting pitching match up on the docket..

Game 5 Jon Lester v Anibal Sanchez.. Should be a great game.. The winner of game five of an LCS that entered tied win the series 83 % of the time.. (that's five out of six times).. It's MUST win time..

Game 6 has the Red Sox committing to Buchholz.. while the Tigers won't way.

Game 7 as neither the Red Sox or the Tigers committing to anyone.. so, we shall see...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:47 am

I don't think I'd use "genius" to describe Leyland....after it took him 170+ games to move his best hitter (and the best hitter in baseball) out of the #3 spot and up to the #2 spot...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:54 am

Hermie13 wrote:I don't think I'd use "genius" to describe Leyland....after it took him 170+ games to move his best hitter (and the best hitter in baseball) out of the #3 spot and up to the #2 spot...

Note to Hermie: When using sarcasm as a means to communicate a message, use a code that will positively define the message as sarcasm..

e.g. :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes ".....Getting AJax out of the lead off spot was pure genius..." :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

smh...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Ha Ha, tigers lose! Very sweet! I feel like buying an ad in the Toledo Blade to rub the local tigers fans noses in it. I left Toledo at a young age to move to Florida but I remember wondering as a child why anyone from Ohio would root for a michigan team. Some of my schoolmates rooted for All of the michigan teams.

I'd root for the Taliban over the tigers.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:32 am

go_tribe wrote:
BrianM wrote:

I'm aware of this, and don't care at all. They're in our division, they're from Michigan and they spend a billion dollars trying to win. I hate them

Not to mention anyone who ever buys a Little Ceasars pizza is in effect, supporting the Detroit Tigers. Truthfully, anyone saying the Tigers are losing Ilitch money isn't looking at the whole picture. Buy Domino's.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:01 am

GoTribe028 wrote:Not to mention anyone who ever buys a Little Ceasars pizza is in effect, supporting the Detroit Tigers. Truthfully, anyone saying the Tigers are losing Ilitch money isn't looking at the whole picture. Buy Domino's.

Buy Marco's :cool
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:34 am

Jim Leyland out as manager. WOW.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:46 am

A.Zajac wrote:Jim Leyland out as manager. WOW.

I understand its more by his choice. I think most felt Tigers underachieved during the year. If so, a new voice might have a big impact.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Pretty disappointed in this news....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

Pretty disappointed in this news....

Look for the Tigers to promote from within.. someone like Tom Brookens.. he can be the man in charge & directly take the heat for waving Miggy to home.. then putting up the stop sign late... (tee hee hee).
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Ha Ha, tigers lose! Very sweet! I feel like buying an ad in the Toledo Blade to rub the local tigers fans noses in it. I left Toledo at a young age to move to Florida but I remember wondering as a child why anyone from Ohio would root for a michigan team. Some of my schoolmates rooted for All of the michigan teams.

I'd root for the Taliban over the tigers.

I'm still in Toledo Rocky. I barely know any Indians fans. We have basically become a Tiger Town. It sucks.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby indians1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Really? the tigers have been able to do what the indians can't. You point out that they traded for vets and money. The tigers went out and spent money on miguel cabrera, fielder and they were right. the indians spent money on swisher, bourn, reynolds and myers.

The tigers traded for players while remaining in contention. They made sly moves like the one for fister, sanchez, and the SS Iglesius.

I hate the tigers and root against them every time they play but if you don't respect the job dave dombrowski has done, then you don't know baseball. He is one of the top 3 GM's in baseball.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:22 pm

indians1 wrote:

Really? the tigers have been able to do what the indians can't. You point out that they traded for vets and money. The tigers went out and spent money on miguel cabrera, fielder and they were right. the indians spent money on swisher, bourn, reynolds and myers.

The tigers traded for players while remaining in contention. They made sly moves like the one for fister, sanchez, and the SS Iglesius.

I hate the tigers and root against them every time they play but if you don't respect the job dave dombrowski has done, then you don't know baseball. He is one of the top 3 GM's in baseball.

Tigers also spent on Dontrelle Willis...and were very, very wrong.

Unlike the Indians though, when the Tigers screw up with big money they can get around it. They also gave Victor Martinez big money...he misses a year and they are able to spend big to replace him in the lineup with Prince Fielder. If Swisher were to go down....the Tribe isn't going to go out and sign a guy for $100M+ to replace him. They just can't.

Dombrowski is a solid GM...but has been helped out a TON by the owner giving him so much money to play with.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby go_tribe » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:22 am

indians1 wrote:

I can assure you that I know baseball, and still don't respect Dombrowski as one of the top GM's in baseball. When allowed to spend endless amounts, it become easier to do your job. You are negative and selective in your examples as always, as Hermie said, for every Brett Myers signing there is a Yan Gomes trade. For every Miggy trade there is the Dontrelle Willis move. Not like he added an unknown in Cabrera and groomed him into a future HOFer, it was a money move by the Marlins and DD was given the green light money wise to pull the trigger, hardly a brilliant trade.

And really? Prince Fielder was a great signing? He's put up solid numbers for the first 2 years, but not worth half the money he's being paid. Have you read his postseason quotes? Not exactly a playoff warrior. It will only get worse as that HUGE contract goes on and on to a fat man with borderline all star talent that dwindles every year. Tigers can survive it with the amount of money they spend, but Cleveland never could.
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:40 am

I'm kind of indifferent on Dombrowski. By no means do I consider him an elite GM, but I don't think he's terrible either. I think he's okay. He's hit and missed just like every other GM. What he's been able to do with the starting staff is amazing. Bullpen is a different story. Cabrera.. right circumstances with FL to make that deal. Fielder getting overpaid but has paid okay dividends, but you'd like to see better because of the money. C and LF have been black holes for the most part. I thought the Hunter deal was a mistake, but he was a pretty decent addition.. Peralta turned the corner (who knew).. and I like the Iglesias trade. But he IS blessed with having an owner with cash that he's willing to spend, let's not kid ourselves here.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 am

So Leyland has resigned. I think he's a fine guy, but he might have Hargrove disease. The ability to get close, but no cigar.
Unless their new manager is Joe Maddon, I'm not worried their guy will out manage Francona.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:31 am

Tim Wallach has interviewed for the job.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m
Source: #Tigers to hire Ausmus as manager. First reported @AdamSpolane.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am

A.Zajac wrote:Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m
Source: #Tigers to hire Ausmus as manager. First reported @AdamSpolane.

Tiger fans are going to miss Jim Leyland... NOT !!
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors