RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Just remember....

About a year ago... the Indians had just finished off a series.. that included a THUMPING of Justin Verlander and the Tigers.. The Indians went on to have a record that was over 30 games under .500 the rest of the way.. The game tonight..in a warm and windy setting.. is as close to a 'crucial' game as the Indians have played so far this season..

Tomorrow and for the next 17 days will see game day, everyday.. so.. tonight needs to be the start of it...we shall see....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 pm

A few random thoughts...

- Watching Giambi bat anymore makes me cringe. I get that he's a good guy to keep in the clubhouse, but that can only go so far. For as much playing time as he's been getting, someone can do much better. It's time to cut the chord.

- Huff is proving to us why he shouldn't have been on the 40 man roster to begin with. Time to FINALLY cut the chord on Huff too.

- Ubaldo finally falls back down to Earth and shows us his real self. Still can't pitch from the stretch with runners on. Confidence still fragile as glass.

- Reynolds and Santana REALLY pressing at the plate lately. Reynolds struggles have stemmed from roughly when Chisenhall was sent down and he's taken over third base duties... Santana's swing is getting long and loopy.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 am

What about this for Giambi... If they designated for assignmet would another team pick him up? I think more than 1 team would consider taking a chance on him, but if not.. The reason I ask is why not release him with the intention of retaining him as a coach. He could still take BP and such. Then later when the rosters expand, you resign him? Of course he would always have the option as FA of signing with any team at any time and the indians really need to consider replacing him. Even EZ. Too bad we don't have a marginal hitting, awesome defender 3B somewhere on the bench........... Not saying we should have re-signed Hannahan, but he has always looked good in an indians uniform.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:14 am

As bad as Giambi is, we don't have a better hitter ready to take his spot. They're carrying an extra bullpen arm as it is, and if they send one down when Swish returns, you're looking a bunch of questionable hitters to possibly replace Giambi: Diaz, Zeke, Fedroff, Chisenhall, Marson, Santos, LaPorta... it really only gets worse from there. Maybe you look for someone who provides defense and/or speed, but our top defenders are already up here. The best you could argue would be for Diaz as a defensive replacement/pinch runner. But he'd be redundant with Aviles here. Zeke would be a good pinch runner, but the team is fast as it is, and he's not any better in the outfield defensively (nor that much faster) than any of the starters he could replace. So he'd be... pinch running for the DH sometimes? Maybe Swisher or Raburn if they were playing right?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 am

Edible14 wrote:As bad as Giambi is, we don't have a better hitter ready to take his spot. They're carrying an extra bullpen arm as it is, and if they send one down when Swish returns, you're looking a bunch of questionable hitters to possibly replace Giambi: Diaz, Zeke, Fedroff, Chisenhall, Marson, Santos, LaPorta... it really only gets worse from there. Maybe you look for someone who provides defense and/or speed, but our top defenders are already up here. The best you could argue would be for Diaz as a defensive replacement/pinch runner. But he'd be redundant with Aviles here. Zeke would be a good pinch runner, but the team is fast as it is, and he's not any better in the outfield defensively (nor that much faster) than any of the starters he could replace. So he'd be... pinch running for the DH sometimes? Maybe Swisher or Raburn if they were playing right?

If Giambi brought some value to the field, I'd agree with you but right now all he does is take up a roster spot. Marson would give Francona the option to DH Gomes or Santana when the other is catching. I think Chiz needs to sit in AAA and refine his hitting approach but this team could use a 3B right now too.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:37 pm

daingean wrote:
Edible14 wrote:As bad as Giambi is, we don't have a better hitter ready to take his spot. They're carrying an extra bullpen arm as it is, and if they send one down when Swish returns, you're looking a bunch of questionable hitters to possibly replace Giambi: Diaz, Zeke, Fedroff, Chisenhall, Marson, Santos, LaPorta... it really only gets worse from there. Maybe you look for someone who provides defense and/or speed, but our top defenders are already up here. The best you could argue would be for Diaz as a defensive replacement/pinch runner. But he'd be redundant with Aviles here. Zeke would be a good pinch runner, but the team is fast as it is, and he's not any better in the outfield defensively (nor that much faster) than any of the starters he could replace. So he'd be... pinch running for the DH sometimes? Maybe Swisher or Raburn if they were playing right?

If Giambi brought some value to the field, I'd agree with you but right now all he does is take up a roster spot. Marson would give Francona the option to DH Gomes or Santana when the other is catching. I think Chiz needs to sit in AAA and refine his hitting approach but this team could use a 3B right now too.

Not saying its a regular solution but carrying the 3rd catcher in Marson could also allow Gomes to take the occasional start at 3rd base or corner outfield spot.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Fri May 24, 2013 4:51 am

Edible14 wrote:As bad as Giambi is, we don't have a better hitter ready to take his spot. They're carrying an extra bullpen arm as it is, and if they send one down when Swish returns, you're looking a bunch of questionable hitters to possibly replace Giambi: Diaz, Zeke, Fedroff, Chisenhall, Marson, Santos, LaPorta... it really only gets worse from there.

Chun Chen? I'm not saying now....but give both him and Giambi another 4 weeks and if Chen is still mashing in Columbus and Giambi still whiffing in Cleveland. We don't need a fielder, right? Just an upgrade at hitting
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Fri May 24, 2013 7:05 am

Tondo wrote:
Edible14 wrote:As bad as Giambi is, we don't have a better hitter ready to take his spot. They're carrying an extra bullpen arm as it is, and if they send one down when Swish returns, you're looking a bunch of questionable hitters to possibly replace Giambi: Diaz, Zeke, Fedroff, Chisenhall, Marson, Santos, LaPorta... it really only gets worse from there.

Chun Chen? I'm not saying now....but give both him and Giambi another 4 weeks and if Chen is still mashing in Columbus and Giambi still whiffing in Cleveland. We don't need a fielder, right? Just an upgrade at hitting

I think Hermida could also be an option too and I think he'll add more than Giambi. I also think this is moot as Giambi is there and TF apparently likes him. I just don't see any on the field value with The Big G.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Fri May 24, 2013 1:40 pm

I don't want to get off topic to much, but I don't want to start my own thread. Ike Davis has been pretty terrible in NY. I remember last year at some point in September reading more than one article about the possibility of Ike Davis being moved in the offseason. He ended up remaining with the Mets, but his terrible start this year has the Mets front office and coaches very split on his potential and future with the club. They have considered sending him down to work on leveling out his swing. It sounds like her could become available again in the next month or so.

I have always liked Ike Davis. He is a massive talent and under the right circumstances has 40 HR potential. He is having a terrible year, but if he can be had for a reasonable price, he would fit perfectly in the position Giambi is in now. He would only face righties and could be placed lower in the order to alleviate some pressure and maybe get back on track in a new city. Any thoughts?
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Tribefan65 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:49 pm

We didn't sign Giambi for production. He's here for veteran presence and leadership and that's what he's providing. The versatility of Aviles and Raburn IMO allows for Giambi's spot on the roster. The only problem with him is the amount of playing time he's getting. I don't think there's any need to replace him; we just need to go back to the rotating DH idea that was brought up so much before we signed Bourn. Essentially Aviles or Raburn should be getting the ABs Giambi is getting. Also think that Gomes will force his way into the lineup with the way he's been playing. Perhaps Santana and Gomes rotate between DH and catcher?
Tribefan65
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Tribefan65 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:01 pm

In 10 games since Reynolds took over 3B (not counting 2 in Philly), Giambi has DH'd 6 times. It should be more like two. Gomes has caught in the other 4 with Santana or Swisher DHing. This should be the case more often than it is as long as Gomes hits.
Tribefan65
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Fri May 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Tribefan65 wrote:We didn't sign Giambi for production. He's here for veteran presence and leadership and that's what he's providing. The versatility of Aviles and Raburn IMO allows for Giambi's spot on the roster. The only problem with him is the amount of playing time he's getting. I don't think there's any need to replace him; we just need to go back to the rotating DH idea that was brought up so much before we signed Bourn. Essentially Aviles or Raburn should be getting the ABs Giambi is getting. Also think that Gomes will force his way into the lineup with the way he's been playing. Perhaps Santana and Gomes rotate between DH and catcher?

I agree somewhat with what you're saying, but look at it this way.. leadership/veteran presence can only go so far. Look at Trot Nixon a few years ago. Great guy to have in the clubhouse, but wasn't producing. And Giambi is putting up worse numbers than Nixon was. At least with Nixon you could put him out in the field. Giambi is literally a DH. You're wasting a roster spot on a guy who can only come off the bench as a DH and is over 40 years old. That really hurts when you face NL teams too.

He's hitting .161 AVG/.258 OBP/.321 SLG/.579 OPS which across the board is terrible. He's striking out in 27% of his at-bats.

I'm all in favor of team chemistry and great guys in the locker room, but if a guy isn't producing, you cut the chord, especially with how much playing time he's been getting lately. I can't justify playing him as regularly as Francona is, on top of where in the order he's hitting him. He's been killing rallies at key points in the game.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Sat May 25, 2013 9:28 am

They don't need a "veteran presence". Where are all the young kids in need of leadership? Just go down the roster - it's all veterans except for Yan Gomes, Cody Allen and Barnes.

Because Raburn and Aviles are so versatile they can afford to carry a guy who doesn't play unless somebody has to go on maternity leave or take a few days off for a minor injury. So they went with Giambi for team chemistry. It's probably time to bring up a Hermida or Carrera because when Giambi is in the lineup he hurts the team. When is isn't in the lineup for days at a time he is probably uncomfortable dressing every day and not playing.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Incidentally, while thinking "why don't we have a better hitter than Giambi in AAA right now", I'm reminded that we've lost over the past year Jared Goedert, Russ Canzler, Mike McDade, Nick Weglarz and Thomas Neal. It's amazing that we've cycled through all of these options, and none of them turned out right (though Neal is hitting well in Scranton, and Canzler continues to hit AAA pitching just fine).
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 25, 2013 6:37 pm

The Yanks have claimed David Huff off of waivers.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon May 27, 2013 3:21 pm

GIAMBI! It gladdens my heart!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon May 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Mr. Francona - we love you dearly - but - why did you allow CP to get his lunch when it was obviously being served and why Hagadon in a close situation?

Sometimes winning is the object - not player love.
Last edited by Bearcatbob on Mon May 27, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby timdav » Mon May 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Since the early 1960's, sadly...the Tribe has had about 6 good seasons....mostly the mid-late 90's. This is depressing. Same-same-same.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby BrianM » Mon May 27, 2013 4:06 pm

That was a tough one. Ubaldo was awesome.

I'm gonna go out on the limb and say Chapman's first pitch was genuinely a grip slip, but he got upset when Swisher gave him that little stare afterwards, so he went for his head the 2nd pitch. There is not a player in baseball that wouldn't give you a little stare if you threw a 100mph FB 3 feet over their head. Votto better wear a couple extra layers tomorrow.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Quick notes:

-Fairly good start for Ubaldo. I'll take it.
-That was a FOUL ball. That was dirt that kicked up.
-Santana has been a liability behind the plate lately and at the plate not much better.
-Why the HELL did we pitch to Votto? I would have walked him to go for the DP and brought Shaw in to face Phillips.
-What are we doing looking at called third strikes? PROTECT THE PLATE WITH TWO STRIKES! Especially if you're trying to rally. Don't watch it go past you. Good grief.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby timdav » Mon May 27, 2013 4:29 pm

After 65 years of no championships, anything else but a ring (or legitimate World Series contender) is frustrating for many middle-aged and older Indians fans. And, that isn't realistic since the 1990's-era Tribe ended.

81-81 would be a nice improvement in 2013...and might end up being what happens in 4 months. Gotta keep reminding myself of that reality.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby indians1 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 pm

The problem with the Indians to me is that they don't have the stable stick in the middle of the lineup that helps settle the rest of the lineup down during tough times.

As good as Carlos Santana was in April, this month, he is looking a lot like he did in the first half of last year and the year before.

Cincinnati has Joey Votto. Detroit has Cabrera, Tampa has Longoria,

and it comes back to pitching. The indians do not have an Ace. Justin Masterson is at best a #2 but he isn't a number 1. McCalister is better than last year but is probably a #3 or a playoff team.

We don't have a true #4 hitter in the lineup and we don't have an Ace and we may not have a closer now for a while. Those are the ingredients for a playoff contender. This FO is doing the best they can but at some point they have to start producing from within the farm system. Trevor Bauer looks a ways a long way from being ready and there is no hitting help in the foreseeable future except for maybe Lindor.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby BrianM » Mon May 27, 2013 11:23 pm

indians1 wrote:The problem with the Indians to me is that they don't have the stable stick in the middle of the lineup that helps settle the rest of the lineup down during tough times.

As good as Carlos Santana was in April, this month, he is looking a lot like he did in the first half of last year and the year before.

Cincinnati has Joey Votto. Detroit has Cabrera, Tampa has Longoria,

and it comes back to pitching. The indians do not have an Ace. Justin Masterson is at best a #2 but he isn't a number 1. McCalister is better than last year but is probably a #3 or a playoff team.

We don't have a true #4 hitter in the lineup and we don't have an Ace and we may not have a closer now for a while. Those are the ingredients for a playoff contender. This FO is doing the best they can but at some point they have to start producing from within the farm system. Trevor Bauer looks a ways a long way from being ready and there is no hitting help in the foreseeable future except for maybe Lindor.

I don't think having a true number 4 hitter in the middle of the lineup is a necessity. The Giants have won multiple world series without having that big power bat in the middle. However they had not just one, but multiple aces anchoring their rotation, and I unfortunately have to agree that our pitching staff not only doesn't have that true ace, but only have two guys that would really even make the cut in a playoff rotation on a team like the Giants, Tigers, Braves, Nationals, or Cardinals.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Time for our team to man up and win the damn game!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Time for Francona to man up. Santana is killing us behind the plate.

Loosing tonight to Cincy is disgusting. They challenged our manhood and we failed miserably. Absolutely disgusting.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't know if this team will turn things around and start playing like a playoff team again, but the pitching staff is a huge problem.

For all the people saying that we made out like bandits on the choo trade. who are you kidding? Choo is hitting .300 and has an OPS of over .900.

Trevor bauer has no control and has an ERA of around 4.00i in AAA. This organization did the best they could and spent money to generate interest in this team again. Antonetti spent money on swisher and Bourn but how do we stop teams from scoring on us.

And now the offense is starting to look suspect. Mark Reynolds is coming back to earth. Carlos Santana and Asdrubal play like two brainless idiots who make mental mistakes all the time. How many times is Asdrubal going to strike out. Does he not care?

Carlos santana is starting to look like the .240-.250 hitter he has been the last few years and not the great steal we got from the dodgers.

I really hope this team is going to turn it around but Terry francona can only do so much when he has no pitching.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue May 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Our manhood was challenged tonight and we failed the test. Absolutely disgusting.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Santana behind the plate is killing us!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby TheWord » Wed May 29, 2013 5:09 pm

Their manhood was challenged.

Manhood I tell ya!
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu May 30, 2013 6:30 am

TheWord wrote:Their manhood was challenged.

Manhood I tell ya!

Reynold's HR was huge. It stopped the bleeding.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Can anyone suggest a good chat site for active game discussion?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 31, 2013 8:02 am

Bearcatbob wrote:Can anyone suggest a good chat site for active game discussion?

Bob.. the only site that I've seen that consistently has a decent interactive chat set up for live game discussions are found on AOL, Sports-Baseball.. or a private baseball room for baseball enthusiasts. There are times when that Sports-Baseball room has cyber-idiots and bullies hell bent on dominating the conversation with drivel and mouth diarrhea, but, for the most part, it's informed, lively and insightful discussion. It should be noted that there are usually 7 Yankee fans for every (any other team's) fans. So, by definition, they're arrogant, condescending & obnoxious... (and yes, Hermie.. I do resemble that remark...)...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 31, 2013 8:07 am

The two out RBI base hit...

The Indians get them.. in bunches.. almost 40 % of the teams total runs for the year have been scored with two out RBI hits. As the calendar turns to June, the Indians are on pace to score over 800 runs.. Still not quite 850, but a whole lot closer than the finishing total of 667 they scored last year..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri May 31, 2013 9:02 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:Can anyone suggest a good chat site for active game discussion?

Bob.. the only site that I've seen that consistently has a decent interactive chat set up for live game discussions are found on AOL, Sports-Baseball.. or a private baseball room for baseball enthusiasts. There are times when that Sports-Baseball room has cyber-idiots and bullies hell bent on dominating the conversation with drivel and mouth diarrhea, but, for the most part, it's informed, lively and insightful discussion. It should be noted that there are usually 7 Yankee fans for every (any other team's) fans. So, by definition, they're arrogant, condescending & obnoxious... (and yes, Hermie.. I do resemble that remark...)...

Thanks I will try the AOL room.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 31, 2013 10:31 am

Nice Vidgias of Corey Kluber and his curve ball at Fangraphs.. they seem to think he's under appreciated..

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily-no ... ost-haste/
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:31 am

Anybody else dumb enough to stay up to watch the end of the game last night?...

Too bad the 18 minutes of action was stopped.. That game had the ear mark of a tremendous pitcher's duel.. Both Matty Moore and Corey Kluber were DEALIN !!!.. Kluber is really starting to impress the hell out of me..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Who would have thought we would be so missing Tony Sipp?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Anybody else dumb enough to stay up to watch the end of the game last night?...

Too bad the 18 minutes of action was stopped.. That game had the ear mark of a tremendous pitcher's duel.. Both Matty Moore and Corey Kluber were DEALIN !!!.. Kluber is really starting to impress the hell out of me..

Hand in the air. Still shakin my head on the botched call where Bourn was 'tagged out'. That ended any chance of a Tribe comeback.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:47 am

In his last three starts Kluber has struck out 21 batters while walking only 2 in 15 innings. Of course, his last start was cut short because of the rain, but still, he is really locked in right now. For the last couple of years I've been hearing he has the best stuff in the farm system, and now it looks like he might be putting it all together.

Striking out 18 Tigers and Red Sox in two consecutive starts has to give his confidence a boost.

OK, it's still early, but it's looking like he may have figured it out. This rotation of Masterson, Ubaldo (another guy who finally figured it out), McAllister, Kazmir and Kluber might just keep us in contention the entire season.

They need to get the bullpen back on track, though. We have nothing from the left side. Hopefully Allen, Smith, Shaw, and Pestano can keep us on track until Rage gets back.

Hagadone sucks. I'm afraid he always will. So does Barnes.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 am

Prosecutor wrote:In his last three starts Kluber has struck out 21 batters while walking only 2 in 15 innings. Of course, his last start was cut short because of the rain, but still, he is really locked in right now. For the last couple of years I've been hearing he has the best stuff in the farm system, and now it looks like he might be putting it all together.

Striking out 18 Tigers and Red Sox in two consecutive starts has to give his confidence a boost.

OK, it's still early, but it's looking like he may have figured it out. This rotation of Masterson, Ubaldo (another guy who finally figured it out), McAllister, Kazmir and Kluber might just keep us in contention the entire season.

They need to get the bullpen back on track, though. We have nothing from the left side. Hopefully Allen, Smith, Shaw, and Pestano can keep us on track until Rage gets back.

Hagadone sucks. I'm afraid he always will. So does Barnes.

You may be absolutely correct about the two young lefties in the Indians pen.. Both Barnes and Hagadone have done little to prove they are going to be anything more than fill ins / stop gaps / arsonists at the ML level. That's where they're at right now..

There is something about the downward plane and 95 mph cheese with Hagadone that continues to intrigue. Hagadone, in his last few outings, has begun to throw his slider for quality strikes. While he's no Steve Carlton, he has the frame and depth of an RP that could develop in that direction. His situation could be compared to Johan Santana from a "use it or lose it" perspective.. That is.. Johan Santana was a fastball pitcher and threw it straight and hard. It wasn't until he was FORCED by the Twins developmental guys to throw change up after change up after change up.. until he had as much confidence in that pitch as he did with his fastball. If Hagadone were to throw 65 % sliders... then keep batters uneasy with his high hard cheese.. he could become incredibly effective, especially in Lefty Lefty match ups.. It might be worth a shot.. he's not going to fool anyone with a straight 95 mph FB left a little up in the zone..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Agreed, looks like Kluber is putting it altogether. I have always thought he was a BOR or set up man but he looks really sharpe right now. Hags - kills me with that straight line FB. I like Barnes but he's not fooling anyone - is it the yo - yo the last 2 seasons? Regardless, he has to perform and he simply hasn't.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Mlbtraderumors.com is reporting the Tribe has agreed to a minor league deal with LHRP JC Romero, 37.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:42 pm

With Cabby limbing - very badly - off the field - Chis will be back tomorrow. He is tearing it up. Aviles will again be a starting SS.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Masterson is absolutely BRAIN DEAD tonight!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby BrianM » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 pm

If we recall Chiz, we wont have a backup shortstop. Aviles cant play every single game. Im wondering if there is a slim chance we will add ramirez to the 40 man and give him a call. You would think his upside would be far better than Diaz's and he is more versatile.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Masterson is absolutely BRAIN DEAD tonight!

very very very very brain dead!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:04 am

There have been a number of mental blunders lately. Me thinks the Team needs a talking to.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 am

It's frustrating to see Masterson get beat by the 8th and 9th hitters, especially when they are bench warmers hitting below the Mendoza line.

He sails through the first two innings without allowing a hit, then gives up singles to two chumps to start the 3rd. Then he walks the leadoff hitter on four pitches to set up Tex's grand slam, which was the difference in the game.

He would have been fine giving up the dinger to Tex if nobody was on base.

Then he gave up another hit to the freaking catcher in the 9 hole with two out, setting up the game winning hit by Gardner. Just pathetic pitching. He just didn't have his best stuff last night and got tagged for seven runs, the most he's given up all year.

I agree; Hags needs to go down to Columbus and throw 75% sliders until he can throw it for strikes consistently. His heater is effective when mixed in with a breaking ball. If he could throw sliders down and away to lefties like Raffie Perez and mix in 95 mph fastballs at the top of the zone he could do all right.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Masterson is not an ace. He proved it last night with a horrible outing.

Aces do 2 things. They put an end to losing streaks and they keep winning streaks going. Justin Masterson has his moments but then lapses too often.

If we are going to compete we need Masterson to win games like yesterday. They got 4 runs of the yankees and that wasn't good enough.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:46 am

Then Kazmir makes another mistake to Texiera and there goes another game. Why couldn't Tex have stayed on the DL for three more days?

The Yankees have outscored us something like 48-15 this year and that's without some of their main guys like Jeter and ARod and Granderson. But there's nothing wrong with Cano and Texiera, unfortunately.

This is a bad time for Cabby to go down, with the Indians reeling and a tough road trip to deal with.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors