RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby indians1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 am

Brett Myers was a reliever last year and we gave him 7 million to be a starter.

I sound like a broken record, but this team will not be able to compete on a regular basis until they start producing their own starting pitching like san francisco does. like tampa does, like every team that is good does. It starts with pitching and brad grant is leaps ahead of mirabelli, but is that good enough?.

4 drafts in and we still have no impact starting pitching prospects that could be a #1 or #2. The FO had to do something and to their credit, generated a lot of buzz around this team with the signings.

That being said, they didn't use the money to sign an impact starter and really should have done what they could to get another impact starter by trading asdrubal. Asdrubal has value at this point. If he has a bad season, then that value diminishes.

If this team is to compete for the division, they need trevor bauer to be spectacular. Even then, that may not be good enough because starters 3-5 suck too.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:14 am

The thing is signing Myers was a stop gap measure. We fans knew that, and obviously the Tribe brass did. Personally, I wished they had rolled the dice on a few of these other guys, but Myers is a proven vet albeit he hasn't pitched as a SP in a yr. That said, it's no excuse he simply has not produced, and has been unable to get big league hitters out. At this point he looks like a long reliever at best, and even then there are concerns he's just too much of a soft tosser with nothing special to get out MLB hitters.

I completely agree with anyone who says the Tribe must produce their own talent or find a way to harvest it from other clubs. I don't care how they get it, but they must find talent. That being said it ratchets up the intensity and necessity to hit in draft and the IFA market. These are the two areas I think the Tribe has to remain aggressive, It's much more reasonable and a better spend of the Tribes limited resources.

The Tribe simply couldn't trade ACab to trade him. I have been a big a proponent of trading ACab as anyone, but they simply can't flip him to get a deal done. They have to get MLB ready talent back and most clubs don't or won't part with the SP demands the Tribe was / or could be making.

At some point the Tribe will have to do something and it becomes increasingly clear as ACab nears FA that they will either look to resign him (doubtful: see minor leagues [Lindor, Paulino] SS depth) or trade him at the deadline (or offseason). I think it's safe to say the Tribe wasn't getting what they wanted this past offseason, but would not lose leverage assuming he stays healthy and produces. Truth be told there is a good chance the Tribe gets a better return at the deadline, when clubs are more aggressive.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 am

Eight games in.. not a time to panic.. that comes after the ninth game (RME...)

So.. what if the Astros were right in their assessment of Bret.. oh.. I've already covered this..

Asdrubal Cabrera will be just fine. He'll be worth what the Indians want for him.. or the Indians will continue to have one of the better SS's in the AL wearing Chief Wahoo on his sleeve..

Andy Pettitte and the Yankees just kill the Indians in the regular season.. it seems as if that will never change.. I'd say okay to it as long as the post season results stay the same.. the only issue being. .getting to the post season...

You can't argue with the weather the last two days.. oh my.. early April and 80 degrees in Cleveland.. I was pinching myself, and on purpose...

Carlos Carrasco truly showed what 'being rusty" means.. Attaboy CC, go get em the next time..

Today should be a better day... perhaps a start towards evening up the series with the Yankees...

we shall see...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Tribe has now lost 4 of their last 5 home games....lost 11-0, 9-0, 11-6, and 14-1...

Ugly....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Tribe has now lost 4 of their last 5 home games....lost 11-0, 9-0, 11-6, and 14-1...

Ugly....

The Tribe hasn't lost any games as of 3:26 pm on April 10th, 2013...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:13 pm

The thing that worries me about the indians in the draft is that they have been aggressive. They have paid over slot for players like trey haley, tj house, bryce stowell, fedroff, washington, lavisky, wolters, and the list goes on and they haven't hit on any of them.

It is important to be aggressive, but you have to be right on some of those guys. And the indians have a very poor percentage on hits.

The dolans have put out a lot of money on free agents and the draft (more than dick jacobs), the problem is that the decision makers are not using that money wisely. This will be a very telling season on the indians because if swisher and bourne don't pan out, it will be another failure of this FO in evaluating talent.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:37 pm

indians1 wrote:The thing that worries me about the indians in the draft is that they have been aggressive. They have paid over slot for players like trey haley, tj house, bryce stowell, fedroff, washington, lavisky, wolters, and the list goes on and they haven't hit on any of them.

It is important to be aggressive, but you have to be right on some of those guys. And the indians have a very poor percentage on hits.

The dolans have put out a lot of money on free agents and the draft (more than dick jacobs), the problem is that the decision makers are not using that money wisely. This will be a very telling season on the indians because if swisher and bourne don't pan out, it will be another failure of this FO in evaluating talent.

Look at 2nd rounds from Haley (2008) and onward. Not many of those guys have made an impact in the majors yet. Really your first round pick needs to be an impact player and then hope one or two of your later rounders get to the majors and become a solid contributor.

I'm more concerned about all the quality arms being moved to the BP too quickly (Haley, Barnes) but it's better than the "safe" picks like Sowers and Huff. Both guys did make it to the show but neither produced like you want a first rounder to produce.

Like the season, it's way to early to panic but you do have to be concerned. It takes a while for the drafted guys to develop but with any minor leaguer, there is no guarantees. Way too many "can't miss" guys have missed.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indians1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

The thing that hurts is that Ubaldo has been so bad and he wasn't that ACE that we thought we were trading for.
I think the damning thing is that that neither alex white or drew pomeranz is doing anything as well.

Those were two first round picks that have flamed out. So indians fans can look at and say we ended up giving nothing.

The flip side is that we used 2 high draft picks and they so far have been busts which was the common theme with john mirabelli drafts. and that was my point.

It isn't good enough to be better than mirabelli in drafting. You need these guys to start turning into impact starters. that is the only way a small market team consistently competes.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 am

indians1 wrote:The thing that hurts is that Ubaldo has been so bad and he wasn't that ACE that we thought we were trading for.
I think the damning thing is that that neither alex white or drew pomeranz is doing anything as well.

Those were two first round picks that have flamed out. So indians fans can look at and say we ended up giving nothing.

The flip side is that we used 2 high draft picks and they so far have been busts which was the common theme with john mirabelli drafts. and that was my point.

It isn't good enough to be better than mirabelli in drafting. You need these guys to start turning into impact starters. that is the only way a small market team consistently competes.

I think the point Tony has been making is that Pomz and White had a lot of value at the time of the trade and we could have traded them for someone other than Ubaldo and gotten a much better return than we did.

My only question is whether there were any proven starters other than Ubaldo available when that deal went down. I think the Rockies knew Ubaldo was damaged goods. He was not pitching well at the time the deal was made. They made the decision to get what they could for him before it became obvious he was no longer a top of the rotation starter, or even close.

If the Indians had done their due diligence and scouted Ubaldo they would have realized his velocity was down and he was not the same pitcher as the year before. They probably were aware of this, but thought there was nothing wrong with this arm and he just needed some tweaking of his mechanics and he would be back to his old, dominating self. Wrong.

Whether there was some other quality starter that could have been acquired for White and Pomz is unknown, but given how highly Pomz was rated at the time you'd think they could have gotten somebody pretty good.

By the way, Jake Westbrook threw a 4-hit shutout for the Cardinals yesterday. Nice to see he's still in the league and doing well.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:49 am

Prosecutor wrote:
indians1 wrote:The thing that hurts is that Ubaldo has been so bad and he wasn't that ACE that we thought we were trading for.

I think the point Tony has been making is that Pomz and White had a lot of value at the time of the trade and we could have traded them for someone other than Ubaldo and gotten a much better return than we did.

My only question is whether there were any proven starters other than Ubaldo available when that deal went down. I think the Rockies knew Ubaldo was damaged goods. He was not pitching well at the time the deal was made. They made the decision to get what they could for him before it became obvious he was no longer a top of the rotation starter, or even close.

If the Indians had done their due diligence and scouted Ubaldo they would have realized his velocity was down and he was not the same pitcher as the year before. They probably were aware of this, but thought there was nothing wrong with this arm and he just needed some tweaking of his mechanics and he would be back to his old, dominating self. Wrong.

Whether there was some other quality starter that could have been acquired for White and Pomz is unknown, but given how highly Pomz was rated at the time you'd think they could have gotten somebody pretty good.

By the way, Jake Westbrook threw a 4-hit shutout for the Cardinals yesterday. Nice to see he's still in the league and doing well.

Eric Bedard and Edwin Jackson... Doug Fister wasn't exactly proven as he had a small sample size at the ML Level
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 am

Bedard was traded to Boston and went 1-2 with a 4.03 ERA in 2011, better than what Ubaldo did in Cleveland. Last year Bedard was 7-14, 5.01 for the Pirates. IOW, he was as bad as Ubaldo last year.

Edwin Jackson went 10-11 with a 4.03 ERA for Washington last year, so he definitely would have been a better trade target, even considering the fact that his ERA would have been somewhat higher in the A.L. due to the DH. However, his contract expired after the 2012 season whereas Ubaldo was locked in through 2013. It still would have been better, in retrospect, to trade Pomeranz and White for Jackson, but I can understand the Tribe's preference for Ubaldo. That was based on the assumption that they could fix his mechanics and make him a legit FOR starter again, which turned out not to be the case.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 am

Fwiw, Jackson's ERA was under 4 all season until the last 2 games of the season, in which he got lit up, if I recall correctly.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:57 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Fwiw, Jackson's ERA was under 4 all season until the last 2 games of the season, in which he got lit up, if I recall correctly.

Homer.. the question was.. were there any established ML starters traded during that time period.. There were a few.. not many. You're correct about Edwin Jackson. He did pitch well through the end of the season save for a couple of outings. BTW.. it seems to be the case just about every year. Seldom do teams move SP's and, particularly, impact SP's, at the deadline.. it happens quite infrequently..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 pm

A dramatic 9th inning win....these wins can give a team life....we'll see over the next few days.....exciting stuff :biggrin
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Pitching, pitching, pitching and more pitching!

Bourne is the real deal.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:17 am

Quintana and Konerko kill us every time, and they almost got us again last night. Fortunately the Sox went to their bullpen after seven innings and Konerko's shot didn't quite get over the wall.

The addition of a slider (or anything in the mid-80's) to Masterson's repertoire has been huge. I used to get so tired of watching him and Fausto throw 95% sinking fastballs game after game while the hitters fouled them off until they got one in the middle of the zone. Justin has a chance to have a career season the way he's pitching.

Too bad it will be wasted, unless the rest of the rotation does a 180.

Brantley looked very good against a tough lefty who was on top of his game. Brantley doubled to left center and hit another one to the warning track that almost got over Rios' head. He also threw out Rios at second when he played the ball perfectly off the wall and made a strong throw right on the money. I never saw Brantley make a throw like that before. I thought he had a noodle for an arm but that throw had some juice on it.

The Tribe has been going up against some really tough pitching so far this year. The first eight games they faced either a Cy Young winner or a top starter every game. Then they get Pettite and Kuroda with the Yankees and now Quintana and Sale. So far they haven't caught a break.

Just watched the video of Greinke's injury. Wow. First Matt Kemp gets knocked down with a pitch right at his head, then Geinke retaliates by coming up and in against Carlos Quentin, who has been hit more frequently than any batter in baseball history. Quentin makes no effort to get out of the way, gets hit in the shoulder, charges the mound, and breaks Greinke's collarbone. Greinke needs surgery and will be out eight weeks. What a way to lose your ace for two months. Quenton got an eight game suspension.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:23 am

By the way, Greinki just signed a $147 million contract.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 pm

McAlister was dominating in the 9-4 win over the Sox. He still hasn't walked a batter in two starts this year. Only one earned run allowed by Masterson and McAlister in 15 innings, and that came on a home run given up by Albers.

One very positive sign was that McAlister didn't come unglued after Reynolds' throwing error gave the White Sox two unearned runs in the first inning. Last year he would have unraveled.

Mark Reynolds with 13 ribs in the first 10 games. Wow. And he's known for slow starts. He may be on his way to a career season.

Nice to see the Tribe beat up Chris Sale. I've never seen them get to him before, at least not that I can remember. Now if they could just figure out Quintana and Pettite.

Yan Gomes is catching until Santana is ready. He looks very good. He gunned down a runner trying to steal on Friday and jacked a two-run homer to straightaway center field today. I know his BA isn't good, but he looks like a confident hitter.

Let's get the broom out tomorrow.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:27 pm

The end result of pitching to Konerko was SO predictable. That one is on Francona.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 pm

This may be unfair to put these expectations on a young player but i think this season does come down to if trevor bauer makes it to the big leagues and becomes that #2 guy.

We have nobody else in our system that can help the starting rotation. If Bauer becomes that #2 guy that allows us some wiggle room and allows mccalister to become a #3 or #4 guy. Then Ubaldo becomes a little easier to tolerate.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 am

I don't think it falls as much on Trevor Bauer's development as it does for the Tribe to develop or acquire a few more options for the SP rotation. It really doesn't matter how they get SP, but they have to be able to add some SP that's MLB ready or near. It could come through the draft, development of a few young arms or by trade. I expect the later... It just seems reasonable at some point to expect the Tribe to deal Chris Perez or ACab or even Justin Masterson at some point...IF...the Tribe is out of contention and they get a sense that they will be unable to extend them or have a great offer they feel they need to move on.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby indians1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 am

The Indians should trade asdrubal/perez if they can get a young starter with big time potential.

You can't trade masterson. He is the only pitcher in the last few years to show any promise.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 am

I agree, they should keep Masterson but may eventually have to move him. That could be this offseason or next yr at The deadline if they can't extend him, he IMO should be a priority signing. The Tribe has depth in the pen and in the middle of the diamond to move Perez and ACab at some point, they should remain top trade chips or could be extension candidates, doubt they decide to hold on to these two but you never know. Personally, Id hold them until the deadline then shop them both for SP. Thats just me, I'm a PITCHING first type when it comes to building a team.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Well.. The Indians have come to the end of the 13 day gauntlet, only 11 games were played. At the outset of the season, my thought was.. if they can just play .500 for this first 13 days... 6-7 or 7-6 out of the gate.. then they'd have a chance to settle into roles and start to gel.. Well, Zachy Zack and Mr Clean both pitched a helluva game over the weekend & Brett Myers was no slouch, either.. The catching situation should be resolving itself... Mark Reynolds, Michael Bourn & Nick Swisher are everything you thought they'd be.. and more.. Drew Stubbs.. is clueless.. he either gets it together, or bring up Cord Phelps to play the OF.. something..

Overall.. not a bad start.. and as the weather warms.. so should the tribe..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am

Considering that Kazmir has been out and Stubbs, Chiz, Droobs, and Kipnis aren't hitting a lick, they've done pretty well. Masterson has carried them getting three of their five wins. Reynolds has been on fire which helps make up for the ice cold bats of everybody else in the infield. They were lucky to get a rainout on Thursday because Kluber would have started that game and he got lit up at Columbus.

Reynolds can't keep driving in 13 runs per 11 games so we really need Chiz, Droobs, and Kipnis to start hitting before Reynolds goes into a slump, which he will. We also need to find a leadoff hitter to take Bourn's spot for at least the next three games.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Ah - right handed power - especially of the 3 run bomb type is so sweet!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm looking at it this way: the Tribe spent $14 million on Myers & Reynolds. So far, they got their money's worth.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:36 am

Four more right-handed home runs on Sunday - Reynolds, Santana, Gomes, and Stubbs. Yeah, it was against a AAA team but still, last year we wouldn't see four right-handed home runs in a month.

The Reynolds signing is making Antonetti look like a genius, along with getting Gomes and Aviles for Esmil Rogers. The Swisher and Bourn acqusitions are looking really good, too. Still not sure about Stubbs and Myers, but Stubbs is starting to hit the last few days and he saved the game with that catch in the first inning.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 am

By the way, Choo is hitting .382 for Cincinnati with a .523 OBP and the Reds are in first place. So far they have to be happy with that deal. I'd still rather have Bauer, Stubbs, Albers, and Shaw, though.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 am

Good fighting win for the Wahoos... Just like it's the job of the starting pitcher to stay in the game & hold the opposition to the point where the club has a chance to win, Ubaldo didn't kill the chances with his outing.. truth be told.. both Brantley and Raburn didn't exactly give gold glove efforts on those fly balls that eventually knocked Ubaldo out of the game.. If Stubbs is in RF (Bourn in CF), that midget's triple is an out and Marwin is still standing on first base.. IDK what Michael Smooth was doing backing up on a ball... he clearly misjudged it..

The offense continues to create opportunities.. I loved the bunt singles by Kipnis and Michael Smooth.. well executed..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:46 am

@Prosecutor
By the way, Choo is hitting .382 for Cincinnati with a .523 OBP and the Reds are in first place. So far they have to be happy with that deal. I'd still rather have Bauer, Stubbs, Albers, and Shaw, though.

I'm very happy with the Choo deal. I'm glad he's performing well for the Reds too. The return on the Choo trade is for the long term really. A lot rests on Bauer of course but Shaw could be a stable reliever for quite a while. I'm very happy with Stubbs in the OF, either center or right, he covers a ton of ground. Lets face it, his best spot in the lineup is 8th or 9th, but before the year is out, if he's healthy, we'll get 15ish homers and a lot of steals from him.

Albers is a bit of a wild card for lack of a better term. I think he will have some value come July for a team seeking some pen depth. We'll see what happens soon enough.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

With the recent excitement over Yan Gomes, I'm wondering if anyone here sees him as an everyday catcher. I can see him perhaps taking over for Santana and moving Santana to either 1B or the outfield with Swisher moving accordingly. Depends on what we get out of Stubbs too.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 pm

It's a handful of games, temper excitement same as the excitement over Reynolds. No, I do not see Gomes as a regular or everyday catcher here in Cleveland. Part time, absolutley but I do not think the Indians will move Santana out from behind the plate permanently, ever. They didn't with Victor Martinez and they won't with Carlos Santana.

Gomes could fill a role similar to Kelly Shoppach. Power, K's, strong arm. I can't remember if it was Jordan Bastian (pretty sur it was) that said Indians pitchers gave a lot of praise for how Gomes handles the game when he plays.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 am

Five hits by Cabrera in the April 28 doubleheader. Maybe this gets him going - finally. They need his bat in that #3 hole.

Gomes provides more offense than Marson so the injury to Marson may actually help the Tribe. They need all the offense they can get.

Excellent start by Kluber. Hopefully he can fill the hole created by the Myers injury. This is his opportunity and he needs to nail it. He's been hanging around on the fringe of the majors for a couple of years and at his age it's time to fish or cut bait.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Pros.. the Houston outing was followed up with his superb effort against the division leading Royals (doesn't that sound odd!!)
The time for Kluber to show his stuff is clearly now.. two outings in a row with a nasty sinker and hook.. shows he has the goods
to be a solid contributor at the ML level. It would be an absolute godsend to see him succeed..

-I'm really LOVING the way Santana is hitting in the six hole & if it aint broke.. don't fix it.. makes the bottom of the lineup that much more deadly. When Bourn gets back, this lineup should go about 6 or 7 deep...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Are we absolutely sure that its Ubaldo pitching for Cleveland while Wade Davis pitches for KC???
It's seems like they switched bodies (or at least performance) tonight thru the fifth inning.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Well I was going to put this somewhere else - but didn't see a good enough thread and didn't want to start a new one but............

Vidal Nuno makes his major league debut pitching 3 scorless frames with 2K's in what could be considered a wasted effort or.... But congrats on a successful start(?). End transmission.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:54 am

So what was that last night? :eek
A 2010 vintage Ubaldo?

As I was watching, I tried to tell myself that this was a fluke and doesn't mean anything. But, the thing is, his stuff was dominant. And he was throwing strikes. There was nothing fluky about his pitches.

Keep your fingers crossed that the switch has finally turned on.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 am

Well.. wasn't that a fun night?!!

There were so many "best parts of the night.." :
-Jason Giambi sliding head first to beat out an infield single.. Seismographs everywhere were extolling it's virtue!..
-Drew Stubbs with a 3 for 4 night, AND he stayed on the ball..
-Warm sweltering nights in downtown are going to have fireworks more often than just on Friday nights.
-The offense adding onto a lead by adding onto the lead..by adding onto the lead.. wow..

Big win on the series opener.. Now, let's see if the reduced walk totals from Trevor in his stay in the minors translates to the major league level.. if it does, he might not be heading back to C-bus any time soon...

Good W.. more to come..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 am

Whatever you do, Terry, don't take Raburn out of the lineup. He's hitting everything he sees right now. And Carlos is wielding a mean Ax. Brantley is starting to sting the ball for extra bases (finally), and ACAb and Kipnis are waking up their bats.

They definitely closed out April on a roll. Let's hope May turns out to be a good month.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Here's an interesting lineup..

LH Brantley LF
LH Kipnis 2B
SW Cabrera DH
RH Reynolds 3B,
SW Santana 1B
RH Rayburn RF
RH Aviles SS
RH Gomes C
RH Stubbs CF

Nick Swisher is getting the night off again..with the off day tomorrow, that will allow him to have multiple days of rest. Good for him.. Here's hoping Bauer isn't too amped up that he cannot keep the pitches down.. If he does..it could be a beautiful thing!...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:34 pm

The only surprise in that lineup to me is Aviles at SS & ACab at DH. After the other few days of Acab coming out early and the early issues with Kipnis 7 his elbow, I would have suspected Aviles at 2B while Jason is the DH.

Either way, same guys are in the lineup.
Let's see the series end on a winning note and have the Tribe get ready to blast the Twins with both barrels starting Friday.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 02, 2013 7:23 am

And the series sweep is complete.. good for our Wahoo's..and a great night at the ball park...
Beautiful night to go see a game..

-Bauer was amp'd.. He couldn't keep his fastball down in the zone, but his curve ball was filthy..
-Raburn's foul tips are going for hits now.. amazing..
-Asdrubal's liner over the third base bag was a "clinic" on how to swing a bat..short, compact & powerful..
-I didn't see how Santana got in under the tag on the first run.. must have been close..
-Kipnis couldn't have jumped higher.. or timed the jump better on that snagged line drive..
-Weird non-double play on the grounder to Kipnis..someone had to have been out.. either for
going out of the baseline or getting the guy at first..

-interesting note from Rich Passan at Yahoo Sports discussing the minor leagues and hot prospects in a
monthly column entitled "Prospect Heat". The information contained with the article is allegedly pulled
from 20 ML GM's.In this particular edition, he mentions the Cardinals and their plethora of rookie hot
shots & one very interesting comment from an NL GM who said: "...That role could be Gast's as well,
speculates one NL executive, who said: "They will have room when they trade Wacha to Cleveland for
Asdrubal Cabrera..." referring to the Cards imminent call up of relief pitchers to aid the bullpen.

Play 9 instead of watching the Indians will be the plan.. and another beautiful night for it coming up..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 am

I'd love to get Wacha for Asdrubal, but who's going to play SS the next two years until Lindor is ready?

Juan Diaz is hitting .198 in Columbus. Ronny Rod is at .246 in Akron. It would have to be Mike Aviles unless we could work another deal to bring in a veteran SS as a stopgap.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu May 02, 2013 11:12 am

Regarding Cabrera for Wacha, the Indians just passed on Michael Wacha in the draft 11 months ago. He was on the board and was a legitimate pick at 15th overall, but the Indians passed him up for Tyler Naquin. Either the Indians really love Naquin, or they don't like Wacha for whatever reason b/c they had their shot at him and passed for a guy that was a consensus overdraft.

Regarding Trevor Bauer last night, I've seen a good amount of Bauer going back to his sophomore year at UCLA. I've always loved him (I thought he was a better prospect than teammate Gerritt Cole), but it's clear the Indians can't count on him in the rotation *right now*. His command of his fastball terrible last night, and it was bad vs. the Rays too. He got by on pure stuff and bad hitting by the Phillies last night. I still have very high expectations for him, but that wasn't MLB caliber command last night at all.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Thu May 02, 2013 11:19 am

GSon, Santana was safe because the catcher dropped the ball... :geek
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 02, 2013 2:37 pm

We were in our normal seats along the third base line just up from the dugout.. couldn't see the ball
being dropped.. It looked like the ball beat him there, though.. but the call was safe.. :biggrin
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Mlbtraderumors.com is reporting the Indians have DFA'd Mike McDade and claimed EZ Carrera off of waivers from the Phillies.

On to another thought, I don't think the Tribes passing on Wacha in the draft is an indicator of their 'feelings' for him. Personally, I
Would have liked to see them take a shot at him last yr over Naquin. But as part of a deal I'd still like Naquin sometime after early
June when he could be traded. Maybe the Tribe could pull off a stunner of a deal and pkg ACab and Perez for a much larger return
From the Cards.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:36 pm

I think the McDade DFA is a bit surprising since Santos is still on the 40. Maybe the injury to Marson is worse than thought?

Very good stuff from the Tribe as of recent. Would still like to see more out of ACab and Brantley, but they'll get there. Nice to see Kipnis turning it on.

Bauer continues to confuse me. The command is a problem at this point, but how much of that is fixable? I assume just getting some more experience will settle him somewhat, but I start to dread the comparisons to Tim Lincecum (his role model of sorts) when I see how quickly command can fall apart.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Meant to say Id take Wacha in deal sometime after early June when he is tradeable. In the previous post.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors