RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

TRIBE SALE RUMOR

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

TRIBE SALE RUMOR

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15 am

FWIW, I just heard a rumor on the radio that Fox Broadcasting (Newscorp) is interested in buying the Indians and STO.

That's one rumor I hope is true.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: TRIBE SALE RUMOR

Postby daingean » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:FWIW, I just heard a rumor on the radio that Fox Broadcasting (Newscorp) is interested in buying the Indians and STO.

Went searching for a link http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/19/roger-ailes-fox-news/

I thought it was just that a rumor and that Newscorp might be looking around for any MLB team but it says that Ailes and his beloved Indians. So there may be more to this rumor.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:31 pm

daingean wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:FWIW, I just heard a rumor on the radio that Fox Broadcasting (Newscorp) is interested in buying the Indians and STO.

Went searching for a link http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/19/roger-ailes-fox-news/

I thought it was just that a rumor and that Newscorp might be looking around for any MLB team but it says that Ailes and his beloved Indians. So there may be more to this rumor.

I don't think I'd be too keen on Newcorp buying the Indians. Now if Ailes did retire down the line and went on to buy the Indians I'd be more onboard with that. A coportation the size of Newscorp buying the Tribe just worries me of a potential move. That's a big player and I could potentially see them trying to strong arm their way into a better market, like say getting a 3rd team into the NY market. Say what you want about Dolan, but I personally don't have any worries about him moving the Indians. I'd rather have a Tribe team that struggles and only competes a 2-3 times a decade than have no Tribe team to root for...but that's just my take.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Hermie's is spot on about Mr Dolan having any immediate plan to sell the team to someone who would move them. Call Mr Dolan a lot of things, but first & foremost, he is a life long fan of Cleveland and the Indians. Something the Browns ownership can no longer boast. This rumor about Roger Ailes seems a bit far fetched, tbh.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Hermie's is spot on about Mr Dolan having any immediate plan to sell the team to someone who would move them. Call Mr Dolan a lot of things, but first & foremost, he is a life long fan of Cleveland and the Indians. Something the Browns ownership can no longer boast. This rumor about Roger Ailes seems a bit far fetched, tbh.

Every article I've found is tht it is Ailes that "someday" wants to own the Indians. Ailes is from Warren. Nothing I've read indicates LD wants to sell. Right now this is in the rumor category.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby timdav » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Don't think Fox would want the Indians.

Why? Their lineup leans too heavily left. (I'll be here all week...be sure to tip your waitresses).
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:53 pm

:biggrin Maybe they feel like they can RIGHT the Indians.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Should be pointed out too that Newscorp has just purchased a 49% stake in the Yankees YES Network, with the option to eventually own up to 80%. I really can't see them buying the Indians...sounds like they could be a candidate to buy the Yankees from the Steinbrenners eventually though....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 pm

timdav wrote:Don't think Fox would want the Indians.

Why? Their lineup leans too heavily left. (I'll be here all week...be sure to tip your waitresses).

Yeah, but the pitching staff is a bunch of Right Wingers so the team is "Fair & Balanced".
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 pm

With some family and they say Trivisonno was talking on WTAM tonight that STO was being sold. He is usually pretty in the know on these things with the Indians because of his ties to ownership. I didn't hear it myself....anyone else hear it? I will have to go back and listen to the podcast of the show.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Not selling the team, but FOX is apparently close to buying STO from the Indians

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... er_default
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ironmike » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

One asset sold, one more to go.

Watch what happens.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 pm

ironmike wrote:One asset sold, one more to go.

Watch what happens.

Early reports are the Tribe could get $40M up from $30M a year. Obviously an extra $10M a year never hurts but don't see it making a huge difference in terms of how spending goes.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors