RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

MLB Hot Stove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: MLB Hot Stove

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's a qk look at Andre Either's remaining contract yrs...

Yr. Age. Current Team. Salary.

2013 31 Los Angeles Dodgers $13,500,000
2014 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $15,500,000
2015 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000
2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000
2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000
2018 36 Los Angeles Dodgers *$17,500,000 $17.5M Vesting Option, $2.5M Buyout

Per: baseballreference.com

Seems rich for the Tribe but could we see a team like the TX Rangers jump in?

The team to watch for w/r to Ethier isn't the Rangers..it could be the Yankees or Braves. They seem like a good matches. The Braves would love to move Uggla and his short contract for a corner OF'er and provide the Dodgers with a wondeful sweetener in O'Flaherty and the Yankees could move a one year rental of Granderson (Ichiro / Gardner could play CF) while getting a corner OF'er that has some pop. The Yankees would sweeten the deal with any two of their top three prospects: Gary Sanchez C, Mason Williams CF and Tyler Austin OF...

Both of these "options" would be stretches...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Interesting rumors out there this morning. Heard something similar to this one on ESPN Cleveland earlier

@AnthonyLimaFAN: Hearing about a very interesting sales pitch for Nick Swisher today. All hands on deck.

also Heyman tossed this out FWIW

@JonHeymanCBS: i'm sure nick swisher, who lives in LA, wants to be a dodger. but source close to team says 1 talk w/ NS came "weeks ago''

Swisher is a limelight kinda guy.. the Dodgers would be a PERFECT landing spot for him w/r to that...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Let me clarify, at what point do the Indians move on? TODAY? Do the Indians acq. Another OF while leaving the offer open to Swisher - assuming he doesn't sign today. I've tried to suggest that, the Tribe move on Ross or Hairston with the idea if Swisher signs they could use all the OF help (4th OF / DH)...OR...simply move Brantley a la Denard Span / Ben Revere. If he doesn't sign do they turn to another OF or might they invest their resources ($$$) in SP.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Rosenthal now saying Dodgers could move on Bourn if Either is traded.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:33 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Let me clarify, at what point do the Indians move on? TODAY? Do the Indians acq. Another OF while leaving the offer open to Swisher - assuming he doesn't sign today. I've tried to suggest that, the Tribe move on Ross or Hairston with the idea if Swisher signs they could use all the OF help (4th OF / DH)...OR...simply move Brantley a la Denard Span / Ben Revere. If he doesn't sign do they turn to another OF or might they invest their resources ($$$) in SP.

They move in when they're ready to. Almost all reports have them basically obsessing over Swisher. Figure as soon as they have enough knowledge that he will or won't be coming to Cleveland they'll make that decision.

I don't think they view Swisher the same as they seem to with Youkilis and Reynolds. Swisher is clearly over the likely targets for the Indians while both Reynolds/Youkilis each have their warts.

The Indians seemed to prefer Youk but found a bargain for Reynolds. I say bargain based off of less questions. We know what we'll get from him while there was doubt to Youkilis would remain effective at a far more expensive rate.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Rosenthal now saying Dodgers could move on Bourn if Either is traded.

Sure they could. They'll also have to eat nearly half of the money to move Either AND then sign Bourn. Even for the Dodgers I don't see how that makes any sense.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Jon Heyman (on Twitter) says the Dodgers are looking for a RP. The Tribe has plenty of RP, Heyman said they prefer a lefty of which the Tribe has few. However, there are a cpl of guys the Tribe could move in a larger pkg that have success against both righties and lefties. The Dodgers and Tribe have reportedly had conversations on Dee Gordon, Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. The Dodgers and Pirates have supposedly talked Joel Hanrahan fwiw.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Jon Heyman (on Twitter) says the Dodgers are looking for a RP. The Tribe has plenty of RP, Heyman said they prefer a lefty of which the Tribe has few. However, there are a cpl of guys the Tribe could move in a larger pkg that have success against both righties and lefties. The Dodgers and Tribe have reportedly had conversations on Dee Gordon, Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. The Dodgers and Pirates have supposedly talked Joel Hanrahan fwiw.

If ever there was a place to spew rumors and ideas about trades, acquisitions & anything related to the Hot Stove, this is the place for Indians fans...

Speaking of which.. Does anyone know what "procedure" Tony referred to?.. It could something as simple as a need biopsy to what RustyMike needs, a full frontal lobotomy... If anyone knows....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:26 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's a qk look at Andre Either's remaining contract yrs...

Yr. Age. Current Team. Salary.

2013 31 Los Angeles Dodgers $13,500,000
2014 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $15,500,000
2015 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000
2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000
2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000
2018 36 Los Angeles Dodgers *$17,500,000 $17.5M Vesting Option, $2.5M Buyout

Per: baseballreference.com

Seems rich for the Tribe but could we see a team like the TX Rangers jump in?

The team to watch for w/r to Ethier isn't the Rangers..it could be the Yankees or Braves. They seem like a good matches. The Braves would love to move Uggla and his short contract for a corner OF'er and provide the Dodgers with a wondeful sweetener in O'Flaherty and the Yankees could move a one year rental of Granderson (Ichiro / Gardner could play CF) while getting a corner OF'er that has some pop. The Yankees would sweeten the deal with any two of their top three prospects: Gary Sanchez C, Mason Williams CF and Tyler Austin OF...

Both of these "options" would be stretches...

Don't see either the Braves or the Yanks as good fits. Brave would love to move Uggla? He's a big part of that team and not on a short contract as signed for the next 3 years. Plus Ethier isn't a leadoff guy so doesn't solve that problem, not to mention they are already overpaying one OFer. Yanks would be way better off just re-signing Swisher than trading for Ethier. Reason they are letting Swish walk is they are trying to get under the luxury tax after this season. Trading for Ethier would defeat the purpose long-term.

I agree with homer....Rangers would make more sense if the Dodgers made him avialable. Though just signing Swisher makes way more sense for the Rangers (and other clubs) unless the Dodgers ate salary.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:41 pm

JP_Frost wrote:I'd be interested in Ethier, but the Dodgers would have to eat a large part of that salary and that probably means parting with one of our top prospects, which I'm not willing to do.

I don't understand why the Dodgers want to move Dee Gordon btw. They have Hanley to play SS, but the rest of the infield aside from Gonzalez is pretty barren. A Ethier for Asdrubal trade could work imo (with some added parts on both sides).

I'd be interested in Ethier too and agree, they'd need to eat salary, at least $20M IMO. I think a deal around Ethier and Cabrera is an intersting idea. wouldn't do it straight up unless they ate a ton of money but as you said, with some added parts could work. Maybe Dee Gordon gets thrown in and we toss a spec or bullpen arm their way.

I agree with you, not sure why they want to move Dee. Don't really get why they'd move Ethier either. Do think Swisher is better, but not by a ton with the bat.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
JP_Frost wrote:I'd be interested in Ethier, but the Dodgers would have to eat a large part of that salary and that probably means parting with one of our top prospects, which I'm not willing to do.

I don't understand why the Dodgers want to move Dee Gordon btw. They have Hanley to play SS, but the rest of the infield aside from Gonzalez is pretty barren. A Ethier for Asdrubal trade could work imo (with some added parts on both sides).

I'd be interested in Ethier too and agree, they'd need to eat salary, at least $20M IMO. I think a deal around Ethier and Cabrera is an intersting idea. wouldn't do it straight up unless they ate a ton of money but as you said, with some added parts could work. Maybe Dee Gordon gets thrown in and we toss a spec or bullpen arm their way.

I agree with you, not sure why they want to move Dee. Don't really get why they'd move Ethier either. Do think Swisher is better, but not by a ton with the bat.

As for Dee Gordon there were some rumblings that the Indians were one of a handful of teams to express interest in Gordon a an OF and not as a SS.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:00 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

As for Dee Gordon there were some rumblings that the Indians were one of a handful of teams to express interest in Gordon a an OF and not as a SS.

Rumors I saw had Dee as a potential replacment for AC at SS, not an OFer in Clevealnd. Though the OF bit was more for Atlanta and teams like that?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Rumors I saw had Dee as a potential replacment for AC at SS, not an OFer in Clevealnd. Though the OF bit was more for Atlanta and teams like that?

Like I said it was just rumblings

@jaysonst: #Indians, #Mariners, #Braves & #Phillies among teams I heard asked #Dodgers about Dee Gordon. It appears all but Seat would try him in OF.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/m ... ordon.html
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:20 pm

@MLBastian: Free-agent OF Nick Swisher meeting with Indians' brass in Cleveland now. Scheduled to depart town this afternoon. Stay tuned for more.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 pm

"All but Seattle would try Gordon as OF..."

Brendan Ryan the M's SS last season hit a messily .194 last yr. The M's have been rumored to be looking for offensive upgrades. The M's have depth in pitching and some extra OF help too...I've not heard rumors linking the Tribe in any discussions that I recall but there could seemingly be a match, just my opinion. ACab could provide them a SS that would boost their offense and the Tribe might be able to land a young arm or two and an OF too....just saying looks like there could be a match.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:51 pm

@twithersAP: Told Progressive Field lights are on and Nick Swisher's face is on scoreboard as team tries to land free agent, who is visiting today
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Notes about all that has been talked about the last 12 hours

-MLBTR says Rangers not really interested in any FA OF's. I actually believe this. They have been pretty forward about what they are trying to do, and Swisher has never really come up with them...only speculated by reporters. Washington mentions he likes him though. LAD doesnt really seem that interested either...but you never know. Im becoming more confident about Swisher, but considering what happened with Hamilton, I would not be shocked if a surprise team jumped in and snagged him.

-Ethier would be awesome. He might be able to focus better outside of LA. I don't want it to happen though. It would cost Lindor probably and I'm not that interested in trading ACab for anything but pitching.

-Dee Gordon would be a nice, but the dodgers asking price is high. It is surprising to hear that teams want him for OF. I figured LA only put him on the market because they figured if the Indians were gonna ask for both Bauer and Skaggs for Acab, maybe they could nab a major talent like that for Gordon.

-Everyone says Texas is having a terrible offseason, but missing out on Upton, Grienke (who really wasnt great with the angels this season), and Hamilton may not be a bad thing. If they miss on Laroche, I would just go after one year of Morse and find a stop gap defensive centerfielder and wait till next offseason to try and upgrade with Granderson. I'm really happy we got Drew Stubbs in that Choo deal and have no interest in trading him, but he would be a decent fit for the Rangers. I wonder what they would offer if they were interested.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

@DustinFox37: Me and Tressel just put a full court press on Swisher at lunch! Went well. Will talk about it on @BullandFox today. #GoTribe #LETMERECRUIT

Tressel? Wow lol
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:10 pm

ironmike wrote:Geronimo & Hermie, stay clear of the dinner party tonite because if Swisher meets you two twiddlers of tall tales he'll certainly leave town. Did my best to get him here so let's see what happens.

I didnt want to, but I have to comment on this. I honestly believe that if Nick Swisher signs with the Indians, IronMike can take some credit for it. I think were all kind of shocked at what kinds of deals free agents are getting this offseason, and would never have expected the Indians to be so involved with not only 'kicking the tires' on players, but offering incredibly lucrative long term deals. I trust the FO when they say they think they can compete, but I think they understand what the perception of the general fanbase is towards the organization, and are willing to invest some $ to help bring some life back to Cleveland. We all got sick of hearing Mike's opinion of the ownership and FO, but I was never going to admit he was wrong about all of it, I just didn't care to hear about it every 50th post. Mike's and many others constant complaints may finally have been heard, and it could (not for certain, but I believe so) play a large part in whether we sign a guy like Swisher.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@DustinFox37: Me and Tressel just put a full court press on Swisher at lunch! Went well. Will talk about it on @BullandFox today. #GoTribe #LETMERECRUIT

Tressel? Wow lol

Ha thats awesome. It sucks that we have to put full court presses on with Ohio legends to get players to sign, but at least we are getting creative and doing everything we can.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm

It really sounds like the Tribe are trying to make things happen. It's good for the Tribe to generate a positive atmosphere and landing a guy like Nick Swisher would go a long way to bldg a winning and positive atmosphere, something that could change the culture of Indians baseball. IF the Tribe fails in this bid to land Swisher it won't be for a lack effort. Swisher would be a huge hit to fans and insanely popular - a hometown hero of sorts... Nonetheless, there would be a number of cynical fans who say the Tribe was only putting on a show. Personally, I'd like to see Swisher sign on the dotted line and then the Tribe go out and land Edwin Jackson and a cpl young arms through trades.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:"All but Seattle would try Gordon as OF..."

Brendan Ryan the M's SS last season hit a messily .194 last yr. The M's have been rumored to be looking for offensive upgrades. The M's have depth in pitching and some extra OF help too...I've not heard rumors linking the Tribe in any discussions that I recall but there could seemingly be a match, just my opinion. ACab could provide them a SS that would boost their offense and the Tribe might be able to land a young arm or two and an OF too....just saying looks like there could be a match.

Homer.. I have been saying all along.. the M's are the best match for the Indians to make a deal. The Indians wouldn't even have to have any of the M's top five prospects to make a good deal for both teams. The best situation would be to sent Asdrubal Cabrera and a BP arm that could be as good as Vinnie Pestano or Chris Perez (who I think would reduce the value of the trade, not improve the quality of the return) and or one of Albers or Shaw.. The M's would reciprocate with send the Indians Franklin Gutierrez (who I've always loved as a defender and believe/hope he can stay healthy for the 2013 and 2014 seasons), Brandon Maurer/James Paxton, and at least two of Stefen Romero, Francisco Martinez and Leon Landry.. The M's can sign Michael Bourn as a FA to complete the upgrade to the bullpen, their infield, their outfield and their offense. The Indians get a guy who is a year and a half away from becoming a bona fide ML SP, the fielding bible award winning CF'er they should have NEVER traded and two or three position player prospects that fill the upper minors with guys who may be able to contribute as early as 2013...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:It really sounds like the Tribe are trying to make things happen. It's good for the Tribe to generate a positive atmosphere and landing a guy like Nick Swisher would go a long way to bldg a winning and positive atmosphere, something that could change the culture of Indians baseball. IF the Tribe fails in this bid to land Swisher it won't be for a lack effort. Swisher would be a huge hit to fans and insanely popular - a hometown hero of sorts... Nonetheless, there would be a number of cynical fans who say the Tribe was only putting on a show. Personally, I'd like to see Swisher sign on the dotted line and then the Tribe go out and land Edwin Jackson and a cpl young arms through trades.

OSU basketball head coach Thad Matta was involved in a personal video played on the scoreboard for Swisher as well.

You'd think it would generate some positive vibes, but the Indians are getting ripped apart for their efforts. Being called desperate by many. Diamondbacks starter Brandon McCarthy is tearing into the Indians on Twitter and a lot of bloggers as well.

Indians are in a catch 22.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45 pm

The Tribe would catch negative press if they traded Choo away and simply said they feel like Thomas Neal is ready for his opportunity to become an everyday player at the ML level. Point is no matter what the Tribe does national pundits are going to sneer and mock. The approach is aggressive and creative and outside the box thinking...something this org. and the City of Cleveland needs, IMO.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The Tribe would catch negative press if they traded Choo away and simply said they feel like Thomas Neal is ready for his opportunity to become an everyday player at the ML level. Point is no matter what the Tribe does national pundits are going to sneer and mock. The approach is aggressive and creative and outside the box thinking...something this org. and the City of Cleveland needs, IMO.

I just think its pathetic a player is ripping a team for courting a player they want. McCarthy sounds petty and bitter he didn't get that treatment from Arizona or Oakland or maybe even Cleveland. He knows if Cleveland put on this kind of show for him he'd be soaking it all in like he was a king for a day. Really a bitch move on his part IMO.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:53 pm

‏@BMcCarthy32
"Sure you spent four years with the most recognizable baseball team on Earth but here's your name & face on OUR scoreboard. Ready to sign?"

@craigcalcaterra
@BMcCarthy32 They're giving him the whole in-season experience too: the ballpark is empty.

Comedy gold!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Crazy thought here, but the Tribe could have announced it open to the public and absolutely free and put out a all out blitz on the local media to draw attendance.

Obviously, they didn't take that route bc they wanted to pitch him directly but could have been a creative way to involve the fan base.

As for Brandon McCarthy, I have to say, "No comment". He's not worth the time.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm

@MLBastian: Swisher hasnt signed. Has standing offer from CLE. Outfielder en route to another team's city for visit. More soon on http://t.co/YRXqaKst

Looks like this drama will continue through this whole week, maybe even through next.

@MLBastian: Video message for Swisher at Progressive Field included OSU coaches Thad Matta, Urban Meyer and Greg Beals, among others. O-H
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Watching MLBNetworks "Hot Stove" from this morning. Ken Rosenthal doing his usual update and started with Swisher, said Cleveland has a very real chance of getting Swisher etc. mentions Cleveland and Seattle specifically as "very much in it" and Texas really is so so with him. (We'll see of course).

Cue Harold Reynolds with "Red Sox, first base."

Reynolds is by far better than most anything ESPN offers, but he and Mitch Williams really are both just awful. Ok rant over.

Fausto Carmonandez signed with Tampa Bay, 1 year, 3.25 million
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 pm

In other news...

AJ Pierzynski is visiting the TX Rangers (mlbtraderumors). Pierzynski would be a solid add for the Rangers.

Collin Cowgill-OF was traded to the Mets for minor league 3b Jefry Marte. Cowgill was acq. last yr in the Trevor Cahill deal. Cowgill can play all the OF spots - of note the A's utilize some OF depth. For the A's it was to clear roster space, for the Mets it was to acq. a young useful OF who's ready for his big league shot. Marte provides the A's a young 3b with some upside. Cowgill was a guy I thought the Tribe might have some mild interest but that was speculation on my part.

Jose Veras formerly of the Brewers (and once w/ the Tribe) signed a deal with the Astros.

Kind of surprised the pitcher formerly known as Fausto got "that kind" of money...
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 pm

What does a "standing offer" mean? Does it simply imply that it is on the table for him throughout the next few weeks, contrary to a "take it or leave it" type offer?
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Russ Canzler DFA'd to make room for Reynolds on the roster whose signing is now official.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:32 pm

BrianM wrote:What does a "standing offer" mean? Does it simply imply that it is on the table for him throughout the next few weeks, contrary to a "take it or leave it" type offer?

Basically they made him an offer and await an answer as they part ways and each party goes about their business.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:33 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Russ Canzler DFA'd to make room for Reynolds on the roster whose signing is now official.

Hmmm...thought McDade was more likely IMO.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Agreed thought Canzler would have been this teams Shelley Duncan. McDade seemed likely to go, interesting move. Maybe the Tribe can swing a deal in the next 10 days for Canzler. I guess McDade being a SH and only 23 adds a little value for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Canzler claimed or traded.

I was seriously thinking the Tribe could have another deal in the works since it took a while to announce the roster move to add Mark Reynolds to the team.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Don't be surprised if McDade is DFA'd as well.. it's not if..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:05 pm

BTW.. the Swisher "open offer" is fine.. if he comes back. great....however, unlikely...

If he doesn't.. fine.. he wasn't gonna come here anyway....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 pm

The Tribe still has Gomes, McDade and McGuinness as options beyond Mark Reynolds. I thought McDade might be the one to go however. I wasn't a huge Canzler fan but he does offer some positional flexibility. I won't be shocked to see him claimed or traded. McDade might very well be the next one to go, hard to say bc the Tribe might decide to cut lose some dead weight from elsewhere (Gomez, Huff) or they might very well be close to making another deal and maybe they add in a few spare parts as sweetener...

No problem with the open offer to Swisher, I'm curious does he now take this offer elsewhere and say, "this is what I've got, this what it will take..." Could very well be the case.

If they get the feeling Swisher isn't biting they should turn their resources elsewhere. Maybe the go hard after a cpl veteran pitchers instead and try to land a low key FA or two in the OF. I still think they need to aggressively pursue options like Cody Ross, Scott Hairston. If they were to land Swisher plus one of Ross / Hairston - Great! Then they could simply carry those 4 (4th OF / DH) or try to trade Brantley for a Span / Revere type pkg. If they miss on Swisher and one of Ross / Hairston at least they've landed a solid option in RF. Personally, I'd like to see them offer a cpl incentive laden minor league deals for Ryan Raburn and / or Ryan Sweeney, both guys who could contribute if need be.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Have to admit, I was impressed with the Indians effort the past day and a half to get Swisher. That said, I'm not overly confident in our chances right now to sign him.. I'd say.. 35/65 right now. Maybe just being pessimistic.

Side note... Canzler DFA for Reynolds? Pretty surprised on that one..
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Have to admit, I was impressed with the Indians effort the past day and a half to get Swisher. That said, I'm not overly confident in our chances right now to sign him.. I'd say.. 35/65 right now. Maybe just being pessimistic.

Side note... Canzler DFA for Reynolds? Pretty surprised on that one..

Agree with you on your odds, don't think you're really being that pessimistic, may be overly optimistic with those numbers even. Tribe tried hard to get Beltran last year too so got my expectations tempered.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:02 pm

‏@JonHeymanCBS
the swisher tour does not currently include the #mariners. get feeling they want to do protect that No. 12 draft pick
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Per: Jim Bowden the Cubs and Rangers are the last two teams standing for Edwin Jackson. Makes no mention of the Tribe having interest. The Rangers make sense after missing on Grienke and Hamilton and the Cubs will bid aggressively as we've seen them on Anibal Sanchez. I'd love to see the Tribe land Jackson but it seems it may be becoming increasingly less likely as well.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Just heard on MLB Network that the Tribe's offer to Swisher was believed to be 4 yrs/$50 million. Don't think he signs for that. I've read 4 yrs/$60 million so I don't know which is correct. If they are offering $50 million it should be for 3 yrs. He might sign for that.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:41 pm

From what I've heard the original offer was 4 yrs / $50 M. I read today, I think on MLB.com it said they did not change that offer.

Interesting to see Bowden did not link the Tribe to Jackson. I'm curious who their SP targets are, it seems they need to land a veteran innings eater for the pitching staff. They could go after a number of guys like Shaun Marcum, Carlos Villanueva, Bret Myers, Francisco Liriano and Joe Saunders none of which are overwhelming but the right signing or two could land the Tribe an arm capable of logging some much needed sound innings. There are still of number of guys returning from injury, etc. who the Tribe could try to land. Scott Kazmir is one particularly that's been linked to the Tribe, it was reportedly recently that his velocity is back up to 94 and that he has looked good in winter ball. There's also been some speculation the Tribe has interest in Rich Harden as well.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:From what I've heard the original offer was 4 yrs / $50 M. I read today, I think on MLB.com it said they did not change that offer.

Interesting to see Bowden did not link the Tribe to Jackson. I'm curious who their SP targets are, it seems they need to land a veteran innings eater for the pitching staff. They could go after a number of guys like Shaun Marcum, Carlos Villanueva, Bret Myers, Francisco Liriano and Joe Saunders none of which are overwhelming but the right signing or two could land the Tribe an arm capable of logging some much needed sound innings. There are still of number of guys returning from injury, etc. who the Tribe could try to land. Scott Kazmir is one particularly that's been linked to the Tribe, it was reportedly recently that his velocity is back up to 94 and that he has looked good in winter ball. There's also been some speculation the Tribe has interest in Rich Harden as well.

Well WTF. They just want to pay Swisher what they paid Hafner for the last 4 yrs? I know Hafner wasn't worth it but you'd think Swisher would get more just for positional value plus being so consistent & consistently durable. Give the guy an extra $2.5 million per year. You'll still get more production than Hafner & Sizemore together.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:06 am

Rocky55 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:From what I've heard the original offer was 4 yrs / $50 M. I read today, I think on MLB.com it said they did not change that offer.

Well WTF. They just want to pay Swisher what they paid Hafner for the last 4 yrs? I know Hafner wasn't worth it but you'd think Swisher would get more just for positional value plus being so consistent & consistently durable. Give the guy an extra $2.5 million per year. You'll still get more production than Hafner & Sizemore together.

I basically agree. I'm hoping that they made this offer believing they had a clear understanding of his market. There are very few sources actually claiming that teams have showed serious interests in offering Swisher a long term contract for that type of money. The Red Sox could turn into one if Napoli falls through, but Texas' interest seems casual at best, and the biggest threat after that appeared to be Seattle, but he does not plan on visiting them apparently. Texas could jump in and make a nice offer, but Bourne seems like the more realistic Target for them. Unless Baltimore, or maybe another mystery team (dont think it will be LAD) jumps in like the Angels did with Hamilton, I think our offer could end up being the best one he sees. If he ends up signing a deal with another team for 2 years 32 million, or something along those lines, I won't be upset. The FO has put itself in the crap position we are in today, but they did everything they could to impress Swisher, and if he doesnt want to be here, so be it. It is not worth throwing out 10 million extra dollars to try to convince a guy to come who doesnt want to be here in the first place.

That being said, Texas will probably sign him 4yr/40 mil.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:55 am

Surprised on Canzler being the DFA. I guess the best explanation is that he's the most likely to clear waivers. Seams like it would have made more sense to DFA a pitcher, since they're quite heavy in that department. But I guess they didn't think Wood or Herrmann or Huff would clear.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:13 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Crazy thought here, but the Tribe could have announced it open to the public and absolutely free and put out a all out blitz on the local media to draw attendance.

Obviously, they didn't take that route bc they wanted to pitch him directly but could have been a creative way to involve the fan base.

As for Brandon McCarthy, I have to say, "No comment". He's not worth the time.

I find it curious that we are getting bashed for this. If one of the big spenders went to that length they'd get lauded as being innovative. I guess because it's Cleveland and the Indians are desperate.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:07 am

The thing about Russ Canzler is, he is what he is... I've heard that cliche over and over again and in this case It's true. Canzler offers some pop and could look good at times. At the same time Canzler will get exploited by good big league pitching, he does offer some positional flexibility but add the same time lacks the defense to justify playing just about anywhere in the field. Canzler is what many would consider a younger version of Shelley Duncan.

As for not dipping into the bullpen surplus. It's coming, the team has a number of holes to fill if they can add a young controllable bat and / or a young controllable SP they will. I've heard repeatedly they've changed their philosophy one of those changes is giving themselves a number of options and they've done that. Adding Mike Aviles gave the Tribe the ability to trade ACab without having to go out to find a ML caliber replacement.

They were already deep in bullpen arms and sold high on Esmil Rogers and most recently acquired Matt Albers and Bryan Shaw giving them even more depth. Blake Wood was a low risk / high reward waiver claim from the KC Royals. The Royals were in a roster crunch and Wood is recovering from TJ which means he won't be ready until summer. Wood offers 4 yrs of control, prior to injury Wood has hitting 97 / 98 mph. Wood has 7th / 8th inning stuff which is why the Tribe claimed him on waivers and why I think they hold on to him.

That being said if it comes down to it the Tribe could DFA guys like Frank Hermman, Jeanmar Gomez and David Huff as well. It wouldn't really surprise me to see the Tribe trade a bullpen arm or two. The club needs a RF, SP and LHRP and might use some bullpen depth to land these pieces.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 am

BrianM wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

I basically agree. I'm hoping that they made this offer believing they had a clear understanding of his market. There are very few sources actually claiming that teams have showed serious interests in offering Swisher a long term contract for that type of money. The Red Sox could turn into one if Napoli falls through, but Texas' interest seems casual at best, and the biggest threat after that appeared to be Seattle, but he does not plan on visiting them apparently. Texas could jump in and make a nice offer, but Bourne seems like the more realistic Target for them. Unless Baltimore, or maybe another mystery team (dont think it will be LAD) jumps in like the Angels did with Hamilton, I think our offer could end up being the best one he sees. If he ends up signing a deal with another team for 2 years 32 million, or something along those lines, I won't be upset. The FO has put itself in the crap position we are in today, but they did everything they could to impress Swisher, and if he doesnt want to be here, so be it. It is not worth throwing out 10 million extra dollars to try to convince a guy to come who doesnt want to be here in the first place.

That being said, Texas will probably sign him 4yr/40 mil.

If Swisher signs for that much less he'd better get the blame from Tribe fans. I'm no FO knob polisher but in this case they've done what they could do.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors