RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

MLB Hot Stove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: MLB Hot Stove

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Sorry that was clearly a typo.

RE: the Cards and Indians talked trade ACab for 3 player pkg but the Tribe wanted more. Hoynes said it was the Phillies. Joe Strauss (St. Louis Dispatch) said it was the Cards and Tribe that were close to a deal prior to the MLB winter mtgs.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 pm

@DKnobler: Carlos Pena agrees to terms with Astros. One year, $2.9 million, plus $1.4 million in incentives. http://t.co/dKXx0u26

Didn't hear a thing about Pena so far this whole offseason. Good park for him to go hit in.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:@Buster_ESPN: The Indians are making a push in their effort to land Nick Swisher.

We shall see what happens

Going to be an intersting week I think. I know reports are the Tribe is hoping to get him for 4 years in the $48-50M range but gotta imagine he'll get more even if not in Clevealnd. Can't imagine Swisher and his agent wouldn't bring up Hafner's 4yr/$57M deal when they meet this week. I know Hafner's money was spread out over more years since it was an extension and not a free agent deal, but still think that's where the Tribe is gonna have to go to get Swisher. I'd be ok with pushing it to $60M over 4 years (with an option/buyout tacked on) but that would be my ceiling if I'm the Tribe. 4/$58 or 4+option/$60M....largest deal in Tribe history but personally think Swisher would be worth it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Pena fits the Astros well low cost investment, cross Morales off the target list for the Stros.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Pena fits the Astros well low cost investment, cross Morales off the target list for the Stros.

Quite possibly Lance Berkman too....

Think this is a solid sign for the Astros. Pena could bounce back and end up a nice trade candidate for them mid-season.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Hermie completely agree Pena is a low risk guy who could net them a useful prospect or two come July.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:@Buster_ESPN: The Indians are making a push in their effort to land Nick Swisher.

Going to be an intersting week I think. I know reports are the Tribe is hoping to get him for 4 years in the $48-50M range but gotta imagine he'll get more even if not in Clevealnd. Can't imagine Swisher and his agent wouldn't bring up Hafner's 4yr/$57M deal when they meet this week. I know Hafner's money was spread out over more years since it was an extension and not a free agent deal, but still think that's where the Tribe is gonna have to go to get Swisher. I'd be ok with pushing it to $60M over 4 years (with an option/buyout tacked on) but that would be my ceiling if I'm the Tribe. 4/$58 or 4+option/$60M....largest deal in Tribe history but personally think Swisher would be worth it.

Who knows what the Indians are really thinking at this point. It's very likely IMO, no matter what the Indians offer, if he leaves his visit without a deal, he will not sign with Cleveland period. He'll take his offer to Texas and probably won't even let the Indians know he's signing elsewhere.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:53 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Who knows what the Indians are really thinking at this point. It's very likely IMO, no matter what the Indians offer, if he leaves his visit without a deal, he will not sign with Cleveland period. He'll take his offer to Texas and probably won't even let the Indians know he's signing elsewhere.

Agree completely with the bolded part. Think we'll know on Swisher early this week one way or the other.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Go Tribe,

Agreed if he leaves w/o a deal he's not likely to sign with the Tribe. Interestingly, Cody Ross the next guy in line hasn't signed anywhere yet either. I'm guessing he's got an offer or two from these teams just waiting for Swisher to sign now so he can push his cost up a bit. Edwin Jackson looks like he could get signed late this week too, with the Sanchez signs now done teams seemed to be down a few options.
The mkt for ACab should now be up. Drew's deal with the Red Sox is reportedly, 1 yr / $9.5 M w/ $500k in incentives or shall we say he got $10 M for 1 yr and ACab is signed 2 yrs / $16 M and provides superior offense and 2 yrs of control for the right price...
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:55 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Tribe and Jays have talked 3 of 4: Lance Lynn, Matt Adams, Matt Carpenter and Seth Blair. There were a cpl deals they were rumored to be close to getting done but the Tribes insistence upon a fourth player in the deal - Matt Carpenter - was the deal breaker for the Cards.

This happened when exactly?
He meant Tribe and Cards...

No that part I understood, the only reported deal by anyone I've seen has been the rumored deal with the Phillies who would have moved him to 3rd base that fell apart due to the Indians asking for a 4th player.

Who reported this supposed deal with the Cards?

I believe it was Joe Strauss of the St Louis Post Dispatch.. I'm pretty sure it was.. I'll look for the link...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:57 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Another interesting note from this listing of FA's and Available ML'ers that could impact teams in the 2013 season: A trade for the Braves Mike Minor or:
...Minor has plenty of talent as well. He entered the 2011 season as one of the top prospects in baseball, and he performed well in his first full season as a starter in 2012, compiling a 4.12 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP in 30 starts. Minor gave a glimpse of how great he could be in the second half, as he posted a 2.16 ERA and a 0.87 ERA over 87.1 innings in 14 starts. He upped his K/BB from 1.95 to 4.19..... It's going to take at least a legit starter to land Minor. The trade-off is that he's going to be dirt-cheap over the next couple of seasons, and he has the potential to be a No. 2 or even a No. 1 starting pitcher. Down the line, Minor could prove to be the best starting pitcher acquired this winter
This could be the one for one deal we've been looking for with Asdrubal Cabrera going to the Braves for Minor.. I'd be ecstatic about that kind of deal..

Minor is a decent pitcher but I think it's WYSIWYG as I think he's already close to (or at his ceiling). If we deal with the Braves, I'd rather get Delgado/Tehran +. Unless the Indians sign Swisher, I'd rather deal A-Cab to get a pitcher and a RF. I'm just not convinced that Swisher wants to come to Cleveland.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:01 pm

daingean wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Another interesting note from this listing of FA's and Available ML'ers that could impact teams in the 2013 season: A trade for the Braves Mike Minor or:
...Minor has plenty of talent as well. He entered the 2011 season as one of the top prospects in baseball, and he performed well in his first full season as a starter in 2012, compiling a 4.12 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP in 30 starts. Minor gave a glimpse of how great he could be in the second half, as he posted a 2.16 ERA and a 0.87 ERA over 87.1 innings in 14 starts. He upped his K/BB from 1.95 to 4.19..... It's going to take at least a legit starter to land Minor. The trade-off is that he's going to be dirt-cheap over the next couple of seasons, and he has the potential to be a No. 2 or even a No. 1 starting pitcher. Down the line, Minor could prove to be the best starting pitcher acquired this winter
This could be the one for one deal we've been looking for with Asdrubal Cabrera going to the Braves for Minor.. I'd be ecstatic about that kind of deal..

Minor is a decent pitcher but I think it's WYSIWYG as I think he's already close to (or at his ceiling). If we deal with the Braves, I'd rather get Delgado/Tehran +. Unless the Indians sign Swisher, I'd rather deal A-Cab to get a pitcher and a RF. I'm just not convinced that Swisher wants to come to Cleveland.

Agree here. One reason I think the A's could be a great fit. Have young pitching (would love to get Cole) and have a full OF, could part with one. Choice would be an intersting name to get too. A's may not want to part with talent after the Carlos Gonzalez-Matt Holliday fiasco, but never know. Maybe get a guy like Chris Young or Michael Taylor too.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 pm

@CaminoTribe: Source: Nick Swisher coming to Cleveland tonight. Having dinner with #Indians team president Mark Shapiro this evening.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@CaminoTribe: Source: Nick Swisher coming to Cleveland tonight. Having dinner with #Indians team president Mark Shapiro this evening.

If he leaves town without signing a contract, then he wont be back unless he's going to be with a visiting team.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Carlos Pena signed with the Astros or will shortly.. one less DH Hungry team for the Kendrys Morales Sweepstakes?.....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
daingean wrote:

Agree here. One reason I think the A's could be a great fit. Have young pitching (would love to get Cole) and have a full OF, could part with one. Choice would be an intersting name to get too. A's may not want to part with talent after the Carlos Gonzalez-Matt Holliday fiasco, but never know. Maybe get a guy like Chris Young or Michael Taylor too.

I think Taylor could be had. Even if he weren't apart of a deal for Asdrubal he's basically behind Cespedes, Crisp, Reddick and Young.

Taylor's power hasnt shown like I think it was expected to, but he still shows solid speed on the bases, draws a lot of walks and still could be a 15-20 home run 20-30 doubles player down the line.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:46 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Tribe and Jays have talked 3 of 4: Lance Lynn, Matt Adams, Matt Carpenter and Seth Blair. There were a cpl deals they were rumored to be close to getting done but the Tribes insistence upon a fourth player in the deal - Matt Carpenter - was the deal breaker for the Cards.

No that part I understood, the only reported deal by anyone I've seen has been the rumored deal with the Phillies who would have moved him to 3rd base that fell apart due to the Indians asking for a 4th player.

I believe it was Joe Strauss of the St Louis Post Dispatch.. I'm pretty sure it was.. I'll look for the link...

yes.. it was him in his St Louis Today Column:

...QUESTION: With Asdrubal Cabrera apparently on the trade block, what is the likelihood of the Cards inquiring about his availability? Do you think guys like Lance Lynn and Matt Adams could serve as the pillars of a deal with the Indians? Do you think 'Mo' would trade from our RH pitching strength to find a long-term solution at SS?

Follow-up question: Joe, what odds do you have on one or two of these four pitchers being in a different organization come spring training: Kelly, Lynn, Rosenthal, Miller?

STRAUSS: I do believe the Cardinals' interest in Asdrubal Cabrera real. With such a flimsy free agent market for shortstops, a number of teams are intrigued by Cabrera if the Indians are indeed willing to shop him.

To compete for Cabrera, the Cardinals would have to part with multiple prospects. One of the names you mention would certainly be introduced into talks by the Tribe. The Cardinals' willingness to part with a current or future member of their starting rotation would then be tested..
here's the link to the entire article: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... c25d8.html

And, he has had several followup question/answer/subject columns since then about the Cardinals and their pursuit of a viable SS like Asdrubal Cabrera who he has high regard for (I hate ending a sentence in a preposition, makes me feel grungy..maybe I'll get my Caddie to clean it up... hey Hermie!!???)...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:53 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

...QUESTION: With Asdrubal Cabrera apparently on the trade block, what is the likelihood of the Cards inquiring about his availability? Do you think guys like Lance Lynn and Matt Adams could serve as the pillars of a deal with the Indians? Do you think 'Mo' would trade from our RH pitching strength to find a long-term solution at SS?

Follow-up question: Joe, what odds do you have on one or two of these four pitchers being in a different organization come spring training: Kelly, Lynn, Rosenthal, Miller?

STRAUSS: I do believe the Cardinals' interest in Asdrubal Cabrera real. With such a flimsy free agent market for shortstops, a number of teams are intrigued by Cabrera if the Indians are indeed willing to shop him.

To compete for Cabrera, the Cardinals would have to part with multiple prospects. One of the names you mention would certainly be introduced into talks by the Tribe. The Cardinals' willingness to part with a current or future member of their starting rotation would then be tested..
here's the link to the entire article: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... c25d8.html

And, he has had several followup question/answer/subject columns since then about the Cardinals and their pursuit of a viable SS like Asdrubal Cabrera who he has high regard for (I hate ending a sentence in a preposition, makes me feel grungy..maybe I'll get my Caddie to clean it up... hey Hermie!!???)...

That link is from November 7 and is all speculation of who the author thinks the Cards could offer. It doesn't say anything about a rumored deal that fell apart over Matt Carpenter.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

That link is from November 7 and is all speculation of who the author thinks the Cards could offer. It doesn't say anything about a rumored deal that fell apart over Matt Carpenter.
There were other links and reports out of St Louis about this. This link may not be the exact one that Homer was referring to.. It's there though.. there is no doubt about that.. I remember reading it...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:02 pm

There was another article by Joe Strauss that discussed Lance Lynn and Matt Adams specifically and did mention Matt Carpenter as well. I've posted both links previously. There was actually a third article by another writer from the STL dispatch tht discussed ACab and the Cards don't remember the author. I think ? one of the Cards blogs (viva el birdos?) actually had an article about it to (-ACab interest-) I think the Matt Carpenter part was speculation...on behalf of Strauss may not have been true but I repeated it bc Strauss is a credible source.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Go Tribe,

Here's one of those links I referred to...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 1827a.html

This one is different than the one G'Son posted. There was another I couldn't find by Strauss, I think there's also another article but I haven't been able to locate it. This article linked above mentions all those guys. As I said I repeated what Strauss was saying bc I deemed him a reliable source. FWIW, It may have been speculation on his part as I said it was rumored, rumors are exactly that...but I didn't dream or make this up...simply referred to a rumor that may not have been true. Look I'm not pretending to know a bunch of ppl in the know nor do I have all these mysterious sources. I'm a normal guy like probably everyone else on this board and simply referred to a rumored deal as such.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:07 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Go Tribe,

Here's one of those links I referred to...

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 1827a.html

This one is different than the one G'Son posted. There was another I couldn't find by Strauss, I think there's also another article but I haven't been able to locate it. This article linked above mentions all those guys. As I said I repeated what Strauss was saying bc I deemed him a reliable source. FWIW, It may have been speculation on his part as I said it was rumored, rumors are exactly that...but I didn't dream or make this up...simply referred to a rumor that may not have been true. Look I'm not pretending to know a bunch of ppl in the know nor do I have all these mysterious sources. I'm a normal guy like probably everyone else on this board and simply referred to a rumored deal as such.

I have never been accused of being normal... it feels weird...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Guess I need to learn to be careful how I "say" things. :smile
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:29 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Guess I need to learn to be careful how I "say" things. :smile

Nah.. just keep saying them.. once you get past the pedantic nature of people who want to believe they know it all, then you can get to my level, where I do.... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:48 pm

@susanslusser: Industry source tells me #Athletics likely to explore trade options for SS now Drew off market. #RedSox offer was quite a bit more than A's.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm a little unclear read on Tony's twitter the Tribe has offers out to both Swisher and Jackson.They are ready to acq. / sign a SP and OF. I'm not sure if I posted that right, but does that mean that the Tribe will acq. Either or both by trade if they miss out on signing one or both of Swisher & Jackson?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm a little unclear read on Tony's twitter the Tribe has offers out to both Swisher and Jackson.They are ready to acq. / sign a SP and OF. I'm not sure if I posted that right, but does that mean that the Tribe will acq. Either or both by trade if they miss out on signing one or both of Swisher & Jackson?

I have read a few times they are prepared to explore trades if unable to land a FA. Would make sense if they miss on an OF they look to deal for one, likely a lesser know commodity. Example, miss out on Swisher, swing a deal for the previously mentioned Michael Taylor or someone of that ilk. Blocked and low on the depth charts perhaps.

I think as far as pitching goes, they want to sign Jackson and still acquire arms in trade, but not just any arm. The high upside arms like Bauer, not Corey Kluber or Mitch Talbot types.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Go Tribe,

Thanks, that's how I was reading that. The A's are a team I think they could work something out with btw. Personally, I think they could / should pursue deals and add FA's that they can Swisher, Jackson, Ross, Myers, Villanueva, Jurrgens, Hairston, Liriano, Sweeney, Raburn to name a few they COULD have legit interest in.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ironmike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:42 pm

Geronimo & Hermie, stay clear of the dinner party tonite because if Swisher meets you two twiddlers of tall tales he'll certainly leave town. Did my best to get him here so let's see what happens.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:46 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm a little unclear read on Tony's twitter the Tribe has offers out to both Swisher and Jackson.They are ready to acq. / sign a SP and OF. I'm not sure if I posted that right, but does that mean that the Tribe will acq. Either or both by trade if they miss out on signing one or both of Swisher & Jackson?
One or the other or both or neither.. in other words, all options are on the table..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 pm

ironmike wrote:Geronimo & Hermie, stay clear of the dinner party tonite because if Swisher meets you two twiddlers of tall tales he'll certainly leave town. Did my best to get him here so let's see what happens.

Thanks for the belly laugh ironmike. For some reason I picture bert and ernie standing on a front doorstep, clutching a casserole dish and a couple of wilting flowers....lol
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:24 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
ironmike wrote:Geronimo & Hermie, stay clear of the dinner party tonite because if Swisher meets you two twiddlers of tall tales he'll certainly leave town. Did my best to get him here so let's see what happens.

Thanks for the belly laugh ironmike. For some reason I picture bert and ernie standing on a front doorstep, clutching a casserole dish and a couple of wilting flowers....lol

I dont' care what anyone says..I'm not going to be Bert, this time... I've always been more of an Ernie !!...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:36 pm

And just like that.....

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Athletics close on a new shortstop. It's
Hiroyuki Nakajima, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. Career .310 hitter with Seibu Lions in Japan.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:44 pm

So you're a cab driver??
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Nakajima gets 2 yrs / $6.5 M w/ 3rd yr option for $5.5 from the A's.

Looks like things could be shaping out, cross Boston and Oakland off the list of teams who are interested in ACab. By my estimation that leaves about four clubs (SEA, LAA, LAD, STL) who MIGHT have interest in ACab. Of course there's others who may emerge or re-emerge back in the picture. It may mean that ACab goes no where until July 31st.

He's another thought on ACab...ACab has experience at 2b and SS and could probably convert to the hot corner in a pinch. I'd actually say he should / could be better at 3b or 2b defensively. There are still a number of teams that want upgrades at those positions that could emerge into the fray. The upper tier of FA are qkly running out and there are a number of clubs like ATL that could get creative to fill out the lineup - like having Prado in left and ACab at 3b. I think G'Son posted something similar earlier in the day. Point is some teams could step up for ACab bc they feel he could provide some added punch and it may mean a pos. change.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:04 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Nakajima gets 2 yrs / $6.5 M w/ 3rd yr option for $5.5 from the A's.

Looks like things could be shaping out, cross Boston and Oakland off the list of teams who are interested in ACab. By my estimation that leaves about four clubs (SEA, LAA, LAD, STL) who MIGHT have interest in ACab. Of course there's others who may emerge or re-emerge back in the picture. It may mean that ACab goes no where until July 31st.

He's another thought on ACab...ACab has experience at 2b and SS and could probably convert to the hot corner in a pinch. I'd actually say he should / could be better at 3b or 2b defensively. There are still a number of teams that want upgrades at those positions that could emerge into the fray. The upper tier of FA are qkly running out and there are a number of clubs like ATL that could get creative to fill out the lineup - like having Prado in left and ACab at 3b. I think G'Son posted something similar earlier in the day. Point is some teams could step up for ACab bc they feel he could provide some added punch and it may mean a pos. change.

Yeah the idea of Asdrubal switching positions has already been explored with the non trade with the Phillies. The fact that Asdrubal represents a number of different possibilities helps his value.

In the end I feel the Indians are better off waiting and seeing what's out there in July. Hoping a team gets desperate for no reason when the season is still months away is pointless. If the Indians fall out in July more teams become possible trade partners depending on their need for a player like Asdrubal. Its also not like Asdrubal is the only option on the trade market with Jed Lowrie also known to be out there.

Both players are said to have high price tags but it could be less than Cabrera right now. Similar problem for Perez while Joel Hanrahan is being shopped.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:55 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Nakajima gets 2 yrs / $6.5 M w/ 3rd yr option for $5.5 from the A's.

Still think the Pirates could be on the list of clubs interested in Asdrubal as a SS. Haven't seen the Angels interested since they have Aybar but they could try him at 2B or 3B I suppose. Looking at positions other than SS definitely opens up some other possibilities for AC.

I still think the Blue Jays could be a fit for Asdrubal as 2B could use an upgrade (though Bonaficio has at times been starter worthy). They've made two big trades already so are clearly going for it this year and the next couple. Still have a few intersting pieces they could deal, like Happ, Bonaficio, Aaron Sanchez, Matt Smoral (PTBNL), Norris, Nolin, Gose, etc.

I do think the Braves are an interesting idea for Cabrera. Not the best leadoff option though and that's a need for the Braves. Could try Simmons or Prado there again, or maybe force AC into that spot but Cabrera hasn't been a good OBP guy since 2009. Definitely an out of the box idea, one maybe the Braves would try.

As others have said, lot could depend on a Swisher addition as to how the Tribe goes about dealing/not dealing Asdrubal this winter. Plus, since he's signed thru 2014, could hold on to him and deal him mid-season. Another very good 1st half and his value could be higher in July even. Or who knows, maybe the Tribe is competing and they don't deal him til next winter.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

So you're a cab driver??

Nope.. he's not a cab driver yet, but he's trying. He just needs to work harder on the tests.. He stayed up to study for his urine test and he still failed.... :rolleyes
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 am

Per: The Dallas Morning News...

"Nearly two weeks after news broke that the Boston Red Sox had agreed to a three-year, $39 million deal with former Rangers C Mike Napoli, there has still been no press conference to officially announce the signing. That led to speculation that there was a problem with Napoli's physical last week, which seems to be the case, according to SI.com's Will Carroll.
Carroll reported on Twitter this week that the two sides were "back in negotiations," with the Red Sox asking Napoli to accept a deal for fewer years. He also noted that Nick Swisher was "Plan B" for Boston.
Sources told Boston Globe reporter Nick Cafardo that the snag in the deal is related to the Red Sox's concerns over the health of Napoli's leg or hip, or possibly both. Cafardo added that the sides are trying to work out protective language in the contract that relates to Napoli's injury situation.
Though it doesn't appear that talks between the sides have broken down, it's worth noting that Napoli's deal with Boston isn't final yet, and the catcher still technically remains a free agent.
Napoli hit .227/.343/.469 with 24 homers in 108 games last season for the Rangers."
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Per: The Dallas Morning News...

"Nearly two weeks after news broke that the Boston Red Sox had agreed to a three-year, $39 million deal with former Rangers C Mike Napoli, there has still been no press conference to officially announce the signing. That led to speculation that there was a problem with Napoli's physical last week, which seems to be the case, according to SI.com's Will Carroll.
Carroll reported on Twitter this week that the two sides were "back in negotiations," with the Red Sox asking Napoli to accept a deal for fewer years. He also noted that Nick Swisher was "Plan B" for Boston.
Sources told Boston Globe reporter Nick Cafardo that the snag in the deal is related to the Red Sox's concerns over the health of Napoli's leg or hip, or possibly both. Cafardo added that the sides are trying to work out protective language in the contract that relates to Napoli's injury situation.
Though it doesn't appear that talks between the sides have broken down, it's worth noting that Napoli's deal with Boston isn't final yet, and the catcher still technically remains a free agent.
Napoli hit .227/.343/.469 with 24 homers in 108 games last season for the Rangers."

Good work Homer. You beat MLBTR with this info. This is not very good news though...
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 am

@FeinsandNYDN: Source: Dodgers shopping Andre Ethier. If they deal him, they could be in the mix for Nick Swisher.

FWIW
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am

BrianM wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Per: The Dallas Morning News...

Good work Homer. You beat MLBTR with this info. This is not very good news though...

What are you talking about? Rosenthal and Morosi both reported this days ago.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:00 am

It was reported days ago. Mlbtraderumors hasn't talked about it to my knowledge.

Curious would the Dodgers really move Either after extending him and why?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:07 am

I'd be interested in Ethier, but the Dodgers would have to eat a large part of that salary and that probably means parting with one of our top prospects, which I'm not willing to do.

I don't understand why the Dodgers want to move Dee Gordon btw. They have Hanley to play SS, but the rest of the infield aside from Gonzalez is pretty barren. A Ethier for Asdrubal trade could work imo (with some added parts on both sides).
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 am

I didn't want to be vague when I said the Red Sox could step unto the picture for Swisher. Swisher is about to get a big pay day question is who's paying him? Swisher is expected to leave Cleveland today by some reports. It seems doubtful he signs a deal before leaving. At what point should the Tribe pursue other options?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:18 am

Here's a qk look at Andre Either's remaining contract yrs...

Yr. Age. Current Team. Salary.

2013 31 Los Angeles Dodgers $13,500,000
2014 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $15,500,000
2015 33 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000
2016 34 Los Angeles Dodgers $18,000,000
2017 35 Los Angeles Dodgers $17,500,000
2018 36 Los Angeles Dodgers *$17,500,000 $17.5M Vesting Option, $2.5M Buyout

Per: baseballreference.com

Seems rich for the Tribe but could we see a team like the TX Rangers jump in?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:36 am

Rosenthal... 2 AL teams inquired about Either and were told NO.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:I didn't want to be vague when I said the Red Sox could step unto the picture for Swisher. Swisher is about to get a big pay day question is who's paying him? Swisher is expected to leave Cleveland today by some reports. It seems doubtful he signs a deal before leaving. At what point should the Tribe pursue other options?

They should already pursue other options. Never bet on one horse.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:01 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I didn't want to be vague when I said the Red Sox could step unto the picture for Swisher. Swisher is about to get a big pay day question is who's paying him? Swisher is expected to leave Cleveland today by some reports. It seems doubtful he signs a deal before leaving. At what point should the Tribe pursue other options?

TBH... Swisher came to the Northcoast to put on a show, not to sign a contract.. He's due in Bay Area by the end of the week, where, he'll most likely sign a deal. The interest level from him has been about at the same level of comments and interviews he's given to any reporters that cover the Indians.. not at all...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:02 pm

Interesting rumors out there this morning. Heard something similar to this one on ESPN Cleveland earlier

@AnthonyLimaFAN: Hearing about a very interesting sales pitch for Nick Swisher today. All hands on deck.

also Heyman tossed this out FWIW

@JonHeymanCBS: i'm sure nick swisher, who lives in LA, wants to be a dodger. but source close to team says 1 talk w/ NS came "weeks ago''
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors