RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

MLB Hot Stove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: MLB Hot Stove

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
BrianM wrote:Ok...Here's an option. This would not be my preference, because I would like either Skaggs/ Bauer

Indians get: Derek Holland, Martin Perez, Archie Bradley
Dbacks get: Acab, Mike Olt, Joe Smith, D. Paulino
Rangers get: J Upton

I don't know how Derek Holland is valued by the Rangers or in the industry, but I have always liked him. Hard throwing Lefty.

The Dbacks get to hang on to both Skaggs and Bauer. The Indians get 2 now type pitchers, and a VERY good young prospect without adding one of their other major trade chips. Texas gets their man without giving up one of their SS and shed a little bit of payroll by dealing Holland.

I'm sure there is a reason this wouldn't fly, but I'm just trying to be creative and fairly realistic.

Minus Paulino, this one might actually work.

I think it's more doable without Paulino but still not sure the Rangers give up that much for Upton. Perez is a highly regarded prospect, even with the K-rate drop. Holland has value as a solid middle of the rotation starter signed potentially thru 2018. Olt is obviously a good spec too. I think on paper the talent is fair, but think Texas would need to have a guy like Shields or Greinke in hand before the moved Holland.

I would LOVE to get Holland though. Solid K/BB rate, lefty, under control for a long time, and his ERAs away from Arlington the last 2 seasons are 3.39 and 3.65 (as opposed to 4.69 and 5.55 at home). Think he could be a solid #2 in a less hitter friendly park. Struggled some with the long-ball and the heat of Texas doesn't help there. Giving up AC and Smitty for that trio is somethign I'd do. Do have reservations on Martin Perez, but still think he could turn things around. I'd kind of rather have Olt though (even though I like Chiz at 3B). D'backs have Matt Davidson at 3B and had a very nice year at AA. Could be ready opening day 2014, hence why they brought in a guy like Chavez on a one year deal.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 am

I still think we would be walking away the clear winner in most of these deals, and even though they seem fair, I don't think AZ and TX would let us get away with it.

If you told me we could potentially walk away with a deal that sent us Holland, Bauer, and Perez (or a more preferred Texas pitching prospect), I would be willing to include all of Acab, Smith, Cody Allen, Paulino, Salazar. Plug Bauer and Holland into our rotation right now, throw the money at Swisher and sign Youk/Reynolds along with it, we have ourselves a team, and we were able to do it without dealing CP, Choo, or Masterson. Instead we dealt a SS that is overvalued due to the market, and players that represent strength in the system (RP, MI).

This is why I don't see it happening. It seems realistic, but things just generally dont work out in our favor
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby theshow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:I could see the Dbax wanting more if that were the deal maybe the Tribe kicks in Tony Wolters to the Dbax, while the Rangers send them Wilmer Font. So here's how that would look...

Tribe - Trevor Bauer, Martin Perez, Mike Olt
Dbax - Derek Holland, Asdrubal Cabrera, Wilmer Font, Tony Wolters
Rangers - Justin Upton

THIS TRADE IS INDIANS FANS BEING HOMERS! NO WAY WE GET THAT MUCH FOR ONLY ASCAB AND WOLTER!
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:13 am

BrianM wrote:I still think we would be walking away the clear winner in most of these deals, and even though they seem fair, I don't think AZ and TX would let us get away with it.

If you told me we could potentially walk away with a deal that sent us Holland, Bauer, and Perez (or a more preferred Texas pitching prospect), I would be willing to include all of Acab, Smith, Cody Allen, Paulino, Salazar. Plug Bauer and Holland into our rotation right now, throw the money at Swisher and sign Youk/Reynolds along with it, we have ourselves a team, and we were able to do it without dealing CP, Choo, or Masterson. Instead we dealt a SS that is overvalued due to the market, and players that represent strength in the system (RP, MI).

This is why I don't see it happening. It seems realistic, but things just generally dont work out in our favor

I guess I just think the difference between Justin Upton and Asdrubal Cabrera's value isn't that great though. Definitely agree Upton is worth more than just him, but Asdrubal did outhit Upton this year and plays a more premium position. This is one reason the Rangers are likely holding off on Andrus or Profar and the Braves are saying no on Simmons. I honestly think Olt and Cabrera is more than fair for Upton...the D'backs getting Smith too is icing on the cake (and getting Paulino also would be a mini coup IMO). I do agree the Rangers probably wouldn't go for it though.

Also not sure the D'backs can get maximum value for Upton when they keep putting him on the block or making it known he's available seemlingly ever 4-6 months. Think teams will start to think the D'backs just really want to move on from Upton and not offer full value. Maybe I'm mistaken there though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 am

theshow wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:I could see the Dbax wanting more if that were the deal maybe the Tribe kicks in Tony Wolters to the Dbax, while the Rangers send them Wilmer Font. So here's how that would look...

Tribe - Trevor Bauer, Martin Perez, Mike Olt
Dbax - Derek Holland, Asdrubal Cabrera, Wilmer Font, Tony Wolters
Rangers - Justin Upton

THIS TRADE IS INDIANS FANS BEING HOMERS! NO WAY WE GET THAT MUCH FOR ONLY ASCAB AND WOLTER!

Well if reports are true that the D'backs prefer to deal us Bauer instead of Skaggs for Cabrera, and we asked for another spec...I really don't think this deal is that crazy for the Tribe. Yes, it'd be a very good deal but Perez's value is down. I think the D'backs are actually coming out just as well as the Tribe here.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:36 am

Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:I still think we would be walking away the clear winner in most of these deals, and even though they seem fair, I don't think AZ and TX would let us get away with it.

I guess I just think the difference between Justin Upton and Asdrubal Cabrera's value isn't that great though. Definitely agree Upton is worth more than just him, but Asdrubal did outhit Upton this year and plays a more premium position. This is one reason the Rangers are likely holding off on Andrus or Profar and the Braves are saying no on Simmons. I honestly think Olt and Cabrera is more than fair for Upton...the D'backs getting Smith too is icing on the cake (and getting Paulino also would be a mini coup IMO). I do agree the Rangers probably wouldn't go for it though.

Also not sure the D'backs can get maximum value for Upton when they keep putting him on the block or making it known he's available seemlingly ever 4-6 months. Think teams will start to think the D'backs just really want to move on from Upton and not offer full value. Maybe I'm mistaken there though.

I will say this Hermie. In the last 5 minutes I have realized that maybe we should be the clear winner of this trade considering that without us, it just doesnt get done. Texas wants Upton without giving up one of their SS's. If they acquire Upton, they likely don't resign Hamilton, but are probably then the front runner to sign Greinke (apparently his wife wants to be in Texas). They in a great position without the discussed trade pieces. They should have to pay a lot.

Im going insane. Im never gonna judge our FO again. This stuff is difficult. Im surprised Shapiro still has hair.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 am

its not that difficult - the tribe has pretty much said Acab and Choo are available. That does NOT mean they are going to be traded.. That means - we are listening to offers. They are wise not to pull the trigger that doesnt net them at LEAST Bauer or Skaggs or both or one of those plus 2.

the indians have made there "demands" pretty clear - its up to the other teams to pull the trigger IMO
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:45 am

FWIW from Tony on the Twitter

@
TonyIPI: Source: Indians may be close to 3-team deal with Rays and Dbacks. Could be completed early on Thursday.

@TonyIPI: The teams involved are fluid. But from what I heard Cabrera has been apprised of situation. Sounds like momentum is building toward a deal.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am

GoTribe028 wrote:FWIW from Tony on the Twitter

@
TonyIPI: Source: Indians may be close to 3-team deal with Rays and Dbacks. Could be completed early on Thursday.

@TonyIPI: The teams involved are fluid. But from what I heard Cabrera has been apprised of situation. Sounds like momentum is building toward a deal.

These 3 teams make sense to me. Upton to the Rays, Shields and Cabrera to the D'backs, Bauer/Skaggs and Bradley to Cleveland? Some fillers in there to balance things out a bit maybe
Last edited by Hermie13 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am

From what I'm hearing, Texas is still very alive in these discussions... stay tuned. Rosenthal also reporting the Mariners have inquired about becoming part of this deal.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 am

Tell ya what, if the Indians can net Bauer, Olt, and another prospect, I'd be VERY happy with that return. Zero complaints from me. That's a big if.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 am

A.Zajac wrote:Tell ya what, if the Indians can net Bauer, Olt, and another prospect, I'd be VERY happy with that return. Zero complaints from me. That's a big if.

What about Bauer, Olt and a ML player like Kubel or?? Indians would have to add something..
Last edited by criznit2009 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 am

A.Zajac wrote:Tell ya what, if the Indians can net Bauer, Olt, and another prospect, I'd be VERY happy with that return. Zero complaints from me. That's a big if.

I'd have no complains about that haul for Cabrera either. Agree, big "if" there.

Curious if you did get Olt in a deal...where do you play him? 3B and move Chiz seems the best option as he's better defensively than Chiz there, though with all the work we've put into Chiz there wonder if Olt is really even a guy the Tribe is targeting? Chiz in LF or RF would work IMO though as he's got the arm. Maybe 1B but think that's a bit of a waste. Could just leave Chiz at 3B and use Olt at 1B or the OF too I guess?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:46 am

I start Olt in triple AAA at 3rd. Let Chiz sink or swim.. Still plenty of DH time in CLE too.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:47 am

criznit2009 wrote:

What about Bauer, Olt and a ML player like Kubel or?? Indians would have to add something..

That would be an intersting trio as well. Gives you a FOR guy (potentially) with Bauer. Masterson, Bauer, Ubaldo, McAllister, and Carrasco isn't a great rotation but could be solid with improvements. Kubel and Canzler in LF/DH and Olt/Chiz at 1B/3B makes the lineup better even with the dropoff from Cabrera to Aviles. I am not so sure the D'backs would trade Kubel and Upton though, especially after moving Young already. Know they still have OF options but may want to keep one of those two for now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:48 am

Hermie13 wrote:

I'd have no complains about that haul for Cabrera either. Agree, big "if" there.

Curious if you did get Olt in a deal...where do you play him? 3B and move Chiz seems the best option as he's better defensively than Chiz there, though with all the work we've put into Chiz there wonder if Olt is really even a guy the Tribe is targeting? Chiz in LF or RF would work IMO though as he's got the arm. Maybe 1B but think that's a bit of a waste. Could just leave Chiz at 3B and use Olt at 1B or the OF too I guess?

From the reports I've gathered, they would move Olt to first.

And answering a previous question above, I would like to see Kubel be included, but I don't see it likely.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:49 am

criznit2009 wrote:I start Olt in triple AAA at 3rd. Let Chiz sink or swim.. Still plenty of DH time in CLE too.

Olt already cracked the big leagues though with that good Texas team. Hit 28 HRs with a .977 OPS in over 400 plate appearances at AAA. I'm not sure he has a whole lot left to prove at AAA. I agree on let Chiz sink or swim...just not sure what position you let him do that at. Chiz is definitely in the Tribe's opening day lineup (barring a trade) IMO though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 am

Heading to bed, someone summen the tornado siren if a deal goes down while I'm sleeping.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 am

Nothing new this morning but Jim Bowden put this out there

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Diamondbacks not budging off needing Andrus or Profar for Upton and more likely to trade two young pitchers for Asdrubral Cabrera
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:53 am

If the Indians can get Skaggs or Bauer plus another prospect for Cabrera (and maybe a throw-in like Phelps/Marson/Joe Smith), I think they would be in great position to get a big return for Choo. That would essentially close the market on Upton, as the D'Backs would have less incentive to trade him. You could then try to trade Choo to Texas for Mike Olt (and maybe something else), since they seem keen on dealing him for a RF.

There seems to be a big opportunity here.

But, since we're all speculating...

Indians get: Cody Buckel, Bauer, Upton
DBax get: ACab, Mike Olt, Paulino
Rangers get: Choo
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:38 am

The Phillies are reportedly close to acq. Michael Young from the Rangers.

Does that make landing Mike Olt in a 3/4 team trade more difficult? Maybe.

Does it knock the Phillies out on Kevin Youkilis? I say yes.

Does it knock the Phillies out on Nick Swisher? I say no.

Interesting news overnight on the potential blockbuster I'm merely guessing at this point but here's my guess what could go down.

Indians - Bauer, Skaggs, ???
Dbax - ACab, Shields
Rays - Choo, ???

I'd love to see the Tribe land Swisher and Reynolds although I'm not sure if they go after to big league hitters especially if they were able to land Swisher. I'm not high on Youkilis but he has been a professional hitter for yrs. I can see Youkilis hitting .230 20hrs while Reynolds would probably hit .220 30+hrs. I'd prefer Reynolds bc at the same cost I'd rather see the Tribe have the huge power Reynolds possesses although we'd hate the K machine it'd be hard to hate the power Reynolds holds.
At this point I'd almost rather see the Tribe land 2 of 3 Bauer, Skaggs, Bradley and Cody Ross and Mark Reynolds for the lineup.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 am

Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:I start Olt in triple AAA at 3rd. Let Chiz sink or swim.. Still plenty of DH time in CLE too.

Olt already cracked the big leagues though with that good Texas team. Hit 28 HRs with a .977 OPS in over 400 plate appearances at AAA. I'm not sure he has a whole lot left to prove at AAA. I agree on let Chiz sink or swim...just not sure what position you let him do that at. Chiz is definitely in the Tribe's opening day lineup (barring a trade) IMO though.

Olt skipped AAA
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 am

Olt would be acq. to man 1b.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 am

What about excluding the Rangers and their unwillingness to include the player the DBax actually want?

Indians get: Trevor Bauer, Chris Archer and Mikie Mahtook
Rays get Justin Upton
Dbax get: Jeremy Hellickson & Asdrubal Cabrera
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 am

What about excluding the Rangers and their unwillingness to include the player the DBax actually want?

Indians get Trevor Bauer(#1), Brandon Mauer (#11), Francisco Martinez (#12) and Leon Landry (#18)
Mariners get Justin Upton
Dbax get Stefen Romero (#10) & Asdrubal Cabrera

These two 'suggestions' take the Rangers out of the mix. While I'd love to see a Mike Olt and that group, it just doesn't look like the Rangers have come to make a trade. They appear to be happier flexing their financial muscle more that anything.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 am

St Louis is still a viable landing spot for Asdrubal as well.. Just like Hermie's intent to move Asdrubal to second base for the Cards would work out quite well. His defensive metrics say he's better there (while the eye test says that if you catch the ball to the right of the bag, you can catch the ball to left of the bag..statistics are used in many cases to supplant intuition and common sense). This would allow the Cardinals youngster, Kolten Wong time to develop.

Matt Carpenter, Matt Adams and Trevor Rosenthal still looks mighty good..even if it meant adding a BP arm or something else to facilitate the deal
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am

Love the speculated landing spot for Josh Hamilton being Seattle. What a way to shake up this 'trade' situation. Without Hamilton, the Rangers may feel a need to make the Upton trade.. even if it hurts a little. They have to have Hamilton's offense replaced.. that can be done with J-Up..or possibly Shin-soo Choo. The Olt + SP deal would be a nice return for the one year remaining on his contract. That's only IF the Rangers continue to insist on NOT trading Profar/Andrus....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:41 am

From Jim Bowden

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Kevin Youkilis deciding between Yankees and Indians but $12m dollar offer by Yanks should make this an easy decision
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Love the speculated landing spot for Josh Hamilton being Seattle. What a way to shake up this 'trade' situation. Without Hamilton, the Rangers may feel a need to make the Upton trade.. even if it hurts a little. They have to have Hamilton's offense replaced.. that can be done with J-Up..or possibly Shin-soo Choo. The Olt + SP deal would be a nice return for the one year remaining on his contract. That's only IF the Rangers continue to insist on NOT trading Profar/Andrus....

Not sure I 100% agree. IF Hamilton lands in Seattle and the stRangers decide to part with Profar/Andrus to get Upton then that would reduce the number of suitors for Asdrubal by 1 (Diamondbacks) which would weaken the Asdrubal trade market some. A better solution might be for the an Indians-Diamondbacks-Braves deal which lands J.Upton in Atlanta with his brother and the Indians getting some combination of Delgado/Tehran + prospects. This would still leave Choo available to the stRangers.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:16 am

daingean wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Love the speculated landing spot for Josh Hamilton being Seattle. What a way to shake up this 'trade' situation. Without Hamilton, the Rangers may feel a need to make the Upton trade.. even if it hurts a little. They have to have Hamilton's offense replaced.. that can be done with J-Up..or possibly Shin-soo Choo. The Olt + SP deal would be a nice return for the one year remaining on his contract. That's only IF the Rangers continue to insist on NOT trading Profar/Andrus....

Not sure I 100% agree. IF Hamilton lands in Seattle and the stRangers decide to part with Profar/Andrus to get Upton then that would reduce the number of suitors for Asdrubal by 1 (Diamondbacks) which would weaken the Asdrubal trade market some. A better solution might be for the an Indians-Diamondbacks-Braves deal which lands J.Upton in Atlanta with his brother and the Indians getting some combination of Delgado/Tehran + prospects. This would still leave Choo available to the stRangers.

That makes sense too.. the only issue I'd have with that is the only time it seems the Braves trade a pitcher (with notable exceptions that are few and far between Wainwright as an example) is when the guy no longer has any value. The Teheran / Delgado pair sound like a good plan.. however, I just don't trust the Braves to be fully forthcoming as it relates to their prospects. If anything, the Cardinals deal would be better.. Sending Asdrubal back to the Mariners should be /could be / might be better as well.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Brace yourselves....could be over...and not involve the Indians

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Two Upton blockbuster in play. One is three teams: #Diamondbacks, #Rangers, #Rays. Other is four teams, including #Mariners.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Brace yourselves....could be over...and not involve the Indians

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Two Upton blockbuster in play. One is three teams: #Diamondbacks, #Rangers, #Rays. Other is four teams, including #Mariners.

Kevin Towers is being interviewed on MLB Network right now..saying that the Justin Upton proposed deal(s) don't look like they're going to happen and J-Up will be starting the 2013 season as a Diamond Back.. Rosenthal said what?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Tony just posted the tweet about the dbacks rangers rays deal.
tex gets upton
rays get ranger prospects
dbacks get TB starter

That should only help us in our quest to get two young starters from the dbacks.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:03 pm

At this stage of the Winter Meetings, it looks like the Indians may make a handful of single player two team deals. The 'distraction' of being included in talks for mega deals and "quadraphonicalostomy" (yes, this is a 'made up word') has come and gone. So, what are the options:

Asdrubal Cabrera to one of three teams:
Dbax: Two of the following: Bauer, Skaggs, Bradley (the Indians may need to add to this deal)
Mariners Two of the following: Paxton / Mauer & Francisco Martinez / Leon Landry; if Choo is included, all four
Cardinals: Matt Adams and Trevor Rosenthal

The Rays might also be involved with a Asdrubal/Choo deal, but less likely due to the financial constraints the Rays operate under and adhere to strictly.. and

with Tony's tweet, the addition of a Rays SP to the DBax, this might facilitate the Dbax/Indians trade.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:10 pm

From Bowden

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Kevin Towers made it clear to us he is looking for a SS he controls more than 2 yrs so no Andrus or Cabrera
Last edited by GoTribe028 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Olt skipped AAA

Thanks for the catch there. Maybe AAA would work, though still think he's a better 3B than Chiz.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Phillies acquire Ben Revere. Nice pick up for them.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:From Bodwen

@JimBowdenESPNxm: Kevin Towers made it clear to us he is looking for a SS he controls more than 2 yrs so no Andrus or Cabrera

If this is true then wonder where the D'backs are looking or a SS. Profar doesn't seem like he's going anywhere and Simmons from the Braves either. Not many good, young SS's out there that are avaialble and under team control for more than 2 years. Maybe the Braves move Tyler Pastornicky?

Wonder too if Towers simply meant needed a SS like that for Upton or in general? Maybe Lee from TB is in play since they have Escobar for the next 3 years potentially (or maybe they flip him again)?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 pm

@JonHeymanCBS: Worley going in deal to philly for ben revere. #twins
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm

BrianM wrote:Phillies acquire Ben Revere. Nice pick up for them.

Wow. I agree, very nice pickup. Very surprised the Twins moved him after moving Span.

If the Phillies use Revere in CF (no MLB HRs, so not a cOF bat)....where does this leave Bourn?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

Wow. I agree, very nice pickup. Very surprised the Twins moved him after moving Span.

If the Phillies use Revere in CF (no MLB HRs, so not a cOF bat)....where does this leave Bourn?

Maybe Seattle, and Hamilton back to Tex, and Swish to....us?
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

Seattle seems to be connected to every FA lately (including Youlilis now). Could see Bourn there.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 pm

@JSalisburyCSN: Vance Worley and Trevor May to Minn for Ben Revere. He will be Phils' CF.

So the Twins have done what the Indians are hoping to do with A-Cab and others. Have added Alex Meyer and now Trevor May along with Worley
Last edited by GoTribe028 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Brace yourselves....could be over...and not involve the Indians

Not sure a 3-team deal with the D'backs, Rangers, and Rays would rule out Asdrubal to the D'backs though. Pure speculation but wonder if the D'backs aren't asking for Shields from the Rays, with Upton going to Texas and specs to Tampa? D'backs getting an Ace like Shields would make it easier to move Bauer or Skaggs (plus another pitcher) for Asdrubal...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:33 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
@JSalisburyCSN: Vance Worley and Trevor May to Minn for Ben Revere. He will be Phils' CF.

So the Twins have done what the Indians are hoping to do with A-Cab and others. Have added Alex Meyer and now Trevor May along with Worley

wow, that's pretty hefty price. Still think it's a good add by the Phillies but liked May a lot. Twins definitely addressing their SP this winter. I wonder if they could make a crazy push for a guy like Bourn, Hamilton or Swisher now with the holes they've opened in the OF??
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

If this is true then wonder where the D'backs are looking or a SS. Profar doesn't seem like he's going anywhere and Simmons from the Braves either. Not many good, young SS's out there that are avaialble and under team control for more than 2 years. Maybe the Braves move Tyler Pastornicky?

Wonder too if Towers simply meant needed a SS like that for Upton or in general? Maybe Lee from TB is in play since they have Escobar for the next 3 years potentially (or maybe they flip him again)?

Didi Gregorius / Zack Cozart from the Reds, Dee Gordon from the Dodgers and Jed Lowrie from the Stos could become more prominent options for the DBax.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:38 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Seattle seems to be connected to every FA lately (including Youlilis now). Could see Bourn there.

Unless a new team emerges, Bourn may need Seattle to pony up. If the Rangers get JUpton too....makes could leave few places for Bourn, Hamilton, and Swisher...

Phillies could still make a play I suppose as their cOF spots aren't settle (Revere can play RF or LF). Braves have an opening but would they give out 2 big OF deals in one winter? O's probably filled their spot with McLouth though could use him as a 4th OFer/DH. Red Sox have a full OF barring an Ellsbury deal. Yanks don't want to spend. Same with the Giants according to reports. Reds look like they may go Ludwick. Nats filled their need via Span. Blue Jays added Melky. Am I missing a team? Maybe the Tigers get involved again with a hole in LF I guess?

I'm sure I'm just fooling myself but maybe it's not so crazy that Swisher could end up in Cleveland? Mariners need an OFer but can't see them signing 2 of Bourn, Hamilton, Swisher....Maybe the Brewers sneak in somehow? Mets I suppose?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:40 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Getting Bourn would make Scott Boras' day. Add Choo to the deal and Jack Z & old friend Eric Wedge would have a very solid defensive and offensive outfield.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:42 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Didi Gregorius / Zack Cozart from the Reds, Dee Gordon from the Dodgers and Jed Lowrie from the Stos could become more prominent options for the DBax.

Cozart would be a nice add by the D'backs and could be available. Not sure they match up well with the Reds though. No holes in the rotation for the Reds, could use a leadoff hitter/OFer but not sure Upton fits that bill (and money could become tight for the Reds). They'd be an interesting team to add to a multi-team trade though.

Lowrie sounds like he's staying put but never say never. Not a big Gordon fan and not sure that's quite what the D'backs have in mind. Definitely some options though, good call.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Couple more tweets of interest

@Joelsherman1: #Indians real threat to #Yankees on Youkilis: offering 2 yrs to NYY 1, Youk played for Cle mgr Francona in Bos, he's from Cincy

@JeffPassan: Early verdict: Twins got monster return for Ben Revere. Executive sees Trevor May as at least No. 3 starter, Worley as solid back-end guy.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors