RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Manny Acta fired by Indians

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Manny Acta fired by Indians

Postby timdav » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:17 pm

OK...now they've done what everybody thought they'd do.

It's time for the Dolans to step up and do it right: make significant moves...not b.s. moves.

While a much better manager is great...but, the on-field performance will change little without significant changes in player development, talent evaluation...and that starts with the front office.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Re: Manny Acta fired by Indians

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:35 pm

timdav wrote:OK...now they've done what everybody thought they'd do.

It's time for the Dolans to step up and do it right: make significant moves...not b.s. moves.

While a much better manager is great...but, the on-field performance will change little without significant changes in player development, talent evaluation...and that starts with the front office.

A lot of people know this, it's just a matter if Dolan, or even Shapiro knows it and moves are considered with Chris Antonetti and others on the coaching staff.

More importantly, Sandy Alomar knows what is needed. He's almost a shoe in at this point to be the head of the club in 2013 IMO.

"Mark this as the day the 90's returned in the form of the All 90's Indians coaching staff" Said random idiot on The Twitter

EDIT: For what it's worth, and IMO very little, Adam the Bull on 92.3 reporting the Indians and Terry Francona are "in talks" and both sides are "very interested"

Honestly believe I have a better shot at the Indians manager job than Francona coming to town.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby timdav » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:02 pm

While having a razor-thin player budget certainly makes the FO job difficult...you simply have to question the skills of Shapiro and Antonetti in trades and the hiring of player development people (scouts, etc.).
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby ironmike » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Manny Acta is a class act, great baseball man. He's better off, he'll latch on manage again and be much happier. Sandy Alomar and bringing back Omar is all about selling tickets in the off-season. Things won't change, bad business model, an owner who is a bureaucrat rather than an entrepreneur, who hired a poor team President who in turn is not a true baseball guy, who hired a rookie GM who started his baseball career selling souvenirs for the Montreal Expos, in turn who can't hire quality scouts or administrators around him.

What else could it be???
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Well Acta, may not be a "bad" manager but he certainly failed to get it done. Sure he didn't have much to work with and he is a bit of a fall guy at this point. He will get another opportunity someday and I wish him luck. I am glad he is gone though as I feel he isn't a good manager despite who he is managing. Lets go 2013!! LOL
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ironmike » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:43 am

Antonetti said, "Manny's not the only one to blame," Antonetti said. "We need to really look hard organizationally at how we can get better, especially at the major league level because our performance was not what we expected and not what we hoped. We have higher expectations and we need to do a better job of identifying some of those solutions."

Problem is the Cleveland Indians front office does not have the necessary baseball hardcore pedigree to get it done. Expect more of the same. Didn't think Dolan would have the intelligence or balls to make the right moves. He is a the leading part of the existing problem. He relies on Shapiro to tell him everything, which has led to this horror show.

Terry Francona as manager? They need good baseball guys making the front office decisions. Terry, Mike Hargrove, Rick Manning and others should be considered as the GM. The position should be re-tooled with as Chief Baseball Evaluator and then surround these guys with administrators, spread sheet geeks. The CBE makes ALL baseball decisions including hiring and firing of scouts. Hire a consultant like Pat Gillick or John Hart to assist and support. That's how this can be turned around and FIXED.

Shapiro would be reassigned and have no say in baseball operations. Let him smooze the sponsors / partners and get bids on fireworks.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby timdav » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 am

I wonder if the Dolans realize the anger and growing apathy about their organization isn't just about the collapse of the major league team in 2012?

The decline has been going on for about 10 years...with only one decent season (2007). They've won one playoff series since the early part of LAST decade.

I've said this all summer: when you've hired and fired/replaced hundreds and hundreds of players, major and minor league managers and coaches, scouts, scouting and player personnel directors over and over and over again...and the major league team continues to be mediocre at best....isn't it obvious where the likely source of their problem is: the key front office people who make all the decisions...hire everybody else...and assemble the players. Duh!!!!

The Dolans are lawyers....supposedly smart, analytical people. Hello??????

Surely they have to see beyond just being contented to make a few bucks from revenue sharing every season to see the huge, growing crack in their 323-million-dollar investment.

If they can't see that, I'd never want anybody in their law firm representing me.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 am

timdav wrote:I wonder if the Dolans realize the anger and growing apathy about their organization isn't just about the collapse of the major league team in 2012?

The decline has been going on for about 10 years...with only one decent season (2007). They've won one playoff series since the early part of LAST decade.

I've said this all summer: when you've hired and fired/replaced hundreds and hundreds of players, major and minor league managers and coaches, scouts, scouting and player personnel directors over and over and over again...and the major league team continues to be mediocre at best....isn't it obvious where the likely source of their problem is: the key front office people who make all the decisions...hire everybody else...and assemble the players. Duh!!!!

The Dolans are lawyers....supposedly smart, analytical people. Hello??????

Surely they have to see beyond just being contented to make a few bucks from revenue sharing every season to see the huge, growing crack in their 323-million-dollar investment.

If they can't see that, I'd never want anybody in their law firm representing me.

I personally think the Dolans are told by other owners that they have a keeper in MS. They let MS call the shots and he chose to keep his buddies CA & co. I do think Dolan wants a winner but he doesn't know how to get there. BTW, lawyers are not always good at running a company but most of them are very competitive. I don't see that competitiveness in LD.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors