RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

MLB trade deadline

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

MLB trade deadline

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:15 pm

The MLB trade deadline is fast approaching at 4 pm EST Tuesday. I thought I'd provide a quick resource for Tribe rumors.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Re: MLB trade deadline

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 pm

The past wk Chris Perez has been rumored to be on the market. He is controllable for the next 2 yrs and has been lights out this season. The Giants are rumored to have interest, with Brian Wilson season ending injury. Also, there has been some speculation that the Dodgers and Cardinals might have some interest.

Shin-Soo Choo is drawing interest from a couple of clubs...namely the Pirates who have reportedly been talking to the Tribe about OF Starling Marte. The Rangers have reportedly been rebuffed by the Tribe in attempts to pry Choo loose, and the Reds are also said to have interest. Also, there has been some speculation that the Mariners and the Giants have considered Choo.

Justin Masterson's name has been to linked to the Rangers, they reportedly scouted his last start against MN. Masterson is controllable through 2014, but has been on a roller coaster ride all season.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:09 am

A few rumors out there Pence might be headed to the Giants.. but conflicting reports at this point.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 am

I'm curious if the Tribe had any interest in Chris Johnson, the former Astros 3b. Johnson was traded a few days ago to the DBax for 2 OF. He's controlled through is arb yrs has the size of a typical 1b at 6'4 220 lbs and has OF, and 1b exp. and bats RH. Johnson is hitting near .280 with 8 hrs in 350+ abs. So he'd project to hit about 12/13 hrs this yr.

Those are Chase Headley type numbers although Headley is a top 10 3b in all of baseball and Headley can swipe a few bags as well. Johnson would have been a nice add by the Tribe IMO to man 1b (when Chisenhall returns) and add a RH bat that is / was cost controlled with versatility to play a few positions.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am

If Pence is dealt to the Giants that's obviously one less suitor for Choo. I believe the Reds and Pirates are the most aggressive suitors. I'd love to see the Tribe get Drew Stubbs from the Reds and hopefully a cpl other minor league pieces as well.

I'm honestly, a little surprised to hear Masterson could be moved...thats like hitting the reset button, and really shows the gapping hole of talent in the system. CA must have been inspired by the Mat Latos, Gio Gonzalez returns to even consider it. I'd prefer to keep Masterson long term, he's had a rough yr but when he's clicking on all cylinders is one of the best ini the game.
The Rangers have been linked to Masterson. I'd hate to move him at all but a cpl names the Tribe will press for in return would likely be Mike Olt, Martin Perez, Cody Buckel and Justin Grimm.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:00 pm

Jayson Stark posted this today

- The Indians continue to insist they don't expect to deal either Masterson or Choo. But other teams aren't so sure. Masterson, said one NL exec, "is definitely on the market, no matter what they're saying." And Choo is a Scott Boras client who can be a free agent after next year. So several clubs say the Indians have dangled his name. But they're also looking to be "overwhelmed," and they're not anxious to take any of the $1.6 million or so remaining on his salary this year.

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=8214694

Still doubt the Indians do much except say the guys we have need to be better.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Apparently the Phillies are interested in Choo. A Domonic Brown and Jesse Biddle for Choo swap would be pretty good imo.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:40 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Apparently the Phillies are interested in Choo. A Domonic Brown and Jesse Biddle for Choo swap would be pretty good imo.

I dunno man, Biddle is interesting....

I'm hard pressed to think of ANY Phillies prospects traded at one time or anther since the initial Cliff Lee trade went down that have amounted to anything. Dom Brown hasn't exatly lit up 3A this year. Solid, nothing eye poping though...IMO anyway.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Brown is an interesting change of scenery guy I think. The tools are there, he just needs playing time.

I agree that our previous experiences with the Phillies weren't ideal, but they seem to have some interesting parts. It's too bad that the Rangers pulled out, because Mike Olt would've been a prime target I think.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:06 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Brown is an interesting change of scenery guy I think. The tools are there, he just needs playing time.

I agree that our previous experiences with the Phillies weren't ideal, but they seem to have some interesting parts. It's too bad that the Rangers pulled out, because Mike Olt would've been a prime target I think.

He's a good target sure, but if they wouldn't part with him for Grinke, an obvious need for the Rangers, I don't know that they would part with him for another bat.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm

We'll see how things turn out. Reportedly the Indians are asking a lot for Choo and Masterson b/c they think they can compete in 2013, but I don't really see the impetus for this team to be any better next year unless the Indians are able to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Sellers will try to keep the price high until tomorrow when the rubber meets the road. To me, Choo for Starling Marte looks like a good fit. Marte is very talented, right-handed, fills an obvious hole in MLB right away and he'd be under the Indians' control during the optimized years of a players career (26-29 years old). His problem is that he's never really drawn walks at all but for a guy that hits for as many extra base hits as he does, his K totals appear to be acceptable. May be prone to good MLB offspeed stuff, but most young hitters are. I've seen him when he was in AAA and he's got excellent bat speed. He's a nice player. Its not too often teams are willing to trade MLB ready prospects, and there's no guarantee the Pirates are, but I'd consider Marte an acceptable return for Choo and I'm not so sure the Giants/Reds/Phillies have the MLB ready prospects the Indians would want.

Trading Choo/Masterson/Perez for guys in A-ball is not what this team should be doing. I'm all for selling these guys, but if that is all the Indians can get for those guys, the Indians are better off keeping them and crossing their fingers that they have some luck in 2013.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm

The Yankees are supposedly interested in Jose Lopez as a 3B fill-in.
I wonder if we could sweeten the deal with pitching depth to get Dante Bichette Jr. out of there. He would not be ready for 2013 at all. But would be a good add for the system.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby nubballguy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 pm

ANYTHING you can get for Jose Lopez is a good get IMO. Also opens up an opportunity for Goedart to get some ABs and show what he can do at the ML level.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Agreed if the Tribe can get anything for Lopez they should.

I expect to see the Tribe make a cpl moves tomorrow, but believe anything big will go down this offseason.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Agreed if the Tribe can get anything for Lopez they should.

I expect to see the Tribe make a cpl moves tomorrow, but believe anything big will go down this offseason.

Remember, we got what is now our best SP from the Yanks for Austin Kerns. So you never know.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 pm

After the garbage that the indians got back in the cliff lee trade and how the indians have michael brantley and masterson to show for the victor and CC trades, does anybody expect the indians do get the right return?. The only times they hit on trades is when they give up an average player and get a prospect from a team that is desperate to try and compete. .

I think if you can get some elite starting pitching back for masterson, you do the deal. It wouldn't be a good PR move, but who cares. You are last in attendance.

Get the original blueprint for success right by trading for elite prospects and actually start drafting and hitting on prospects.

The problem back in 2006 and 2008 were that the FO didn't draft players to be the next wave of superstars.. They hit it right with grady, hafner,and victor and they had really good years in 2004-2007. The problem is there was no next wave to keep them competitive.

The indians FO of 2002 should realize that they are in a similar position of a team with a low ceiling and no impact players in the higher levels of the farm system.

Trade choo, masterson, and perez for the right players.(and only if you are getting elite prospects) not the garbage we got from the phillies.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 pm

That would be nice to get that kind of return from the Yanks again. The Tribe does have a history of snagging some good talent in 1 for 1 deals.

Choo.
Cabrera.
McAllister.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Reed Johnson to ATL.
Giovanni Soto to TEX.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Also hearing that Josh Johnson and James Shields are both likely to stay with their current teams.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:36 am

Travis Snider was dealt to the Pirates. Choo isnt going anywhere.

Have a feeling CA will be playing Xbox live most of tomorrow.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:16 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:The Yankees are supposedly interested in Jose Lopez as a 3B fill-in.
I wonder if we could sweeten the deal with pitching depth to get Dante Bichette Jr. out of there. He would not be ready for 2013 at all. But would be a good add for the system.

Bichette Jr is having a so-so year in the Yankees minor league system, but, his status as a high draft pick will play against him if the Indians & NYY's actually are having trade discussions.. Bichette Jr would be a fine return for Jose Lopez, however, it will probably be someone like Muss-tell-yeah !! that the NYY's would offer...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:29 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:That would be nice to get that kind of return from the Yanks again. The Tribe does have a history of snagging some good talent in 1 for 1 deals.

Choo.
Cabrera.
McAllister.

Truth be told that as bad as Mirabelli's drafts were. He sure did do well in scouting the minor leaguers that were acquired and eventually made it to the Show in Cleveland. Not really trying to defend Mirabelli but trying to paint a picture of the guy's actual worth to the organization. He gets bashed (and rightfully so) for the drafts that he oversaw but people tend to ignore what his scouting staff has brought to the table.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 am

indians1 wrote:After the garbage..... Trade choo, masterson, and perez for the right players.(and only if you are getting elite prospects) not the garbage we got from the phillies.

There was a report (MLB Daily Dish, Blaine Blontz) that said the Phillies would be "interested" in acquiring either or both Choo and Masterson provided they are able to acquire prospects that would be enticing for the third party for players like Cliff Lee, Joe Blanton and Shane Victorino.. i.e.. trading veterans for prospects that are flipped:

...While the Phillies have mostly gutted their farm system over recent years to acquire players such as Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt and Hunter Pence, Rosenthal and Morosi believe the Phillies could flip prospects acquired in another deadline deal to Cleveland or San Diego in exchange for Choo or Headley...

If the Padres are excluded from this, the 'matchup' that comes to mind could/would include a Cliff Lee to Texas deal.. or a Shane Victorino to Cincinnati deal and or a Joe Blanton to Baltimore deal.

Looking at each of the clubs listed:

The Rangers Prospects: Five guys not named Martin Perez or Jurickson Profar come to mind: Mike Olt, Engel Beltre, Justin Grimm, Joey Gallo (as a PTBNL), and Barret Loux.
The Rangers Needs: A M.O.R. to F.O.R. SP, catching (both back up and starting) and a back of the pen arm.
-The Indians and Rangers are well suited for a direct trade.. or perhaps, a trade that goes through the phillies.

The Reds Prospects: Billy Hamilton as a table setter and not much else..
The Reds Needs: Lead off hitter, preferably an OF'er.
-The Indians match up well with the Reds' needs.. but the Reds' minors are pretty barren w/ little chance of a trade..

The Orioles Prospects: The Orioles have two blue chip prospects and a lot of middling guys behind them. Bundy (the younger one) and Machado will not be in a trade for Joe Blanton.. not going to happen.
Orioles Needs: SP depth.
-The Indians match up with the Orioles needs, but aren't in the same area code as far as available prospects in return.

So, it looks like it's going to be a long day with a building phone bill for CA and the Indians.. At the end of the day, there doesn't seem to be a simple deal, other than directly with the Rangers, that might get done...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:37 am

I think we will see a few deals by the Tribe this after noon.

Maybe Hannahan, Lopez, Kotchman, and possibly Choo. If the Tribe is serious on Masterson I'd guess that happens this offseason. Same with Chris Perez, and I doubt the Tribe moves Lowe or Hafner although I think we could see Lowe get DFA soon.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:29 am

Dom Brown scratched from AAA lineup by the Phillies FWIW.

Doubtful it has anything to do with the Tribe.

EDIT: Probably just to replace Victorino on Phillies roster who's looking more and more likely to be wearing Dodger blue.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think we will see a few deals by the Tribe this after noon.

Maybe Hannahan, Lopez, Kotchman, and possibly Choo. If the Tribe is serious on Masterson I'd guess that happens this offseason. Same with Chris Perez, and I doubt the Tribe moves Lowe or Hafner although I think we could see Lowe get DFA soon.

Kotchman has no value at all. Any team that sees Kotchman as an upgrade for them at 1B isn't going anywhere and no team has room for a backup first baseman (strictly 1B) no matter how good he is defensively. He's going to have to bounce around from year to year finding teams without a first baseman.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:00 pm

All these "rumors" and the Indians will do nothing.

All these fans who did the whole "DA DOLANZ IS CHEEEEP" chants will be proven right. The "we'll spend when the time is right" etc talks from anyone related to the Indians will mean nil.

As for Chris Antonetti/Mark Shapiro/Paul&Larry Dolan: You had your chances in the offseason, you did nothing. You have the chances to make moves internally, no matter how minimal the impact supposedly would be due to some smuck and his "2 star" prospect labels, and you did nothing. You are saying "we're in the mix" and you still do nothing.

The fans see this, or maybe they dont considering the attendance and TV & radio ratings. The players are suffering through this, no matter what Chris Perez says. They see the FO doing nothing, one way or another.

I'm sorry, but if Chris Antonetti goes on TV today and says "We feel we still have a team worthy of challenging for the division" I will have lost the rest of the little faith I have left in the Indians current FO. They're tools, and we're just marks to them.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:29 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Looking at each of the clubs listed:

The Rangers Prospects: Five guys not named Martin Perez or Jurickson Profar come to mind: Mike Olt, Engel Beltre, Justin Grimm, Joey Gallo (as a PTBNL), and Barret Loux.
The Rangers Needs: A M.O.R. to F.O.R. SP, catching (both back up and starting) and a back of the pen arm.
-The Indians and Rangers are well suited for a direct trade.. or perhaps, a trade that goes through the phillies.

Unless the rule changed in the new CBA (and maybe it did, so many others did), Gallo can not be traded, even as a PTBNL this summer. PTBNL must be dealt with 6 months of when the trade happens. You can't/couldn't be traded til 1 year after you are drafted/signed. So unless the rules have changed, Gallo can't be dealt until December/January (can't remember what day he actually signed), even as a PTBNL.

Texas does still have a lot of interesting prospects though, no doubt about that. Texas did give up a ton for Mike Adams last year. I'd see what a guy like Joe Smith could get (obviously not Adams-return but could be decent).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:03 pm

This is gonna piss off a few around here...Per Kenny Rosenthal on The Twitter

Source: #Marlins close to sending Gaby Sanchez to #Pirates for OF Gorkys Hernandez and a competitive-balance pick.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:04 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:This is gonna piss off a few around here...Per Kenny Rosenthal on The Twitter

Source: #Marlins close to sending Gaby Sanchez to #Pirates for OF Gorkys Hernandez and a competitive-balance pick.

Sigh... :evil
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:This is gonna piss off a few around here...Per Kenny Rosenthal on The Twitter

Guess the Indians didn't wanna give up on Zeke yet...lmao. What a joke of a trade deadline. This team is going nowhere fast and......nothing!
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:09 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Guess the Indians didn't wanna give up on Zeke yet...lmao. What a joke of a trade deadline. This team is going nowhere fast and......nothing!

My guess is Gabby does fit into what the Indians want in a 1B (which from my observation is a guy that hits 14 hop ground balls to 1b and occasionally beats them out for infield hits).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 pm

I have a feeling this team will make zero moves...
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Looks like the Tigers are making a final push to pick up a bat...someone name Alfonso Soriano, seems like an August move more likely.

I'm just stunned. Nothing. Brent Lillibridge.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Well it appears Carlos Lee is still available for all of you who have wanted him since last year. Truly though - sit and spin fans.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Angels get Greinke
Rangers get Dempster
Tigers get Sanchez
White Sox get Youkillis and Liriano

Tribe do nothing...... rebuild or go for it.... standing pat gets you fuckin' nowhere!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby timdav » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:08 pm

No big moves for the Tribe? For the most part, this is the way it's been since John Hart left. (Well, most of their biggest moves have blown up in their faces, sadly).

And, it's not likely to change til ownership changes policy and decides to put much better money into hiring the very best scouts and development people.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:10 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Angels get Greinke
Rangers get Dempster
Tigers get Sanchez

Tribe do nothing...... rebuild or go for it.... standing pat gets you fuckin' nowhere!

LILLIBRIDGE! Giggity.

They cannot continue this way. They have to make a choice here. If you don't even move Matt LaPorta for some low level player, then get him the hell up here and play him, and I'm not a fan of LaPorta at all.

Don't you have to get Jarrod Goedert and/or Tim Fedroff up here? Move on from Johnny Damon and/or Shelley Duncan? Move up Nick Weglarz/Thomas Neal? Etc.

We need to find out if Corey Kluber can start in the bigs, give him a few starts. Can he hurt you worse than Josh Tomlin or Derek Lowe?
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:11 pm

We don't make a single move, as I predicted. I don't blame them for not selling... but to not make a single move? Man...
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:15 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:Angels get Greinke
Rangers get Dempster
Tigers get Sanchez

LILLIBRIDGE! Giggity.

They cannot continue this way. They have to make a choice here. If you don't even move Matt LaPorta for some low level player, then get him the hell up here and play him, and I'm not a fan of LaPorta at all.

Don't you have to get Jarrod Goedert and/or Tim Fedroff up here? Move on from Johnny Damon and/or Shelley Duncan? Move up Nick Weglarz/Thomas Neal? Etc.

We need to find out if Corey Kluber can start in the bigs, give him a few starts. Can he hurt you worse than Josh Tomlin or Derek Lowe?

I know you were being a little facetious on Lillibridge.... but, I don't see him as a deadline deal - other than the timing was fairly close to it.

It was a baseball move.... swap your 25th man for the same hitter who has more defensive flexibility.... not a "help this team win" move.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Ooooh.... Looks like we've acquired Lars Anderson from the Red Sox... pretty meaningless move.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Ooooh.... Looks like we've acquired Lars Anderson from the Red Sox... pretty meaningless move.

haha, 2 years ago it would have been big news, but now it's quite anticlimactic! I admit it kind of sucks when you hear all of these big trade rumors thrown around all week but...

This is exactly the Indians bread-and-butter kind of move -- acquire a prospect on the cheap and turn him into Shin Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera and Zach McAllister. Anderson was rated a top 100 prospect by BA for 3 years (#40 in 2008, #17 in 2009 and #87 in 2010). Reminiscent of the Shin Soo Choo acquisition, ironically.

It speaks to how much this system sucks in the upper minors, but Anderson is arguably a top 10 prsopect for the Indians. Probably the leading candidiate for 1B next year in Cleveland (sadly).
Last edited by OhioBaseball on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Steven Wright traded for Anderson.

Wright had the potential more as a good story than a good pitcher...... Anderson? Meh.... once over-hyped Red Sox prospect with middling power for a corner position.

Middling power pretty much describes all our corner players - and he's a lefty!

Right now, he's the favourite for opening day duty at 1B next year.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Not that it really matters (I mean it kinda does) but where is he going? Cleveland or Columbus?

EDIT: Nevermind, he's going to C-bus.

LaPorta up? Or we making a run for the 3A crown?
Last edited by GoTribe028 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:44 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Not that it really matters (I mean it kinda does) but where is he going? Cleveland or Columbus?

Official Twitter feed has him reporting to AAA Columbus.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:49 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Steven Wright traded for Anderson.

Wright had the potential more as a good story than a good pitcher...... Anderson? Meh.... once over-hyped Red Sox prospect with middling power for a corner position.

I much rather have Wright then Anderson at this point.... Another LH hitter...... Are Antonetti and Shaprio southpaws?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:Steven Wright traded for Anderson.

I much rather have Wright then Anderson at this point.... Another LH hitter...... Are Antonetti and Shaprio southpaws?

To be fair, Kotchman, Hafner, and Damon will all be gone next year...so I dunno. Whatever, I like Lars Anderson, still has power and a good eye. Just wanted the Indians to do something other than nothing.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 pm

A.Zajac wrote:We don't make a single move, as I predicted. I don't blame them for not selling... but to not make a single move? Man...

There's still August.

If they weren't going to sell, not sure there was much to buy out there. Guy like Pence would have been nice but very expensive salary doesn't really fit (not with this crap fan support). Victorino would have been a decent platoon with Damon but not much more. Headley didn't move. Shields didn't move. Ho hum deadline all around really.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:15 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:I much rather have Wright then Anderson at this point.... Another LH hitter...... Are Antonetti and Shaprio southpaws?

To be fair, Kotchman, Hafner, and Damon will all be gone next year...so I dunno. Whatever, I like Lars Anderson, still has power and a good eye. Just wanted the Indians to do something other than nothing.

May be wrong too but isn't Wright a minor league free agent after this season? Thought he had 6 seasons in so he could have walked after the season if not added to the 40-man (didn't seem likely) anyways. At least you got something for him, though I am a bit sad to see him go. Always fan watching a knuckleballer pitch when your team isn't the one facing him.

Anderson...meh. Not sure he's a better ML bat than Kotchman right now, but he does still have youth on his side. Maybe a change of scenery can wake him up. Kinda scary to think that LaPorta and Lars could be the favorites for the DH and 1B spots for 2013 as things stand. Lars even though a lefty has been ok against them this year too (not sure on his career minor league splits?).
Last edited by Hermie13 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:I much rather have Wright then Anderson at this point.... Another LH hitter...... Are Antonetti and Shaprio southpaws?

May be wrong too but isn't Steven Wright a minor league free agent after this season? Thought he had 6 seasons in so he could have walked after the season if not added to the 40-man (didn't seem likely) anyways. At least you got something for him, though I am a bit sad to see him go. Always fan watching a knuckleballer pitch when your team isn't the one facing him.

I think so, but now that I think of it, did the Indians have an open 40 man spot? I thought it was full and I'm certain Anderson will have to be added as he was on the Red Sox. Probably someone like Herrmann...Rottino more likely, although I wonder if the Indians would consider him for the bench later.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Next

Return to Beyond The Minors