RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

World Series Comments

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

World Series Comments

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Well that was fast. To be honest, I missed most of it. The Indians season was so dreadful, I seemed to have lost my appetite for watching baseball. Still I was surprised to see the Tigers swept.

This leads to the classic question: Good Pitching, or Bad Hitting?

My vote goes to bad hitting.The Tigers were sitting around for about a week before the WS started. That may have contributed to a lack of timing. The Giants were involved in do or die games.

The Giants pitching staff had a WS WHIP of only 0.865, but actually issued more BB than the Tigers did.

If there are goat horns, I put them on Prince Fielder. He was a hole in the middle of the lineup with 1 single in 4 games.

If there is a silver lining for Indians fans, it's that we won the season series from the AL Champs. Even with our miserable pitching.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: World Series Comments

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Im curious to see if this makes the Tigers go harder for the WS next yr. Maybe they bring in Josh Hamilton too.

The rumors about the possibilities of letting Leyland go are stupid IMO. I know they under preformed according to expectations but they also played their way to the WS and swept the Yanx to get there. Overall, the motor city kitties had a great season.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Tigers extended Leyland thru 2013. Most Tigers fans I know are pretty upset over it but yeah when you get to the World Series hard to let the guy go. Team did vastly underperform most of the year but were able to get hot at the right time. Reminded me a bit of the Rockies in 2007 (though obviously not "that" hot).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby daingean » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Tigers extended Leyland thru 2013. Most Tigers fans I know are pretty upset over it but yeah when you get to the World Series hard to let the guy go. Team did vastly underperform most of the year but were able to get hot at the right time. Reminded me a bit of the Rockies in 2007 (though obviously not "that" hot).

Getting to the WS is a worthy accomplishment. Leyland deserves it but many of my Tiggers friends also do not think much of Leyland's management style.

Not to take anything away from the Tiggers but I would say that the Girardi hit the panic button in the ALCS. Sitting Granderson (and to lesser extent A-Rod) was a panic reaction. When you get there, you ride who got you there.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:26 pm

daingean wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Tigers extended Leyland thru 2013. Most Tigers fans I know are pretty upset over it but yeah when you get to the World Series hard to let the guy go. Team did vastly underperform most of the year but were able to get hot at the right time. Reminded me a bit of the Rockies in 2007 (though obviously not "that" hot).

Getting to the WS is a worthy accomplishment. Leyland deserves it but many of my Tiggers friends also do not think much of Leyland's management style.

Not to take anything away from the Tiggers but I would say that the Girardi hit the panic button in the ALCS. Sitting Granderson (and to lesser extent A-Rod) was a panic reaction. When you get there, you ride who got you there.

Agree completely on Girardi. Seemed like once Jeter went down the whole team panicked and agree, Girardi went overboard with some of his benchings. Agree could understand the A-Rod thing some but sitting down Granderson was surprising.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors