RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

What is Wrong With Asdrubal?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

What is Wrong With Asdrubal?

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Me thinks we may need a short stop. If Kipnis is 2b - could we trade the human error machine?

This year is like the twilight zone for Asdrubal.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: What is Wrong With Asdrubal?

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Me thinks we may need a short stop. If Kipnis is 2b - could we trade the human error machine?

This year is like the twilight zone for Asdrubal.

Bob

Asdrubal has never been a good defensive SS. Some fans just failed to realize this til this year. Been no worse this year than last.

Tribe doesn't need to be looking for a SS though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:58 pm

ACab errors in 2010 = 12. Errors in 2011 = 15. Errors in 2012 already = 10 + 2 = 12 already.

Throw in the games this year with melt down innings - he is not concentrating.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

According to most advanced fielding stats, Asdrubal has been better this year. Certainly no worse.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 am

He's had three bad throws in the last two games, including the one Tuesday where Kotchman flagged it down and made the tag on Cabrera.

It looks like he's slinging his throws sidearm and releasing the ball early. Maybe his arm is bothering him and he tweaked his throwing motion, or maybe he just needs to focus on his throwing in infield practice and tighten it up.

The main thing is he needs to hit. This team is really struggling to score runs right now.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:16 pm

JP_Frost wrote:According to most advanced fielding stats, Asdrubal has been better this year. Certainly no worse.

Exactly. Hasn't made the "web gem" type plays this year like he did last year but actually think he's shown a bit more range this year and been mostly impressed with him there (still no gold glover but has been solid).

Personally more worried about his bat (though "worried" is a tad strong)...

Thru June 15th he was hitting .296 with a .385 OBP and .841 OPS to go along with 5 HRs in 54 games (213 at-bats). Had 27 walks to 27 K's!

Since then he's hit .257 with a .295 OBP, .738 OPS and 7 HRs in 34 games (140 at-bats). Only walked 8 times to 33 K's.

He homered for the first time in nearly a month on June 16th and from what I've seen seems like he is trying to be a power hitter again. I said it before (think others have too) and stand by it, Asdrubal is at his best when he's not hitting HRs. Not saying it's bad when he goes deep, but he was the best hitting SS in baseball thru mid-June and the best hitter on this team. He needs to get back to approching his at-bats like that. If he gets a pitch to drive have at it but feel like he's trying too hard to hit the ball 400 feet now. Was still on pace for about 15 HRs thru mid-June....he doesn't need to be a 25 HR guy, 15 HRs and a .380 OBP is much better for him IMO than 25 HRs and an OBP near .300...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:31 am

Totally agree, Herm. His HR rate has more than doubled while his OBP has dropped almost 100 points and his K/BB ratio has gone all to hell. Seems like he's swinging for the fences. He started hitting more home runs and possibly fell in love with it.

That line drive single off Verlander with two on and two out is a good sign. That was a huge at-bat in giving the Indians an insurance run to take a little pressure off Vinnie and Perez.

I've noticed Cabrera has been swinging at the first pitch in almost every at-bat unless it's way outside the zone. You rarely see him take a called strike anytime in the count. He's not selective at all which could explain the drop in BA. He needs to be patient, swing at better pitches, try to hit line drives and the HR's will come.

After his breakout season of 24 HR's last year I'm wondering if he feels like he needs to do that again this year, and with only 5 HR's at the 54-game mark he might be trying too hard to catch up.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chiefroy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:13 pm

No concerned about his bat, but I do wonder why he's stopped stealing bases. He was a competent 17 for 22 last year; 2 for 5 this year.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Back to boot city for ACab tonight. Kiss this one goodbye.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors