RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Lowe DFA'd

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Lowe DFA'd

Postby Chiefroy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:16 am

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/a ... e&c_id=cle

time to call it a career, derek. hopefully, damon's next.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Re: Lowe DFA'd

Postby daingean » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:54 am

After starting 6-1, the wheels came off for Derek. Worth every penny they paid him through the first week of June, worthless since.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 am

How much longer for Damon? Not worth a dime of what we paid him.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 am

We still need another starter for Sunday then as Manny has said Tomlin is staying in the bullpen.

It's actually Gomez's regular day to pitch today in Columbus, so if he doesn't start that answers that mystery!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:53 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:We still need another starter for Sunday then as Manny has said Tomlin is staying in the bullpen.

It's actually Gomez's regular day to pitch today in Columbus, so if he doesn't start that answers that mystery!

Or if he goes 3 innings and gets pulled. 2 days rest on 3 innings.....that should keep him sharp.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:57 am

The timing of this DFA is about four starts too late.. but, it's done.. The Atlanta Braves seldom send away a pitcher that has utility.. Derek Lowe adds to that list.. A sad end to a long baseball career...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:How much longer for Damon? Not worth a dime of what we paid him.

Disagree here. Damon is only making $1.25M I believe (plus some incentives). He's been worth that IMO. The first 4 weeks were terrible for him (should have gone to AA or AAA and played more), but since then actually hasn't been that bad.

From May 30th thru the end of July he nearly outhit Asdrubal, as Damon hit: .274/.318/.403/.721
Asdrubal hit only .264/.310/.412/.722 in that same span.

Not thrilled with Damon's numbers from LF but still say cutting him is the wrong move right now. Definitely look to move him and I guess worst case if you absolutely can't then move on but the guy nearly outhit Asdrubal for 2 months...saying he wasn't worth what we paid him (almost nothing) is a bit strong IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:How much longer for Damon? Not worth a dime of what we paid him.

Disagree here. Damon is only making $1.25M I believe (plus some incentives). He's been worth that IMO. The first 4 weeks were terrible for him (should have gone to AA or AAA and played more), but since then actually hasn't been that bad.

From May 30th thru the end of July he nearly outhit Asdrubal, as Damon hit: .274/.318/.403/.721
Asdrubal hit only .264/.310/.412/.722 in that same span.

Not thrilled with Damon's numbers from LF but still say cutting him is the wrong move right now. Definitely look to move him and I guess worst case if you absolutely can't then move on but the guy nearly outhit Asdrubal for 2 months...saying he wasn't worth what we paid him (almost nothing) is a bit strong IMO.

Hermie, i'm not going to argue who might do better. The fact is until someone else is playing regularly in LF, we really will not know one way or another.

This season is now toast (unless the Tribe wins 32 of next 40) so the tribe should start trying to assess what it has or confirm what it lacks for next season.

Will say this, I'm not only happy that Vinney R is playing tonight, but playing in LF instead of Duncan. At least we get to judge with our own eyes.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors