RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Keith Law

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Keith Law

Postby jellis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:10 pm

I tend to enjoy his chats so I will keep clipping selected parts for posts here, mostly about the Indians are people we argue about on site

Luis Castillo (Flushing, NY): Take me. Please.

Keith Law: Dude, I couldn't lift you if I had five more pallbearers along side me.

Alexei Ramirez: What's Ball 4?

Keith Law: Don't worry, you'll never encounter one.

Jeremy (NY): Keith, are Gutierrez and Chavez the two best defensive outfielders in baseball?

Keith Law: No, but they're both very good. Dave Cameron and I were talking this morning - he thinks I'm underselling Gutierrez, who is a plus centerfielder and whose bat plays there. I'm still concerned about the platoon issue and the horrid plate discipline, but Dave is right that a .320 OBP/.410 SLG guy who's a ++ glove in center is a very useful, if not good, player.

Pat (Boston, MA): How far have Chuck Lofgren and Alan Horne fallen to not even get selected in the Rule-5 draft?

Keith Law: Very far. Although I was never that high on Horne to begin with.

Joe (Akron): Craps, Blackjack, or Pai Gow? Also - are the Indians going to sign a big bat? Who would replace Franklin G.?

Keith Law: Craps has the highest EV if you bet right. Have not heard Cleveland in on any "big bats."

Daniel (Louisville, KY): Thoughts on Cleveland getting Wood for 2Y/20MM?

Keith Law: Borderline steal. Risky, but worth the risk because of the upside in Wood's arm.

Buff (Austin TX): More arrogant: you or Top Chef's Stefan? Should the Indians option Joe Smith and put Eddie Moo on a six-week trial before cutting bait, or have we seen the Last of the Mujica?

Keith Law: I bow to no man in that department. I'd like to see Mujica have one more shot.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: Keith Law

Postby npc29 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:17 pm

I love the people who submit questions as people in baseball.. That's great
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm

matt (cleveland): Hector Rondon, Carlos Rivero, Wes Hodges, and Garko for Lance Berkman and Wandy Rodriguez? Same package for Zimmerman? Or...the same package for Tulowitski? How far away from ML is Luis Valbuena? Thank you Keith.

SportsNation Keith Law: Not enough. Not enough. Not enough. Valbuena could play in the majors this year.

luke (cleveland): Shin Soo Choo....600 AB's... .279/.369/.500?

SportsNation Keith Law: I don't think he plays every day, but he could hit like that against RHP in 450+ AB.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby carnegie44115 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:33 pm

jellis wrote:matt (cleveland): Hector Rondon, Carlos Rivero, Wes Hodges, and Garko for Lance Berkman and Wandy Rodriguez? Same package for Zimmerman? Or...the same package for Tulowitski? How far away from ML is Luis Valbuena? Thank you Keith.

SportsNation Keith Law: Not enough. Not enough. Not enough. Valbuena could play in the majors this year.

luke (cleveland): Shin Soo Choo....600 AB's... .279/.369/.500?

SportsNation Keith Law: I don't think he plays every day, but he could hit like that against RHP in 450+ AB.

I am afraid I would have to agree with Law on that package for Berkman and Wandy, but after next year it may if Rondon and Rivero have good years at Akron.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:48 am

Yeah I agree, Houston would definately want more (though I think Garko is very under-rated). Houston is very strapped for cash right now......wonder if they'd put Oswalt on the market any time soon to try and cut more payroll.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Yeah I agree, Houston would definately want more (though I think Garko is very under-rated). Houston is very strapped for cash right now......wonder if they'd put Oswalt on the market any time soon to try and cut more payroll.....

Well they got to be smart about the moves they make, and yeah the team might need to save money, but Oswalt I am sure is a fan favorite since he is their best pitcher, so you risk losing some money that way by trading a fan favorite.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:43 pm

True....but how many times do owners care about what fans want over money? lol

I don't think Oswalt will be traded (at least not this winter) either..
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby antonchigurh28 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:52 pm

How is Garko underated? A singles hitter with mild to moderate power, borderline defensive skills, and he happens to be the slowest human being on the face of the earth. He looks like he is running in a sand box. It gives me a strange sort of anxiety to watch him run the bases. Seriously, he hit a lot of singles the other way last year, and is good with RISP, but he doesn't hit with enough power to justify a corner position.
antonchigurh28
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:32 pm

please stop overrating garko people. he didnt show up last year till august and if it wasnt for the trade of casey blake he would have barely played in the 2nd half.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby dnosco » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:28 am

cardiackidz wrote:please stop overrating garko people. he didnt show up last year till august and if it wasnt for the trade of casey blake he would have barely played in the 2nd half.

Another way to spin that is to say that Garko had some growing pains last year and, when he adjusted, he showed what a stud he can be in 2009. Hey, I don't know if that is true but it is as plausible, if not more plausible than the opposite.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:11 am

dnosco wrote:
cardiackidz wrote:please stop overrating garko people. he didnt show up last year till august and if it wasnt for the trade of casey blake he would have barely played in the 2nd half.

Another way to spin that is to say that Garko had some growing pains last year and, when he adjusted, he showed what a stud he can be in 2009. Hey, I don't know if that is true but it is as plausible, if not more plausible than the opposite.

Nicely said, Denny. If Garko does not improve, we have Martinez and maybe some Hafner. Three of our top five prospects, all of which are close to ML ready, also play first. I don't think he is overrated or underrated. He is just a player who will have to improve to keep his job, IMO.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jhonny » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:49 am

Dennis calls Garko a stud? What planet am I on?
jhonny
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:56 am

dnosco wrote:

I definitely agree about Garko in 2008. Sometimes he had it and then he go in a funk. The guy still drove in 90 runs, not any of the current 1B on the depth chart can do that unless VMart was the full-time 1B. Also at the same time I think some people are disappointed at his potential power numbers, can he get to 30 HR, maybe, but time will only tell. So here's to hoping not only Garko does become a more consistent hitter, but that he gets his chance to prove it.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:29 pm

anymore Garko has solid power not moderate if you can crack 20 Hrs, you have good power in the current baseball world
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TheWord » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Garko's speed reminds me of a fountain.

Always running, never going anywhere.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:07 am

I didn't realize Garko was playing 3B last year.....

Garko didn't show up til August, you're right.....but how many Indians hit well the first half the year really? Not that many. Garko is underrated by fans. He's a true ML hitter....now does he have the power to be a true 1B in the AL? Remains to be seen. Can put up 20 HRs as seen in 2007. He had a pitiful .400ish SLG this year. Expect that to go up. If he can keep his OBP and BA where it is (not to mention his BA with RISP) then he could be an All-Star one day and put up OPS's around .900.
Last edited by Hermie13 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:41 am

Garko lost some weight before last season. I wonder how much that affected him at the start of 08. Maybe it took until Aug for him to make the adjustment to his new body.

I expect him to have a better season in 09.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:09 pm

Jon (Cleveland, OH): KLAW, how real is Carlos Santana? Where does he project in a major league lineup and will he stay at catcher?

SportsNation Keith Law: I think he's a potential star, at least an above-average player who hits extremely well for a catcher and is adequate defensively.

Jacob (Atlanta): Best team in the AL Central as of now?

SportsNation Keith Law: Cleveland.

Jacob (Atlanta): How do you think Fausto will do this year? Possibly even walking less than five guys per nine?

SportsNation Keith Law: I'd like to think so. Either he gets back towards where he was in 2007, or we find out his elbow ligament is torn into little tiny pieces and he misses the

Tim: What can you tell me about this Stevens kid from the DeRosa deal? Some say he could contribute in 'o9.

SportsNation Keith Law: Good deception, will touch 94 but sit 90-91, would be surprised if he missed bats in the majors like he did in the minors this year.

del (cleveland, oh): klaw whats your opinon on the tribes david huff and is he a future top of the rotation starter?

SportsNation Keith Law: Mid-rotation, not top. Good changeup, good feel, velo has increased since he was drafted.

as per usual my indians cuts from the chat
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:58 pm

we find out his elbow is torn into tiny pieces?

That's not very nice.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby cardiackidz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:30 am

i cant belive it i was the person that asked him the huff question and he answered it. thats the 1st time that ego maniac answered one of my questions. lol
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Return to Beyond The Minors