RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Choo and Scott Boras

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Choo and Scott Boras

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun May 06, 2012 12:38 pm

IMO - since Choo signed with Scott Boras as his agent he has flat out stunk. Throw in the injuries and suddenly Choo has become a very ordinary player. (note - there is an article on the DiaTribe site to this effect as well) I suspect following the 2010 season Choo had visions of financial grandeur. LOL - I wish he simply had a better vision of the pitched ball.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Choo and Scott Boras

Postby TonyIBI » Sun May 06, 2012 10:36 pm

If you ask me, Choo could be dealt this summer. I could see them pawning him off to someone....and then in another deal acquiring an outfielder.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 pm

I would agree to try and deal choo. the guy was injured and bad last year. This year, he isn't much better. I don't know what more you can get for him, but we need to get a RF with some pop.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue May 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Perhaps Boras will drop Choo as not a sufficiently lucrative client.

I seriously think Choo went for the big bucks and cannot relax with the pressure. IMO he should drop Boras, sign a rational 2 year contract and try to rebuild his value.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:25 am

Don't think Choo likes Cleve. He as good as said, in an interview on the MLB Network, that the Jake was a crappy place (for him) to hit. I didn't look at his home/away splits but he had some nice hitting years. Just think how good they would have been if he'd had a park he liked.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 am

I wouldn't trade him while his value is low. He could easily return to being a .300/20/80 guy. It's time to be patient, especially since we have nothing in the system to replace him.

He's hitting 6th in the order now instead of 3rd. He's coming up with runners on base a lot since he's hitting behind Santana and Pronk. He missed six games with an injury and it looks like he hasn't found his rhythm yet.

If he starts pounding the ball his trade value will go up, but at the same time it will make him less tradable because who would we play in RF?
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 09, 2012 11:09 am

Prosecutor wrote:I wouldn't trade him while his value is low. He could easily return to being a .300/20/80 guy. It's time to be patient, especially since we have nothing in the system to replace him.

He's hitting 6th in the order now instead of 3rd. He's coming up with runners on base a lot since he's hitting behind Santana and Pronk. He missed six games with an injury and it looks like he hasn't found his rhythm yet.

If he starts pounding the ball his trade value will go up, but at the same time it will make him less tradable because who would we play in RF?

Choo was really starting to hit the ball with authority and regularity before going down for a week. During that stretch against KC, Seattle and Oakland, April 13 -24th, he hit .390 with 9 RBI's and five doubles... Since coming back, he's been pretty much a non-factor, both at the plate and in the field. His defense in RF is "okay", not great. His arm remains a real weapon for opposing base runners. If Scott Boras believes Choo is deserving of a mega-contract, then good luck.. Have a nice career. The Indians would be wise to look at Choo as 'replaceable' (as in a trade with the Pirates?) if the contract demands go the way of Cuddyer or Beltran. Choo is a good player, he's just not that good..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:if the contract demands go the way of Cuddyer or Beltran. Choo is a good player, he's just not that good..

If Choo's contract demands go the way of Cuddyer or Beltran, the Indians would be estatic. 2 years/$26M (Beltran) would be a lot per year but the length would fit for the Tribe. And even struggling Choo has posted OBPs virutally equal to what Cuddyer has the last 2 years....and WAY better the previous two. Give me Choo over Cuddyer even with the recent struggles.

I actually wonder if we could be looking at a Hafner-like situation where the Indians approach Choo/Boras at the All-Star break and try again to get an extension pounded out. Maybe Choo would be more willing then.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:if the contract demands go the way of Cuddyer or Beltran. Choo is a good player, he's just not that good..

If Choo's contract demands go the way of Cuddyer or Beltran, the Indians would be estatic. 2 years/$26M (Beltran) would be a lot per year but the length would fit for the Tribe. And even struggling Choo has posted OBPs virutally equal to what Cuddyer has the last 2 years....and WAY better the previous two. Give me Choo over Cuddyer even with the recent struggles.

I actually wonder if we could be looking at a Hafner-like situation where the Indians approach Choo/Boras at the All-Star break and try again to get an extension pounded out. Maybe Choo would be more willing then.

Two year extension.. would be great.. $ 13 MM/year.. not so much.. If Choo is hitting .221..doubtful there is any discussion about a contract extension from the Indians side.... If he's back to where he could/should be .280-.290.. Boras won't touch a contract extension with a ten foot pole.. so, the Indians will find themselves between a rock and a hard spot..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:26 pm

We shall see. Tribe has approached guys with extensions multiple times in recent years when a player was struggling. If they believe Choo can rebound his current numbers won't matter at all. Plus, the Tribe doesn't care about batting average hardly at all. OBP reigns king in Cleveland and Choo is still putting up a decent one with a solid walk rate.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Prosecutor » Thu May 10, 2012 8:45 am

I still say the key is that they have nobody to replace him. Aaron Cunningham? Any trade of Choo would have to be accompanied by another trade to acquire a proven right fielder. What's the point of creating a hole just so you have to fill it?

If they're going to trade anybody it would be Hannahan when Chiz proves he's ready by hitting left-handed pitching in Columbus and improving his defense.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors