RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2012 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2012 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 23, 2012 8:46 am

ironmike wrote:Jose Lopez, believe Tony in an article tied the phrase "professional hitter" to Lopez. The pitch he drove into RF last nite late in the game that bounced off of Bosch's wrist was an example of a good hitter taking a pitch on the outside part of the plate and driving it the other way.

It is a pitch Duncan would have swung and missed. Lopez, needs regular at bats to be really effective. Potentially, he has the track record to prove it, he can be a significant RH for us. Manny needs to finds ways to give play him 5 times per week and he'll produce, I'm certain he will.

Not quite a Rico Carty, but Lopez has the potential to be a much needed addition to our line up. Liked the signing this past winter, posted it, and Lopez is doing what is expected of him. Regular AB's are needed for him, that's the formula for him to produce, he's a good player.

While regular at bats will no doubt improve Lopey's timing and keep the edge sharp.. a professional hired gun (read hitter) has to be able to come to the plate after sitting for three days and perform. Only vets can do this.. and Lopey fills this bill, egggggggzzzz-zack-leee !!
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 am

Where is Lopez going to play once Hannahan comes back, which should be any day now? The guy is hitting something like .360 in the last eight games since Hanny got hurt. And that right-handed bat really balances out the lineup.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 am

Prosecutor wrote:Where is Lopez going to play once Hannahan comes back, which should be any day now? The guy is hitting something like .360 in the last eight games since Hanny got hurt. And that right-handed bat really balances out the lineup.

I say 1B.....even against most righties...
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 pm

daingean wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Where is Lopez going to play once Hannahan comes back, which should be any day now? The guy is hitting something like .360 in the last eight games since Hanny got hurt. And that right-handed bat really balances out the lineup.

I say 1B.....even against most righties...

Since April 27th Kotchman has raised his average from .140 to .225, batting .292/.358/.403/.761 in that span with 11 RBIs. Now isn't the time to be sitting Kotchman. I know Lopez has been on fire since he's returned (.345/.424/.586/1.010 with 6 RBIs) but sitting your starting 1B when he's playing well is not likely.

Against some tough lefties I vote for 2B. Kipnis has been in a bit of a funk of late and could probably use a day off every now and then.

Perosonally would just throw Hanny on the DL. Should have been done a couple days ago. The short bench could have cost us late yesterday. Just put Hanny on the DL already, only would miss a couple games (retroactive to like a week ago). Bring back Donald as a bench guy and let Lopez start the rest of the week.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Big game tonight....

The Tigers are sending Mister Fister who has made indian bats look like swiss cheese, especially last season. Zach McAllister goes for the Indians... With the battle of the Justin's tomorrow in the closing matinee, getting the W tonight will cement the series win. The Tigers are starting a lefty CF'er just brought up from the minors in the lead off spot followed by the usual suspects. Manny has decided to go with the same lineup that started last night's game.. I guess if it aint broke.. don't fix it.. Should be a great night for a ball game at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 23, 2012 5:51 pm

When you have excess in one area.. and have need in others.. the writing is on the wall.. no?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Big game tonight....

The Tigers are sending Mister Fister who has made indian bats look like swiss cheese, especially last season. Zach McAllister goes for the Indians... With the battle of the Justin's tomorrow in the closing matinee, getting the W tonight will cement the series win. The Tigers are starting a lefty CF'er just brought up from the minors in the lead off spot followed by the usual suspects. Manny has decided to go with the same lineup that started last night's game.. I guess if it aint broke.. don't fix it.. Should be a great night for a ball game at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario....

Great win! Vinnie in the eight was awesome!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:01 pm

It will be interesting to see what lineup Acta puts out there vs Verlander.
Hafner looks like he needs a day of (hobbled), Hanrahan appears ready to hit (even if he isn't ready to run or play D), Lopez still has a hitting streak going and to keep Santana fresh he probably shouldn't catch the early afternoon affair after the past few nights catching.

I don't like the idea of catching Marson & DHing Santana but it might be the way to go.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Justin Verlander against Lou Marson might be the biggest mismatch in baseball history. OK, maybe second to Walter Johnson against that pitcher that only had one arm. I said maybe.

Anyway, awesome win tonight. McAlister was exceptional. He would have shut out the Tigers through seven innings if not for three consecutive bad defensive plays that led to two runs. Definitely his best start of the year. He's not looking like a minor league pitcher anymore. He matched Fister inning for inning.

Pronk finally found his power stroke and Vinnie was lights out amazing.

The defense was pretty bad with Kipnis in particular screwing up two routine plays and Choo running another bad route that turned an out into a double. Not to mention the bad throw by Droobs that allowed a run to score. But Detroit returned the favor thanks to Fielder's horrible throw and CP slammed the door.

Even Brantley threw out a runner, but it shouldn't count since it was Miggy Cabrera.

OK, Verlander tomorrow. I'm fine with two out of three.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 pm

First things first.. Nice crowd !!.. they were rewarded with a stunning come from behind win.. Tomorrow's matinee should be filled with a lot of kids (school field trips) and older ones playing hoookey from work...

Tonight's game was a good win..Pronk was tremendous.. he can menace a pitcher and just flat out swat.. Having him in the middle of the lineup makes everyone else around him better.. Z-Mac the Magnificent !! Tremendous pitching performance. He has the stuff to be a solid innings eating middle to back of the rotation starting pitcher at this level. No bout a doubt it..

-Choo seemed to take the wrong initial step on just about every ball hit his way tonight.. He needs his eyes checked or something... a Bunt Double?? really?

-Carlos Santana needs the entire day off tomorrow. No catching (day game after a night game) and no DH'ing..

-PRONK will be back in the DH spot. The limp was from a pitch he fouled off his right calf.. For anyone who's never fouled a ball off their foot or calf.. it just flat out hurts...

-Kipnis seems to be locked in at the plate again.. He's gaining so much confidence, it's almost scary..

-Shelly Duncan got on base tonight !.. as a pinch runner..His spot on the roster is looking more and more tenuous..

-Vinnie Pestano with strike three, on the corner, at the knees, finishing off the Tigers last threat.. AMAZING.. Bases loaded and no one out.. and he escapes..

-Chris Perez with another outRAGEous close, # 15 in a row !!

The battle of the Justins.. When the rest of your 'mates' are pitching/playing so well. it almost becomes contagious. Here's hoping the Beast that IS JUSTIN VERLANDER doesn't settle in during the first inning or two, while the Indians hang a couple of crooked numbers on the score board.. A SWEEEEEEEEEEEET SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP could be the result !!
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ironmike » Thu May 24, 2012 7:15 am

Winning in the division, great wins. Time to keep adding to the pile of talent. During all of this, Manny Acta's needs to be recognized for his talents too.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 24, 2012 10:47 am

The lineups for today's game have been posted.. Johnny Damon and Pronk get the day off (against a RH'er??). Carlos Santana takes over the DH duties while Lou starts behind the plate. After what Shelly Duncan did to Justin Verlander last year.. it's no surprise Manny has him in the starting lineup today.. Go get him Shelly....

Jim Leyland's changes include inserting light hitting RH'er Danny Worth into the lineup at 2B, replacing Ramon Santiago and starting Alex Avila in place of Gerald Laird...

The Indians can't let Miguel Cabrera beat them today.. It's going to be warm with the wind blowing out to RF at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario.. The Tigers are going to be LOADED FOR BEAR to avoid the sweeep...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:03 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:The lineups for today's game have been posted.. Johnny Damon and Pronk get the day off (against a RH'er??). Carlos Santana takes over the DH duties while Lou starts behind the plate. After what Shelly Duncan did to Justin Verlander last year.. it's no surprise Manny has him in the starting lineup today.. Go get him Shelly....

Jim Leyland's changes include inserting light hitting RH'er Danny Worth into the lineup at 2B, replacing Ramon Santiago and starting Alex Avila in place of Gerald Laird...

The Indians can't let Miguel Cabrera beat them today.. It's going to be warm with the wind blowing out to RF at the corner of Carnegie and Ontario.. The Tigers are going to be LOADED FOR BEAR to avoid the sweeep...

Travis Hafner is out due to an injury to his shin. Looked like he was in pain on his HR and when he was running earlier. Guess it was pretty swollen today (according to Hafner himself) and wasn't moving around well.

Still no Hanny either...so now the Tribe's bench is down to 2 players....I don't care how "close" Hannahan thinks he is, we can't keep having a short bench. He needs to play or go on the DL.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby daingean » Thu May 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Travis Hafner is out due to an injury to his shin. Looked like he was in pain on his HR and when he was running earlier. Guess it was pretty swollen today (according to Hafner himself) and wasn't moving around well.

Still no Hanny either...so now the Tribe's bench is down to 2 players....I don't care how "close" Hannahan thinks he is, we can't keep having a short bench. He needs to play or go on the DL.

This definitely is less of an issue being in the AL but the way this 25 man roster is set up, you need all the depth you can get....
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:30 pm

daingean wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

This definitely is less of an issue being in the AL but the way this 25 man roster is set up, you need all the depth you can get....

Agree it's not as big an issue in the AL, though we've seen the short bench potentially cost us a run already. Kotchman thrown out at the plate...had we had a guy like Donald on the bench he's likely in there, maybe he still doesn't score but could have been big. Last night we pinch run Hafner with....Duncan, eek.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Someone better tell Kipnis he needs to start going feet first into home plate. This sliding head first into the catcher is gonna get him hurt. That's twice this week he's done it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Beautiful display of pitching by the masterful one.. Nice to see Manny keep him in the game through the 7th inning. Six more outs to get..

-Shelly Duncan gets a Justin Verlander hanging curve ball, just below the waist on the inside half of the plate.. and he fouls it into the catchers mask.. then next pitch.. he rolls over on a high & outside fastball that he turns into the 6-3 put out.. Shelly HAS to take that pitch into right field.. he can't pull it.. smh...

Beautifully pitched game.. kudos to Justin Masterson and Justin Verlander.. they were both uber-impressive.. Hats off to the Indians pen for hanging in there.. CP with the third consecutive save in this series.. Perez is loose cannon, but he can pitch..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 pm

At the outset of the season, I said that the Indians had improved at just about every position compared to last season. I think that's defensible so far, with one caveat. I figured that whatever we got out of Duncan/Cunningham/Spillbourghs/Sizemore/etc would be better than what we got out of a roughly similar group last year that also included Austin Kearns and Zeke Carrerra. On this prediction, I have been horribly wrong. A few games ago Shelley Duncan pinch-hit for Johnny Damon. I think this is pretty much proof positive that Damon is done as a professional ballplayer. I've been a fan of Shelley Duncan over the last year or so, but even I've been coming around to getting rid of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see that position be a revolving door this year with LaPorta, Sizemore and maybe even Goedert getting a turn.

Today's game had me amped, though. Jose Lopez might be the next big find for us. Masterson, Vinnie and Pure Rage all were on their games.

And Lou Marson got robbed of a hit by Miguel Cabrera. I thought to myself - great idea! Hit it to the left side of that Tigers defense! But give Cabrera some credit, he got to a tough ball in the hole to rob Lou, denying him a multi-hit game.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Awesome series. I expected Lowe to beat Porcello, but figured there's no way McAlister beats Fister or anybody beats Verlander. I was wrong two out of three, but loving it. What did the Tigers score - six runs this series? And two were the result of bad defense. The pitching was fantastic. It's all coming together, except for left field. And even there Damon is at least hitting some warning track flies and loud fouls. Still, if he's not hitting in two weeks I'd like to see Goedert get a shot. He's on fire right now while LaPorta has cooled off somewhat.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby ironmike » Fri May 25, 2012 3:14 am

Time to add a MLB experienced impact player to the pile. Goedert is not going to be the answer. He hasn't seen MLB breaking pitches yet.

Sizemore is a question mark, but may help. Hafner is bruised, can he make it through the season? If you wanna win the division and compete in the playoffs, add proven talent. Hoping the Indians strike early.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 25, 2012 9:14 am

Ahh.. those Pale Hose will be amped facing our Wahoos on the Southside tonight.. The CWSox & Indians have battled to a near draw in the nine games played thus far this season.. Both the CWSox and Indians have had their way with each other on their opponents home field.

The CWSox had to alter their SP rotation when John Doinks was placed on the 15 day DL. The CWSox shamelessly called up Jose Quintana, a left handed soft tosser from their minors to face the heavily left handed lineup the Indians have.. The Indians counter with JeanMar Gomez.

The CWSox's middle of the order is their power base. It includes the return of Paulie Konerko Big Adam Dunn and A. J. PAIN-IN-OUR-ASS-ZYNSKI. Shutting down the CWSox offense starts and ends with controlling the heart of their order. The Indians may not have PRONK in the lineup tonight.. The foul ball off his calf kept him out of the finale against the Tigers and Justin Verlander (not having to face Verlander was a side benefit) and he was seen 'limping" around before the game. PRONK has never been a fast healer & having an extra day off may be in the best interest of the club, long term. It's essential that Hannahan is able to play. Manny will probably give PRONK the day off, insert Lopey into the DH slot and start Hanny at 3B..

Should be a good series weather wise.. The winds that blow in Chicago will be the 'usual' summer wind across the field from RF fair pole to LF fair pole making it tough for LH hitters to bang it out (except right down the line) and help RH hitters. The temperatures will start off very nice and climb to the mid 90's by Sunday's game.. Scorching temperatures and Indian bats could make for a nice weekend !!.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:36 pm

That was one of the ugliest 7 innings of 1 run ball I've seen from a pitcher. Give Masterson credit for battling but far too many walks and was hit hard all game. Great job to bear down and get Miggy and Prince to close out the 7th though. Crazy that we're in first place and we've only seen the best of Masterson once this year (opening day).

Damon does look like he could be coming out of it. Hits aren't falling but in the last 7 games (since being moved to the 7-spot) he's walked 7 times and only struck out twice in 27 plate appearances. Batting a horrific .150 but some of these balls will start going for hits. Definitely doesn't look like the answer either way in LF, but should be able to pick it up some here (similar to Kotchman) and at least be somewhat productive from the bottom of the lineup. Definitely an area to look to upgrade around end of July though (if Grady can't make it back).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:40 pm

ironmike wrote:Time to add a MLB experienced impact player to the pile. Goedert is not going to be the answer. He hasn't seen MLB breaking pitches yet.

Sizemore is a question mark, but may help. Hafner is bruised, can he make it through the season? If you wanna win the division and compete in the playoffs, add proven talent. Hoping the Indians strike early.

Could have said the same things about Asdrubal Cabrera in 2007 when we needed an upgrade at 2B...

Dont' think Goedert is the answer but pitchers haven't seen him either in the bigs, could be a decent option in the 2nd half, at worst as a bench guy covering all 4 corners.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Good news on Tomlin, he's going to go Monday (Memorial Day) against the Royals. McAllister has been optioned down.

Tribe has recalled Juan Diaz to take McAllister's place til Monday. Glad we get some bench depth with Hanny and Hafner banged up. Kinda suprised it was Diaz called up though and not Phelps even if it's only for 3 games. Clippers were in Syracuse and Aeros in Trenton so not like travel should have been a factor. Diaz is a better SS obviously than Phelps but other than that, don't see a real benefit. Probably overthinking it though, lol. Could maybe mean we're gonna see more Donald in CF for the Clippers (limits how you play your infielders in Columbus)....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri May 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Just saw the lineup for 2nite in Chicago. Not a fan. I realize Pronk is down but sitting Brantley on top of it is a head scratcher.

On the other hand this might be the opportunity LaPorta needs to get called up. Give Pronk the time he needs to get heathly. Heck heading into interleague play and NL ballparks, Pronk on the DL makes a ton of sense - have players that can hit AND play in the field.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Fri May 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Having Duncan at DH instead of Pronk is not good, even against a lefty called up from AA. Duncan couldn't touch him.

Of course, neither could Cabrera and Santana with runners on 2nd and 3rd and the Indians trailing by a run. In the end it didn't matter as they finally got to Gomez and then Ascencio came in to pour gasoline on the flames.

I was hoping they could beat this AA pitcher especially since Gomez has been throwing very well lately, but the Tribe has trouble with all lefties, even minor leaguers. The bottom of the order was pathetic, with Duncan, Damon, Cunningham, and Kotchman. I can't take any more of Damon. It's like the Indians are a National League team with Damon as the pitcher. Seriously, I'll be more than half the NL pitchers have been offensive numbers than he does.

At least Choo is still raking in the leadoff spot. The guy is amazing.

Well, we get a right-hander tomorrow (albeit a very good one) and we have our ace going, so maybe they can even it up. The Sox are playing very well right now, however. I'm glad we won't see them much after this series. Dunn is on pace for over 50 HR's and Konerko is leading the AL in batting at .384. And De Aza and Pierzinski have been killing us this year.

We really need Lowe to step up tomorrow.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat May 26, 2012 7:10 am

Last night was only missing Marson to be the complete lineup from hell. The league appears to have figured out Duncan. Cunningham hasn't figured out anything and Damon is pitiful.

1. We should start a contest on how long Damon lasts - IMO - this is his last series.

2. The only thing we have to trade is pitching. We have McAllister and Huff at Columbus.

Man - we are in first place - how can things look so gloomy this morning after a sweep of the Tigrers?

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:35 am

Bearcatbob wrote:Man - we are in first place - how can things look so gloomy this morning after a sweep of the Tigrers

I'm really not that upset about losing one game, but the various injuries have me worried. I assume Santana is okay after last night. I'm not so optimistic on ACab, who I would hate to see on the DL right now. But if he's day-to-day, that likely means Diaz will be getting some time in at SS.

And if Hafner hits the DL... ugh. I guess Matt LaPorta's 8th life starts soon.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat May 26, 2012 4:58 pm

This team has stones! Lowe has new life!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat May 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Lowe has nothing today and Acta has let him get his lunch! Disgusting!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:52 pm

With how well Accardo pitched in Spring Training and so far with his stint with the Tribe, you have to wonder how Wheeler ever made this team.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat May 26, 2012 6:17 pm

Diaz needs to go back to Akron - now. His callup was a ridiculous misjudgement of need. We are giving this game to Chicago.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat May 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Indians management own this fiasco. Acta left Lowe in to get his lunch. Diaz is simply not worthy of a major league appearance. This also on Acta. Hannahan could have played short and Lopez 3b.

When management tries to do short cuts - the rewards of idiocy follow!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat May 26, 2012 6:26 pm

If Diaz is in Chicago tomorrow on the roster we are simply giving away games. This one is on Antoneti and Acta. Juan Diaz has absolutely no business being in the major leagues.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:51 pm

I was pretty much convinced this game would be unwinnable from the start. I'm actually somewhat pleasantly surprised by the amount of offense generated by a team batting Jose Lopez cleanup and DH, with Kotchman, Hannahan, Damon, Diaz and Marson behind him. That's a terrible lineup, but that tends to happen when you simultaneously lose 3 of your top hitters to injury.

Diaz' defense hasn't been very good today, and that's supposed to be what makes him even remotely valuable. Perhaps he's a bit nervous for his ML debut, but this is really reminding me of Zeke Carrera last year. Both are known as light hitters who bring above average defense to a key position... then proceed to commit some frustrating blunders. Thing is, I'm not sure that him being called up was a bad idea. Donald hasn't hit worth anything this year, and if the Indians thought that Diaz was supposed to be a superior defender at SS, it's not an awful idea to give him a stint. And I'm more or less willing to chalk up a little bit of today's mess to first-time nerves. Though, the three strikeouts is pretty much exactly what I expected from him offensively... that's probably no fluke.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat May 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Just an ugly game.. in fact, both Friday night and today.. Offense was somewhat resilient with Choo, Brantley & Kipnis keeping the Tribe viable until the CWSox hitters locked in & hit screamers over the walls.. Otherwise, not exactly stellar defense by anyone.. especially by Diaz and Kotchman.. Diaz you can understand, first time jitters, yada yada.. but kotchman not being able to get a ball out of his glove and not saving Diaz on the poor but catch-able DP relay.. just not acceptable.. Not even close. Kotchman's first step on balls to his right.. would make the inventor of "Slip and Slide" proud.. He can't move. Right at him, probably.. anyplace other than right at him.. he isn't making the play. Add in that he's now back to his usual buck forty three (2/14) over the last four games.. he's not pulling his own weight, let alone picking up for guys that are nicked..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:19 pm

tomorrow i think is a big game for the indians. Last year, when things started going bad, ubaldo let them down with horrible outings when they needed to stop a losing streak.

Tomorrow is the game ubaldo was supposed to be brought in for. Your ace is supposed get you wins and to stop the bleeding when your team is in a tail spin.

Last year, the indians had lost 2 games in detroit and ubaldo had a disasterous start in detroit and the indians never recovered.

I am not saying they can't recover if he has a bad outing, but i think this will be a huge killer to the confidence of the team if your supposed ace or at least your #2 has a bad outing every time you need to stop a losing streak.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby martyinnewyork » Sat May 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Having Damon, Cunningham, Marson, Diaz, Duncan getting any significant playing time is a KILLER!!! Possibly our pitchers could provide better offense. Or random fans could suit up!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat May 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Konerko is up to .396. Sick. And none of those are infield hits he legged out, either. He earned every one.

These guys are just crushing the ball. I wouldn't want to be Ubaldo tomorrow. This would be a good time for him to find his mojo, however.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun May 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Gavin Floyd has given up 18 hits and 16 earned runs in his last two starts. The Indians need to jump on him today and put some runs on the board. And this would be a great time for Ubaldo to give us six strong innings.

Unfortunately, Diaz and Damon are automatic outs, and Hannahan is rusty from not having played in two weeks. He may not play today since they don't want to take the chance of aggravating his back. That puts a lot more pressure on Choo, Kip, Brantley and Lopez to produce some runs.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:03 pm

This post was proceeded by an expletive burst which sent my dog in to hiding. He hates baseball season.

If I had any power on earth I'd cut a finger off of any Tribe pitcher who didn't intentionally walk that irritating POS PAUL EFFING KONERKO.* Every at bat. For the rest of his career.

*I really toned this down on edit.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Sun May 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Well that was a nasty beat-down. The White Sox scored 35 runs in three games. Just a horrible display of pitching across the board. The only positive is that Pestano and Rage got some rest.

Yeah, Konerko is unreal right now. When he's locked in - forget it. Today I noticed he was sitting on the breaking ball. When he got a fastball he would just slap it foul with a late swing, and keep doing it until he got a breaking ball up.

If you told me going in that Damon would hit a 3-run homer and Diaz would get two hits I'd have sworn the baseball Gods had gifted this one to the Indians. Not even close.

I despise watching Jimenez pitch. He sucked today, although to be fair the Sox got four bloop hits off him in four innings. Even when he threw it outside the strike zone they were throwing the bat and blooping it in for hits. I can only recall one ball hit hard, but thanks to walks, lucky hits, and Konerko's dinger they got seven runs off him.

I don't think this is realistic, but if it was I would start over and build him a new delivery from scratch. The one he's using now hasn't done squat for him in two years.

Now they have to try and play .500 against the two worst teams in the division until they get their big boys back.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:30 am

I really don't think anything matters if they can't fix ubaldo. This trade is a bust and this team is screwed if they can't turn him around.

I give the FO credit for trying to win and make a bold move, but once again it was the wrong move. making a trade for a right handed power hitter is useless if we don't have legit #1 and #2 starting pitchers. We traded for a #4 or #5 pitcher at best and gave up our 2 best prospects for him.

This trade is going to hold down this franchise for years to come. Even if ubaldo turns it around, would we even consider signing him to an extension? either way, this trade has done incredible damage to this organization because our ability to compete for the playoffs is almost impossible if ubaldo can't pitch on the road. Even at home, the guy is a 6 inning pitcher.

You just have to wonder how the indians FO took the trap and fell in love with ubaldo. We weren't trading for pedro martinez or curt schilling in their prime. We were trading for a guy that had not been the same pitcher in over a year (and now 2) and had really good season in his career.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:16 am

indians1 wrote:I really don't think anything matters if they can't fix ubaldo. This trade is a bust and this team is screwed if they can't turn him around.

I give the FO credit for trying to win and make a bold move, but once again it was the wrong move. making a trade for a right handed power hitter is useless if we don't have legit #1 and #2 starting pitchers. We traded for a #4 or #5 pitcher at best and gave up our 2 best prospects for him.

This trade is going to hold down this franchise for years to come. Even if ubaldo turns it around, would we even consider signing him to an extension? either way, this trade has done incredible damage to this organization because our ability to compete for the playoffs is almost impossible if ubaldo can't pitch on the road. Even at home, the guy is a 6 inning pitcher.

You just have to wonder how the indians FO took the trap and fell in love with ubaldo. We weren't trading for pedro martinez or curt schilling in their prime. We were trading for a guy that had not been the same pitcher in over a year (and now 2) and had really good season in his career.

Same old song Dude.

We didn't trade for Pedro or Schilling but by the same token we didn't trade Strasburg & Kershaw.

A couple of years ago some idiot Red Sox fan did a video of himself as the Sux GM making a trade with that fool Shapiro. He, the fake Sux GM, took a call from Shapiro & made a trade while yukking it up with someone else in the room at Shapiro's expense. In the parodied trade the Sux gave up a reliever(Masterson), an injured starting spec(Hagadone), & a throw in spec(Bryan Price) for 180 games of Victor Martinez, with whom they didn't win one single playoff game. I'd like to find that vid & play it back for that guy with Connie Francis singing "Who's Sorry Now?" in the background.

Ubaldo could very possibly be worth more than Pomeranz & White. IF he could get consistency he'd be a valuable SP. He's got the talent. He's really close to being really good.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ironmike » Mon May 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Rocky55, great post.

You gotta keep one thing in mind when posting on these boards. You don't know the credentials, if any, from the posters involved. You can assume many of them never played the game, never coached the game, many claim to be self-proclaimed experts and will argue with you just for the sake of arguing because they are ankle biters. They believe everything they read from others and finally ... you gotta sort out which ones attended NitWit University.

If you can do all that you can enjoy any forum online.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 28, 2012 6:16 pm

ironmike wrote:Rocky55, great post.

You gotta keep one thing in mind when posting on these boards. You don't know the credentials, if any, from the posters involved. You can assume many of them never played the game, never coached the game, many claim to be self-proclaimed experts and will argue with you just for the sake of arguing because they are ankle biters. They believe everything they read from others and finally ... you gotta sort out which ones attended NitWit University.

If you can do all that you can enjoy any forum online.

The Nitwit University's has a Nittywaggom as their mascot...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Question for the board:
Assuming ACab is able to play again come Tuesday or Wednesday, Diaz will be sent back to the minors. After the moves of today a bullpen spot is open. Does the Tribe move Ubaldo to the pen, calling up a starter or call up someone else for the bully?

Looking at the current 40 man, many of the arms we have watched for bullpen depth would need to be added. The DFA of Jairo Asencio might open the needed 40 man spot.

My guess: Scott Barnes gets his first MLB exposure, and Jairo stays on the 40 man (w/ the Tribe).
What say the rest of you????
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon May 28, 2012 6:39 pm

If it was my call Mike, I'd go for either Barnes or Kluber.

We've been trying to turn middle relief guys (Ascencio, Accardo, Wheeler) into long men all year..... I think it might be time to actually put a guy out there who's accustomed to give you innings.

My guess is they go for Herrmann though.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Question for the board:
Assuming ACab is able to play again come Tuesday or Wednesday, Diaz will be sent back to the minors. After the moves of today a bullpen spot is open. Does the Tribe move Ubaldo to the pen, calling up a starter or call up someone else for the bully?

Looking at the current 40 man, many of the arms we have watched for bullpen depth would need to be added. The DFA of Jairo Asencio might open the needed 40 man spot.

My guess: Scott Barnes gets his first MLB exposure, and Jairo stays on the 40 man (w/ the Tribe).

Simply sending Diaz back to the minors does not solve the problem of a backup SS - especially is ACab needs a day off. Diaz may stay longer than I thought after watching his day 1. IMO Ubaldo needs to got the pen adn Zach needs to start. That means another roster move.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:Question for the board:

Simply sending Diaz back to the minors does not solve the problem of a backup SS - especially is ACab needs a day off. Diaz may stay longer than I thought after watching his day 1. IMO Ubaldo needs to got the pen adn Zach needs to start. That means another roster move.

Bob

The emergency backup SS was supposed to be Jack Hannahan..well, that's no longer a possibility with Hanny being placed on the 15 day DL.. Juan Diaz is the only other SS on the roster, so, there is a pretty good likelihood he stays with Lonnie, Droobs and Lopey to man the left side of the infield. Lopez can cover 2B, but not really well.. or Droobs can move over to 2B in the event Kipnis can't go giving the Indians a better DP combo. Duncan Lopez and Kotchman can cover 1B. This gives Manny a full compliment of IF'ers. In the OF, the starters are Damon Brantley and Choo with Cunningham and Duncan as the back ups.. Carlin and Marson at catcher with Santana due back in just a few days. When that comes to pass, Carlin will be sent back to Columbus.. Having a pitching staff of 11 guys, 6 for the pen, isn't unheard of..as Hagadone and Accardo can both go more than one inning.

What could happen, to gain the added BP spot, Hafner may be put onto the 15 day DL.. I hope not. He's critical to the Indians offense going forward..

Moving Ubaldo out of the rotation at this point.. only accomplishes not having him as someone to kick around. He has to keep going to the hill every fifth day. There will be outings like Sunday when he just flat out stinks.. and others where the guy the Indians thought they were getting shows up, even if only for four or six innings..

Ubaldo is not a pen guy.. never has been.. and shouldn't be.. You can't just stick a guy in the pen because you don't like the results.. You have to work on and fix what isn't working.. Now, that said.. Ubaldo may come down with a soft tissue injury like a strained back or something of that nature that allows the Indians to take full advantage of the DL.. not unheard of. If this was to pass, look for Zach McAllister to be recalled as an injury replacement, thereby waving the required 10 days. Barnes has less than 30 IP's so far this year and there's very little chance of him being promoted.. Even David Huff is more likely than Barnes after McAllister...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors