RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Indians Acquire Thome for PTBNL.

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Indians Acquire Thome for PTBNL.

Postby timdav » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Info per Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Re: Indians Acquire Thome for PTBNL.

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Indians fans should celebrate his return.

That said, he really dissed Cleveland 9 years ago when he left. Trip down memory lane:

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... -boos.html
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:59 am

Going to be intersting to see who the player ends up being... With the date being Oct. 15th to complete it I assume making the play-offs is a factor on who it ends up being.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ironmike » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:04 am

Tony, not sure the information reported in that article was 100% correct. I won't post the details here but I can tell you there was more to the situation that was not reported.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 am

Congrats to the Indians for re-acquiring Jim Thome. I'm sure over time people will say the price wound up being too high for only 1 month of the season. But that's OK with me in this case.

Life is too short to worry about what was done or not done 9 years ago. Lots of Indians fans have died and been born since then. The fact is he is one of the greatest Indians of all-time. A HOFer. It will be great to see him with that big swing send one out one more time. I hope I'm there. I hope you are too. :drinks:
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:03 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Congrats to the Indians for re-acquiring Jim Thome. I'm sure over time people will say the price wound up being too high for only 1 month of the season. But that's OK with me in this case.

Life is too short to worry about what was done or not done 9 years ago. Lots of Indians fans have died and been born since then. The fact is he is one of the greatest Indians of all-time. A HOFer. It will be great to see him with that big swing send one out one more time. I hope I'm there. I hope you are too. :drinks:

I too applaud the move. Thome was always one of my favorites. I will reserve judgement on the trade based on who the ptbnl is. The fans cannot say the FO is not trying to get back in this race. He is a veteran that can help the youngins in a playoff run. Even if this team falls short of the division title, this is a good move because of the message it sends as well as the leadership it will provide. :friends:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:16 am

The fans cannot say the FO is not trying to get back in this race

Well its too late for that. Still glad they got him though. I would try and sign him for next year. Hafner will obviously not be healthy all year and Thome is more productive anyway
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:24 am

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
The fans cannot say the FO is not trying to get back in this race

Well its too late for that. Still glad they got him though. I would try and sign him for next year. Hafner will obviously not be healthy all year and Thome is more productive anyway

well it always takes 2 to tango and after Hafner went down they got him in just a few days. I certainly think the FO did try to acquire others and were successful with Fukudome and Jimenez. IMHO, they have tried and still are trying.

As far as signing him for next year, can you have to DH only's on a roster of 25 for a full season? He has only played 4 games at 1B since 2005 (none since 2007). He may not even remember which hand the glove goes on.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:09 am

Too little, too late. They're talking about putting both Brantley and Tomlin on the DL, and Choo is still being evaluated for that pain in his side. We've already lost Sizemore, Kipnis, and Carrasco. No way the Tribe can make up 6 1/2 games on Detroit with all those guys out, especially the way Jimenez is pitching. And Thome is nowhere near the hitter he was in his prime. I'd just as soon he went somewhere else.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:13 pm

ironmike wrote:Tony, not sure the information reported in that article was 100% correct. I won't post the details here but I can tell you there was more to the situation that was not reported.

Let me guess, you believe in the conspiracy theory that the Tribe never intended to offer Thome the 5 year deal and that Thome actually agreed to it, but it was pulled? :rolleyes:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ACrank » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Too little, too late. They're talking about putting both Brantley and Tomlin on the DL, and Choo is still being evaluated for that pain in his side. We've already lost Sizemore, Kipnis, and Carrasco. No way the Tribe can make up 6 1/2 games on Detroit with all those guys out, especially the way Jimenez is pitching. And Thome is nowhere near the hitter he was in his prime. I'd just as soon he went somewhere else.

Agree. At this point all it is is a feel good move. i doubt it will do much more than that.
ACrank
Draft Prospect

Postby Chiefroy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:12 pm

ACrank wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Too little, too late. They're talking about putting both Brantley and Tomlin on the DL, and Choo is still being evaluated for that pain in his side. We've already lost Sizemore, Kipnis, and Carrasco. No way the Tribe can make up 6 1/2 games on Detroit with all those guys out, especially the way Jimenez is pitching. And Thome is nowhere near the hitter he was in his prime. I'd just as soon he went somewhere else.

Agree. At this point all it is is a feel good move. i doubt it will do much more than that.

As far as feel good moves go, this one feels pretty damn good. :yahoo:
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby ACrank » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Right now it doesn't feel good to me. Thome is just a hired gun on a team that needs a missle. :bomb:
ACrank
Draft Prospect

Postby ironmike » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:34 pm

No Hermie, you are giving yourself way to much credit regarding.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Let me start by saying that even at the height of his popularity, I wasn't as big a fan of Jim Thome as most... and I think it's hilarious that after all his quotes claiming that it was all about winning and not money, it took the Indians five years to get back to the playoffs, and it took Thome six (and with another organization). Now with that out of the way...

I can't comprehend why anyone would try to find anything negative in this deal. It's not going to cost Cleveland a player or financial sum of any significance... it might not even cost them a player at all. It's an excellent PR move -- Thome wants to be here, and most of the fan base is ecstatic to have him back. He's 1,000,000x the veteran leader and professional role model that Orlando F. Cabrera ever was. He's a useful bat in a lineup that has half of its starters on the DL, and has no one else of any value to put in the DH slot. Even aside from that desperate situation, he'd be an improvement over what Cleveland has gotten from Travis Hafner over the past several months, even if Pronk was healthy. Whether he's an improvement to a team battling for first place or second place doesn't matter, as he's not a cost prohibitive addition -- this is a move that should have been made regardless of team record, as the team isn't giving up anything important, and he's blocking no one who will have an impact on Cleveland's future.

Anyone who tries to argue that this is a bad strategic move is being irrational based on their inability to get past the decision of one baseball player over 8 years ago.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:30 am

We needed a DH and Thome was available, plus he has the second highest OPS of any DH in the American League according to Pluto's column this morning. I still think it's too little, too late to overcome the amazing run of injuries, but I give the front office kudos for trying.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:43 am

Pork Chop Pough wrote:......aside from that desperate situation, he'd be an improvement over what Cleveland has gotten from Travis Hafner over the past several months, even if Pronk was healthy......

Perhaps you just aren't a fan of power hitting lefty DH's without a valid basis for the dislike.... <shrugs>
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:31 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Pork Chop Pough wrote:......aside from that desperate situation, he'd be an improvement over what Cleveland has gotten from Travis Hafner over the past several months, even if Pronk was healthy......

Perhaps you just aren't a fan of power hitting lefty DH's without a valid basis for the dislike.... <shrugs>

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make, but if you think that my criticism of Hafner has to do with anything other than his very valid struggles since his first DL trip (50 games - .238/.333/.381) then it says more about your inability to see through your own bias of a player than it does mine.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 pm

..Even aside from that desperate situation, he'd be an improvement over what Cleveland has gotten from Travis Hafner over the past several months, even if Pronk was healthy...
Improvement: The act or process of improving or the state of being improved or a change or addition that improves

Travis Hafner .281/.364/.488 (.812 OPS)..11 HR's 49 RBI's <=== what Travis Hafner has contributed in 2011

In other words..

The bias exists in your own statement.. "if PRONK was healthy." ..selectively changing the statement to only include post DL stats is BIASED..

YOUR BIAS

The Indians did get very good results from Travis during his 281 AB's in 2011. The improvement you allude to is a myth. To kick a player when he's down (on the DL) is crapola. That's also the point.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:24 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

Hafner hasn't been a power hitter for a while now. Nearly 70% of his hits this year have been singles.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:13 am

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Hafner hasn't been a power hitter for a while now. Nearly 70% of his hits this year have been singles.

What an odd response.. aren't most hits by any hitter from power or slap, consistently around 70 % singles?.. uh huh..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:40 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

What an odd response.. aren't most hits by any hitter from power or slap, consistently around 70 % singles?.. uh huh..

ha....not even close.

Top 12 HR hitters in the AL this year (with percentage of hits going for singles):

T1: Bautista - 52%
T1: Grandy - 50%
3: Texi- 53%
4: Reynolds - 46%
T5: Cruz - 52%
T5: Konerko - 67%
7: Ortiz - 53%
8: Hardy - 58%
T9:Miggy - 62%
T9:Quentin - 49%
T9:Longoria - 51%
T9:Trubmo - 55%

Only 2 guys over 55%. Only 1 truely close to Pronk and that's Konerko....he and his .228 ISO vs Pronk's .167 ISO. Pronk is not a power hitter anymore. Can be a decent bat when healthy, but not a power hitter.

Thome is around 50% as well.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby 3ProspectsAndaPTBNL » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Any chance we would see Thome brought back next year? I know, i know, a platoon at DH sounds lame (probably even take up too much roster space). But since Hafner and Thome can't play everyday, Thome can hit against lefties (.945 OPS in 2011) and Hafner against righties (.881 OPS in 2011).
3ProspectsAndaPTBNL
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:51 pm

3ProspectsAndaPTBNL wrote:Any chance we would see Thome brought back next year? I know, i know, a platoon at DH sounds lame (probably even take up too much roster space). But since Hafner and Thome can't play everyday, Thome can hit against lefties (.945 OPS in 2011) and Hafner against righties (.881 OPS in 2011).

No chance. First off, Thome is probably retiring. But even if he does not the ONLY way he is brought back is if Hafner has to have surgery on his foot and is expected to miss a chunk of the start of next season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:18 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
3ProspectsAndaPTBNL wrote:Any chance we would see Thome brought back next year? I know, i know, a platoon at DH sounds lame (probably even take up too much roster space). But since Hafner and Thome can't play everyday, Thome can hit against lefties (.945 OPS in 2011) and Hafner against righties (.881 OPS in 2011).

No chance. First off, Thome is probably retiring. But even if he does not the ONLY way he is brought back is if Hafner has to have surgery on his foot and is expected to miss a chunk of the start of next season.

Or keep your fingers crossed that the Angels lose their mind again this winter and trade for Hafner like he did Wells :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors