Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

9 troubling notes surrounding the Tigers

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:47 am

http://isportsweb.com/2011/08/18/9-trou ... ng-tigers/

Written on August 18, 2011 by Joe White

The Detroit Tigers are 65-58 and two full games up on the Indians heading into play on Thursday. While the gut feeling around Motown is that the Tigers are going to win the AL Central, and this article is not to suggest otherwise, there are still far too many things that are making the average fan very uneasy heading into the final 6 weeks of the season.

Here are the 9 most unnerving items of note regarding the current state of the Tigers:

Rick Porcello, plain and simple, is not to be trusted. At 22-years old, Porcello has had a rocky season experiencing plenty of ups and downs. Overall, the numbers aren’t that terrifying. He is a solid 11-8 with a bit of an unsightly 4.95 ERA. Here are his ERA’s by month: April – 4.25, May – 3.52, June – 6.97, July – 3.06, August – 8.44. After going 5-0 during July, Rick has fallen apart in his 3 August outings. The problem is simple: his fastball isn’t good enough. If he were in the mid 90’s like he was as a rookie he’d have more room for error but his decreased velocity requires pinpoint control, which is asking far too much from a 22-year old. If the Tigers hit the playoffs, Jim Leyland will have a tough decision to make on who his 3rd starter will be in a short series.
A quick review of the Tigers trade deadline move with Seattle looks a little frightening at the moment. The player to be named later was made official yesterday as rising reliever Chance Ruffin was sent packing. Casper Wells is hitting .326 with 5 homers and 12 RBI’s in just 13 games for the M’s. Charlie Furbush is getting his chance to start as well. Meanwhile, Doug Fister has a 6.14 ERA in 3 starts while David Pauley has been very mediocre in relief. Fister must step his game up for this trade to be anything other than a bust.
3rd base is a total mess. When Wilson Betemit was brought over from the Royals he was immediately dubbed the everyday 3rd baseman. Despite a strong .318 average since coming to town, he has K’d 25 times in just 57 at-bats (44%). Now Leyland is saying he just isn’t an everyday player and Don Kelly is getting more P.T. Not only that, but it sounds inevitable that Brandon Inge will be called up as rosters expand September 1st and will see playing time against lefties. We all know how much Leyland loves Inge. With him on the active roster, Leyland’s loyal pencil will have no choice but to start the maligned former face of the franchise on most nights. The good news is Inge’s bat has awakened with AAA Toledo. He is hitting .298 with 7 homers and 19 RBI’s in 104 total at-bats.
Are we seeing the best of Austin Jackson right now? Is he a .240’s hitter with extreme streakiness? 128 K’s tells us that may indeed be the case. At just 24 years old, the book certainly isn’t closed on Austin but he needs to find a way to make contact. When is the last time he got on base to lead off a game?
Leyland and GM Dave Dombrowski have made it clear by the moves made this season that defense is not even an afterthought, it isn’t even being considered. With Delmon Young in the fold and the slowest and least effective infield in recent memory on ANY team, the Tigers have a terrible overall team defense. It’s all about offense and getting enough out of the starting pitching to stay in games. Ryan Raburn at 2nd base has actually made Tigers fans long for Carlos Guillen’s defense! Now that’s something.
It is well known that the Tigers didn’t acquire Austin Jackson for Curtis Granderson straight up. Phil Coke, Daniel Schlereth, and Max Scherzer also came to town in the 3-team trade. However, that doesn’t make it any easier to look at Grandy’s MVP-caliber stats. He’s hitting .277 with 34 homers, 111 runs, 95 RBI’s, and 22 steals and it’s only mid-August. Wow.
Jose Valverde has a 0.51 ERA in save opportunities and is a perfect 35 for 35 in save chances. In non-save situations, he is 2-4 with a 6.88 ERA. Yes, he’s the 9th inning guy, but at what point does Leyland stop calling his name in tie games?
What role does Magglio Ordonez currently serve the Detroit Tigers other than cashing his $10M worth of paychecks? He has been relegated to a bench player due to his completely inept bat. A bench player that can’t play defense is of no value to any team and we all know that Magglio was never mistaken for Ken Griffey, Jr. It’s time to turn him loose. I’d rather have Danny Worth or Will Rhymes available as a late inning defensive replacement than Magglio taking up space.
And finally, Brad Penny is just plain hard to watch. Slow, indifferent, plodding, yet somehow randomly effective.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: 9 troubling notes surrounding the Tigers

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:48 am

The first question that popped into my mind: Would there be 9 troubling notes about the New York Yankees?.. Boston Red Sox?... Texas Rangers?.. Cleveland Indians?...

What would they be?.. but back to the Tiger's article..

The Tigers starting staff, after Verlander, is a collection of mediocre MOR/BOR SP's. The Tigers don't have much depth available in their minor league system (Duane Below?.. Adam Weak?), and what little help they may be able to call up wouldn't be much different, perhaps much worse?, than what is currently on the active roster.. Rick Porcello is a lot like and perhaps worse than the 2008 & 2009 versions of Fausto.. When there are runners on base, he is a basket case.. Max Scherzer, who gets the start in the opener of this three game series in Detroilet, has been consistently inconsistent.

Add to the starting pitching woes is a defense that might be better served as gargoyles in a museum. They just don't move very well. Miguel Cabrera has gone from being a slow footed/slow reacting one tool player player to a statue. Jhonny Peralta may have the best range of any of the Tigers infielders. Alex Avila is a fundamentally sound catcher with a strong and accurate arm. He is the lone bright spot, defensively, for the Tiger's infield. The outfield, with Brennan Boesch, Delmon Young and Austin Jackson are competent on a good day.. not much more, otherwise. Austin Jackson is the Tiger's best defensive OF'er, but, like the days of Kenny Lofton with the Indians in the 90's who was flanked by Manny Ramirez and Albert Belle, he has the added burden of playing two OF spots: 1/2 of both LF and RF, along with all of CF. This is a club that will fail when their opposition puts the ball in play. hint... hint... hint...

The Tiger's bullpen, after Valverde in save situations, is a disaster. If given the choice of any one of the Tigers relievers, it would be a tough choice to select more than one to replace Chad Durbin. ( Al Albuquerque, when healthy, is about as good as it gets for the Tigers..whenever that is..).

In summary, the tigers are bashing their way past their poor defense and mediocre pitching. They are slightly above .500 and in the lead in the AL Central. They are not a young team, so, looking at them from a long term perspective will say, the Tigers have to win NOW.. or they'll be going silently into thy good night.. Desperation should become their motis operandi if the Indians are able to take this series..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:57 am

Before the season started, I honestly thought the Tigers would place 3rd behind the Twins and White Sox, so their "run" to first place is kind've surprising, and I don't think it can be sustained for much longer, and I don't think they can contend next year, either.

And even though it's been said, they're old, unathletic, and have no pitching aside from Verlander. They're Tigers in name only.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Magneticnorth451 wrote:Before the season started, I honestly thought the Tigers would place 3rd behind the Twins and White Sox, so their "run" to first place is kind've surprising, and I don't think it can be sustained for much longer, and I don't think they can contend next year, either.

And even though it's been said, they're old, unathletic, and have no pitching aside from Verlander. They're Tigers in name only.

At this stage of the season.. it may be a 'sure you did" kind of response.. but, I had the Indians winning the division with 86 wins.. honest.. & I have 29 witnesses to that fact. That is, $ 600.00 ($ 20/person) is on the line.. There was only one other person in our little wagering pool that picked the Indians.. and she had them losing in the ALDS..

Most correct predictions and closest to being correct (divisions, LDS's, LCS's and WS).. wins.. a Winner take all !
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Magneticnorth451 wrote:Before the season started, I honestly thought the Tigers would place 3rd behind the Twins and White Sox, so their "run" to first place is kind've surprising, and I don't think it can be sustained for much longer, and I don't think they can contend next year, either.

At this stage of the season.. it may be a 'sure you did" kind of response.. but, I had the Indians winning the division with 86 wins.. honest.. & I have 29 witnesses to that fact. That is, $ 600.00 ($ 20/person) is on the line.. There was only one other person in our little wagering pool that picked the Indians.. and she had them losing in the ALDS..

Most correct predictions and closest to being correct (divisions, LDS's, LCS's and WS).. wins.. a Winner take all !

hmm...subject of this thread is about the issues with the Tigers......and you talk about your pre-season Indians prediction. Maybe we should change the subject of the thread for you :rolleyes:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors