RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

September 1 Roster Additions?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

September 1 Roster Additions?

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:57 am

Who comes up Sept 1?

Duncan
Judy
Putnam
Phelps or Valbuena
Carasco

Any others? McAllister/Gomez?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: September 1 Roster Additions?

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:01 pm

I would like to see Hagadone added. He might not be anything more than a LOOGY this year but he's one hell of a LOOGY (lefties are hitting .140 against him)
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:10 pm

This year, it would not be surprising to see about four call ups to the major league roster:

Nick Hagadone
Josh Judy
Cord Phelps
Shelly Duncan

on the first day rosters are permitted to expand followed by an additional group of players as needed:

JeanMar Gomez
Zack McAllister

The return of Carlos Carrasco will also have a bearing on which starter could get an added 'cup of coffee'.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:12 pm

entertheshoe wrote:I would like to see Hagadone added. He might not be anything more than a LOOGY this year but he's one hell of a LOOGY (lefties are hitting .140 against him)

My guess is they will add Judy, Putnam and Carrasco to the pitching staff right away especially with all the games they will have to do. Extras may not be brought up until after the playoffs. There may not be enough work to keep them sharp. They might bring up other guys depending on when they need BP help (maybe not right on Sept 1 but after a double header or a long extra inning game).

I think both Valbuena and Phelps will be called up. Plus another OF like Neal and a catcher (although this will require a 40 man move - Rondon to 60?).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:51 pm

daingean wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:I would like to see Hagadone added. He might not be anything more than a LOOGY this year but he's one hell of a LOOGY (lefties are hitting .140 against him)

My guess is they will add Judy, Putnam and Carrasco to the pitching staff right away especially with all the games they will have to do. Extras may not be brought up until after the playoffs. There may not be enough work to keep them sharp. They might bring up other guys depending on when they need BP help (maybe not right on Sept 1 but after a double header or a long extra inning game).

I think both Valbuena and Phelps will be called up. Plus another OF like Neal and a catcher (although this will require a 40 man move - Rondon to 60?).

Right now we don't need to make a 40 man move to add a catcher. Now if they did bring up Putnam then yes another move would need to be made, but remember we only have 39 guys on the 40-man now.

I don't see the need to add Putnam personally. Bullpen could use some reinforcements but Judy to start with is fine, then maybe Hagadone. But Putnam really hasn't pitched that well over the last month. Then again, neither has Judy. I like the idea of adding another catcher more though than Putnam. Definitely think it's something you could see too.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby daingean » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Right now we don't need to make a 40 man move to add a catcher. Now if they did bring up Putnam then yes another move would need to be made, but remember we only have 39 guys on the 40-man now.

I don't see the need to add Putnam personally. Bullpen could use some reinforcements but Judy to start with is fine, then maybe Hagadone. But Putnam really hasn't pitched that well over the last month. Then again, neither has Judy. I like the idea of adding another catcher more though than Putnam. Definitely think it's something you could see too.

OK but I was assuming Putnam would be added because with doubleheaders and the full season grind we would add 2 relievers. Since Putnam has to be protected after this year, he would be a prime candidate. Plus his season has been pretty good. I also expect some things to change before Sept because they always do.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby petes999 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't see anyone being called up on Sept 1..... other than Phelps and/or Duncan for a right handed bat, Judy and possibly Hagadone. However, I do see a lot of call ups the last two weeks of the season especially relievers to deal with DHs.

1) Our bullpen has been superior, thus why throw out anyone who hasn't proven their reliability at this level other than if you called up Judy as a reliever in a wasted game which we hope we don't have much of.

2) We will need to call up Gomez or McCallister for next week's DH with Seattle. Then we will send them back ... thus ineligble to come back on Sept 1 due to 10 day rule. The bullpen will be back and rested by Sept 1 from that DH in regular order, so no need for reliever just for rest (unless we have more 14 inning games ... reason for Judy).

3) You don't need another starter until end of September when we may have 2 DHs ... with White Sox and possibly Twins. But note, Twins game probably hasn't been reschedule because any alternative sucks --- Sept 12 is maybe when we both have off days but both between road series (us in Chicago going to Texas only to stop here for 1 game) . Other options, end of season (but we may have a playoff with Det)... or the last weekend in Sept. which would be 2 DHs in 6 games.

4) Due to Carrasco being on DL, I would use the 30 day rehab to let him get his kinks worked out ... then you can make a call of him or Huff for postseason as he was on DL on August 30th (reason not have him start next week's DH as you lose that option). Thus, have him ready for DHs in Sept. by going to AAA for playoffs.

5) I would like to see Hagadone as a LOOGY .. however with Perez and Sipp, it may be a bit of overkill... but we will see what Indians think. If we are going against a serious lefty, do you want an uproven guy over anyone other than to swap him with Smith.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:51 pm

I would not expect a huge influx of players on Sept 1. I think Duncan, valbuena, and Judy are close to locks. If Carrasco is off the DL he is activated then otherwise he stays on he DL until needed for DH. Same with Gomez as I don't see him coming up until a need for a starter arises, same with McAllister. Putnam will probably be up in Sept but may not arrive until Columbus is done. same with phelps.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors