Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Ubaldo - so far

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Ubaldo - so far

Postby indians1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 pm

hey tony,

if ubaldo is nowhere close to being an ACE, then why do you give up your top two prospects for him?

It seems like Antonetti and the FO sure thought he was an ace. I know the staff is better with jimenez, but if ubaldo isn't a #1, then we have major problems. I know we have him for the next two years, but we traded for him this year as well because we didn't want to see this season go to waste after competing the whole year. I agree we were screwed in terms of going for the division without jimenez this year. That being said, if he has mechanical issues and can't solve the issue soon, that downgrades this trade big time.

If healthy pomeranz and white will be in the rotation for colorado by mid-june or july next year. Was it worth giving up 2 top pitching prospects for 1/2-1 year?

I like how justin masterson is pitching, but there is no guarantee that he will be as good next year. He had alot of struggles as a starter in the past and so there is a gamble there.

I just feel you make this type of trade for ACE, not a very good #2. That loss on sunday was a killer. jimenez is supposed to be a stopper. He didn't have to be brilliant, but we needed him to be good and he failed. That game on sunday was a 2 game swing.

After the trade, this team was playing with some bravado. I think with how jimenez is pitching and the loss of kipnis, this team has lost alot of confidence.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:50 pm

GhostofTedCox, your thoughts on Ubaldo Jimenez's start tonight?

:bomb:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Damn nice game by Ubaldo tonight!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:21 pm

entertheshoe wrote:GhostofTedCox, your thoughts on Ubaldo Jimenez's start tonight?

:bomb:

What's not to like? Ubaldo really battled tonight. Kuddos to him and Belcher for trying to straighten things out. Really seemed to have his stuff working against the LH bats tonight.
Let's hope he can do the same with his next start, and the rest of the way. :good:
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby go_tribe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:50 pm

ups and downs this season or not, I think given a full year to recover and condition Ubaldo will live up to his end of the trade starting next year. Look at his performance tonight....yes he gave up lots of singles but we havnt had a strikeout machine like this since Sabathia. I'm excited
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby ironmike » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:02 am

When he get back to locating the four seam fastball watch out. He also throws a sinking fastball with movement to LH hitters which is an excellent pitch. More time with Tim Belcher and Rad and he'll be fine. They already know he needs to work on the release point and adjust his stride. Electric stuff.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:02 am

He was topping out at 93-94 on his fastball and still struck out 10 hitters in 7 innings. That's extremely encouraging. He may have lost 3 mph on his fastball but it still has good movement. Even when he fell behind in the count and had to groove one they still weren't squaring it up. The Royals are a pretty good offensive team, too.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 am

Prosecutor wrote:He was topping out at 93-94 on his fastball and still struck out 10 hitters in 7 innings. That's extremely encouraging. He may have lost 3 mph on his fastball but it still has good movement. Even when he fell behind in the count and had to groove one they still weren't squaring it up. The Royals are a pretty good offensive team, too.

Not that one thing has anything to do with the other, when CC Sabathia was learning his craft while wearing Chief Wahoo on his sleeve, early in his career, he would be topping out in the mid upper 90's with his fastball.. It wasn't until CC learned that he could get a batter out with a 93-94 mph FB with movement and command that his career really took off. Once in a while, CC would reach back for the 98 mph heater, but, for the most part..his command of his FB at 93-94, slurve and devastating change up made him the ACE that he is.. The same kind of approach may be in the offing for Ubaldo, going forward. imho..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Ubaldo is going to have to learn to pitch in the way CC and guys like pedro martinez did. Ubaldo has to learn how to pitch and under control.

Who knows about this year (i'm not giving up), but we need Ubaldo to be an elite pitcher for us to compete. We don't have an upper echelon pitcher in the minors that will help next year. Scott barnes-i am not sold on. He has potential but he doesn't have the potential pomeranz had.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Update on Alex White and Drew Pomeranz..

Alex White has made his second start with the Rockies.. going against the Arizona DBax.. His second start was much worse than his first as he gave up 5 earned runs in 6 IP, walking six. He earned the L.. For the two starts, Alex White is now 0-1 with a 7.50 ERA with 10 Earned runs over his 12 IP. He has has seven k's and seven BBs. Not exactly the best results.. but, six innings pitched in each outing says that he has a chance to stick.. With the Rockies pretty much an after thought in the NL West.. Alex will continue to get his chances..

Drew Pomeranz is still 1-0 with a miniscule 0.31 ERA in his only start/appearance for the Tulsa Drillers, the Rockies AA club. Pomeranz hasn't pitched in nearly two weeks. There doesn't appear to be a reason for the lay off.

FYI...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:59 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Update on Alex White and Drew Pomeranz..

Alex White has made his second start with the Rockies.. going against the Arizona DBax.. His second start was much worse than his first as he gave up 5 earned runs in 6 IP, walking six. He earned the L.. For the two starts, Alex White is now 0-1 with a 7.50 ERA with 10 Earned runs over his 12 IP. He has has seven k's and seven BBs. Not exactly the best results.. but, six innings pitched in each outing says that he has a chance to stick.. With the Rockies pretty much an after thought in the NL West.. Alex will continue to get his chances..

Drew Pomeranz is still 1-0 with a miniscule 0.31 ERA in his only start/appearance for the Tulsa Drillers, the Rockies AA club. Pomeranz hasn't pitched in nearly two weeks. There doesn't appear to be a reason for the lay off.

FYI...

Pomeranz had an appendectomy.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:49 pm

daingean wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Update on Alex White and Drew Pomeranz..

FYI...

Pomeranz had an appendectomy.
That's right.. ooops. I did read about that, but it isn't anywhere on the rockies affiliates website....thanks for the info....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:07 pm

I Viewed some of the Rox gm White was all over. I'm not sure if it was rust / nerves or simply part of the healing process (mentally). It was highly uncharacteristic of White. His velo was up 94-95 at times. His pitch location was plain awful.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:40 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I Viewed some of the Rox gm White was all over. I'm not sure if it was rust / nerves or simply part of the healing process (mentally). It was highly uncharacteristic of White. His velo was up 94-95 at times. His pitch location was plain awful.

Alex White has had control problems though going back to his days in North Carolina.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:I Viewed some of the Rox gm White was all over. I'm not sure if it was rust / nerves or simply part of the healing process (mentally). It was highly uncharacteristic of White. His velo was up 94-95 at times. His pitch location was plain awful.

Alex White has had control problems though going back to his days in North Carolina.

that was always going to be his issue, and why many teams thought along with a a meh third pitch why he is a pen arm and not a starter
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors