RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians, August 12-14th, 2011
Posted by GeronimoSon » Friday, August 12, 2011 6:01 pm


Entering the series...
Indians: 58-57, 2nd place in AL Central with a 3 game deficit. 31-25 at home 5-5 in last 10
Twins: 52-65, 4th place in AL Central, 1o game behind the Tigers 25-35 on the road 2-8 in last 10
The Indians come into this series against the Twins after taking the first two games of a three game series against the division leading Tigers. The Indians complete a 5-5 record against the three first place clubs in the AL East, Central and West, respectively. The Tigers salvaged the last game of the series against the Indians to avoid the sweep. The Twins come into Cleveland after an off day Thursday. The hard luck Twins lost a series to the Boston Red Sox, but salvaged the finale of the three game series to avoid the sweep. This weekend series marks the return of Jim Thome and his pursuit of his 600th home run for his career. The Cleveland fans should be ready to welcome big Jim back with several standing ovations:

Friday, 7:05 ET
Justin Masterson, RHP (9-7, 2.71) vs. Carl Pavano RHP (6-9 4.71)

This match up, on paper says the Indians should have a decided advantage for the starting pitchers. Alas, the games are not played on paper. Justin Masterson, for whatever reason, has never pitched well against the Twins (going 0-4 with a 3.74 ERA) while Carl Pavano seems to have the Indians number going 3-2 with a 2.72 ERA. The Indians hitters need to be patient and selective with Pavano's offerings while the Indians need to play fundamentally sound defense behind Masteron. This game should set the tone for how the series goes. Both teams are expecting the return of star players. For the Indians, Shin-soo Choo will be starting in RF and leading off. For the Twins, Justin Morneau will be returning from a painful and bothersome neck injury.

Saturday, 7:05 ET
Josh Tomlin, RHP (11-5, 4.08) versus Brian Duensing (8-10, 4.56)

Josh Tomlin has continued his success as the Indians most reliable starting pitcher. His last outing was another quality start. He did not factor in the decision, but pitched well enough to earn the W. Tomlin ability to to pound the strike zone and attack hitters with his pitch to contact, reduce/eliminate free passes approach to pitching continuee with his last start. His streak of five plus inning starts to begin his major league career continues. Brian Duensing is the classic lefty control artist that gives the Indians fits. In his career, he is 3-0 with a 3.20 ERA against the Indians. In his most recent starts, Duensing's been prone to giving up the gofer ball (his last game against the CWSox, he surrender two homers). We'll see if the big bats in the Indians lineup can go deep on him on Saturday's evening matchup.

Sunday 1:05 ET
David Huff LHP (1-1 0.51 ERA ) versus Kevin Slowey RHP (0-0, 4.91 ERA)
David Huff is not officially listed as the starter, however, with the elbow inflammation experienced by Carlos Carrasco and Huff's effectiveness in his last three starts at the MLB level, it's been widely acknowledged that Huff will be placed into the starting rotation. The move may become permanent if he continues to be as effective as he has been in the three appearances this season. The reason for Huff's success is rather simple.. STRIKE ONE.. Kevin Slowey is replacing Scott Baker who was injured. Slowey has been effective against the Indians, owning a lifetime 6-2 record and mid three's ERA. There is nothing remarkable about the repertoire that Slowey offers.


NOTES:
• Outfielder Michael Brantley, who has missed the last two games with a sore right wrist will begin the series on the bench. There is a possibility that Brantley will be placed on the DL to allow David Huff to take his spot in the rotation for Sunday's matinee.
• Jim Thome is sitting on 598 Home Runs. It would be an honor to have him hit his 600th as a solo shot in a 12-1 losing game for the Twins on Sunday afternoon.
• Justin Morneau was just killing the ball during his minor league rehab and begged Ron Gardenhire to bring him back up for this series against the Indians. Morneau was swinging really good and Tribe fans knows what that means when the big lefty is swinging well.
• Cleveland's rookie Jason Kipnis now has hit six home runs since making his Major League debut on July 22. Kipnis, who collected five hits in the Indians's win over the Tigers on Wednesday, is hitting .281 since his callup.
• The Twins will be without Michael Cuddyer for the first game, at least. He strained his neck during early batting practice Friday in preparation for the Red Sox Series.

Central Division Watch:
-Detroit travels to Baltimore for a three game series. .
-the CWSox host the Kansas City Royals for a three game AL Central battle.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Excellent stuff sir. We need to beat up on the lesser teams. Losing 2 out of 3 to KC was disgraceful. It seems we play our best against the good teams and let down against the lesser.

We need to start the series tonight with a win.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm

At this point, the Twins are basically Francisco Liriano (who Cleveland misses in this series) and one other guy who pitches 4 different times under 4 different names. Duensing is a bit different in that he's a lefty and will strike some guys out (6.3 K/9), but he's still similar to Carl Pavano, Kevin Slowey and Nick Blackburn (the other starter we'll miss)... underwhelming stuff but good control, eating innings while posting ERAs in the 4.50 range, and trusting that more good than bad will happen as long as they just throw strikes.

That hasn't been the case lately for Duensing (6.46 ERA in his last 4 starts), but he hasn't faced Cleveland this year and he is a match-up concern since the one thing he does well is retire lefties (.218/.241/.278). As for Slowey, his last appearance with Minnesota came May 20th out of the pen. This will be his first start of the season after the aborted attempt to make him a reliever. He was less than happy about it, and he's had a lost season between shoulder bursitis, an abdominal strain and trade rumors after being flat out demoted due to fallout over the switch in roles.

• The Indians only have 8 non-division games remaining on their schedule.

• Cleveland's bullpen pitched 15 shutout innings against Detroit.

• The last time these two met, Minnesota won and moved to within 5 games of first place. They've gone 6-13 since, losing 9 of their last 11, and have failed to score 4+ runs in 8 of those.

• The Twins are also getting starting 2B Alexi Casilla back tonight. He was heating up with 10 hits in his last 31 at-bats before going on the DL with a strained hamstring in late July.

• Minnesota shortstop Tsuyoshi Nishioka has a 7-game hitting streak in which he's had 7 total hits. It's progress for one of the worst starting position players in the majors. Nishioka has hit .217/.262/.244 in 53 games (sandwiched around a broken leg), and has crossed home plate all of 9 times this season.

• Earl Weaver and Billy Beane would both hate Minnesota's offense (then again, who wouldn't?). They rank last in walks and next-to-last in home runs.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Good test for C Perez tonight - time to man up and get back on track. This is a hard earned win ready for the taking.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Good test for C Perez tonight - time to man up and get back on track. This is a hard earned win ready for the taking.


One, two three - nice job!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 pm

You know things are going the indian's way when Duncan gets an IBB!!! But more importantly Mr. LaPorta have you finally realized you are the key to this team winning the division??? You are indeed the key master, the x-factor, the missing link, the under performing stud from the C.C Sabathia trade. :biggrin:... Kiddin aside, he is playing a bit better at the plate lately and if he can get some solid rhythm going finally add a RH element to the daily line-up. Something that we will need to push this sucker out.

Bottomline - When Matty hits the tribe wins
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Tondo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:59 pm

We got lucky on the LaPorta bloop...but hey, well deserved

Btw, freaking Austin Jackson robbed A.Jones off a HR with an even greater catch than the 1 in the series closer yesterday...in the BOT 8th with a 5-4 lead, unreal
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Well.. as per usual.. Carl Pavano had the Indians hittings swinging at change ups when they thought they were fastballs and watching fastballs go by when the Indians hitters thought they were getting change ups.. It's uncanny the way he can completely befuddle these guys...

Masterson pitched another gem and got the better side of the resulst..a no decision instead of a loss. The W for the team was nice.. IDK why Masterson was still in the game when Nishioka was at bat.. It just doesn't make sense..

Almost 32K for the game tonight.. not a bad crowd.. they got to see a last at bat win.. and fireworks..

Onward to game two tomorrow evening.. should continue to be a fun series... :drinks:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:18 am

Yeah, Geronimo, I was screaming at Acta to bring in Perez with two on and two out in the 8th with Masterson having thrown 115 pitches and Nishioka at the plate. Sure enough, he stays with Masterson and Nishi drives in the tying run. Another example of Acta going too long with his starter. What's the point of having a Raffie Perez in the pen if you're not going to bring him in to face a tough left-handed hitter with the game on the line and your starter gassed?

Fortunately the Twins helped us out with some abysmal infield defense. And that LaPorta bloop should have been caught as well. A lucky win but we'll take it.

Nice recovery by Santana. He airmailed a throw into center which helped the Twins score their first run, then threw out the next two base stealers with perfect throws and finished it off with a clutch double to put the Tribe in the lead. Good game overall. He's hitting .300 right-handed and .207 left-handed. I've been wondering if he should scrap switch-hitting and just hit right-handed all the time. Acta says he's gotten pull-happy from the left side, so he needs to get away from that.

Masterson's ERA is below 3.00 and he just keeps pitching well every start. He has emerged as one of the top ten starters in the AL in my opinion.

The big news was the return of Choo. He looked good, lining a single and driving a ball to the wall in deep left center. However, he was too anxious in his biggest at-bat, swinging at three pitches out of the zone and striking out with the bases loaded and one out in the 7th.

When Grady gets back I honestly don't know if I'd rather sit Carerra down or Fukudome. I'm just not seeing much out of Fuku since he got here, and I love Zeke's speed.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 am

I have to say that Carlos Santana at-bats don't cause me the anxiety that they used to. There's still plenty of room for improvement from the left side, but I think he's been using the whole field much more from both sides. He's also been more aggressive lately, which probably isn't a bad thing for him, especially when he's hitting... it's not like I'd worry about him ever completely losing his plate discipline -- he still has the 5th highest walk rate in the majors.

Over his last 17 games (since the start of the Angels series), Santana has put up a line of .318/.370/.591. His season OBP has only risen 1 point over that stretch, but his batting average has jumped 15 points and his slugging 30 points in that time. Even since his dreadful April, there's not much room to complain about his .250/.362/.461 line over 87 games.

I didn't realize just how selective some of Cleveland's hitters are until looking up some of Santana's stats... the Indians have 3 of the 7 hitters in the majors who swing at lowest percentage of pitches -- Santana (36.7 - 4th fewest), Kosuke Fukudome (37.3 - T-5th) and Michael Brantley (37.5 - 7th).
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:00 pm

I forgot to give a shout out to Chris Perez. Rage has really been struggling lately, and I have to admit I was expecting at least a blown save and probably a blown game when he came in to face 2-3-4 in the 9th, which includes Mauer and Morneau. But he blew right through them for a no-drama save, and looked pretty good doing it.

That being said, Mauer and Morneau are a shadow of their normal selves. Who'd have believed they would only have 5 HRs and 46 RBIs between them in mid-August? Mauer has become a .284 singles hitter and Morneau is at .221/.608. Now that I said that, they'll probably combine for seven hits and nine RBIs tonight.

The Tribe is lucky Cuddyer got hurt since he's leading the Twins in every offensive category. Hope his stiff neck lingers for a couple more days. It would also be great if Repko's hammy keeps him out until Monday. His replacement Matt Tolbert is hitting .212/.546 and his range at second base would even embarass OCab. By all means, I hope they stick with Nishioka at SS, that is if Pavano didn't beat him to death with a Gatorade cooler after the game. I'm expecting a lot of ground balls by the Tribe tonight with a soft-tosser going for the Twins.

Speaking for former Tribesmen, some fans finally got their wish as Austin Kearns was DFA'd. It was well past time for him to go, but I wish him the best. With Buck, OCab and now Kearns gone, most of the dead wood on the roster has been set adrift.

Tonight we get one of those soft tossing lefties that always gives the Tribe fits. This could be another close, low-scoring affair. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the Tribe and the Browns/Packers. Can't wait to see the Browns again.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Yes.. a soft tossing lefty that can give the Indians fits.. the patience of Job is needed..

As far as the Browns go, what's there to see..

Oh..a new coach !

Oh..a new system!

Oh..the same thing for the fourth time since 1999.. 5-11 Browns fans.. woo hoo!!.

btw.. if you do the same thing over and over while expecting different results.. you're not crazy.. you're a browns fan!!
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
Tonight we get one of those soft tossing lefties that always gives the Tribe fits. This could be another close, low-scoring affair. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the Tribe and the Browns/Packers. Can't wait to see the Browns again.


Prosecutor, - and all closet Browns fans - We are in a MLB pennant race. It's a rare thing. It certainly doesn't happen often in Cleveland. Watch the Indians game tonight with your friends and family. Hell, go to the game. It might be something to tell your decedents about the storybook season of 2011.

This is a team of kids that are over-achievers. Something the Browns have never been accused of.
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Yeah, Geronimo, I was screaming at Acta to bring in Perez with two on and two out in the 8th with Masterson having thrown 115 pitches and Nishioka at the plate. Sure enough, he stays with Masterson and Nishi drives in the tying run. Another example of Acta going too long with his starter. What's the point of having a Raffie Perez in the pen if you're not going to bring him in to face a tough left-handed hitter with the game on the line and your starter gassed?


yeah that's a HUGE stretch. Nishioka is batting line is .224/.268/.251/.519 with a 46 OPS+. If that's a "tough" lefty then I'd hate to see what an easy lefty looks like. Hell, Adam Everett had a higher OPS+ than that.

That said, I too was surprised he left him in. I understand it (wanted to get him the win), but you could tell Masterson was out of gas.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby go_tribe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:47 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:
Tonight we get one of those soft tossing lefties that always gives the Tribe fits. This could be another close, low-scoring affair. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the Tribe and the Browns/Packers. Can't wait to see the Browns again.


Prosecutor, - and all closet Browns fans - We are in a MLB pennant race. It's a rare thing. It certainly doesn't happen often in Cleveland. Watch the Indians game tonight with your friends and family. Hell, go to the game. It might be something to tell your decedents about the storybook season of 2011.

This is a team of kids that are over-achievers. Something the Browns have never been accused of.


Actually this is a team of under-achievers. With the talent in this line-up, there shouldn't be a problem scoring runs EVER.

Only guys I see on the entire roster as over-achievers are Pestano and Tomlin
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Yeah, Geronimo, I was screaming at Acta to bring in Perez with two on and two out in the 8th with Masterson having thrown 115 pitches and Nishioka at the plate. Sure enough, he stays with Masterson and Nishi drives in the tying run. Another example of Acta going too long with his starter. What's the point of having a Raffie Perez in the pen if you're not going to bring him in to face a tough left-handed hitter with the game on the line and your starter gassed?


yeah that's a HUGE stretch. Nishioka is batting line is .224/.268/.251/.519 with a 46 OPS+. If that's a "tough" lefty then I'd hate to see what an easy lefty looks like. Hell, Adam Everett had a higher OPS+ than that.

That said, I too was surprised he left him in. I understand it (wanted to get him the win), but you could tell Masterson was out of gas.

+1... while he hasn't been the automatic out that he's been the rest of the season, Nishioka should never be described as a tough hitter. Unfortunately, Nishioka didn't need to be tough there... Masterson had nothing left and put a bp pitch in the worst spot possible to a bucket-foot lefty. The offense (and Minnesota's weak defense) finally came through, but these are games that Acta can't afford to let slip away, so hopefully that reminds him to be more cautious next time.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Yeah, Geronimo, I was screaming at Acta to bring in Perez with two on and two out in the 8th with Masterson having thrown 115 pitches and Nishioka at the plate. Sure enough, he stays with Masterson and Nishi drives in the tying run. Another example of Acta going too long with his starter. What's the point of having a Raffie Perez in the pen if you're not going to bring him in to face a tough left-handed hitter with the game on the line and your starter gassed?


yeah that's a HUGE stretch. Nishioka is batting line is .224/.268/.251/.519 with a 46 OPS+. If that's a "tough" lefty then I'd hate to see what an easy lefty looks like. Hell, Adam Everett had a higher OPS+ than that.

That said, I too was surprised he left him in. I understand it (wanted to get him the win), but you could tell Masterson was out of gas.


When I referred to Nishioa as a "tough lefty", I meant that he came into last night's game with a seven-game hitting streak. He's been tough lately, hitting .321 so far in August. When he faced Masterson early in the game he lined a single to left to drive in the first Twins run.

I guess I should have described him as a "hot" lefty because he's hot right now. At least everybody agrees that Manny should not have left Masterson in to face him in that situation. The one complaint I have about Manny this year is he tends to leave his starters in too long. My rule is - if you walk the leadoff hitter in the 7th inning or later you're gone.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Prosecutor wrote:When I referred to Nishioa as a "tough lefty", I meant that he came into last night's game with a seven-game hitting streak. He's been tough lately, hitting .321 so far in August. When he faced Masterson early in the game he lined a single to left to drive in the first Twins run.

I guess I should have described him as a "hot" lefty because he's hot right now. At least everybody agrees that Manny should not have left Masterson in to face him in that situation. The one complaint I have about Manny this year is he tends to leave his starters in too long. My rule is - if you walk the leadoff hitter in the 7th inning or later you're gone.


Fair enough. Just an FYI though......Masterson did not walk the leadoff batter in the 7th or 8th inning. he struck out Kubel to lead off the 8th. Thome was the 2nd batter. He then got a double play grounder to short...unfortunately Young was runnign on the play and AC was pulled out of position. I actually thought it was the right move to leave Masterson in to face Valencia there. righty on righty and Masterson's sinker is perfect to get the DP there. Give credit to Gardy there for starting the runner. If he doesn't, Acta looks very smart there as Masterson gets out of that inning right there.

also, maybe it looked different on TV but from where I was sitting at the game it sure looked like Kipnis could have tagged Valencia and gotten Revere at 1B is he'd have tried doing that instead of going home to get Young. Not blaming Kipnis here though, did a nice job preventing a run and guessing he was told to go home with it since Revere is so face (as seen in the 3rd). Hard to make that quick a decision, especially for a rookie.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:42 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:
Tonight we get one of those soft tossing lefties that always gives the Tribe fits. This could be another close, low-scoring affair. I'll be bouncing back and forth between the Tribe and the Browns/Packers. Can't wait to see the Browns again.


Prosecutor, - and all closet Browns fans - We are in a MLB pennant race. It's a rare thing. It certainly doesn't happen often in Cleveland. Watch the Indians game tonight with your friends and family. Hell, go to the game. It might be something to tell your decedents about the storybook season of 2011.

This is a team of kids that are over-achievers. Something the Browns have never been accused of.


Don't you have to be dead to be a decedent? :s_dunno
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Hermie13 wrote: also, maybe it looked different on TV but from where I was sitting at the game it sure looked like Kipnis could have tagged Valencia and gotten Revere at 1B is he'd have tried doing that instead of going home to get Young. Not blaming Kipnis here though, did a nice job preventing a run and guessing he was told to go home with it since Revere is so face (as seen in the 3rd). Hard to make that quick a decision, especially for a rookie.


No, the ball was a high hopper and Kipnis was at least three or four steps away from Valencia.. His best play was to cut the runner down at the plate as he was not going to be able to turn the DP..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:00 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote: also, maybe it looked different on TV but from where I was sitting at the game it sure looked like Kipnis could have tagged Valencia and gotten Revere at 1B is he'd have tried doing that instead of going home to get Young. Not blaming Kipnis here though, did a nice job preventing a run and guessing he was told to go home with it since Revere is so face (as seen in the 3rd). Hard to make that quick a decision, especially for a rookie.


No, the ball was a high hopper and Kipnis was at least three or four steps away from Valencia.. His best play was to cut the runner down at the plate as he was not going to be able to turn the DP..


Watching on TV, it looked like Valencia had stopped and was heading back to 1B to stop that from happening.

With how well Revere runs, you have to go home on that play.

You wouldn't expect Masty to groove one against Ni-shit-oka though.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby artgold » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:02 am

Nice outing by Tomlin, his consistency is remarkable.

I am impressed with his last two outings, after getting hit around a bit the prior few starts. Shows he still has that great ability to adjust, and right himself when beginning to struggle.

I thought he'd be a decent major league pitcher, even a few years ago. However, he is exceeding what I thought he'd do in the majors, and likely will continue to be a pretty impressive fellow.

Shame we can't put his brain in Carmona's head.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:35 am

The Orioles certainly haven't offered any help this weekend, blowing multiple late chances to tie the game against Detroit Friday night (including ending the game with the tying run on 3rd), and then blowing a 5-0 lead on Saturday (Jeremy Guthrie gave up a 5-run rally with 2 out in the 6th). Sunday's match-ups look like huge advantages for both the Tigers and White Sox:

Doug Fister (4-12, 3.37) vs. Jo-Jo Reyes (5-9, 5.49)
Jeff Francis (4-12, 4.51) vs. John Danks (4-9, 4.00)... Danks has actually been one of the top pitchers in the league over the past 2 months.

...Indians can't take a day off and the offense needs to stop wasting so many opportunities (6 runs on 22 hits this weekend)... finish the sweep.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:51 am

Pork Chop Pough wrote:...Indians can't take a day off and the offense needs to stop wasting so many opportunities (6 runs on 22 hits this weekend)... finish the sweep.


Amen. Too many two-out singles. Also, not many home runs lately. That jack by ACab was the difference. Another soft-tossing lefty baffles the Tribe. Fortunately he made one bad pitch at the wrong time.

Slowey has only pitched 14 innings for the Twins this year and will be making his first start of the season. He's been pretty decent the last three years, winning 35 games in 71 starts. He must have been injured this year. He's right-handed and has a 4.43 career ERA, so he's one of those guys who wins more games than you would expect based on his numbers. Like Pork said, he's been tough against the Tribe.

Huff should benefit from the fact that Mauer, Morneau, and Kubel all hit left-handed, and Nishioka looked pathetic last night hitting right-handed. Hopefully Cuddyer is still out.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:08 am

The finale of this series, a matinee game, (no puppies shitting all over the jake.. no bobbleheads.. no fireworks.. etc) needs to be the "cherry on top". The indians will have the full compliment of LH batters and will have their own Lefty starting..

The whiner and pouter that Slowey has been rumored to be over not wanting to help his team by pitching out of the pen followed by two ailments..has, without a doubt, resulted in angering the Baseball Gods!.. Those same baseball gods will be putting thunder in that ash and maple bats of the Sons of Geronimo this afternoon..

in other words....look for a laugher.. :drinks:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 am

This may only be interesting to me (I know how much everyone enjoys hearing about other people's fantasy baseball teams :rolleyes: ), but it's funny how much the outlook of a prospect can change after they reach the majors...

I was in a pretty deep/competitive strato league a few years ago, and in January 2007 I drafted two 23 year old AAA pitchers with my first two picks. The 1st rounder was Kevin Slowey and it was met with approval as a consensus pick -- Slowey wasn't considered a big-time future star, but was considered Minnesota's "next Radke" at the time. My second pick was Ubaldo Jimenez, and everyone criticized me for over-drafting a Colorado pitcher who only threw hard.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby danh8 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 am

artgold wrote:Nice outing by Tomlin, his consistency is remarkable.

I am impressed with his last two outings, after getting hit around a bit the prior few starts. Shows he still has that great ability to adjust, and right himself when beginning to struggle.

I thought he'd be a decent major league pitcher, even a few years ago. However, he is exceeding what I thought he'd do in the majors, and likely will continue to be a pretty impressive fellow.

Shame we can't put his brain in Carmona's head.



Can anyone explain the reasoning behind the lack of confidence in Tomlin once he gets over the 80 pitch threshold ? The last two starts he's been around 85 pitches, and once he gets two on base, Acta pulls him both times. Once with a four hit shutout in the 8th inning, and then last night with a three hit shutout in the 7th. Seems like Acta has far less patience with Tomlin than he does with other pitchers in our rotation...
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:21 am

danh8 wrote:
artgold wrote:Nice outing by Tomlin, his consistency is remarkable.

I am impressed with his last two outings, after getting hit around a bit the prior few starts. Shows he still has that great ability to adjust, and right himself when beginning to struggle.

I thought he'd be a decent major league pitcher, even a few years ago. However, he is exceeding what I thought he'd do in the majors, and likely will continue to be a pretty impressive fellow.

Shame we can't put his brain in Carmona's head.



Can anyone explain the reasoning behind the lack of confidence in Tomlin once he gets over the 80 pitch threshold ? The last two starts he's been around 85 pitches, and once he gets two on base, Acta pulls him both times. Once with a four hit shutout in the 8th inning, and then last night with a three hit shutout in the 7th. Seems like Acta has far less patience with Tomlin than he does with other pitchers in our rotation...


IDK that it's a lack of confidence. Acta seems to treat each separate pitcher in a consistent manner, not the same, mind you, but, for example..whenever Josh Tomlin gets into the 90 pitch level and the game has gone into the 6th inning or more.. he's pulled.. every time..regardless of how well he's pitching. Pitchers, contrary to popular belief.. aren't the sharpest pencils in the drawer.. so developing and maintaining a routine is usually the most effective means to achieve consistent results.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:25 am

Kipnis out today with undisclosed injury. He says he doesn't think it's serious. To me, that sounds ominous.
User avatar
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Quickly 1-0 Tribe in the bottom of the 1st.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:47 pm

No reason to start this game on time. Rediculous. Just cost Huff a start.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 pm

This game will be washed out (relatively small gathering of fans..too; perhaps if it's rescheduled for late September, the game might have significantly greater importance.. and by then.. the Browns will be mathematically eliminated from any chance of contending..again).. that big dark cloud that is dumping prodigious amounts of water on Progressive Field is just sitting there and spinning.. Ah well..the Indians and Twins see each other often enough to make this one up..

As far as Huff's start goes.. yeah.. shame he's unable to continue due to the weather..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Well. after over two hours of being delayed.. the game has officially been washed out.. smh...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:55 pm

What a shame. Slowey was up to about 35 pitches after two innings while Huff blew away four of the six batters he faced. He was dealing big time. Also, Cuddyer was still out and Mauer was not in the lineup.

The only good thing is that Kipnis and Brantley will get an extra day to rest and probably won't miss the makeup game.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Prosecutor wrote:What a shame. Slowey was up to about 35 pitches after two innings while Huff blew away four of the six batters he faced. He was dealing big time. Also, Cuddyer was still out and Mauer was not in the lineup.

The only good thing is that Kipnis and Brantley will get an extra day to rest and probably won't miss the makeup game.

Maybe not the only good thing. We have a whole lot more pitching depth than Minnesota and I can see some nice additions from Columbus by the time the makeup game happens. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 am

Apparently the Indians plan to treat the rotation just the same as it was prior to the rain-out -- Huff will wait until next Saturday to take his regular turn in the rotation. If Huff had been pitching like a typical 5th starter, it's a no-brainer, but I could be convinced either way now. Does anyone have a preference?

Match-ups with regular rotation:
Tues. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Gavin Floyd
Wed. - Fausto Carmona vs. Mark Buehrle
Thurs. - Justin Masterson vs. Philip Humber
Fri. - Josh Tomlin vs. Max Scherzer
Sat. - David Huff vs. Doug Fister
Sun. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Rick Porcello

Match-ups if reinserting Huff:
Tues. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Gavin Floyd
Wed. - David Huff* vs. Mark Buehrle
Thurs. - Fausto Carmona* vs. Philip Humber
Fri. - Justin Masterson vs. Max Scherzer
Sat. - Josh Tomlin vs. Doug Fister
Sun. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Rick Porcello

*The starts of Huff and Carmona could be shuffled (last week Masterson came back 3 days later, pitching as if the rained out start was a bullpen session. Treating Huff the same would line him up for Wednesday, but with Monday off, it should also be plausible to pitch him Thursday).
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:What a shame. Slowey was up to about 35 pitches after two innings while Huff blew away four of the six batters he faced. He was dealing big time. Also, Cuddyer was still out and Mauer was not in the lineup.

The only good thing is that Kipnis and Brantley will get an extra day to rest and probably won't miss the makeup game.

Maybe not the only good thing. We have a whole lot more pitching depth than Minnesota and I can see some nice additions from Columbus by the time the makeup game happens. :pleasantry:

The Twins don't come back to Progressive Field until that last ten days of the season. With one of the Mariners games and a CWSox doubleheader already scheduled as make up dates, this will give the Indians something like 18 games in 16 days to end the season.

The added games and the roster expanding could have a dramatic effect on the final outcome of the central division with September call ups having a significant bearing on the games...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 am

Yeah, September is going to be a grind. Santana will be playing more first base than normal because of the lack of off-days and a couple of doubleheaders. Lou Marson will get more playing time, which should help the pitching staff.

Getting Jason Donald back is big because you can't expect Astrubal to play 18 games in 16 days. He's had no rest this year. If Grady can be ready to go for the stretch drive that would be a big help.

Fortunately the starters have been going deep into games which will save the bullpen. We also have a couple of relievers in Columbus who are having excellent seasons and should be able to eat some innings. All in all we're in pretty good shape. I was hoping Nick Johnson would be ready to play by now but it's not looking like it.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 am

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Apparently the Indians plan to treat the rotation just the same as it was prior to the rain-out -- Huff will wait until next Saturday to take his regular turn in the rotation. If Huff had been pitching like a typical 5th starter, it's a no-brainer, but I could be convinced either way now. Does anyone have a preference?

Match-ups with regular rotation:
Tues. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Gavin Floyd
Wed. - Fausto Carmona vs. Mark Buehrle
Thurs. - Justin Masterson vs. Philip Humber
Fri. - Josh Tomlin vs. Max Scherzer
Sat. - David Huff vs. Doug Fister
Sun. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Rick Porcello

Match-ups if reinserting Huff:
Tues. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Gavin Floyd
Wed. - David Huff* vs. Mark Buehrle
Thurs. - Fausto Carmona* vs. Philip Humber
Fri. - Justin Masterson vs. Max Scherzer
Sat. - Josh Tomlin vs. Doug Fister
Sun. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Rick Porcello

*The starts of Huff and Carmona could be shuffled (last week Masterson came back 3 days later, pitching as if the rained out start was a bullpen session. Treating Huff the same would line him up for Wednesday, but with Monday off, it should also be plausible to pitch him Thursday).


Most importantly, it appears as if we are going to miss Verlander. :drinks:
ChadS17
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Yeah, September is going to be a grind. Santana will be playing more first base than normal because of the lack of off-days and a couple of doubleheaders. Lou Marson will get more playing time, which should help the pitching staff.

Getting Jason Donald back is big because you can't expect Astrubal to play 18 games in 16 days. He's had no rest this year. If Grady can be ready to go for the stretch drive that would be a big help.

Fortunately the starters have been going deep into games which will save the bullpen. We also have a couple of relievers in Columbus who are having excellent seasons and should be able to eat some innings. All in all we're in pretty good shape. I was hoping Nick Johnson would be ready to play by now but it's not looking like it.

Hi P, I am pretty sure that 9/1 thru the end of the Clips playoff participation will give the Indians some IF help, an extra OF RH bat and a load of ML experienced SPs and RPs as needed. No reason to keep Nick Johnson in Columbus or Duncan either. Johnson could be useful for his defense and Duncan and Neal as RH bats. My guess is that Cord Phelps is making the drive on 9/1 as well. Akron isn't going anywhere so Diaz might as well get playoff experience. I think we have a well stocked Columbus team with useful players. With Columbus' pitching and its "old guys", they might hang around long enough to keep pitchers working until needed. But the Cleveland regulars need some rest, especially Santana and Cabrera. The midseason callups can use some time off as well. Ideally, you would not need these guys but they are nice to have with the Indians still in contention. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:03 pm

ChadS17 wrote:
Pork Chop Pough wrote:Apparently the Indians plan to treat the rotation just the same as it was prior to the rain-out -- Huff will wait until next Saturday to take his regular turn in the rotation. If Huff had been pitching like a typical 5th starter, it's a no-brainer, but I could be convinced either way now. Does anyone have a preference?

Match-ups with regular rotation:
Tues. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Gavin Floyd
Wed. - Fausto Carmona vs. Mark Buehrle
Thurs. - Justin Masterson vs. Philip Humber
Fri. - Josh Tomlin vs. Max Scherzer
Sat. - David Huff vs. Doug Fister
Sun. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Rick Porcello

Match-ups if reinserting Huff:
Tues. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Gavin Floyd
Wed. - David Huff* vs. Mark Buehrle
Thurs. - Fausto Carmona* vs. Philip Humber
Fri. - Justin Masterson vs. Max Scherzer
Sat. - Josh Tomlin vs. Doug Fister
Sun. - Ubaldo Jimenez vs. Rick Porcello

*The starts of Huff and Carmona could be shuffled (last week Masterson came back 3 days later, pitching as if the rained out start was a bullpen session. Treating Huff the same would line him up for Wednesday, but with Monday off, it should also be plausible to pitch him Thursday).


Most importantly, it appears as if we are going to miss Verlander. :drinks:


Verlander's pitching tomorrow so, his regular rest would have him available for Sunday. I would be shocked if the Tigers didn't pitch him in the Tribe series.

He was originally slated not to pitch in the last series, but Leyland juggled his rotation so that he would.... he's bound to do the same this time round - especially with how badly we spanked Porcello last time out.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:18 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Most importantly, it appears as if we are going to miss Verlander. :drinks:


Actually, Pork Chop had it incorrect. Verlander starts tomorrow....which would put him right in line to start on Sunday against the Indians. Porcello and everyone else likely moved back a day to allow Verlander to start on Sunday or they just skip the starter who was scheduled for this Thursday (off day).
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Minnesota Twins at Cleveland Indians August 12-14th

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 pm

MLB.com doesn't give probable starters that far in advance, and all the other major sites are simply projecting the 5-man rotations across the schedule (don't see any news from Detriot about this yet), which would put Porcello in place to start on Sunday. However, I agree that with Detroit being off on Thursday, there's little chance Cleveland avoids Verlander on Sunday. At least they won't be able to completely avoid using Brad Penny (against the Twins/Pavano) this week, but they could skip any of Scherzer, Fister or Porcello.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm


Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron