RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Chris Perez Discussion

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Chris Perez Discussion

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:07 am

I think it's time to sit down and have a talk about Chris Perez.

Chris Perez through twitter:

"For all you keyboard-tuff guys know this: baseball is what I do, not who I am. If twitter trash talking got to us players mentally we wouldn't be here in the first place. You're just another legion ball coach telling me I will never play in college let alone the MLB. The day I let people get inside this mind is the day I retire."

I'm rooting for the guy don't get me wrong and I agree that it's stupid for people to send hate his way via twitter. But don't you guys think that if he feels the need to make a public statement about people getting inside his head, it's too late and they already are? Perez seems like a nice guy but as soon as he blew this save I knew he was going to react via twitter. He probably knocked over some Gatorade jugs or chairs in the dugout too if I had to guess. I hate to consider this as a knock on a guy, but I feel like Chris Perez might care too much what people think. Some athletes just should avoid social media and avoid reading the news because the only thing that can really come out of it is negativity.

Chris Perez has some really nasty stuff but is he too much of a headcase? Sometimes he can get a little wild and dig himself into these holes and you can see he wears his emotions on his sleeve. It's cool to have a bulldog in the mound but sometimes you just have to shake it off and move on to the next game.

Can this be fixed, or should we be worried?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Re: Chris Perez Discussion

Postby ChadS17 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:24 am

Can only imagine if Fausto had a Twitter account.... :biggrin:
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:40 am

Young players make mistakes and struggle. Our strength in is players who are not yet fully ready for prime time. That is why the winners have veterans.

Somehow I knew the combination of Hamilton and Young was deadly. Their starts produced late in the game when it was all on the line. Ours did not - we did not score after I believe the 3rd inning.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby ironmike » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:56 am

Even though Perez has had success he still throws to many "meatballs" in possible breaking ball situations. Instead of trying to throw the ball past every hitter all the time in critical situations he needs to know when a breaking ball down in the zone or change up can be far more effective. Young was sitting "dead red" on his fastball. Perez's mindset is always the strike out, but keeping hitters off balance is key to getting ML hitters out in critical situations. Disappointing loss.

Hopefully with time Perez will learn to be more of a pitcher than thrower. He's good, but not yet the caliber of Bob Wickman or Doug Jones who knew how to keep the hitters off balance.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Perez is a little concerning, but should be given every opportunity to turn it around. Long term I am not too worried as we have a couple guys who might be able to assert themself in the closer role at some point if need be.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Here are my thoughts on Chris Perez, and it's purely statistics related:

His K rates has dropped from 10.74 in 2009, to a pitiful 5.90 here in 2011, while his BB rate has spiked to 4.31 from an even 4.00 last season.

Since 2008, his FB% has steadily risen, and if you aren't striking people out, and walking a near career high, that's a recipe for disaster.

A drop in velocity: He has yet to post an AVG Fastball speed above 95 this season, while he did that at least 25 times last season. Perez himself said he's at his best when his fastball rests at 95, and he clearly hasn't been at his best at all this season.

Now for the sabermetric crowd: He's posting an xFIP of close to 4.91. His ERA is steadily climbing, which now stands at 3.40. It appears that he's regressing to his true talent level of a poor middle reliever. To put it in perspective, Frank Hermann has an ERA of 4.93, but has an xFIP of 4.70. Pretty even in terms of his true talent level, which is a middle reliever.

I certainly hope he figures himself out, because he's an expensive reliever as it is, and he's only going to get richer this offseason due to arbitration.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Perez is talented, but frustrating nonetheless. Perez hasn't been 100 % this yr. Perhaps he should have been shut down earlier in the season when it was reported he had an injury although I don't recall what it was.

The closer role is something that we could see slip away from Perez at some point in time. With the likes of Hagadone, Putnam, Lee and Judy pushing for time and with Perez continuing to get more expensive and also struggling for consistency change maybe brewing. If not late in the season than potentially sometime next season. Perez is controllable for the next few yrs but if he continues to struggle and become more expensive the Tribe will consider moving him. All this can be fixed with a healthy offseason and some looks at his mechanics with Belcher.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Magneticnorth451 wrote:Here are my thoughts on Chris Perez, and it's purely statistics related:

His K rates has dropped from 10.74 in 2009, to a pitiful 5.90 here in 2011, while his BB rate has spiked to 4.31 from an even 4.00 last season.

Since 2008, his FB% has steadily risen, and if you aren't striking people out, and walking a near career high, that's a recipe for disaster.

A drop in velocity: He has yet to post an AVG Fastball speed above 95 this season, while he did that at least 25 times last season. Perez himself said he's at his best when his fastball rests at 95, and he clearly hasn't been at his best at all this season.

Now for the sabermetric crowd: He's posting an xFIP of close to 4.91. His ERA is steadily climbing, which now stands at 3.40. It appears that he's regressing to his true talent level of a poor middle reliever. To put it in perspective, Frank Hermann has an ERA of 4.93, but has an xFIP of 4.70. Pretty even in terms of his true talent level, which is a middle reliever.

I certainly hope he figures himself out, because he's an expensive reliever as it is, and he's only going to get richer this offseason due to arbitration.

This is why in all honesty I am up for trading him this off season, you might get lucky and get a team like STL which has no CL to over pay. I like the guy and think he is entertaining, but his all star appearance and saves will make arb more than hes worth. I think Vinny P can close, and next Lee, Hagadone, Judy, Putnam, Byrson, and Stowell are all on the cusp
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Absolutely agree Perez is a commodity the Tribe may not be able to afford or frankly need. With the depth in the system I don't think he's necessary. I like Perez but he's expendable IMO.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:43 am

Great analysis, Magneticnorth. He's definitely lost the edge off his fastball and you don't need the radar gun to see it. He doesn't have a good enough breaking ball to compensate. I don't know what's going on and whether we should be concerned. He was 22-for-24 in save situations before his recent problems, so he was finding a way to get it done. We're seeing fewer K's and more line drives to infielders and fly balls to the warning track, though, and that's a big concern.

Nobody hates you, Chris, we're all pulling for you. We're just wondering why you're not the same pitcher you were the last couple of years.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 am

jellis wrote: This is why in all honesty I am up for trading him this off season, you might get lucky and get a team like STL which has no CL to over pay. I like the guy and think he is entertaining, but his all star appearance and saves will make arb more than hes worth. I think Vinny P can close, and next Lee, Hagadone, Judy, Putnam, Byrson, and Stowell are all on the cusp

I would have loved the Indians to fleece St. Louis for Colby Rasmus, but Toronto has already done that. I'm sure there are other teams that will overvalue a closer, though!
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Sol Solis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:09 pm

I think that some of Perez's struggles stem from his lack of command/sharpness of his slider this year. To me it looks like he can't control it as well as he used to and often it just seems like he can't get as much bite to it. I also think he knows it and tries to just pitch with his fastball. I know that a lot of people (Tony included) have said that he still has that same 93-95 velocity that he used to but it looks like he's overthrowing to get there to compensate.

If I had to guess I'd say Perez got pretty taxed from last year and maybe didn't keep in as good as shape as he should have last offseason and it's affecting his performance this year. Only time will tell if he can recover his former dominance, but it wouldn't be the first time a reliever was dominant one year and then just was never quite the same again.
Sol Solis
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Chip Davis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:25 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Absolutely agree Perez is a commodity the Tribe may not be able to afford or frankly need. With the depth in the system I don't think he's necessary. I like Perez but he's expendable IMO.

I could defenitely see Bryson or Stowell doing just as well or better, maybe even Hagadone but I'd rather they put him back into the rotation 1 more time to see if his control translates.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Return to Beyond The Minors