RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Kansas City Royals at Indians, July 29-31st

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Kansas City Royals at Indians, July 29-31st

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Indians at Royals, July 29th-31st
Posted by Geronimo's Son » Friday, July 29th, 2011 7:25 pm

Entering the series...
Indians: 52-50, 2nd place in Central with a 1½ game deficit. 28-22 at home. 3-7 in last 10.
Royals: 44-61, last place in Central, 11 GB of the Tigers. 16-32 on he road. 6-4 in last 10.
The Indians come into this series against the Royals after being no hit by Ervin Santana and the Angels. The previous three series have seen the Indians split two four game series followed by losing the series to the Angels 1-2. The Indians score just five runs in three games against the Angels and are desperately searching to improve the offense. The Royals just finished splitting a four game mid week series against the vaunted Boston Red Sox after dashing the hopes of the Tampa Rays in the weekend series 2-1 and, before that, crushing the hopes of the CWSox in another 2-1 series win. To say the Royals are taking on the role of Central Division Spoiler would be an understatement. Here's what we will be seeing during this weekend series:

Friday, 7:05 ET
Carlos Carrasco, RHP (8-8, 4.25) vs. Jeff Francis, LHP (3-11 4.65)

Both starters come into this game not having won in the month of July. Carrasco appears to have gotten over the "bump in the road" as his last two starts were both 6+ inning and 3 earned runs or less allowed. His confidence in his fastball appear to be the key. He does, however, still have command issues as his misses are too frequently over the heart of the plate. In Carrasco's last start. a single pitch to Carlos Quentin resulted in a three run homer and a 3-0 loss to the CWSox. Avoiding this kind of "mistake" is key to Carrasco's success this evening. Jeff Francis' last start against the Rays was less than a thing of beauty. He hung around while scattering nine hits and left with a no decision. He pitched poor enough to earn the loss. Francis is the epitome of a junk baller. Indians hitters must be patient and not swing at his assortment of garbage in order to mount an offense. Could be a changeable weather night at the corner of Ontario and Carnegie tonight..

Saturday, 8:10 ET
Justin Masterson, RHP (8-7, 2.57) vs. Felipe Paulino, RHP (1-8, 4.54)

Justin Masterson has been one of the top five pitchers in the AL during the 2011 season. His only issue is not picking the right day to pitch. During his last three starts covering 20.2 IP, he is 1-1 with a 2.18 ERA and 20 K's. He goes deep into every start and should be able to do so again against these tough hitting Royals. Felipe Paulino is a recently (9 total starts in 2011) converted starter for the Royals. Paulino will not walk many batters. He will make you put the ball in play. He pitches to contact and gives up runs, but limits the damage. His mentality as a reliever serves him well in this regard.

Sunday. 1:05 ET
Fasuto Carmona, RHP (5-10, 5.34) vs. Kyle Davies, RHP (1-9, 6.75) or Danny Duffy LHP (2-4 5.17)

On paper, this looks like a battle of bad versus worse. As this is "trade deadline" day, the tone of the game could be somewhat altered. Fausto Carmona is coming off three solid outings including six innings of shut out ball against the Angels in a no decision. Fausto has almost completely eliminated the slider from his repertoire, a GOOD THING, imho. Kyle Davies is starting for the Royals because, basically, they don't have anyone else that would be better than lousy. His last outing against the Red Sox might be the best of his career going six while allowing only one run. There is nothing spectacular about the way Davies pitches. He's a journeyman SP that should be handled.

NOTES:
• The Royals scored 36 runs over their last seven games against the big bad AL East (Rays and Red Sox) while allowing 40. The Royals were able to take four of the seven games. This is clear indication that the Royals can be explosive when they have their hitting shoes on.. It also means the Royals pitching staff can be arsonists when it comes to putting out fires.
• KC's starters this year have the worst record among all AL teams. The KC Bullpen has been over used and beaten down by short outings from the starting pitching. Getting to the pen will be a priority for the Indians during this weekend series.
• Kansas City called up of their top prospects, 21-year-old 1B Eric Hosmer and 3B Mike Moustakas, has breathed some excitement into the clubhouse. They youthful enthusiasm is contagious. The entire club shows signs of coming together as a unit for the first time since the Royal's early/hot start.
• Cleveland has won seven of the nine meetings against the Royals this season.
• The Indians acquired Kosuke Fukudome from the Cubs and expect him to be in the lineup tonight against the Royals.

Central Division Watch:
-Detroit is at home to continue their four game series against the Angels. The Tigers lost game one in a slugfest, 12-7. Friday night's tilt will see Rick Porcello and the Tigers having the picket fence run on them by Tyler "Jimmy Chitwood"...
-the CWSox host the Boston Red Sox for a three game series with Crusty Old Man Tim Wakefield facing Gavin Floyd in the opener at the Cell on Friday
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Re: Kansas City Royals at Indians, July 29-31st

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 pm

First inning complete.. Carlos Carrasco with his usual mistake pitches that back up over the plate and are up.. sliders that hang like frisbees that say HIT ME HARD.. Marson needs to STOP CALLING THE SLIDER until Car-Car can get command of his fastball, down in the zone..

Indians at bats.. okay.. The battle Droobs put up was pretty good.. Francis really doesn't have the stuff to shut anyone down.. if the batters are patient..

Onward into the second inning...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:49 pm

3 - 0 Royals. Game over?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Game over!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Tondo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:34 pm

...and this after being no-hit and off day...at home against a dead team....simply pathetic...I'm speechless
Last edited by Tondo on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 pm

this is why i don't want them making any more trades that give up any key pieces. We are not good enough . You make big trades during a season if other people are hitting. We have nothing right now. santana, cabrera, and brantley are good but none are hitting great right now. Laporta, choo, and sizemore have been hurt and just suck right now. Hafner can't stay in the lineup enough to impact the lineup. Its not worth making any trades now. We have to win from within. If we had hitters producing close to the white sox like konerko and quentin, i would say make the deal. But we have holes throughout our lineup and nobody available can change that.

I don't want Jimenez. Let alex white come up and let drew pomeranz progress this year so he can start AAA next year. Then he can be ready to join the team my may or june next year .

We need to develop our own aces and we need to start developing some power hitters. For some reason, whether it be mirabelli or grant , neither can't draft a power hitter that we can put in the middle of our lineup.
Last edited by indians1 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Anyone else still think we should be buyers?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Tondo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:53 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Anyone else still think we should be buyers?

Yeah, we don't need to waste even C specs for Ludwicks, Kurodas or other rentals...but if we can land a SP that will be here through 2013 like Ubaldo or Wandy, I'm all for it...we have Masterson and Tomlin we can count on at SP...Carrasco and Carmona are hot heads with very little consistency...we have a dozen guys for the #5 spot but nothin spectacular....Pomz or White + others for Ubaldo or Carmona + others for Wandy....I'm all for it, we're a better team for 2012+ if we pull the trigger
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Absolutely awful. And guess what - Chis and Kip are not playing so we could have a hitting lineup?

Call off the trading of any prospect who is breathing. Does Carrasco have any options? He needs to get a message that tonight was not major league.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:19 pm

When did we quit?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:20 pm

martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Really putrid performance by Carrasco followed by a real show of immaturity and lack of self control. Melky should not have stood there and admired his Granny, but that's no reason to throw at Butler's head.

This team is quickly sinking into oblivion, but that first place run was great while it lasted. Nobody expected them to be anywhere near first place after the AS break, but there they were.

By the way, Geronimo, it's Royals at Indians, not Indians at Royals. Just a minor correction.

The Royals are playing great right now, just ask the last three teams they played. And did anybody really expect the Indians to beat a lefty?

Next two games we have better pitching matchups. We've got two right-handers going for the Royals whose combined record is 2-17. If we get swept, this season is officially over.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:22 pm

No more of this "out of it" talk until I don't know...... That is the case. There is A LOT of baseball left and the tribe are still in a great position to WIN THE DIVISION - first things first.... Acta hasn't been to this rodeo before, so he needs to keep it together and find a way to get his team to play at their best. More Chiz and Kip less Kearns for instance, please.. Sure we are underdogs, but focus on that not the fact every other game spells our doom.... Still July fellas.....
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Chip Davis » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:31 pm

No panic here and there is plenty of time to take back the division. I think it's reasonable to expect the team to get on a good run soon, look at what KC is doing. It will be nice to get this weekend ended as the angst over trades has everyone on the edge of their seats. If they don't/can't make any signifigant moves I hope Acta commits to playing the youngsters more consistantly as their performance is what will allow the team to contend the rest of the way, not OCab, Kearns, or Hannahan's. Doesn't matter what the circumstances are it is still difficult to watch them lose like they have been lately, but I'm still excited about the future of this team.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Tondo wrote:

Yeah, we don't need to waste even C specs for Ludwicks, Kurodas or other rentals...but if we can land a SP that will be here through 2013 like Ubaldo or Wandy, I'm all for it...we have Masterson and Tomlin we can count on at SP...Carrasco and Carmona are hot heads with very little consistency...we have a dozen guys for the #5 spot but nothin spectacular....Pomz or White + others for Ubaldo or Carmona + others for Wandy....I'm all for it, we're a better team for 2012+ if we pull the trigger

No way. Wandy's contract is going to be a huge issue soon. I'd give the Astros Putnam for him....if they threw in a ton of cash. He's not that good. I'd rather have Carmona starting for us without question. Cheaper and has shown he can pitch in the AL.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Tondo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:35 am

Putnam for Wandy, huh? Well, looking at the Pence-trade I'd try that, lol

You do realize we're talking about a SP who has put up 4 straight solid sub-4 ERAs...he costs 3mil/year more than Carmona the next 2 seasons, so if he is a $-liability what makes this Carmona looking at this production?, he's also a LHP..and what's more important: he's simply BETTER and more consistent...Carmona is what he is...sure, he will have another sub-4 ERA season or 2 in his career...but so did inconsistent guys like Harang, Millwood, Lohse, Marquis etc etc

Sure, it's a risk...he's not getting younger and changes league...but that's why I wouldn't include 1 of our top 4 for him. What would we lose with Carmona? We can get that kind of production from our plethora of SP depth....I'm sure McAllister, Gomez, Barnes or Huff are capapble of 5+ ERAs in 3 of 4 seasons and mix in a 3.77, heck I think Pomz or White can do that NOW...but I doubt we'd be as patient and give them as much time to suck
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 am

Chip Davis wrote:No panic here and there is plenty of time to take back the division. I think it's reasonable to expect the team to get on a good run soon, look at what KC is doing....Doesn't matter what the circumstances are it is still difficult to watch them lose like they have been lately, but I'm still excited about the future of this team.

The next few weeks will be crucial. The Tribe needs to hang with the Tigers, Twins, and Chisox until Grady and Choo get back. With a lineup that includes Brantley, Grady, Choo, Hafner, ACab, Santana, Chiz, and Kipis all hitting left-handed, they should be able to score a lot of runs against right-handed pitching.

But for the next few weeks they need to find ways to win. They need Santana to get going, they need LaPorta to finally step up, and they need Brantley, Pronk and ACab to keep producing. They also need to get something out of the rookies; Chiz and Kipnis. In the rotation, Huff is stepping up and Carmona has looked much better his last two starts. In the bullpen Chris Perez needs to get back to his dominating ways.

Games against last place teams like the Royals where they have a guy like Francis and his 4-11 record on the mound need to be won. It's OK to lose to Jared Weaver or Dan Haren, but they need to beat stiffs like the Royals are trotting out this weekend or they'll be out of it by the time Grady and Choo are able to contribute anything.

I'm excited about the future of this team, too, but I'm afraid the future might be next year if they continue to play like they did last night.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:13 am

:rofl: Carlos lost his cool. If he does it again I'd send him down (not sure about options) or at least bump him to the pen for a little while (cpl starts). Grandstanding isn't part of the gm but neither is headhunting. Further if I'm Acta I tell him to personally apologize to Butler.

I've been a Carmona supporter for yrs. Personally if the Tribe could get the right deal for him... A good ML player for him I'd do it. Maybe they have found something in his mechanics, just seems like a continual thing with him. At what point do the baby gloves come off in handling his fragile psyche? Any one remember him pitching through the herd of bugs??? What happened he was focused and like a buzz saw on the mound. I think we will see the end of Carmona but not now, once they have restored some value through this stretch run. If he continues to pitch as he has since his DL return, sure he may have a rough start or two but if he goes total melt down... Let him walk and spend that $7 mil on a cpl bats. If he regains himself trade him off bc who knows how long he has settled in this time. He has FOR stuff but BOR makeup / mechanics(?).

This team is still in it but obviously needs to make moves. These moves are not worth the farm IMO. What would you rather have Pomeranz and White for 6 yrs or Jimenez for 2. White has his ? As does Jimenez. I like the thoughts of adding him but not at that cost. If the Rox would bite for 4/5 close prospects with less ceiling and easier projectability I'd do it.

With the Royals in town why not work extra hard to get Francouer to switch dugouts. Bruce Chen and / or Jeff Francis shoils also be possibilities.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:15 am

Wow, what a brutal set of games with the no-hitter and then getting shut out by Jeff freaking Francis and pounded by the Royals. Tribe is at a season low right now.

I'm concerned about Carrasco. Has a history of being a headcase and letting things bother him too much, I wonder how he reacts to that pathetic performance yesterday and his bush league headhunting move. Guy is extremely fragile upstairs.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 am

Carrasco put up a 1.90 ERA in June followed by a 9.13 ERA in July. The very definition of inconsistency.

He's what - 24 years old? Time to step up and be a man.

The Indians were in first place when Grady and Choo went down. I'm looking to see who will step up their game when it's needed most. You can't count on rookies like Chiz and Kipnis and Zeke to lead the offense. Brantley, ACab and Pronk have been consistently productive all year - no problem there. It's mainly on Santana and LaPorta to step up and keep the offense going until Grady and Choo get back.

In the rotation they needed somebody to step up from Columbus when Talbot went down. They tried Gomez and McAllister with poor results, now Huff is getting his shot and so far making the most of it. Hope he can keep it up.

Carrasco needs to get his head straightened out and get back to the way he was throwing in June when he shut out the Twins for 8 innings and the Yankees for 7. And soon.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby ironmike » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:03 am

Can't say I'm upset with Carlos throwing a high hard one. Actually, I like his competiveness. Quite frankly, our team needs to show more intensity and fire. Drysdale and Marichal would have done the same. Albert, hell, he threw balls at reporters. Watch out Tony!

A suggestion for Manny Acta ... select a starting line up and put every players name in a hat and let them pick the batting order. Billy Martin did this many times just to loosen the team up during losing streaks. The players are pressing, especially LaPorta, Santana, Chisenhall and a few others. They need to make baseball be fun again. After all it is still a game.

PS The stumbling block in the Jimenez trade is the Indians want to include Carmona and the Rockies are insisting on one of our top tier prospects instead.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 am

Prosecutor wrote:Really putrid performance by Carrasco followed by a real show of immaturity and lack of self control. Melky should not have stood there and admired his Granny, but that's no reason to throw at Butler's head.

This team is quickly sinking into oblivion, but that first place run was great while it lasted. Nobody expected them to be anywhere near first place after the AS break, but there they were.

By the way, Geronimo, it's Royals at Indians, not Indians at Royals. Just a minor correction.

The Royals are playing great right now, just ask the last three teams they played. And did anybody really expect the Indians to beat a lefty?

Next two games we have better pitching matchups. We've got two right-handers going for the Royals whose combined record is 2-17. If we get swept, this season is officially over.

So, what is this?" Kansas City Royals at Indians, July 29-31st Uselessness finds a new name.. and now where does that go?.. oops.. smh..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 am

Big crowd for dollar dog night, fireworks... and beautiful weather.. too bad Jeff Francis was able to make the Indians look so bad.. lunging for pitches outside the strike zone, swinging at balls while watching strikes go by.. just a pooor offensive night..

Now, onto the real issue for the night... Carlos Carrasco..

Stink, stank stunk... everything up in the zone.. not one single hitter on the Royals club was uncomfortable in the box. The retaliation pitch was what it was, oh.. and it was "up in the zone" as well.. at least he was consistently bad.. smh
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:16 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Really putrid performance by Carrasco followed by a real show of immaturity and lack of self control. Melky should not have stood there and admired his Granny, but that's no reason to throw at Butler's head.

So, what is this?" Kansas City Royals at Indians, July 29-31st Uselessness finds a new name.. and now where does that go?.. oops.. smh..

You really are a fragile soul aren't you!

I think he was referring to the 1st line of your post in this thread.... not the thread title.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

I think he was referring to the 1st line of your post in this thread.... not the thread title.

GeronimoSon wrote:Indians at Royals, July 29th-31st

Exactly. I mean good grief GSon. You made a mistake and prosecutor pointed it out in a respectful manner too. It's ok to admit you made one, we all do.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:50 am

Tondo wrote:Putnam for Wandy, huh? Well, looking at the Pence-trade I'd try that, lol

You do realize we're talking about a SP who has put up 4 straight solid sub-4 ERAs...he costs 3mil/year more than Carmona the next 2 seasons, so if he is a $-liability what makes this Carmona looking at this production?, he's also a LHP..and what's more important: he's simply BETTER and more consistent...Carmona is what he is...sure, he will have another sub-4 ERA season or 2 in his career...but so did inconsistent guys like Harang, Millwood, Lohse, Marquis etc etc

Sure, it's a risk...he's not getting younger and changes league...but that's why I wouldn't include 1 of our top 4 for him. What would we lose with Carmona? We can get that kind of production from our plethora of SP depth....I'm sure McAllister, Gomez, Barnes or Huff are capapble of 5+ ERAs in 3 of 4 seasons and mix in a 3.77, heck I think Pomz or White can do that NOW...but I doubt we'd be as patient and give them as much time to suck

You do know that it's been reported several AL executives are reportedly saying they wouldn't touch Wandy as they dont' trust him in the AL right? Wandy is overpaid and not worth much to the Tribe. If the Astros want to move him, they will have to each a lot of money. Remember, ihs option becomes a player option if he's traded. No way does he turn down $13M. I dont' see Wandy being much (if any) of an improvement over Carmona. He'll just cost about double. I don't 'hate' Wandy...he is a good pitcher. But not worth much to the Tribe IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Tondo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:18 am

Cool then I disagree on their value..I consider Wandy much more usefull...maybe he hasn't better stuff than Carmona but by now everyone on here shold know that it's not all about stuff-only

and don twist facts, Wandy doesn't cost almsot double, he cost almost half on top..3mil/year more, 2012+13 = 23mil, Carmona costs 16mil, through 2014: Wandy = 36mil, Carmona = 28mil

Is the 3mil/year really that much a scare off? Don't sign your annual OCab's, Durbin's and Kearns' and you have the money :biggrin:

I'd much rather roll the dice on Wandy + 3mil than Carmona...and I'd be willing to give up much more than Carmona only straight up...if we can get him for even less, we should be ALL OVER IT

BTW, this just in:

10:09am: The Tigers will receive Fister and Pauley for Furbush, outfielder Casper Wells, and more, tweets Knobler.

Amazing deal by the Tigers...instant big SP and RP upgrades for an older Tim Fedroff (same OPS, though he has more pop and much worse OBP skills) and Jeanmar Gomez, not bad...why didn't we offer that again? Fister is very similar to Tomlin, doesn't walk many, low WHIP, keeps team in the game...he's under control another 2-3 years through arby
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:33 am

Hermie13 wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

GeronimoSon wrote:Indians at Royals, July 29th-31st

Exactly. I mean good grief GSon. You made a mistake and prosecutor pointed it out in a respectful manner too. It's ok to admit you made one, we all do.
The point of the comment in the posting was frivolous.. being the king of frivolous and posting about frivolity only makes for more pointlessness... smh...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 am

Tondo wrote:Cool then I disagree on their value..I consider Wandy much more usefull...maybe he hasn't better stuff than Carmona but by now everyone on here shold know that it's not all about stuff-only

and don twist facts, Wandy doesn't cost almsot double, he cost almost half on top..3mil/year more, 2012+13 = 23mil, Carmona costs 16mil, through 2014: Wandy = 36mil, Carmona = 28mil

Is the 3mil/year really that much a scare off? Don't sign your annual OCab's, Durbin's and Kearns' and you have the money :biggrin:

I'd much rather roll the dice on Wandy + 3mil than Carmona...and I'd be willing to give up much more than Carmona only straight up...if we can get him for even less, we should be ALL OVER IT

BTW, this just in:

10:09am: The Tigers will receive Fister and Pauley for Furbush, outfielder Casper Wells, and more, tweets Knobler.

Amazing deal by the Tigers...instant big SP and RP upgrades for an older Tim Fedroff (same OPS, though he has more pop and much worse OBP skills) and Jeanmar Gomez, not bad...why didn't we offer that again? Fister is very similar to Tomlin, doesn't walk many, low WHIP, keeps team in the game...he's under control another 2-3 years through arby
Good deal for the Tigers. Fister has shown himself to be a decent, not great, not good, ML SP. He's young and should provide the tigers with a long term answer for the middle to back of their starting rotation.. Pauley is a throw in / mediocre / dime a dozen reliever. The only benefit he brings is added depth to a bullpen that is lacking in both talent and depth.. Furbush & Casper Wells doesn't help the M's to any great degree. Furbush, being a lefty is the only real benefit. Casper Wells had a nice debut with the Tigers in 2010. Otherwise, his skill sets are nothing special. A "meh" return to the Ms on a bona fide ML starter, albeit, a MOR/BOR.. i.e. a good deal for the Tigers..

w/r to why the Indians weren't in on Fister.. best guess, the M's probably have the Indians calls blocked based upon the continual rapings in past deals.. If the M's had a clue, they'd take a look at the guys the Indians ask about and immediately promote them to the ML roster..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:50 am

Pass on Wandy.. he's a mediocre LHSP on a bad team that's looking for a salary dump.. The mere fact that he's available is testament to his expensive mediocrity...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Tondo wrote:Cool then I disagree on their value..I consider Wandy much more usefull...maybe he hasn't better stuff than Carmona but by now everyone on here shold know that it's not all about stuff-only

Carmona has no guaranteed money after this year.....Wandy $36M. So you're right, he doesn't cost double...may cost a LOT more than that. Tribe will pick up his option at the end of the year. So $7M....if he doesn't rebound with all the young guys coming up, then you can jut decline his 2013 option. He'll cost you $7M then after this year....Wandy $36M. Only way the Tribe picks up all of Carmona's options is if he's pitching like he did in 2010 (or better).

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Seems like very few (if any) AL teams want Wandy though
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:27 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

BTW, this just in:

Good deal for the Tigers. Fister has shown himself to be a decent, not great, not good, ML SP. He's young and should provide the tigers with a long term answer for the middle to back of their starting rotation.. Pauley is a throw in / mediocre / dime a dozen reliever. The only benefit he brings is added depth to a bullpen that is lacking in both talent and depth.. Furbush & Casper Wells doesn't help the M's to any great degree. Furbush, being a lefty is the only real benefit. Casper Wells had a nice debut with the Tigers in 2010. Otherwise, his skill sets are nothing special. A "meh" return to the Ms on a bona fide ML starter, albeit, a MOR/BOR.. i.e. a good deal for the Tigers..

w/r to why the Indians weren't in on Fister.. best guess, the M's probably have the Indians calls blocked based upon the continual rapings in past deals.. If the M's had a clue, they'd take a look at the guys the Indians ask about and immediately promote them to the ML roster..

Everyone is missing the best player in the Fister deal just got announced they gave up their 4th best spec, a solid 3B guy in the deal was announced later, don't know the guy terribly well but seems to be a pretty nice pick up no worse than a cord phelps type
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:36 pm

The "best player" is a Caros Rivero clone..."high upside" guy with a career .690 OPS, yay
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Tondo wrote:The "best player" is a Caros Rivero clone..."high upside" guy with a career .690 OPS, yay

once again stats aren't everything, and your obviously trying to hide facts by not telling everything. Dude is 20 in AA, which is very young and putting up a solid 724 OPS, yes he has a 690 over all but had a horrid 09 , 551, and has gotten better every year despite being 2 years younger than the level he is on. Guy would be young in high A. Every year and level his numbers have gotten better, which is huge. Riviero comp is pretty horrid as Riverio was a year older before he hit AA, and had an OPS of 70 points lower when he did. If you got an agenda to push or you just want to disagree with everyone at least use good stats, or tell a full story instead of obviously trying to feebly push your point by using stats that tell a half truth. Guy is a legit spec who has shown positive points of growth and is already doing well in half a season of AA
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Just pointing out that I heard and read the same things about Rivero for way too long around here...your 1st part of that last posts was "Rivero's excuse" for at least 2 years...he was in the top 10 too, remember? Yeah, he's 2 years younger but that doesn't make his production better, right? He's still an AVG AA player to this date...you guys overrate age WAY too much...remember when you were 20? Yeah, you were totally different with 21

Look, he's a decent spec, but so was considered Rivero in his 1st AA season...Tigers got a decent #3/#4 SP, a big upgrade to their status quo AND a #5 SP turned dominant RP...pretty good haul for specs similar to Gomez/McAllister, Fedroff and LeVon
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Could be a long game tonight. Paulino over his last five starts has averaged just under 115 pitches, and he's not pitching beyond the 7th inning. For a guy who spent the first half of the season as a reliever, he has a ton of stamina. He doesn't walk or strike out a lot of hitters, so he must induce more foul balls than anybody in the league.

Geronimo says the Royals bullpen is overworked and beaten down, so that may be why they leave Paulino in so long. He's been consisently giving them 6-7 innings and allowing 3-5 runs per start. If we can get 4 or 5 runs off him that should be enough for Masterson, although the Royals are swinging the bats extremely well as a team right now.

I don't expect to see Hannahan, Marson, and OCab in the lineup tonight, so that might help put some runs on the board. After the last two games I'm looking forward to the Tribe actually scoring a run or two. Hey, I'm a hopeless optimist.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Could be a long game tonight. Paulino over his last five starts has averaged just under 115 pitches, and he's not pitching beyond the 7th inning. For a guy who spent the first half of the season as a reliever, he has a ton of stamina. He doesn't walk or strike out a lot of hitters, so he must induce more foul balls than anybody in the league.

Geronimo says the Royals bullpen is overworked and beaten down, so that may be why they leave Paulino in so long. He's been consisently giving them 6-7 innings and allowing 3-5 runs per start. If we can get 4 or 5 runs off him that should be enough for Masterson, although the Royals are swinging the bats extremely well as a team right now.

I don't expect to see Hannahan, Marson, and OCab in the lineup tonight, so that might help put some runs on the board. After the last two games I'm looking forward to the Tribe actually scoring a run or two. Hey, I'm a hopeless optimist.

Chisenhall, Kipnis, Carrera and Santana behind the plate in the starting lineup. A very heavy left handed group.

Odd.. Brantley leading off.. with Kipnis batting second.. Droobs behind him.. this could be a very potent lineup for manufacturing runs.. if any of the alleged (yeah.. my optimism isn't quite so hopeless) sticks put the bat on the ball, this could be a reversal of last night's game.. with the Indians enjoying a laugher.. when's the last time that's been seen on the Northcoast?

Should be a beautiful night for a ballgame.. enjoy the sunshine and warm breezes...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:23 pm

First inning complete.. Kansas City 1 Indians 0

-Masterson limited the damage on the small jam he created.. Melky hit his double on a pitch that if he didn't make contact would have hit him in the ankle.... good hitting job.. the run scored on a bouncer..

Watching strike three go by.. won't engender confidence by Manny.. the Kipper needs to SWING THE BAT !..

watching Santana call pitches..he's called for the slider a couple of times.. and Masterson has shaken him off.. look for more sliders as the game continues..the Royals can swing the bats..if they know it's a fastball.. even if it's tough to hit, they will time him up and make contact....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 pm

In other news...... Tribe being no-hit again..... can Ubaldo hit.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:11 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:In other news...... Tribe being no-hit again..... can Ubaldo hit.
can't be any worse than what we've seen tonight.. ugh...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Can't believe he just sent LaPorta on that.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:02 pm

LaPorta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why but that home run makes me feel alot better about that Ubaldo trade. Maybe the magic is back?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Chiefroy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Wow. Great win and that HR has to do a world of good for Matt LaPorta. Big confidence boost. :drinks:
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:25 pm

-Tremendous walk off win by the Indians.. Big Matt came through with his tenth homer of the year, a walk off winner..

-Great at bat by Santana to go down third base line.. where the ball was pitched.. nice to see him shorten his swing and make good contact..
-Lonnie Chisenhall had four great at bats tonight.. nothing to show for it, but he was just tough in the batter's box..

-Congrats to Kosuke on his first Indians RBI to tie the game setting up the Laporta Heroics...

-Justin Masterson with another well pitched game.. after the first inning..he really settled in.. threw a LOT more sliders down and off the plate tonight...good performance..

-Onto the rubber match of the series.. Fausto v Davies..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:44 am

Huge, huge win. We have to beat teams like the Royals at home if we're going to have any chance.

Just to echo some of GS's comments...

I've been hard on LaPorta lately (LaPorta Potty), but he looked like a different player last night. He consistently laid off the low breaking balls and the sliders off the outside corner. He's been chasing those pitches and getting himself out all year. Last night he finally laid off them and waited for a fastball in the zone. The first one he hit high off the wall and the second one he went yard. If the light has finally gone on and he continues to lay off the teaser pitches he can't hit, then he'll be a lot more productive. I'm hesitant to get jacked up over one good game, but last night was very encouraging.

Running over Treanor was a solid play, too. That's what you have to do when you're trying to win the division. I can't believe Smith sent him with nobody out on a short fly ball to the player who leads the league in outfield assists. Dumbest decision by a third base coach I've seen since Skinner.

Awesome double down the left field line by Santana with two strikes. Instead of overswinging and striking out as usual he went with the pitch and put the tying run on 3rd with one out. Terrific at-bat.

Edit: If my math is right, Santana is hitting .166 with two strikes on him this year. So hitting an opposite field double in a clutch at-bat with two strikes in the bottom of the 9th is huge. Maybe the light goes on for him, too. With two strikes, make contact and hit the ball where it's pitched.

Good professional at-bat by Fuko getting the tying run in with two strikes on him. Now how about a hit or two?

Sipp gets an undeserved win after throwing a change-up right down the middle against a left-handed hitter to allow the go-ahead run to score with two out. Overall he's been great this year, however. ACab, Santana, Fuko, and LaPorta bailed him out in the 9th.

Very good at-bats by Chiz in drawing three walks on a night when the opposing pitcher was locked in. He was taking some extremely close pitches with two strikes - a sign that he's relaxed and confident at the plate and not pressing. A very good sign. He's going to start hitting soon if not immediately IMO. He just looks comfortable up there.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:31 am

The Royals may change their starting pitcher from Kyle Davies to Danny Duffy. The Plain Dull is reporting that the Royals will start Duffy.. It's a mystery as Davies is coming off his best outing of the year when he faced the Red Sox.. went six plus innings in a 3-1 14 inning Kansas City win.. IDK where the Plain Dull report came from...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:35 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:The Royals may change their starting pitcher from Kyle Davies to Danny Duffy. The Plain Dull is reporting that the Royals will start Duffy.. It's a mystery as Davies is coming off his best outing of the year when he faced the Red Sox.. went six plus innings in a 3-1 14 inning Kansas City win.. IDK where the Plain Dull report came from...

I was assuming trade, but sounds like Davies is having some arm issues
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:01 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I've been hard on LaPorta lately (LaPorta Potty), but he looked like a different player last night. He consistently laid off the low breaking balls and the sliders off the outside corner. He's been chasing those pitches and getting himself out all year. Last night he finally laid off them and waited for a fastball in the zone. The first one he hit high off the wall and the second one he went yard. If the light has finally gone on and he continues to lay off the teaser pitches he can't hit, then he'll be a lot more productive. I'm hesitant to get jacked up over one good game, but last night was very encouraging.

He's been showing that he can lay off pitches for a while now. He has been frustratingly inconsistent though. Even the at-bat that he grounded into the double play against the Angels, he took at least 2 breaking ball that were off the plate to work that count full. Was a looking like a solid at-bat....then that last pitch. Yesterday he then had some very good at-bats, but did chase that pitch outside on the 3-1 pitch and hit a lazy fly to RF with Chiz on 2nd base and no outs.

Definitely needs to build off that HR. Hopefully he can cause his bat will definitely be needed down the stretch :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Tondo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Another dumb, evitable loss...frustrating
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:58 pm

Sipp screws up two games in a row.

Santana gets two more hits to the opposite field, after his huge opp field double Sat night. This time he got them hitting right-handed. If he ever learns to hit the ball where it's pitched instead of trying to pull everything, he'll be a lot more productive. These last two games were encouraging.

He did fall asleep on that double down the right field line. He got run over by the hitter rounding first as Santana was apparently eyeballing some babe in the stands. Then he got so discombobulated he forgot to back up Donald, which allowed a big run to score when Donald failed to handle Fuko's throw that short-hopped him.

Good to see Kipnis hit his first ML home run, and off a lefty no less.

Kearns is toast. I'd rather see Zeke in the lineup, even against lefties.

Now we get Boston and Texas on the road. The next week will be huge. If the offense doesn't get going they could easily go 1-6, or worse. They're going to need some great performances by the starters and some hits with RISP, unlike today when they were 1-for-9.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Next

Return to Beyond The Minors