RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Fans needs patience

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Fans needs patience

Postby jellis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:19 pm

So every week on here people want a new guy called up Phelps, Valbuena, Chiz, Kipnis, Donald, Head, etc. Yet after being up for a week or less and not getting regular playing time we are ready to call them trash. I don't get the perspective of late of you make an instant impact or your dead to me. How can we know if anyone is decent with out a month or two of exposure. I still feel that Phelps should be up every day at 2B, and these other young guys need an extended look. The FO seems to be the only people with less patience than the fans.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: Fans needs patience

Postby Edible14 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 pm

jellis wrote:So every week on here people want a new guy called up Phelps, Valbuena, Chiz, Kipnis, Donald, Head, etc. Yet after being up for a week or less and not getting regular playing time we are ready to call them trash. I don't get the perspective of late of you make an instant impact or your dead to me. How can we know if anyone is decent with out a month or two of exposure. I still feel that Phelps should be up every day at 2B, and these other young guys need an extended look. The FO seems to be the only people with less patience than the fans.

*Edited, because I misread you the first time*

Not all the fans are impatient, it just seems that way. Reason being that repeating "be patient" is boring posting, whereas bitching about things that aren't going well is easy and, as is the case in baseball, lends itself to variance since different things go wrong throughout a season. The 4 or 5 threads about potential trades are great examples of this. It's easy to point out failings and say "we need to make a deal", or point out the flavor of the week that may or may not be available on the market. Saying "let's be patient" is more or less the same message, always.

As for the org, I think they're a lot more patient that the fans with everything but Phelps. Kearns, Buck, Hannahan, Everett, Durbin and Talbot have stuck around MUCH longer than the vocal fans would have liked.
Last edited by Edible14 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I still feel that Phelps should be up every day at 2B, and these other young guys need an extended look. The FO seems to be the only people with less patience than the fans.

Agreed
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
I still feel that Phelps should be up every day at 2B, and these other young guys need an extended look. The FO seems to be the only people with less patience than the fans.

Agreed

I actually don't agree. Whether they deserve to be in it or not, the team is still in contention for 1st in the division. 5 errors in 12 games (as well as a few other poorly defended plays that aren't listed) is unacceptable for a platoon player - and that's what he is with Orlando Cabrera still here. The goal of the team is still to win games and young kid or not you can't shoot yourself in the foot like that if you want to keep playing on a contending team. Call it impatience if you want but he shouldn't be in Cleveland while they're contending and you can't leave him out there to completely shoot all of his defensive confidence.

What I DON'T like is how he's in AAA playing SS now when he should be working on his fielding at 2nd base. I understand that Kipnis is there but I don't see what's so bad about having Cord play 2nd base in AA it's not like the gap is that different and he has already shown that his bat is as ready as it's going to be in AAA.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:

Agreed

I actually don't agree. Whether they deserve to be in it or not, the team is still in contention for 1st in the division. 5 errors in 12 games (as well as a few other poorly defended plays that aren't listed) is unacceptable for a platoon player - and that's what he is with Orlando Cabrera still here. The goal of the team is still to win games and young kid or not you can't shoot yourself in the foot like that if you want to keep playing on a contending team. Call it impatience if you want but he shouldn't be in Cleveland while they're contending and you can't leave him out there to completely shoot all of his defensive confidence.

What I DON'T like is how he's in AAA playing SS now when he should be working on his fielding at 2nd base. I understand that Kipnis is there but I don't see what's so bad about having Cord play 2nd base in AA it's not like the gap is that different and he has already shown that his bat is as ready as it's going to be in AAA.

The errors where bad, but it looked like jitters to me. With OCAB having zero range and hasn't had a good at bat in about a month, I think Phelps would do more for this team
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:50 pm

jellis wrote:The errors where bad, but it looked like jitters to me. With OCAB having zero range and hasn't had a good at bat in about a month, I think Phelps would do more for this team

if by a month you mean a couple days (tops)....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 am

As far as Phelps is concerned, he did play a bad D at 2B in his short stint for Cleveland. But it is easy to forget, that awesome snare he made when he first came up (Ocab - maybe a couple yrs ago) and the fact he hasn't really played 2B ALL YEAR until he was called up to the show. He did blow his opportunity though..... That doesn't mean he is done by any means.... Hardly. I would love to see what he could bring to a ML club as a regular option, and now it is starting to look like a very real posibility that will be for another ML club. But if thats not the case, he just has to wait for the cluster&^%$ that is Valby and Kipnis to determine his fate.....
Kipnis would be a real consideration by now, except for his D which must be a little concerning (only seen him in a handful of clips) given his offensive abililty.... Looks like perhaps it is glossed over, but would love a concise independent account of his defensive ability. Hell would be a nice OF option right now too....
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors