RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Minor happenings about kipnis

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Minor happenings about kipnis

Postby indians1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:07 am

It really bothers me that orlando cabrera has been such a problem when his playing time got cut. The guy had an OPS in the .500's for most of the season and he doesn't think that is a problem. I can see him not liking the switch to 3B, but even Pujols volunteered to go to 3B to help his team this year.

I was hoping kipnis would be a call-up similar to asdrubal cabrera in 2007 when he got called up in august and ran away with the job at 2B. And i was hoping orlando cabrera would be a team player in the way trot nixon was in 2007. He surely didn't like to sit down for franklin gutteriez but he understood reality. I think for the indians to compete, they need a prospect to come and really help the team. Alex white could have been that guy. Hopefully chisenhall can now be that guy.

I am just amazed that we are willing to hold back the best hitting prospect in our system and probably the best hitting prospect we have had in years because orlando cabrera wants to be sellfish and not think of the team. I don't think he has to go back to 3B, but i do think he can be the guy that gives kipnis and asdrubal a day off. And we could DH kipnis on the days travis hafner needs off. A second baseman who has had an OPS in the .870-'s-.890's throughout is minor league career is rare. I don't want to put too much pressure on kipnis if he gets called up, but i don't think we should underestimate the boost he could provide.

In 2005 it was grady and peralta that were the young guys that helped compete. in 2007- it was asdrubal and franklin, and in 2011- i think it needs to be kipnis and chisenhall if this team is going make the playoffs.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Re: Minor happenings about kipnis

Postby Edible14 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:34 am

I don't think it's entirely OCab's fault.

A lot of this has to do with how bad Phelps was defensively and, at least at first, offensively. The team knows Kipnis' defense isn't going to be much better and might actually be worse. They also have to be thinking that Kipnis could easily struggle at first when he gets up here, meaning that it would create a lot more drama, for someone who wouldn't actually help the team right away. This is a team in a playoff race, so they need to keep up the production. I think the fear has to be that such a move would torpedo that production.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:43 am

It really shouldn't surprise anyone that Orlando Cabrera isn't a team first guy. I know everyone goes on autopilot and thinks "veteran leadership" every time a cheap old guy is signed, but Cabrera has never been that guy. This is the same guy who has a history of calling the press box during games to demand that they overturn his errors (and was publicly upset when Ozzie Guillen wouldn't back him up on it in Chicago). He's had grudges with teammates in the past. He's kept questionable friends in the past.

There were tons of rumors about what he was doing off the field when he was with Boston... mostly rumors of underage girls, but also that he hit on anything with a pulse -- team/stadium employees and teammates' significant others. These things were hinted at by Boston writers who said that he was definitely doing things off the field that crossed the line of simple pro athlete machismo, but they couldn't go into detail for fear of lawsuits. Anyway, Boston was quite happy with what he did on the field after they acquired him for the World Series run, but wanted nothing to do with him after the season was over. Looking at how he's bounced around the league and all the rumors that have followed him, it seems rather obvious that where there's smoke there's fire.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby indians1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:09 pm

If the guy produced in boston and helped them win a world series, but the guy was a scumbag, why are we going to put up with him when he is producing at a very below average rate?
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby indians1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 pm

if kipnis doesn't make it up next year, he better start the season up in the big leagues. None of this, we don't even have to roster him until after 2012. He is our best prospect and we need to get him on the field as an impact player.

I have read where kipnis is less of a question mark than dustin ackley at 2B defensively on ESPN. I believe keith law wrote about it 2 months ago in a piece on the prospects soon to be called up and the article talked about both ackley and kipnis.

We should be competeting next year for the division. This year and for many years in the future, we should be competing.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Edible14 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 pm

indians1 wrote:if kipnis doesn't make it up next year, he better start the season up in the big leagues. None of this, we don't even have to roster him until after 2012. He is our best prospect and we need to get him on the field as an impact player.

I have read where kipnis is less of a question mark than dustin ackley at 2B defensively on ESPN. I believe keith law wrote about it 2 months ago in a piece on the prospects soon to be called up and the article talked about both ackley and kipnis.

We should be competeting next year for the division. This year and for many years in the future, we should be competing.

Simply to avoid losing an extra season, he'd spend a couple of weeks in AAA so that he wouldn't accrue a year's worth of service time over the season (see: Evan Longoria, 2008). Two weeks of Jason Donald is a fair price to pay for an extra year of Kipnis in his prime.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:50 pm

indians1 wrote:if kipnis doesn't make it up next year, he better start the season up in the big leagues. None of this, we don't even have to roster him until after 2012. He is our best prospect and we need to get him on the field as an impact player.

What?.. better start where?

If he earns the spot, then he earns the spot.. if it's in the Indians best interest that he starts in the minors, then he starts in the minors..

BETTER what?.. smh.. your ego is writing checks you can't cash, son...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:28 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

If he earns the spot, then he earns the spot.. if it's in the Indians best interest that he starts in the minors, then he starts in the minors..

thanks, dad
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:10 pm

indians1 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

thanks, dad
yw
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Look, im not one of those "dolan is cheap" and "dolan should sell the team" guys. I do think the indians have to balance contending with how soon a guy will come up for arbitration.

that being said, our 2B has an OPS of .600. Is that good enough to contend when we are not getting production out of our 1B, 3B, and no power from the outfield.

If the indians don't think they can contend especially with grady out and its not worth pulling off a trade, then i still think it is important that we get kipnis some major league AB's this year. That way, he gets used to the speed of the game and can be ready to contribute next year. It has taken carlos santana a full year to start looking like the guy we thought with the uptick in his power (he still has a way to go in the BA)

I would hope that kipnis would be able to hit better than .600 OPS even with some struggles. he is the best hitter in our system and has the track record of being an impact hitter at every level. I don't the answer. That is why im not a GM in baseball.

It would be nice if we could call up kipnis and cabrera would accept his role as a back up and a mentor to kipnis. If cabrera is not going to be a team player, then i guess kipnis is stuck until next year.

My point about kipnis starting next year was (of course he needs to earn it) but the approach should not be that kipnis is going back to AAA no matter what like it was this year. It should be his job to lose going into spring training.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Return to Beyond The Minors