RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Looks like Gomez is coming up

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Looks like Gomez is coming up

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 pm

Announced a few days ago that Jeanmar Gomez was not going to the Triple-A All Star game in Salt Lake City. Well, apparently, he is going to make a sport start for short season Single-A Mahoning Valley on Wednesday night.

Do the math.

Only question is if he comes up Sunday in place of Talbot, or comes up on Monday for one of the DH games. Either way, he should be up here for good.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Looks like Gomez is coming up

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Do you think he is a legit MLB starter? I remember seeing him earlier this year and his pitches were as flat as Ive ever seen. I know hes young and maybe that can improve. He has obviously dominated AAA hitting so maybe Im judging him too harshly on a couple starts.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:19 am

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Do you think he is a legit MLB starter? I remember seeing him earlier this year and his pitches were as flat as Ive ever seen. I know hes young and maybe that can improve. He has obviously dominated AAA hitting so maybe Im judging him too harshly on a couple starts.

I'm coming around a little on him. Think he could be a good #4 for the Indians. Plus, even for as average or whatever he looked earlier in the year, it was like Cy Young compared to Talbot. Time to make the move and see what he can do. He at least will compete.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:03 am

Tony, is McCallister going to stay up and do you think Huff will ever get a shot again? I think any of Gomez, Huff, McCallister, or Barnes would give the Indians a better chance to win than Talbot. Obviously with Barnes' injury he's out of the equation, but I'm surprised Huff didn't get the nod due to the fact that there is not a single lefty in the rotation.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 am

Chip Davis wrote:Tony, is McCallister going to stay up and do you think Huff will ever get a shot again? I think any of Gomez, Huff, McCallister, or Barnes would give the Indians a better chance to win than Talbot. Obviously with Barnes' injury he's out of the equation, but I'm surprised Huff didn't get the nod due to the fact that there is not a single lefty in the rotation.

Gomez is coming up to pitch on Sunday for Talbot and staying in the rotation.

McAllister just making a spot start on Monday.

Both of those are unofficial still....official word should come later today.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:46 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Gomez is coming up to pitch on Sunday for Talbot and staying in the rotation.

McAllister just making a spot start on Monday.

Both of those are unofficial still....official word should come later today.

hmm, so are they limiting Gomez tonight? Going on 3-days rest if he actually is pitching on Sunday.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:16 pm

If Gomez is going to be in the rotation full-time, wouldn't it make more sense to start McAllister on Sunday and call up Gomez to start one of the DH games on Monday?

With the day off after that series against the Twins evyone would be on normal rest and it'll save you a roster move.

Mc*llister for Carrera on Luis on Sunday, Gomez up for ZMac on Mon and Fausto up for Luis/Carrera on MondayM
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:46 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:If Gomez is going to be in the rotation full-time, wouldn't it make more sense to start McAllister on Sunday and call up Gomez to start one of the DH games on Monday?

With the day off after that series against the Twins evyone would be on normal rest and it'll save you a roster move.

Mc*llister for Carrera on Luis on Sunday, Gomez up for ZMac on Mon and Fausto up for Luis/Carrera on MondayM

10 day rule. Can't call up McAllister until Monday (optioned out July 8). Otherwise, yeah, the move would make sense.

Either way though you still make the same amount of moves. (Gomez for Carrera on Sunday, McAllister for Duncan on Monday, Fausto for McAllister on Monday).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Gomez done after 4 innings for Mahoning Valley (5H, 1R).

That short outing surely all but seals the fact that he's going to start on Sunday on short rest.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:If Gomez is going to be in the rotation full-time, wouldn't it make more sense to start McAllister on Sunday and call up Gomez to start one of the DH games on Monday?

10 day rule. Can't call up McAllister until Monday (optioned out July 8). Otherwise, yeah, the move would make sense.

Either way though you still make the same amount of moves. (Gomez for Carrera on Sunday, McAllister for Duncan on Monday, Fausto for McAllister on Monday).

So does the DL loophole not apply since we called up Carrera today?

Wonder how many innings McAllister will work on Friday then for C-bus as I can't imagine they'd let him have this long a layoff with only today's minimal work.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 am

Hermie13 wrote:Wonder how many innings McAllister will work on Friday then for C-bus as I can't imagine they'd let him have this long a layoff with only today's minimal work.

McAllister is not pitching or Columbus on Friday. He is done until Monday.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby osueddy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Gomez done after 4 innings for Mahoning Valley (5H, 1R).

That short outing surely all but seals the fact that he's going to start on Sunday on short rest.

He threw 61 pitches tonight, so you might be right.

Tony, I've got an odd question. In Jeanmar's case of going from Columbus to Mahoning Valley, how did he get there? Do players like Gomez have a car in Columbus, or does some member of the Indians organization drive them to Warren? Now that he's done with the Scrappers, immediately get on a plane to go to Baltimore to be with the Indians? I've always just wondered how they take care of those situations. I guess when guys go on rehab assignments, they obviously have a place and vehicle in Cleveland, so that would be easy. I just wondered how they took care of those minor league guys, especially the ones from outside the U.S.

It always makes me chuckle a little thinking of someone like Grady Sizemore driving himself to Akron down 77 in April this year to play for the Aeros, and then going home like he was at a church league softball game.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:53 am

TonyIPI wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Wonder how many innings McAllister will work on Friday then for C-bus as I can't imagine they'd let him have this long a layoff with only today's minimal work.

So....he'll pitch 2 innings and 35 pitches since July 7th (his work last night in the All-Star game) til this next start on Monday the 18th. Meanwhile, Gomez will start not once, not twice, but 3 times in that time (July 8th to July 17th), and went 4 innings last night (and 61 pitches), despite the fact that he'll be pitching on only 3 days rest Sunday? hmmm

McAllister is going to be very rusty come Monday. Needs to at least throw a 2 inning bullpen Friday. Hate this move by the Tribe even more now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:55 am

Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

So....he'll pitch 2 innings and 35 pitches since July 7th (his work last night in the All-Star game) til this next start on Monday the 18th. Meanwhile, Gomez will start not once, not twice, but 3 times in that time (July 8th to July 17th), and went 4 innings last night (and 61 pitches), despite the fact that he'll be pitching on only 3 days rest Sunday? hmmm

McAllister is going to be very rusty come Monday. Needs to at least throw a 2 inning bullpen Friday. Hate this move by the Tribe even more now.

He threw another few innings and a lot of pitches in a bully last night after he was removed from the game. Will also throw a normal bully in the next few days leading up to the start, so will have his normal work in. I see nothing wrong with his workload coming in. Sure the AS break affected things a little, but it affects everyone.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:58 am

osueddy wrote:Tony, I've got an odd question. In Jeanmar's case of going from Columbus to Mahoning Valley, how did he get there? Do players like Gomez have a car in Columbus, or does some member of the Indians organization drive them to Warren? Now that he's done with the Scrappers, immediately get on a plane to go to Baltimore to be with the Indians? I've always just wondered how they take care of those situations. I guess when guys go on rehab assignments, they obviously have a place and vehicle in Cleveland, so that would be easy. I just wondered how they took care of those minor league guys, especially the ones from outside the U.S.

It always makes me chuckle a little thinking of someone like Grady Sizemore driving himself to Akron down 77 in April this year to play for the Aeros, and then going home like he was at a church league softball game.

That's exactly what Sizemore did actually. The guys will drive to/from the game, or stay in a hotel somewhere in the area if it is more convenient while there on their rehab.

As for getting a guy like Gomez around, yeah, he drives or has someone drive him. Indians have a few guys who have to go around driving these players from A to B. Especially the Latin kids since a lot are not licensed in the US. So for Gomez he likely had someone drive him from Columbus to Niles....and then will hop on a plane sometime today for Baltimore to join the team today.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:38 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

He threw another few innings and a lot of pitches in a bully last night after he was removed from the game. Will also throw a normal bully in the next few days leading up to the start, so will have his normal work in. I see nothing wrong with his workload coming in. Sure the AS break affected things a little, but it affects everyone.

AS break does usually affect everyone, but typically certain guys more than others. For example, Tomlin and Carrasco really weren't too affected as they are only going to 1 extra day each. Masterson on the other hand will be on 8 days rest from his last start...though 4 from his 1 inning of work on Saturday.

With the Columbus rotation looking very short on arms these next couple days, don't see why you wouldn't have McAllister start and go an inning or two in lieu of his bullpen work to keep him fresh.

Since July 2nd, McAllister will have thrown 129 live game pitches when he toes the rubber on Monday (assuming he's the guy). Throwing in a real game vs a bullpen session is completely different (can't throw "innings" in a bullpen really). If they were, Tribe could have just had Gomez throw a 61 pitch bullpen session (or start the All-Star game and do what McAllister did) instead of sending him 3 hours out of the way to Mahoning Valley.

Part of it for me too is I just don't see why you didn't callup McAllister when you put Talbot on the DL. I mean, yeah he wouldn't have been needed, but 6 outfielders (7 if you count Valbuena) on the ML roster now....is that really needed? Would have allowed McAllister to start Sunday and Gomez Monday (on normal rest). O well I guess, probably no big deal....though Gomez may have to go 200 innings this year for us, so not a fan of having him go on short rest even if he didn't work a lot yesterday.

OH...and the part where I'll be in Baltimore Sunday and was holding out hope of seeing McAllister pitch instead of Gomez :s_tongue
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:26 pm

My concern with the callup of Carrera is that the bullpen may get taxed with 2 young and freshly called up starters. I probably would have called on one of Judy, Hagadone, Putnam, or even Germano instead. When and where does Zeke play? I hope it's not in place of Buck or Brantley.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Chip Davis wrote:My concern with the callup of Carrera is that the bullpen may get taxed with 2 young and freshly called up starters. I probably would have called on one of Judy, Hagadone, Putnam, or even Germano instead. When and where does Zeke play? I hope it's not in place of Buck or Brantley.

Carrera will likely be gone before either Gomez or McAllister pitch though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:My concern with the callup of Carrera is that the bullpen may get taxed with 2 young and freshly called up starters. I probably would have called on one of Judy, Hagadone, Putnam, or even Germano instead. When and where does Zeke play? I hope it's not in place of Buck or Brantley.

Yeah, with Masterson and Tomlin going right out of the break, almost a sure bet to get at least six from your starter....so no bulpen guy needed.

Huff only went 3 innings and 63 pitches tonight....looks like he may be in play for Monday and that McAllister is not a slam dunk.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:40 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Yeah, with Masterson and Tomlin going right out of the break, almost a sure bet to get at least six from your starter....so no bulpen guy needed.

Huff only went 3 innings and 63 pitches tonight....looks like he may be in play for Monday and that McAllister is not a slam dunk.
"..went 3 innings..." or survived three innings?..it wasn't a 'boffo' performance, to say the least. It was more like he suffered through three innings.. gave up a lot of hits including a home run...but held the damage to a run each inning. For a candidate for promotion, better results would have given Huff a better chance to punch his ticket to Minnesota...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors