RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Opposite Field Hits

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Opposite Field Hits

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:18 am

Sunday Grady had a opp field hit to drive in runs.

Monday Kearns had an opp field HR.

Monday Santana had an opp field HR.

Is this the new hitting coach in action?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: Opposite Field Hits

Postby ironmike » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 am

Hopefully.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 am

Bearcatbob wrote:Sunday Grady had a opp field hit to drive in runs.

Monday Kearns had an opp field HR.

Monday Santana had an opp field HR.

Is this the new hitting coach in action?
Bruce Fields has a philosophy of using the middle of the diamond more and more. His influence is clearly part of the reason why Indians fans are seeing more 'opposite' field balls. Fields is also working on the rate of K's... nice change from Nunnaly...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:05 am

I noticed that, too. By the way, Astrubal's double was also to the opposite field and Pronk had an infield single up the middle. He also had a pinch-hit to left field to drive in a run against Cincy.

I could not believe Santana hit an opposite field HR. I didn't think he was capable of hitting the ball to the left of second base. Come to think of it, he lined out to 3rd against Cincy and then singled to left later in that game to drive in a run.

This is a very good sign if guys like Grady and Santana are going the other way, using the whole field, and reducing their strikeouts. You may be onto something with Fields. It looks to me like all the Tribe's hitters are trying to go up the middle and to the opposite field on pitches away. Even Shelly Duncan had a huge hit to right field after getting behind 2-0, and he's a notorious free swinger.

I'll be watching closely to see if this is a new development or just an anomaly. I'm not getting overly excited yet, but this new hitting coach could play a huge role in the second half.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby smt1192 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:19 am

Santana's home run had a flash of Thome with the towering shot to left field :yahoo:
Last edited by smt1192 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smt1192
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby entertheshoe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:51 pm

smt1192 wrote:Santana's home run had a flash of Thome with the towering shot to right field :yahoo:

I was so surprised that it went out of the park. When he hit it I was like "double off the wall, run run run run run." Just didn't expect Santana to have that kind of power going the opposite way. Good to be wrong!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Return to Beyond The Minors