RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Rockies at Indians, June 20, 21 & 22

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Rockies at Indians, June 20, 21 & 22

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:57 am

By the time OCabrera hit the team had already subbed in Marson, moved Santana to 1st, and Hannahan to 3rd. If they pinch hit Brantley for Cabrera they would have had Everett playing 2nd, not 3rd - for what it's worth. I just don't know if it's worth burning your entire bench (unless you count Austin Kearns) in a 1 run game. Pretty nitpicky if you ask me. Plus, I'm not as mad because maybe now it's starting to get implanted into their heads that Cabrera shouldn't face a righty, ever.

If they had already subbed in Marson, with Santana moving to first and Hanny to 3rd, why was OCab still in the game and coming up to bat? He was the 3rd baseman last night. Phelps was playing second base.

And I don't agree that it's nitpicky to bring in a good left-handed hitter to face a right-handed pitcher with two on and a one-run lead in the 8th inning. Especially since OCab had virtually no chance of getting a hit and damn near grounded into a double play that would have ended the inning. They were going to take him out of the game after his at-bat anyway for defensive reasons, and they did.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 am

Couple of notes/observations:

-Good job by the Tomlin-ator. He was in command the entire evening and didn't get ruffled when Wiggi wigged out. He just came back and threw strikes.

-Shot out of a cannon: nice diving catch by Grady.. the old grady.. the fearless grady.. the grady that clown on the south side called 'superman'.. (btw.. we have a new one of those: Supe-Herrmann !!)

-Choo seems to be regressing in the outfield and progressing at the plate. His decision making in the field doesn't seem to be as instinctive as it once was. Don't be surprised, in the future, to see him move to LF, imho.. or get some AB's as the DH for no other reason than to give him a mental health break. His bat is REALLY beginning to look good.

-Cord is going to get a steady diet of slow curves and out of the zone change ups if he can't prove he can hit them. IDK if he's trying to hit the ball too hard or if he's just fooled...but, for more than a couple of at bats during this series, he looked over matched on breaking pitches..

-Ocabby with the ole at 3B: while it's a tough play, to be sure, taking one step to his left and "glove to the ground" was the order for that grounder. By ole'ing that grounder, It brought up Giambi who was promptly induced to pop up to Droobs. Nice to see the pitcher pick up his defense, there..

PRONK is just hammering the ball.. nice to see.. SF will be a treat if the hitters keep swinging at good pitches...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
By the time OCabrera hit the team had already subbed in Marson, moved Santana to 1st, and Hannahan to 3rd. If they pinch hit Brantley for Cabrera they would have had Everett playing 2nd, not 3rd - for what it's worth. I just don't know if it's worth burning your entire bench (unless you count Austin Kearns) in a 1 run game. Pretty nitpicky if you ask me. Plus, I'm not as mad because maybe now it's starting to get implanted into their heads that Cabrera shouldn't face a righty, ever.

If they had already subbed in Marson, with Santana moving to first and Hanny to 3rd, why was OCab still in the game and coming up to bat? He was the 3rd baseman last night. Phelps was playing second base.

And I don't agree that it's nitpicky to bring in a good left-handed hitter to face a right-handed pitcher with two on and a one-run lead in the 8th inning. Especially since OCab had virtually no chance of getting a hit and damn near grounded into a double play that would have ended the inning. They were going to take him out of the game after his at-bat anyway for defensive reasons, and they did.

OCab was still in the game because Marson subbed in for Phelps. We know Phelps was playing 2B, that's why when Marson came in for him, Cabrera moved to 2B. Sounds like you missed it, but Phelps was not in the game anymore when Cabrera came up to bat in the 8th inning.

While you have a point about pinch-hitting Brantley there....I have a feeling Acta was giving Brantley a full day off barring an injury to someone. He has been really struggling over the last 3 weeks. Got the day off yesterday and now today....sometimes a mental breather can be effective in helping a guy bust out of a slump. And Lord knows we'll need Brantley on this road trip with Hafner not in the lineup.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:47 pm

While you have a point about pinch-hitting Brantley there....I have a feeling Acta was giving Brantley a full day off barring an injury to someone.

Yeah, I was thinking Manny may have decided before the game that Brantley wasn't playing unless somebody got hurt. I forgot they have a travel day today so maybe Manny wanted to give him two full days off since he has been slumping lately. That's the only reason that makes sense for letting OCab kill a rally late in a one-run game.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:52 pm

For anyone who wants to try their hand at doing a series thread... I'm out of town visiting family for the next several days and won't have the opportunity to do previews for either the Giants or D-Backs.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors