RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Nunnally fired

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Nunnally fired

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 am

Replaced with Bruce Fields.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Re: Nunnally fired

Postby jellis » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:08 pm

saw that, kind of random with the team doing better the best past days, but sucks that he gets fired because our line up was lets face it was pretty talentless, Maybe he was let go over the failures and inability to help choo and CS
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:13 pm

yeah a little surprised by this move. We have been terrible offensively, but injuries played a big part. Agree with jellis....this has to be more about Santana and Choo than the overall slump lately.

That or there was just some kind of rift between him and Acta?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:yeah a little surprised by this move. We have been terrible offensively, but injuries played a big part. Agree with jellis....this has to be more about Santana and Choo than the overall slump lately.

Would figure the company line will be it's about the failures of Santana, Choo, and I guess Sizemore. Everyone else is batting where we expected them, with Hafner and A-Cab better than anyone could expect.

I don't remember, but when the coaching staff was filled out for Acta after his hiring, was Nunnally "his guy" much like Tolman was, or was he one the Indians perhaps told him he would take?
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:21 pm

Sad to see Nunnally go but I can understand the reasoning. The strange thing is choo and carlos seem to be doing better the past few days or so.

Let's be fair- the staff will be different next season. Sandy likely gets a gig with another team & Mike Sarbaugh gets onto the staff (in some capacity).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby stoike » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Hermie13 wrote:yeah a little surprised by this move. We have been terrible offensively, but injuries played a big part. Agree with jellis....this has to be more about Santana and Choo than the overall slump lately.

Not terribly upset by the move, but seems kind of like a token move. The only one that could make this lineup much better, with the glaring weaknesses in offensive talent, would be Jesus himself. This lineup has more holes that a slice of lacy swiss cheese!! :s_tongue
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:53 pm

I don't think the cupboard is as bare as people seem to think it is.

Santana and Marson are underperforming their talent level
LaPorta is underperforming his talent level
O Cabrera is batting below what you would expect of him
Droobs is batting better than he historically has
Hannahan is batting normal
Choo is underperforming
Brantley is batting normal
Sizemore is underperforming
Hafner when healthy is batting well but its tough to attribute that to a hitting coach
Kearns, Duncan, and Everett aren't very good either way

When the team WAS hitting well, it was with runners in scoring position. To me that's sorta more luck than it is coaching. Aside from A Cabrera I wouldn't really say that we were getting the most out of our talent. We've been in first place all year but people are acting like we have no talent whatsoever. Seems like a fine move to me if the clubhouse and management are in favor of it.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Seems a little odd to fire him now but hey what do I know.... Couple of things - Choo, Santana, Sizemore (a little) LaPorta, Hannahan, Everett, OCAB have all been pretty bad this year - for different reasons of course but still bad. So that could be it. Also with what should be an increased amount of guys from Cbus coming up in the not so distant future, Fields might be more ready to work with new guys.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ironmike » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Manny Acta, an exceptional baseball guy, upset and concerned the Indians now have more than 500 team strike outs. Strike outs DO matter. Perhaps Nunnally can get a job with Wedge. It's really ironic that Shapiro supported Wedge's BS baseball strategies, but that was his college football mentality taking over.

Manny Acta is a breath of fresh air.

PS Manny, Sizemore should be attempting at least 2 drag bunts per week. He has regressed as a hitter over the past 3 years and can't use all parts of the field. Santana too, is pull happy.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:44 pm

I wasn't a fan of hiring Nunnally in the first place -- he really didn't have much success making changes to a bunch of free-swingers when he was at Columbus -- but it's not often you see a 1st place team fire a coach. Asdrubal has absolutely exceeded everyone's expectations, and I'm happy with where's Brantley's at, but there isn't a whole lot else to be happy about... then again, guys like Hannahan and O-Cab don't need a hitting coach, they need a miracle. Also, I don't see Fields making any vast improvements, unless he knows where to find an affordable right-handed run producer.

However, I don't think Fields can do any worse. The work he's done and knowledge he has about these hitters from 5+ years in the Tribe system is probably more relevant than anything that can be picked statistically from his three prior years as a major league hitting coach, but... with Detroit, he went in and out with the Alan Trammell regime. He took over one of the worst offenses in the game and they became sort of mediocre. He was there for the best years of Brandon Inge and Craig Monroe, and had some success with Carlos Pena, but those teams were mostly really veteran guys who probably weren't going to change much or kids who had no talent to work with anyway.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Choo is doing much better since he switched to a different bat. Three line drives today. Santana is 4-for-10 this series with a home run and double so he's picking it up, too.

Also, Manny has been saying that guys are trying to do too much with Hafner out. "Trying to hit five-run home runs" is the phrase he used. Obviously he's been telling them to stay within themselves but they weren't listening. Is that the hitting coach's fault?

Maybe Nunnelly got fired because the hitters weren't listening to him. But that means they weren't listening to Acta, either. But there has to be a scapegoat, apparently.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Maybe Nunnelly got fired because the hitters weren't listening to him. But that means they weren't listening to Acta, either. But there has to be a scapegoat, apparently.

This is my theory. I think this was a move to get everyone's attention in the club house. The message is clear: the current offensive output in unacceptable.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:51 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Seems a little odd to fire him now but hey what do I know.... Couple of things - Choo, Santana, Sizemore (a little) LaPorta, Hannahan, Everett, OCAB have all been pretty bad this year - for different reasons of course but still bad. So that could be it. Also with what should be an increased amount of guys from Cbus coming up in the not so distant future, Fields might be more ready to work with new guys.

Some of those guys have never hit. How is he responsible? Sizemore looks finished to me. He strikes out at record rates and is a leadoff that cannot hit, walk or even make contact. In May Sizemore hit 143/176/347/573 with 17 Ks in 49 AB. June, when he is further removed from injury, has modestly improved stats of 206/320/349/669 with 25 Ks in 63 AB but is hitting 167 with 17 Ks in 35 AB in his last 10 games. Not sure why Nunally would be responsible for that since Sizemore has not hit in 3 years and for Choo, the drunk driver, but it sounds to me like he is Acta's scapegoat for his bad decisions. It looks like thisis Acta's MO. Blame someone else! :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 am

I always liked Nunnally. It's just a general impression but it seemed like the guys he coached supported him, at least reading players' comments. I guess someone has to take the fall, even if as noted above we don't have a bunch of talent on offense.

I hope Fields does better with the big club than he did with his own sons. He's got two of them in the minors & neither one can hit a lick. Of course, he only had a lifetime coaching them. :biggrin:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 am

Rocky55 wrote:I always liked Nunnally. It's just a general impression but it seemed like the guys he coached supported him, at least reading players' comments. I guess someone has to take the fall, even if as noted above we don't have a bunch of talent on offense.

I hope Fields does better with the big club than he did with his own sons. He's got two of them in the minors & neither one can hit a lick. Of course, he only had a lifetime coaching them. :biggrin:
Those who can't do.. teach..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 am

As I have been tweeting, but an odd decision. I am not a fan of Nunnally, but also don't agree with the reasoning whatsoever with the firing. A kneejerk reaction if you ask me for five weeks of poor hitting, in which time Hafner has been out and some other injuries have come into play. If the pitching staff goes into a 1-2 month tailspin this year we going to fire Belcher now?

Hard to get on Nunnally for Choo. As I recall, Choo had a very good year last season with Nunnally as his hitting coach. Had a very good season in 2009 with Shelton as his hitting coach. In other words, the problems with Choo this year go well beyond the hitting coach. Can't blame Nunnally for them.

And for as much as Santana has been a disappointment, and maybe a guy like LaPorta has not lived up to expectations, what about the resurgence of Hafner and the emergence of Cabrera/Brantley? It's a wash if you ask me.

To me, this is more about trying to remove some of the comfort in the locker room as they were way too comfortable with Nuns. Also have to believe there may be something else at play here that won't be said publicly.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:11 pm

From the PD column:

"We already joined the 500 strikeout club,'' Acta said Sunday morning. "We've run seven left-handed hitters out there just about every day against right-handed pitching and, right now, Asdrubal Cabrera leads our team in home runs (with 12). I think Bruce can probably help with that.''

(clip)

After last Thursday's 6-2 loss to Detroit, Acta criticized his hitters, but he also was unhappy with Nunnally. Acta said that the hitters were showing no signs of improvement and that some of them were too talented to be in two- and three-month slumps.

500 strikeouts. Lack of HRs from left-handed hitters. Talented hitters in two- and three-month slumps. Acta ran out of patience.

Grady has something like 17 Ks in his last 35 ABs. I wonder if the next move is to bench him for a couple of days like they did with Santana. Worked for him - Carlos is producing much better now.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Prosecutor wrote:From the PD column:

"We already joined the 500 strikeout club,'' Acta said Sunday morning. "We've run seven left-handed hitters out there just about every day against right-handed pitching and, right now, Asdrubal Cabrera leads our team in home runs (with 12). I think Bruce can probably help with that.''

(clip)

After last Thursday's 6-2 loss to Detroit, Acta criticized his hitters, but he also was unhappy with Nunnally. Acta said that the hitters were showing no signs of improvement and that some of them were too talented to be in two- and three-month slumps.

500 strikeouts. Lack of HRs from left-handed hitters. Talented hitters in two- and three-month slumps. Acta ran out of patience.

Grady has something like 17 Ks in his last 35 ABs. I wonder if the next move is to bench him for a couple of days like they did with Santana. Worked for him - Carlos is producing much better now.

yeah, who do we blame for Sizemore, if anyone? Nunnally because he can't get a "talented hitter" to hit even though Sizemore has not hit with that talent in three years? Acta, because he keeps throwing this poor shlub out there in the leadoff spot who has not hit in three years? Or Sizemore, who just may be too broke to fix? :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:

(clip)

yeah, who do we blame for Sizemore, if anyone? Nunnally because he can't get a "talented hitter" to hit even though Sizemore has not hit with that talent in three years? Acta, because he keeps throwing this poor shlub out there in the leadoff spot who has not hit in three years? Or Sizemore, who just may be too broke to fix? :pleasantry:

meh, I blame people on this site who seem to think a .788 OPS and .343 OBP is bad. guess Nunnally did deserve to get fired since Brantley is obviously a bad leadoff guy (.339 OBP). :rolleyes:

Not sure why you should blame Acta for throwing the "poor shlub" in the leadoff spot. Who should he hit there, Brantley? As bad as Grady has been, he has a higher OBP this month (JUNE, in bold for you ink) than Brantley.

And even worse, in their last 10 games (the NY series and on), Brantley has a whopping .205 OBP with 2 walks. Grady is "terrible" as well with a .310 OBP and 6 walks. And apparently Grady "can't walk" so don't even know what you call Brantley now.

Hard to bench Grady now when he's a better CF and leadoff option than Brantley.

Saying Grady hasn't hit for 3 years is also a stretch considering his OPS was well over .800 in the second half of 2009 and he's had less than 75 games since

Will say this, don't blame Nunnally for Grady's fall (and agree he's fallen). Nunnally couldn't prevent the knee injuries.

Also agree that Grady needs to pick it up. He's better than this....but sad thing is, Grady at half strength looks better than the alternatives.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

(clip)

500 strikeouts. Lack of HRs from left-handed hitters. Talented hitters in two- and three-month slumps. Acta ran out of patience. Grady has something like 17 Ks in his last 35 ABs. I wonder if the next move is to bench him for a couple of days like they did with Santana. Worked for him - Carlos is producing much better now.

meh, I blame people on this site who seem to think a .788 OPS and .343 OBP is bad. guess Nunnally did deserve to get fired since Brantley is obviously a bad leadoff guy (.339 OBP). :rolleyes:

Not sure why you should blame Acta for throwing the "poor shlub" in the leadoff spot. Who should he hit there, Brantley? As bad as Grady has been, he has a higher OBP this month (JUNE, in bold for you ink) than Brantley.

And even worse, in their last 10 games (the NY series and on), Brantley has a whopping .205 OBP with 2 walks. Grady is "terrible" as well with a .310 OBP and 6 walks. And apparently Grady "can't walk" so don't even know what you call Brantley now.

Hard to bench Grady now when he's a better CF and leadoff option than Brantley.

Saying Grady hasn't hit for 3 years is also a stretch considering his OPS was well over .800 in the second half of 2009 and he's had less than 75 games since

Will say this, don't blame Nunnally for Grady's fall (and agree he's fallen). Nunnally couldn't prevent the knee injuries.

Also agree that Grady needs to pick it up. He's better than this....but sad thing is, Grady at half strength looks better than the alternatives.

Would rather see Zeke at leadoff than Sizemore! :search:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:03 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Would rather see Zeke at leadoff than Sizemore! :search:

ha, fair enough. But don't think Brantley has fallen so far that we remove him from the lineup for Carrera :wink:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

ha, fair enough. But don't think Brantley has fallen so far that we remove him from the lineup for Carrera :wink:

OK, I can live with that. BTW, it is meaningless but I think you might have misread the June numbers for the two. The Indians website has Brantley with better numbers from what I see. I am not adverse to having Grady work out his problems way down in the order but he is just killing us at the top of the order IMO. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:46 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

OK, I can live with that. BTW, it is meaningless but I think you might have misread the June numbers for the two. The Indians website has Brantley with better numbers from what I see. I am not adverse to having Grady work out his problems way down in the order but he is just killing us at the top of the order IMO. :friends:

Brantley has passed him in OPS for the month, but in June Grady has a .313 OBP (w/ 7 walks) and Brantley a .306 OBP (w/ 6 walks). Both are disgustingly bad numbers for leadoff men...

So while you can get upset with how Grady has hit at the top of the lineup, I just don't see unless you want Choo or Santana there a better alternative (Carrera, no thanks) at the moment. But to each their own.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Today the Bruce Fields era begins! Color me unimpressed so far. :cry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Today the Bruce Fields era begins! Color me unimpressed so far. :cry:

Wasn't he in the dugout yesterday?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors