RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Garcia continues to baffle the Tribe with change-ups. Hopefully they'll start to time it better the second and third time through the lineup. The question is how long Tomlin can keep these guys off the board with his arsenal of breaking balls.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:00 pm

This guy Gardner is killing us. He's 5-for-9 this series. Must be nice to have a #9 hitter that can get on base.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Random thoughts:

1) Kearns is awful. Why is he here? He's not even a power hitter anymore because he can't make contact. Also has no speed and doesn't cover a lot of territory in left.
2) Santana shouldn't be hitting cleanup, especially with Hafner not behind him. His forte is getting on base, now if he gets in base odds are the 5-7 hitters we have aren't going to drive him in.
3) Everyone seems to be pressing when up at the plate. Times like these a good clubhouse leader can find a way to brighten up the mood while leading by example. Especially with Choo it all seems mental and he's being too hard on himself. In other words, he's the perfect guy to pull a prank on now.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Tondo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Tondo wrote:Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:


Don't know of a 1B that makes that play. He's lucky he didnt lose an eye. Bad hop. Manning is an idiot. Cant stand that guy. TV on mute yet again.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Tondo wrote:Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:


Don't know of a 1B that makes that play. He's lucky he didnt lose an eye. Bad hop. Manning is an idiot. Cant stand that guy. TV on mute yet again.


Yup, it was a horrible hop. Can't get on Laporta for that play at all, just like how the Yankees won't bench Jeter for the ball OCab hit to him.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Tondo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:46 pm

It was playable imho, it wasn't a very bad hop (some english spin at best) and there was distance from the hop to him...could have easily adjusted or at least kept it in front of him which would have been enough for 1 out...all that if properly concentrated on the ball of course...that was the problem imho, his brain wasn't in that play...that's what it looked to me
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Kearns misplayed the ARod double. A competent OF would have caught that one.

While I understand the idea of having Grady DH today (protect the knees), what is the updated status of Travis Buck?? I really was wondering about Kearns over Buck today and that decision has cost the Tribe at least a few runs here in the 5th inning.

And don't get me started on the throw home on the sac fly -- horrible. :bad:
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Tondo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Another lazy effort by The Door...I expect my 1B to make that play or at least stop it from going further....I've seen enough of this...I have no problems watching losses, but I absolutely hate it when the effort isn't there.

They play like they expect tolose and don't care anymore :s_sad
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Tondo wrote:...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:



And how!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Kearns should have had the ball..

Kearns should have thrown the ball that he did catch on target..

Kearns just can't play..

The offense is futile... they just can't get a run in.. execution of offensive fundamentals just isn't there. It's discouraging..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Anyone who thinks that fielding percentage really means something just needs to watch this game today. Although when Jeter avoids the obvious error it's called intangibles. Seriously, I thought I must have tapped into the YES broadcast when Manning was going on and on and on and on about how LaPorta should have been charged with an error, but he and Underwood both immediately declared a single on O-Cab's grounder right at Jeter and never questioned it.

Please tell me we're watching the last days of Austin Kearns wearing Chief Wahoo. They head to Detroit after tomorrow night's game... just throw Kearns out over Cleveland.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Tondo wrote:Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:


Didnt see this game but his hitting alone should put him on the bench. The Indians need to admit they missed on him. Do they really think theyre fooling the fans by continuing to play him? "See we got a starting 1B for CC!!" He is at best a Shelley Duncan type, who can pinch hit and maybe start once a week. No team can win with such little production from 1B.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby jellis » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Prosecutor wrote:This guy Gardner is killing us. He's 5-for-9 this series. Must be nice to have a #9 hitter that can get on base.


he wasnt until he was facing the Tribe
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby jellis » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:49 pm

even with the bad defense, tomlin is leveling out majorly his hit rate was impossible to sustain
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:04 pm

It's gotten to the point where if Durbin comes into the game, I just hope he gets hammered. Maybe then the guys in charge will realize that he's terrible.

I can't understand this teams loyalty to veterans who underperform. Would be nice if we just played the best players but that's not happening or else Herrmann, Durbin, Kearns, Everett, and Cabrera wouldn't be on this roster.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:13 pm

I suspect that Kearns and Durbin will not make the trip to Detroit.

Also, interesting comments on Bastian's twitter about Antonetti saying that Kipnis is close to ML ready.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby hoof32 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Please tell me we're watching the last days of Austin Kearns wearing Chief Wahoo. They head to Detroit after tomorrow night's game... just throw Kearns out over Cleveland.


Wow, pretty harsh. Give that 'Casino' DVD you're watching a rest.
hoof32
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Tondo wrote:Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:


Didnt see this game but his hitting alone should put him on the bench. The Indians need to admit they missed on him. Do they really think theyre fooling the fans by continuing to play him? "See we got a starting 1B for CC!!" He is at best a Shelley Duncan type, who can pinch hit and maybe start once a week. No team can win with such little production from 1B.


LaPorta is 4th on this team right now in OPS (only 6 pts behind Brantley and better than both Santana and Choo). Why anyone would want to bench him is the real mystery.

I mean, yeah he's got his issues and needs to still improve, but he needs to be in the lineup everyday (or nearly).
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Tondo wrote:Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:


Didnt see this game but his hitting alone should put him on the bench. The Indians need to admit they missed on him. Do they really think theyre fooling the fans by continuing to play him? "See we got a starting 1B for CC!!" He is at best a Shelley Duncan type, who can pinch hit and maybe start once a week. No team can win with such little production from 1B.


LaPorta is 4th on this team right now in OPS (only 6 pts behind Brantley and better than both Santana and Choo). Why anyone would want to bench him is the real mystery.

I mean, yeah he's got his issues and needs to still improve, but he needs to be in the lineup everyday (or nearly).


"hes doing better than Santana and Choo" is hardly a vote of confidence
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Tondo wrote:Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:


Didnt see this game but his hitting alone should put him on the bench. The Indians need to admit they missed on him. Do they really think theyre fooling the fans by continuing to play him? "See we got a starting 1B for CC!!" He is at best a Shelley Duncan type, who can pinch hit and maybe start once a week. No team can win with such little production from 1B.


LaPorta is 4th on this team right now in OPS (only 6 pts behind Brantley and better than both Santana and Choo). Why anyone would want to bench him is the real mystery.

I mean, yeah he's got his issues and needs to still improve, but he needs to be in the lineup everyday (or nearly).


"hes doing better than Santana and Choo" is hardly a vote of confidence



If we had someone better at the job available, like an Anthony Rizzo or an Eric Hosmer then sure, bench LaPorta. But as it stands we do not so you're going to have to put up with his growing pains. I remember not too long ago plenty of people wanted us to give up on a 2nd baseman by the name of Brandon Phillips. Finally we did and that one turned out well. Same with Jeremy Guthrie and heck, people doubted Cliff Lee at a point too. LaPorta is an easy target to pick on and everyone likes to play armchair GM and think that one move will cause a domino effect of excellence but it's unfortunately not that simple.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm

At the outset of the season, it was understood (and at least half heartedly agreed) that Matt Laporta, along with several other "kids" were going to be given the chance to develop, learn, fail and regroup while playing what was then considered to be a developmental year..

Well.. it's the same year and the same plan exists.. Sure, Matt LaPorta shoulda woulda coulda all day today, but, it wasn't happening. (BTW.. Rick Manning's commentary on LaPorta's day was either brutally honest or brutally biased, I'm not certain which at this stage) Growth is learning from the mistakes you make.. Matt Laporta is & remains the Indians starting 1B and has a wonderful opportunity to grow after today's debacle in NYC.

Kearns? no growth will be forthcoming... that's a different story..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Edible14 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:26 pm

LaPorta isn't the issue. I didn't see the play today (was listening on the radio at work), but he's made some really nice plays this year too. Over a 162 game season... lapses happen. He's certainly a better defensive option than Santana, whose footwork is painful to watch. There's quite a few other positions that would need to be addressed before 1B. 2B, 3B, and LF and DH are all bad right now (except when Brantley is playing LF).

This is a young team, and there are going to be growing pains. However, if the goal is 2012, I wonder if we shouldn't be calling some of the younger guys up now, so that they're better prepared to contend next year. Obviously it's a case-by-case basis, but I wonder if Chiz, Weglarz, Goedert, etc. might be better off getting up here sooner. I wish those 3 had been healthy and productive all year, because then they might all be options to give the club an injection of hitting and youth.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't believe in bringing up players from the minors who haven't demonstrated they're ready to play in the bigs. I don't think Chiz and Wegs have shown they can succeed at AAA yet. As for Goedert, I don't think he would be an improvement over Buck.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I don't believe in bringing up players from the minors who haven't demonstrated they're ready to play in the bigs. I don't think Chiz and Wegs have shown they can succeed at AAA yet. As for Goedert, I don't think he would be an improvement over Buck.


Goedert would be an improvement if he could play and Buck still isn't able to.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby martyinnewyork » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:45 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the sweep is a given already. No chance the Indians win tomorrow. And whoever mentioned Weglarz and Chizenhall, Nick hasn't done a thing yet this year, having just been activated, and Lonnie is in a 1-27 (or thereabouts) slump. Even Everett is hotter than that...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Edible14 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I don't believe in bringing up players from the minors who haven't demonstrated they're ready to play in the bigs. I don't think Chiz and Wegs have shown they can succeed at AAA yet. As for Goedert, I don't think he would be an improvement over Buck.


To be clear, I'm not arguing they should be up. I'm saying they might be options if they hadn't been hurt (in Wegz/Goedert's case) or had been playing better (Chiz and Kipnis). It would be wonderful if we had guys knocking down the door in AAA. We don't. The guys who were really swinging well early in the year have since cooled (Head, Huffman), and despite how well Columbus is doing... nobody down there looks like they'd be a slam-dunk improvement.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:48 pm

There is nothing in the minors or in a trade that is going to fix the problems offensively for this team right now. THe only cure is to cure themselves and get some of the guys who are seriously underperforming to get it going. That's it. It means Choo needs to wake up, Hafner needs to get healthy, Sizemore needs to find it again, and Santana needs to start being more consistent.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:49 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Tondo wrote:Ok, how bout benching LaPorta for a while or at least tomorrow? 1st his horrible AB with no outs and runner on 2nd and now he cost Tomlin 2 outs on Defense because he was sleeping...this team is just horrible to watch right now :bad:


Didnt see this game but his hitting alone should put him on the bench. The Indians need to admit they missed on him. Do they really think theyre fooling the fans by continuing to play him? "See we got a starting 1B for CC!!" He is at best a Shelley Duncan type, who can pinch hit and maybe start once a week. No team can win with such little production from 1B.


LaPorta is 4th on this team right now in OPS (only 6 pts behind Brantley and better than both Santana and Choo). Why anyone would want to bench him is the real mystery.

I mean, yeah he's got his issues and needs to still improve, but he needs to be in the lineup everyday (or nearly).


"hes doing better than Santana and Choo" is hardly a vote of confidence



If we had someone better at the job available, like an Anthony Rizzo or an Eric Hosmer then sure, bench LaPorta. But as it stands we do not so you're going to have to put up with his growing pains. I remember not too long ago plenty of people wanted us to give up on a 2nd baseman by the name of Brandon Phillips. Finally we did and that one turned out well. Same with Jeremy Guthrie and heck, people doubted Cliff Lee at a point too. LaPorta is an easy target to pick on and everyone likes to play armchair GM and think that one move will cause a domino effect of excellence but it's unfortunately not that simple.


Comparing him to Phillips is ridiculous. Maybe morons wanted to get rid of Phillips but he absolutely lit it up that spring training and pretty much everyone expected (and wanted) him to get the job. When the Lee trade rumors came up maybe 4,5 years ago when he was struggling I wanted to trade Sowers instead of him. LaPorta is not good and I said that after watching him a couple years ago in I believe the WBC. Have no problem with his defense and hope Im wrong about his offense.

Is Nick Johnson going to play any 1B or strictly DH? They could use a guy that can get on base.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:45 am

I saw Nick Johnson yesterday in Buffalo. The guy looks old and slow. Doesn't look like much help.
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:54 am

Nick Johnson IS old and slow. LaPorta is young and slow. Or did you mean his bat looked slow? Coming off wrist surgery, that's not surprising. He'll need time to get the strength and quickness back, if he can.

Tribe stole five bases yesterday and managed to score only one run and it didn't involve a stolen base. What's the point of stealing bases when you have no ability to hit with RISP? Maybe it's some kind of conditioning program Manny is trying.

6 for their last 68 with RISP kinda tells it all. We knew they couldn't keep hitting over .300 with RISP like they did in April, but I didn't expect it to get this bad.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Edible14 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:43 am

Prosecutor wrote:Tribe stole five bases yesterday and managed to score only one run and it didn't involve a stolen base. What's the point of stealing bases when you have no ability to hit with RISP? Maybe it's some kind of conditioning program Manny is trying.

6 for their last 68 with RISP kinda tells it all. We knew they couldn't keep hitting over .300 with RISP like they did in April, but I didn't expect it to get this bad.


Hitting with RISP is not a skill, and never has been. You may randomly hit higher/lower than your regular line for a period of time, but eventually everyone regresses back to the mean there.

Of all the losses this series, I'm most comfortable with this one. At least the team hit, even if they didn't score. That's a positive going forward.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:16 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Tribe stole five bases yesterday and managed to score only one run and it didn't involve a stolen base. What's the point of stealing bases when you have no ability to hit with RISP? Maybe it's some kind of conditioning program Manny is trying.

6 for their last 68 with RISP kinda tells it all. We knew they couldn't keep hitting over .300 with RISP like they did in April, but I didn't expect it to get this bad.


Hitting with RISP is not a skill, and never has been. You may randomly hit higher/lower than your regular line for a period of time, but eventually everyone regresses back to the mean there.

Of all the losses this series, I'm most comfortable with this one. At least the team hit, even if they didn't score. That's a positive going forward.
I guess if you're looking for the silver lining.. it is that.. the Indians did have 8 hits in the game.. The gods of baseball have to let the "...number of 2 out rallies..." even out, at least hopefully. Just one hit w/ RISP and two outs.. would be nice...

:s_crazy
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Edible14 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:23 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:I guess if you're looking for the silver lining.. it is that.. the Indians did have 8 hits in the game.. The gods of baseball have to let the "...number of 2 out rallies..." even out, at least hopefully. Just one hit w/ RISP and two outs.. would be nice...


Not saying that it's uber-positive. But of the three losses in this series, this has probably been the most comforting. Getting baserunners in every inning is nice. If you can get around 10 hits in a game, you're going to score some runs eventually. So, I'm okay with just being unlucky and having the hits so spread out as opposed to not getting nearly enough baserunners and letting the likes of Ivan Nova shut the team down.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Too many two-out singles with the bases empty. Choo had a seven or eight game hitting streak a few weeks ago where he had exactly one single in each game with zero RBIs. If you can't bunch a few hits together there's not much point in hitting bases empty singles and swiping second base with two out.

Bad luck that will eventually even out? Manny says they're trying to win the game with one swing instead of taking what the pitcher gives them. That's not bad luck, that's a bad hitting approach.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby InsaneJedi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Fantastic. Dayton is part of the blackout zone for ESPN, but it's outside the area of STO. :diablo:

What's the point of nationally televising the game if I can't get it anyway?
InsaneJedi
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 11:34 am

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 pm

InsaneJedi wrote:Fantastic. Dayton is part of the blackout zone for ESPN, but it's outside the area of STO. :diablo:

What's the point of nationally televising the game if I can't get it anyway?


Insane, try going to ESPN3.com, I don't know if the blackout rules apply to them as well. Worth a shot I guess.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Tondo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Wow, Phelps looks horrible at the plate so far...guess we have to endure this until he settles down but somewhat disappointed in him, expected a better eye especially...the ABs just don't give much hope, he'll get at least 1 or 2 more weeks but if this doesn't improve our upper levels MIF depth is deep....Valbuena is swinging a hot bat and Donald will come back from injury...sooo Mr Phelps may be on a short leash THIS season

Carrasco is a different pitcher, he grew....he's being "clutch" lately...I was very skeptical when we aquired him but he's a guy I quickly saw the "upside" in and started believing. Like his stuff a lot, he just needed more confidence and it's growing in front of our eyes in his last starts and tonight...great to see :s_thumbsup
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:54 pm

who would have ever thought we see carrasco work through early trouble with control, and not be intimated by a big time line up. He has the bet pitch mix of any guy we have, if he is gaining confidence he is a legit 2 type.Hell of a game by the kid, back to back nails starts have me getting excited that he might be who people once thought he could be
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Wow, back to back 1-0 wins through Carrasco. Stopper! :crazy:
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Fantastic job by the bullpen to clinch the win there. Carrasco deserved the win and they made sure that he got it. Pestano, Smith, Sipp, and Perez x 2 with ERA's of less than 2.7 each is just fantastic and will keep giving us a chance in tight games like these. Add in Putnam, Judy, Hagadone, Adam Miller, Stowell, Bryson, and CC Lee and you've got yourselves the makings of a bullpen that may be something special for years to come.

Coming away 1-3 in a series versus the Yankees in New York while getting outscored 24-9 is a robbery, but I'll take it!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Glad to be wrong about the sweep. Man, Car Car is a different pitcher, stayed cool. And Perez strikes out the side to end it!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Glad to be wrong about the sweep. Man, Car Car is a different pitcher, stayed cool. And Perez strikes out the side to end it!

-Liked the new lineup.. Would like to see Choo lead off when Grady needs a day off..

-CP blew them away in the 9th..

-Has anyone seen so many whiners about the strike calls in one inning?. balls right down the middle and the Yyankees are whining.. Good outing by Car-Car.. turning the corner and becoming more consistent..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:Glad to be wrong about the sweep. Man, Car Car is a different pitcher, stayed cool. And Perez strikes out the side to end it!

-Liked the new lineup.. Would like to see Choo lead off when Grady needs a day off..

-CP blew them away in the 9th..

-Has anyone seen so many whiners about the strike calls in one inning?. balls right down the middle and the Yyankees are whining.. Good outing by Car-Car.. turning the corner and becoming more consistent..


They weren't right down the middle but they were definitely strikes. ESPN had the K-Zone up and it clearly painted the corner on them and in Swisher's at bat Perez actually didn't get the 2nd pitch strike call and THAT one was perfectly placed on the edge. Then against Posada, Jorge didn't really complain he just shook his head and walked away because it was a fantastic fastball with nasty movement that went from being a clear ball to grazing the inside.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:56 am

Tondo wrote:Wow, Phelps looks horrible at the plate so far...guess we have to endure this until he settles down but somewhat disappointed in him, expected a better eye especially...the ABs just don't give much hope, he'll get at least 1 or 2 more weeks but if this doesn't improve our upper levels MIF depth is deep....Valbuena is swinging a hot bat and Donald will come back from injury...sooo Mr Phelps may be on a short leash THIS season

Carrasco is a different pitcher, he grew....he's being "clutch" lately...I was very skeptical when we aquired him but he's a guy I quickly saw the "upside" in and started believing. Like his stuff a lot, he just needed more confidence and it's growing in front of our eyes in his last starts and tonight...great to see :s_thumbsup


Phelps is off to a rather poor start to his ML career. Perhaps it's the tension/nervousness?.. perhaps it's guys throwing 90+ mph fastballs that shave the black at the knees & off speed pitches that dip and dive like a wiffle ball.. something he HASN'T seen ever before. A return trip to Columbus is possible, but, the Indians will probably give him at least 30-50 AB's before making the decision. Eye opening, to say the least.. :shok: :shok:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:08 am

entertheshoe wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:Glad to be wrong about the sweep. Man, Car Car is a different pitcher, stayed cool. And Perez strikes out the side to end it!

-Liked the new lineup.. Would like to see Choo lead off when Grady needs a day off..

-CP blew them away in the 9th..

-Has anyone seen so many whiners about the strike calls in one inning?. balls right down the middle and the Yyankees are whining.. Good outing by Car-Car.. turning the corner and becoming more consistent..


They weren't right down the middle but they were definitely strikes. ESPN had the K-Zone up and it clearly painted the corner on them and in Swisher's at bat Perez actually didn't get the 2nd pitch strike call and THAT one was perfectly placed on the edge. Then against Posada, Jorge didn't really complain he just shook his head and walked away because it was a fantastic fastball with nasty movement that went from being a clear ball to grazing the inside.
I didn't get the benefit of seeing K-zone on STO. STO shows about a half dozen to dozen pitches each game on K-Zone as there just isn't enough time for the 'crack" announcing duo of Matt & Rick to focus in on what a pitcher is doing.. Matt Underwood is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy asking Rick Manning inane questions about who's bat Thome used to hit his first homer back in the stone age while Rick is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy announcing Band Rehearsal Shows and Edna May Kowalski's 93rd birthday the day before yesterday.. I know, I know.. these birthday announcements are endearing to their audience, who's depth of baseball knowledge isn't exactly what anyone would describe as 'deep'.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:47 pm

InsaneJedi wrote:Fantastic. Dayton is part of the blackout zone for ESPN, but it's outside the area of STO. :diablo:

What's the point of nationally televising the game if I can't get it anyway?


Game was shown in the Toledo area by ESPN. Odd, nothing with them surprises me.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I said after Carrasco shut out the Twins for 8 innings that I would withhold judgement until he faced a real batting order. OK, the Yankees qualify.

Fantastic game by the kid. Tremendous composure in the first inning with the bases loaded, no outs, and down 2-0 to ARod with Cano on deck. Then as the game went on he found his rhythm and was getting tons of swings and misses. He had all his pitches working and it was beautiful to watch.

Now we just need to get Fausto and Tomlin back on track.

I don't think Phelps has hit a line drive yet in 15 ABs or thereabouts. I feel sorry for the kid. There's a world of difference between major league and AAA pitchers and he's finding out the hard way. Reminds me of Brantley last April. Phelps actually hitting a fair ball in this third at-bat against Burnett was an accomplishment, even if it was just a weak grounder.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Indians at Yankees, June 10, 11, 12 & 13

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Well.. it won't get any easier for the kid (Cord) tonight, if he's in the starting lineup.. Verlander is a tough customer who eats rookies for a snack...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron