RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Nick Johnson

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Nick Johnson

Postby Dave9819 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:03 pm

I see that Nick Johnson has been assign to Akron for some rehab. What are the chances that he plays for the Indians this season?
Dave9819
Undrafted Free Agent

Re: Nick Johnson

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Dave9819 wrote:I see that Nick Johnson has been assign to Akron for some rehab. What are the chances that he plays for the Indians this season?

How much he plays in Cleveland may well depend on Hafner's availability and performance IMO. If Johnson is healthy and performing near his peak, he is a force offensively and may be baseball's premier defensive 1B. I doubt he rushes LaPorta off 1B but you never know. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm

As long as he is healthy enough - hes on the team in Sept.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
Dave9819 wrote:I see that Nick Johnson has been assign to Akron for some rehab. What are the chances that he plays for the Indians this season?

How much he plays in Cleveland may well depend on Hafner's availability and performance IMO. If Johnson is healthy and performing near his peak, he is a force offensively and may be baseball's premier defensive 1B. I doubt he rushes LaPorta off 1B but you never know. :pleasantry:

Only in 2006 would I consider him being "A Force". He does have a career OPS over .800 which means he is a good offensive option but that is mostly because of his OBP (career .401). Also in 2006 he lead NL in errors but he did have a good zone rating. Nick had a ton of potential but never really put it all together (unless you consider 2006 where he hit 23 HRs but other than that he only average 10Hrs a season (2 15's and 1 14). That said, he should be able to help the Tribe if healthy.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Johnson to me is more insurance for Hafner/LaPorta this year. If both are healthy, I don't see any way you get Johnson in there. Still more a move for next year and insurance for later in the year. I agree that he is a September option most likely.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:32 pm

195 games the last 4 1/3 seasons. Very good hitter though. Is he strictly a DH at this point?
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:22 am

daingean wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Only in 2006 would I consider him being "A Force". He does have a career OPS over .800 which means he is a good offensive option but that is mostly because of his OBP (career .401). Also in 2006 he lead NL in errors but he did have a good zone rating. Nick had a ton of potential but never really put it all together (unless you consider 2006 where he hit 23 HRs but other than that he only average 10Hrs a season (2 15's and 1 14). That said, he should be able to help the Tribe if healthy.

While your stats are accurate technically, I believe they are misleading because of his time on the DL. He performed very well in his healthy seasons with an OPS around 900. Is there something wrong with high OBP? Seems to me we could use a LH hitter like that with our strikeout prone LH bats (excluding Brantley, of course). :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby ironmike » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:12 am

If healthy, Johnson will be with the Indians in July. Johnson is a professional hitter. The Indians will find a place for him. Tony, I hope you are correct about possibly trading for Matt Kemp.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:42 am

ironmike wrote:If healthy, Johnson will be with the Indians in July. Johnson is a professional hitter. The Indians will find a place for him. Tony, I hope you are correct about possibly trading for Matt Kemp.

July? I don't see it. Nick Johnson is a guy whose position is filled in Cleveland. LaPorta has faired decently well this season and Hafner should return and has performed well this season. Where else are you going to put him?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ironmike wrote:If healthy, Johnson will be with the Indians in July. Johnson is a professional hitter. The Indians will find a place for him. Tony, I hope you are correct about possibly trading for Matt Kemp.

July? I don't see it. Nick Johnson is a guy whose position is filled in Cleveland. LaPorta has faired decently well this season and Hafner should return and has performed well this season. Where else are you going to put him?

Yeah. I don't see it either. Any bench guy will need to play more than 1 position because of limited roster space.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Unless they're considering putting LaPorta in the outfield for some games... it's not happening. Especially when Santana needs some time at 1B anyway.

However, should Hafner not recover/reaggravate his injury... I think Johnson would probably be a better vs. RHP DH than Buck.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 am

Yeah, Johnson is not really an option unless Hafner is out much longer or LaPorta gets hurt. There is no other way to get him into the lineup. He's more insurance for this year and more an option for next season (and late this year as Sept callup).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:05 am

Johnson is a .270 hitter for his career with a .401 OBP. LaPorta isn't going to come anywhere near either of those numbers and as for power, he's on pace for about 15 HRs. I think Johnson is the better player. However, LaPorta has been swinging the bat pretty well the last couple of weeks so if he can keep it up then it changes the equation.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 am

Prosecutor wrote:Johnson is a .270 hitter for his career with a .401 OBP. LaPorta isn't going to come anywhere near either of those numbers and as for power, he's on pace for about 15 HRs. I think Johnson is the better player. However, LaPorta has been swinging the bat pretty well the last couple of weeks so if he can keep it up then it changes the equation.

LaPorta is the only right-handed batter in the lineup. And playing well. And continuing to get better. No way he is removed from the lineup unless he is hurt or craters offensively.

Only think I can see is having Johnson on the bench to hit against some LH pitching since he is solid there even though he is LH and LaPorta for whatever reason has struggled against it. But again, so damn LH heavy with the lineup.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 am

Correction, LaPorta has 8 HRs so he's on pace for about 22. I think it all depends on whether he continues to progress or whether he falls back into a funk. Figuring out a way to do some damage against lefties would be really nice.

I love Johnson's .401 OBP versus LaPorta at about .320, but LaPorta has more power and obviously an upside. And who knows if Johnson is still a .270/.401 guy after having a bone removed from his wrist? We'll just have to play it by ear but they should definitely add Johnson to the 40-man to keep their options open.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:52 am

Nick the Stick.. he if he can hit.. the Indians will find a place for him.. be that at a 200 AB/Year rate or more. NJ's history shows he's played nothing but 1B and DH save for a couple of times he was in LF. It just doesn't look like much of a fit.. but if he can hit....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:12 pm

DH/1B Nick Johnson in the house. He is here at Progressive Field with a locker. He's No. 25.

http://twitter.com/#!/CaminoTribe/statu ... 4964732929

Hmmmmmm
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:15 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
DH/1B Nick Johnson in the house. He is here at Progressive Field with a locker. He's No. 25.

http://twitter.com/#!/CaminoTribe/statu ... 4964732929

Hmmmmmm

Any idea what this means anyone? Surely he is not on the 25 this quickly? :dunno:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Seems to me he is more just being evaluated by the team today and since he probably has a scheduled night off with Akron after playing a few days that he will be in Cleveland tonight with the two. Would be VERY odd to assign him to Akron and play 2-3 games and then activate him. Though I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:03 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Seems to me he is more just being evaluated by the team today and since he probably has a scheduled night off with Akron after playing a few days that he will be in Cleveland tonight with the two. Would be VERY odd to assign him to Akron and play 2-3 games and then activate him. Though I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

From what I understand, don't we have to commit to him on the ML roster by months end ?
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Only need to add him to the 40-man roster by July 1st. Does not need to be on ML 25-man roster.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:38 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Only need to add him to the 40-man roster by July 1st. Does not need to be on ML 25-man roster.

Does Johnson have an option left? Or what? Though to be on the 40-man in the minors, you had to be optioned....

40-man spot though is easy to get, slide White to the 60 day (paper move as best case scenario puts him at 60 days on the DL).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:08 am

Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Only need to add him to the 40-man roster by July 1st. Does not need to be on ML 25-man roster.

Does Johnson have an option left? Or what? Though to be on the 40-man in the minors, you had to be optioned....

40-man spot though is easy to get, slide White to the 60 day (paper move as best case scenario puts him at 60 days on the DL).

Good point, never considered that. No he does not have an option, and being a 9-year service time guy he cant be optioned anyway.

So, it appears he does have to be on the 25-man by July 1st unless an agreement is reached where he does not request FA on July 1st.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:10 am

TonyIPI wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Good point, never considered that. No he does not have an option, and being a 9-year service time guy he cant be optioned anyway.

So, it appears he does have to be on the 25-man by July 1st unless an agreement is reached where he does not request FA on July 1st.

The plot thickens...
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby danh8 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:49 am

Hermie13 wrote:

That's how I thought it was, but wasn't positive. These roster issues often lose me.. thanks.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Return to Beyond The Minors