RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

July 1 Lineup/25 Man

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

July 1 Lineup/25 Man

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Ok gang - let's speculate on what our team will look like on July 1. We have a 6 game lead going into June so we should still be fully in contention. What changes will there be?

I have two guesses.

1. McAllister will take Talbots spot in the rotation.

2. Cord will take Everets's place on the 25 man.

3. OCab and Hannahan will split 3b.

Bob
Last edited by Bearcatbob on Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: July 1 Lineup/25 Man

Postby ChadS17 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:46 pm

In addition to yours, I think Chisenhall will be up and Hannahan gone, and the bullpen will be bolstered with Judy/Putnam/Hagadone in place of Durbin/Herrmann.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue May 31, 2011 8:12 am

ChadS17 wrote:In addition to yours, I think Chisenhall will be up and Hannahan gone, and the bullpen will be bolstered with Judy/Putnam/Hagadone in place of Durbin/Herrmann.

You both have the right idea IMO. Whether Chisenhall and Hagadone make it by July 1 is tough to guess but it should not be long after. I also like Jason Donald to be there in that time frame. :drinks:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 am

Hannahan is hitting .178 in the last 30 days, with 3 RBI in 78 ABs. If he has a similar month in June and the Tribe's lead evaporates, I can't see them not bringing up Phelps or Chiz to play 3rd.

Acta was quoted after the game yesterday as saying that OCab does a lot of things that don't show up in the box score and he challenges the other players to raise their level of play. It sounds like there are no plans to replace him with a guy who's never played major league baseball. But if he continues to let ground balls get under his glove, the ones he can get to, that is, I don't see him staying there if the Tribe is in second place.

Talbot has maybe two more starts to show something. McAlister is pitching every bit as well as White did at Columbus. I can't see them letting Talbot get lit up when McAlister has shown he can dominate AAA batters.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 31, 2011 9:49 am

Talbot's start this evening is going to go a long way in deciding what course of action Manny takes w/r to the starting pitching situation. Talbot's first outing (8 runs in 3 innings) after coming off the DL, may have been premature. If he shows progress/improvement.. then the concern about his starting spot may become lesser. Recall, Talbot was considered the fifth starter coming out of ST, so his hold on the spot was precarious to begin with...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue May 31, 2011 11:08 am

The one thing I see with Talbot is that he has a tough time in the first inning. As such - I cannot see how he would be a viable bull pen candidate.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chiefroy » Tue May 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:The one thing I see with Talbot is that he has a tough time in the first inning. As such - I cannot see how he would be a viable bull pen candidate.

well it would hopefully keep him out of the first inning!
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

July 1 Lineup/25 Man

Postby hoof32 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:04 pm

I don't understand why anyone would consider OCab at 3B. He's mediocre at best at 2B... It would not be an upgrade, and there'd be high potential for OCab at 3B to be a trainwreck.

Miguel Tejada is playing third for SF Giants, he's at .217/1/17, salary $6.5MM. Really glad he's not playing in Cleveland... his numbers are tapering off rapidly.

I'm fine with Jack Hannahan at 3B. His defense completely offsets his offensive troubles, and I think he can still improve at the plate. He's not cratering by any means.

Hannahan is playing Gold Glove level defense at third. I'd be wary about replacing him. Again, glad we don't have Jayson Nix kicking the ball around anymore.

Phelps seems being groomed as middle infielder only, not 3B. If there's an injury to one of the Cabrera's, perhaps he'll be the replacement.

I'm also not sold on dumping Adam Everett. He's a good utility infielder and a solid defender. Not the kind of guy you look for three-run homers from, but still valuable, MHO.

In my view, the upgrade to be had at 2B-SS-3B would be the starter at 2B, but Acta has made it clear he has no interest in making that change. So, pretty much status quo, unless there's a trade or injury.
hoof32
Draft Prospect

Postby ACrank » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:31 pm

i'm not sure there are going to be much, if any, changes by July 1 unless injuries intervene (and since this is the Indians that is always a possibility).

Hannahan's defense is going to keep him at third, so the question comes in the O. Cabrera/Everett combo. The temptation would be to release Everett to call up Phelps (or Kipinis, but probably Phelps) w/ O. Cabrera as the new UIF. But Everett seems to be on the team as much for his ability in the clubhouse as he is on the field, and from what i can see he does seem to produce i key spots, so i can't see that change coming anytime soon either.

Yet, i keep harking back to the Alex White call up. While we were debating whether or not it was a wise thing to risk starting his arbitration clock early (with Super 2 and all of that) when the Indians needed a pitcher and he was the next in line, he got promoted.

Same thing is going to happen here. Unless the team takes a huge nosedive, there aren't going to be any changes made until/if an injury happens. The fortunate things are: 1) the team has players ready to step in at key positions, and 2) they didn't need to get promoted before they were ready.

If the team were playing the way most of us were expecting them to play then the decision wouldn't be as difficult.
ACrank
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 pm

hoof32 wrote:I don't understand why anyone would consider OCab at 3B. He's mediocre at best at 2B... It would not be an upgrade, and there'd be high potential for OCab at 3B to be a trainwreck.

Miguel Tejada is playing third for SF Giants, he's at .217/1/17, salary $6.5MM. Really glad he's not playing in Cleveland... his numbers are tapering off rapidly.

I'm fine with Jack Hannahan at 3B. His defense completely offsets his offensive troubles, and I think he can still improve at the plate. He's not cratering by any means.

Hannahan is playing Gold Glove level defense at third. I'd be wary about replacing him. Again, glad we don't have Jayson Nix kicking the ball around anymore.

Phelps seems being groomed as middle infielder only, not 3B. If there's an injury to one of the Cabrera's, perhaps he'll be the replacement.

I'm also not sold on dumping Adam Everett. He's a good utility infielder and a solid defender. Not the kind of guy you look for three-run homers from, but still valuable, MHO.

In my view, the upgrade to be had at 2B-SS-3B would be the starter at 2B, but Acta has made it clear he has no interest in making that change. So, pretty much status quo, unless there's a trade or injury.

Hannahan hit .184/.271/.224/.494 with 0 HRs in the month of May...not really sure what "cratering" means but that's a pretty damn ugly batting line.

Cabrera wasn't a whole lot better though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:21 pm

I think the most obvious move will be Hagadone, Putnam, Judy in the pen. Everett's value lies within the fact he's a utility guy and exp shortstop. At some point we will likely see Phelps before Chizenhall.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think the most obvious move will be Hagadone, Putnam, Judy in the pen. Everett's value lies within the fact he's a utility guy and exp shortstop. At some point we will likely see Phelps before Chizenhall.

I don't think you'll see all 3 of those relievers, barring injury. Judy I can see making an appearance. Putnam might get some time if there are some injuries. I don't think Hagadone gets in unless Sipp or Raffy gets hurt.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:43 pm

If we replace Everett the replacement has to play 3rd. Does that leave Phelps out - or can O Cab play 3b? The lineup tonight was pitiful.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby hoof32 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 am

OCab can't play second, and you wish to know if he can play third? :s_mad
hoof32
Draft Prospect

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:32 am

hoof32 wrote:OCab can't play second, and you wish to know if he can play third? :s_mad

Whatever roster change is made - there have to be two guys who can play SS, two guys who can play 3b and two guys who can play 2b. If Everett is replaced by Phelps - who is the 2nd 3b?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 am

TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:39 am

Pretty interesting that Phelps played third base for Columbus yesterday. Looks like the wheels are in motion for some changes.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:55 am

Prosecutor wrote:Pretty interesting that Phelps played third base for Columbus yesterday. Looks like the wheels are in motion for some changes.

Didn't play 3B. Was going to, but late lineup change moved him to 2B.

But yeah, interesting he is now going to start getting some looks there.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 am

TonyIPI wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:Pretty interesting that Phelps played third base for Columbus yesterday. Looks like the wheels are in motion for some changes.

With the draft being conducted later this evening, the Indians will find themselves, shortly but not immediately, with a lot of fresh bodies and a need for places. This "pressure", either real of perceived will, by Chris Antonetti's own words, be the time when the ML roster is altered. Expectations should range from not much by the end of this week.. to a reshuffling of bodies at the ML level with the ripple effect reaching all the way down to Mahoning Valley and Lake County.

It should be an interesting thirty days.. or so..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:58 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

With the draft being conducted later this evening, the Indians will find themselves, shortly but not immediately, with a lot of fresh bodies and a need for places. This "pressure", either real of perceived will, by Chris Antonetti's own words, be the time when the ML roster is altered. Expectations should range from not much by the end of this week.. to a reshuffling of bodies at the ML level with the ripple effect reaching all the way down to Mahoning Valley and Lake County.

It should be an interesting thirty days.. or so..

Since most guys will either not play if college players or go to MV it wont have a major effect really at all, it happens every year
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah, not really anyone of significance from the Indians draft will sign until really late July or right up to the mid-August signing deadline.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors