RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tressel resigns

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Tressel resigns

Postby TonyIBI » Mon May 30, 2011 9:49 am

Wow....who would have thought something like this back in December before all this stuff hit the fan? Unfathomable. Thought he would be at OSU another 10-15 years at least. Big blow to the program. Question now is who replaces him? Probably one of his assistants for this season on interim basis, and then go full bore for replacement coach after 2012 season. We'll see if all that Urban Meyer talk is real then.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Tressel resigns

Postby daingean » Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 am

I am so thankful that the Tribe is playing as well as they have. This has been a bad year for tOSU and anything to distract me from the day-to-day rumor mongers and doom-sayers has been a welcome site. Good Luck Coach Tressel - thanks for the memories.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon May 30, 2011 10:16 am

Just can't believe it.. seems like this is just a dream. Being a YSU student, where Tressel started, I'm deeply ingrained with support for him. This is an absolutely sad day in Buckeye nation. Thank you for everything, Coach Tressel. You will always be a Buckeye and I will always support you!

Fickell will be the interim head coach for the season, and tOSU will begin coaching search after season. Definitely have to believe this is going to hurt recruiting and you will see transfers.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon May 30, 2011 10:33 am

It is a sad day for Ohio. I have always disliked O$U for their arrogance - but I have always thought Tressel was a good guy.

He clearly violated the first rule of holes in that he did not stop digging.

All the above said - there is some grim satisfaction in now being able to tell some of my sanctimonious O$U fan friends who ragged on the Huggins era at Cincinnati - and tell them to stick it where the sun does not shine!

Hopefully O$U fans will find a little humility within the state.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:39 am

Tressel will be missed. His overall record (106-22) is not easily replaced.

As a person he did a number of great things that are now being over-shadowed by this mess. I saw a few pics on SportsCenter today and it appears that Tressel has lost a chunk of weight. I guess this whole thing has weighed on him heavily.

I guess the hope is with Tressel leaving now, the NCAA will not fall on them like a ton of bricks later. The way it went USC last year, I wouldn't count on it.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon May 30, 2011 10:44 am

Tell you one thing, I think Gene Smith needs to go too.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 am

A.Zajac wrote:Tell you one thing, I think Gene Smith needs to go too.

I am 50/50 on Smith but was 100% behind Tressel. If Smith goes the guy I'd like to see take his place would be former assistant AD Archie Griffin. Archie is well spoken, has experience, and would be just what tOSU needs to have to get honor and integrity back for the university.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:11 am

Reports were going around that Urban Meyer recently bought a house in the Columbus area...not sure if that was ever confirmed?

Fickle coaching the entire 2011 season though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 30, 2011 11:51 am

Good for Tressel....On the face of it, Tressel resignation gives Ohio State a scapegoat.. Sadly, Tressel's resigning will do nothing for the out of control, sanctimonious thugs who dishonor the great institution. They deserve all the guilt they can stomach... having to watch a good man be dishonored for their inappropriate and contemptible actions..

:cry:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:54 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Good for Tressel....On the face of it, Tressel resignation gives Ohio State a scapegoat.. Sadly, Tressel's resigning will do nothing for the out of control, sanctimonious thugs who dishonor the great institution. They deserve all the guilt they can stomach... having to watch a good man be dishonored for their inappropriate and contemptible actions..

:cry:

I agree here to an extent. These kids need to wise up and at the end of the day, no coach can babysit his kids at all times.

That said....Tressel did handle this situation very poorly.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Mon May 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Tell me Buchkeye fans - will Pyror be cheered when he returns?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Mon May 30, 2011 1:15 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Tell me Buchkeye fans - will Pyror be cheered when he returns?

I don't know. Yes Pryor and co. certainly committed the first error (in a chain of errors) which resulted in where we are today. But in my mind, it's the same as anyone that makes a mistake, yes I'm disappointed in him but he is still a Buckeye. I cheer for him. It's not like some of those guy that threw mud after they were gone - those guys are a different story.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Mon May 30, 2011 1:29 pm

I was one of the few students who got to take his coaching football class at OSU that got mentioned at many games, he was a very interesting and nice guy. Correct me if I am wrong but weren't there sanctions to the YS football program after he left stemming from his actions. He is a great coach and Fickell will be here for a year then I expect the Urban Meyer rumors to go through the roof unless we win the big ten, I think Fickell is one and done
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 pm

I guess the hope is with Tressel leaving now, the NCAA will not fall on them like a ton of bricks later. The way it went USC last year, I wouldn't count on it.

- OSU self reported, USC did not. In fact USC made it nearly impossible for the NCAA to investigate. That is why it took 5 years to investigate. If they get hit as hard as USC I see no reason for any school to ever self report again.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Mon May 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:

- OSU self reported, USC did not. In fact USC made it nearly impossible for the NCAA to investigate. That is why it took 5 years to investigate. If they get hit as hard as USC I see no reason for any school to ever self report again.

I am pretty sure we will get hammered, when ever a case becomes this public the NCAA has to make an example
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue May 31, 2011 7:46 pm

Hopefully O$U fans will find a little humility within the state.

Eh if anything they will be more arrogant because no other program in the country would receive this much national attention.

...looks like Pryor is gone for good.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:57 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:

But OSU did not report immediately and did not completely report on what was known. That is why people feel that Tressel was in so much hot water - he contacted Pryor's mentor, not the compliance office or the NCAA.

The NCAA will use this as the opportunity to lower the boom on someone who eventually self reported but not timely or completely. They will then give out a few less than anything penaltys to a few people who self report properly and make a big show of it - do it right and items will be forgiven.

I've heard a few people compare this to the Kelvin Sampson situation with Indiana basketball. Don't know that situation well enough to know if its a good comparison but if they are similar enough, I wouldn't doubt if the severity of punishment is similar.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue May 31, 2011 8:29 pm

But OSU did not report immediately and did not completely report on what was known. That is why people feel that Tressel was in so much hot water - he contacted Pryor's mentor, not the compliance office or the NCAA.

The NCAA will use this as the opportunity to lower the boom on someone who eventually self reported but not timely or completely. They will then give out a few less than anything penaltys to a few people who self report properly and make a big show of it - do it right and items will be forgiven.

I've heard a few people compare this to the Kelvin Sampson situation with Indiana basketball. Don't know that situation well enough to know if its a good comparison but if they are similar enough, I wouldn't doubt if the severity of punishment is similar.

Thought the Kelvin Sampson thing was all about too many phone calls and text messages.

Yes Tressel certainly did not report. But OSU chose to look into his emails and they reported them to the NCAA. Still to be determined on the car stuff. That will obviously be bad if proven to be true. You are probably right though OSU is likely going to get a severe penalty either way.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:06 pm

According to Pryor's attorney, he's not returning for his senior year.

No word on if he's transferring, CFL, UFL, or NFL sup draft....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Hermie13 wrote:According to Pryor's attorney, he's not returning for his senior year.

Hearing supp draft. Good riddance.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:38 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:According to Pryor's attorney, he's not returning for his senior year.

I thought I heard the NFL had cancelled the supp draft this year with the lockout. Even if they didn't, Pryor has no shot of being a pro QB. His wakeup call will be worth watching- if only to be taped for reference to younger kids.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

I thought I heard the NFL had cancelled the supp draft this year with the lockout. Even if they didn't, Pryor has no shot of being a pro QB. His wakeup call will be worth watching- if only to be taped for reference to younger kids.

not canceled just no scheduled because no one had applied for it
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Pryor has almost no chance as a QB (at least right now...) but the dude is such an athlete and big - someone will grab him and try to plug him somewhere WR,TE special teams and wild cat stuff.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:03 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Pryor has almost no chance as a QB (at least right now...) but the dude is such an athlete and big - someone will grab him and try to plug him somewhere WR,TE special teams and wild cat stuff.

I'm not arguing that Pryor isn't an athlete- he is an athlete. Unfotunately, there is a little mental thing that TP will need to harness and its not an automatic. There have been many great athletes that couldn't adjust to the game no longer being centered around them.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors