Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

NBA Draft Lottery/Draft Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: NBA Draft Lottery/Draft Thread

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 pm

So, let's see... Cavs keep Sessions, Davis, and JJ.. we draft Irving and Thompson. And we lose the trade exception. We still have a huge need at 3 and 5.. anyone else left scratching their head a little?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm

A.Zajac wrote:So, let's see... Cavs keep Sessions, Davis, and JJ.. we draft Irving and Thompson. And we lose the trade exception. We still have a huge need at 3 and 5.. anyone else left scratching their head a little?

Haven't lost the trade exception yet.....and we have a bigger need at the 2 than center (would rather have Parker's sister).....but yeah, bit of a headscratcher so far. Gotta be some moves still to come down the line. That or Jamison is going to be seeing time at the 3 :bad:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:So, let's see... Cavs keep Sessions, Davis, and JJ.. we draft Irving and Thompson. And we lose the trade exception. We still have a huge need at 3 and 5.. anyone else left scratching their head a little?

Haven't lost the trade exception yet.....and we have a bigger need at the 2 than center (would rather have Parker's sister).....but yeah, bit of a headscratcher so far. Gotta be some moves still to come down the line. That or Jamison is going to be seeing time at the 3 :bad:

True. With lockout July 1, though, you don't have much more time left for that trade exception...
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Norris Cole goes in 1st round.
Nice for him and the local school. :good:
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Norris Cole goes in 1st round.
Nice for him and the local school. :good:

Agree....

Though you have got to be kidding me......he goes to MIAMI!!!! :s_mad
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Something Stuart said right before the Cole trade was announced confused me - How would Miami get away not having a 1st round pick for 3 year straight years???

I thought the Stepian rules dictated that teams couldn't trade away consecutive 1st round picks.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 pm

The Cavs draft ANOTHER 4... What the hell are they doing!?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Why do I have this feeling that JJ Hickson is being dealt to Dallas (for a 3)?? :search:
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:38 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Something Stuart said right before the Cole trade was announced confused me - How would Miami get away not having a 1st round pick for 3 year straight years???

I thought the Stepian rules dictated that teams couldn't trade away consecutive 1st round picks.

You can trade 1st round picks in back-to-back years....but you have to wait til after the draft to do it. For example, if the Cavs trade their 2012 1st round pick tomorrow....they can not trade their 2013 1st round pick. However, the day after the 2012 draft ends, they are now allowed to trade their 2013 pick since the 2012 draft is over. It's an odd loop-hole. Miami made separate deals to trade their 2009 pick and their 2010 pick in a similar fashion.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Why do I have this feeling that JJ Hickson is being dealt to Dallas (for a 3)?? :search:

hmm......what 3 would we get....marion, Peja, and Butler are their 3's :dunno:

not sure that's the best fit for us (though Hicks wouldn't be a bad backup to Dirk)
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
MadThinker88 wrote:Something Stuart said right before the Cole trade was announced confused me - How would Miami get away not having a 1st round pick for 3 year straight years???

You can trade 1st round picks in back-to-back years....but you have to wait til after the draft to do it. For example, if the Cavs trade their 2012 1st round pick tomorrow....they can not trade their 2013 1st round pick. However, the day after the 2012 draft ends, they are now allowed to trade their 2013 pick since the 2012 draft is over. It's an odd loop-hole. Miami made separate deals to trade their 2009 pick and their 2010 pick in a similar fashion.

Thanks for the explanation Hermie. :drinks:
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:18 pm

This cavs trade with Orlando surprises me.
I figured that player made some sense - he was used to playing in the Princeton offense. Isn't that the offense that Coach Scott tries to run???
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:This cavs trade with Orlando surprises me.
I figured that player made some sense - he was used to playing in the Princeton offense. Isn't that the offense that Coach Scott tries to run???

apparently we're going to play with 2 PGs and 3 PFs this year at all times :fool:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:07 am

I'm smelling a long lockout.

Tons of Euro players being drafted who are not going to be coming over this season.

All but like 6 (or something crazy like that) NBA teams are losing money.

The competitive balance is messed up.

Honestly, I won't mind that much. If it takes losing a season to fix what's wrong with the league, I think it's worth it.

Besides, the Cavs won't be winning next year anyways. Consider it a redshirt year. :s_cool
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:07 am

No David Lighty.....very surprised (especially since Diebs went). Lighty won't be a starter...but on this Cavs team.....he probably could
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am

Hermie13 wrote:

apparently we're going to play with 2 PGs and 3 PFs this year at all times :fool:

So, here's a look at our depth chart....

PG Baron Davis/Kyrie Irving/Ramon Sessions/Manny Harris
SG Anthony Parker/Daniel Gibson
SF Alonzo Gee/Christian Eyenga/Joey Graham
PF JJ Hickson/Antawn Jamison/Tristan Thompson
C Anderson Varejao/Ryan Hollins

Yikes. And watch out, NBA lock out could be worse than the NFL.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby hoof32 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:19 am

Am I the only one who thinks Ryan Hollins is the worst player in the NBA?
hoof32
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 am

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

So, here's a look at our depth chart....

PG Baron Davis/Kyrie Irving/Ramon Sessions/Manny Harris
SG Anthony Parker/Daniel Gibson
SF Alonzo Gee/Christian Eyenga/Joey Graham
PF JJ Hickson/Antawn Jamison/Tristan Thompson
C Anderson Varejao/Ryan Hollins

Yikes. And watch out, NBA lock out could be worse than the NFL.

Did the Cavs re-sign Parker by the way? Cause his contract expired.....

Eyenga would backup Gibson at the 2 then (he's more a 2 anyways due to lack of size).

So much for getting 3 starters in this draft. Irving will eventually....and thompson probably but sad.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:36 am

hoof32 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Ryan Hollins is the worst player in the NBA?

No. There was some advanced metric that had him listed as such.

REmember that Power, Gee, Parker and Jawad are all not under contract for next year. So, as of now, depth chart looks like this:

PG: Irving, Baron Davis, Sessions
SG: Gibson, Manny Harris
SF: Joey Graham, Eyenga
PF: Hickson, Thompson, Jamison
C: Varejao, Samih Erden

With Hollins, Luke Harangoody and Samardo Samuels all under contract as well (and maybe that 2nd rounder we drafted and kept).

Parker probably is leaving for a contender, and as much as I don't blame him, we could use him in the worst way. Our wing guys are almost all terrible defenders, and he's a guy that would actually be useful. I figured that the Cavs might draft Lighty with their first 2nd rounder because of this, but I guess a couple of second rounders in a better draft is a better deal.

They need to trade Jamison and Sessions off for some wing players at some point. They're both at positions where their services aren't needed and could bring back some value.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:34 am

Really..... I give two shits about basketball..... As far as sports go anyway.... When it comes to the cavs they obviously blew a golden chance (blame whoever I dont care) and now they have 2 draft picks in the top 5 or something blah blah blah.....Basketball is simple - talent first coaching a close second. And I dont care what anyone says other than the play-offs,they dont play hard most of the time in the heart of the season and it is well boring....Young guys and good teams make it interesting but with basketball the play-offs are so much better than the reg season (arguably the best play-off games in ALL sports)-i just wait that time of the year to know all i need to know about the great sport of basketball,,,,

Please don't blast me, but the cavs flat out blew it by not making it/winning it while LeBron was here, barely cared then and now whatever.... Yes I am proud to admit I am a fair weather basketball fan, at least when it comes to Cleveland...Now living in Portland I have 2 pro teams to watch... Soccer.... ugh.....or The trailblazers! No ballpark.... Suddenly a basketball fan rainy January nights......By the way the trailblazers kinda kick ass, have a GREAT coach and will be a real force for the next few years... At least they wont blow a great resource like LeBron.....He was that at the VERY least....

I wish the cavs best, but right now they look like losers, not being able to get it done while Lebron was here (he was he for long enough for sure) and scoring great spots in a terrible draft....Cleveland basketball look like it will be suffering for awhile...or will continue anyway.......
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:52 am

By the way the trailblazers kinda kick ass, have a GREAT coach and will be a real force for the next few years...

With Brandon Roy and Greg Oden as 2 of their cornerstone players? I dont think so. If you put them together they have about 1 healthy leg. With Roys contract they are in one of the worst positions in the league. Aldridge is good but they are pretty much stuck in mediocrity for the next 4 or 5 years, the worst place to be in the NBA
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
By the way the trailblazers kinda kick ass, have a GREAT coach and will be a real force for the next few years...

With Brandon Roy and Greg Oden as 2 of their cornerstone players? I dont think so. If you put them together they have about 1 healthy leg. With Roys contract they are in one of the worst positions in the league. Aldridge is good but they are pretty much stuck in mediocrity for the next 4 or 5 years, the worst place to be in the NBA

I agree. Trailblazers are going no where. They'll range in the 4-8 range in the West for a number of years...they'll be like the Cavs of the early 90s if they are lucky.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Edible14 wrote:
hoof32 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Ryan Hollins is the worst player in the NBA?

No. There was some advanced metric that had him listed as such.

REmember that Power, Gee, Parker and Jawad are all not under contract for next year. So, as of now, depth chart looks like this:

PG: Irving, Baron Davis, Sessions
SG: Gibson, Manny Harris
SF: Joey Graham, Eyenga
PF: Hickson, Thompson, Jamison
C: Varejao, Samih Erden

With Hollins, Luke Harangoody and Samardo Samuels all under contract as well (and maybe that 2nd rounder we drafted and kept).

Parker probably is leaving for a contender, and as much as I don't blame him, we could use him in the worst way. Our wing guys are almost all terrible defenders, and he's a guy that would actually be useful. I figured that the Cavs might draft Lighty with their first 2nd rounder because of this, but I guess a couple of second rounders in a better draft is a better deal.

They need to trade Jamison and Sessions off for some wing players at some point. They're both at positions where their services aren't needed and could bring back some value.

I think you're being overly optimistic on Jamison bringing back value. He'll be making $15M this year.

Cavs were trying to use a $14.5M trade exception and STILL couldn't find a taker. Honestly, we may be lucky to get what the Suns got for Shaq when we try and trade Jamison....

Sessions could be a nice trade piece.....I think we move Hickson before we move Jamison to be honest. Scott never seemed to like Hickson IMO and moved him around so much....I think he'll have more value in a trade than for the Cavs (but we'll see).

Couple things on the contracts. Gee is under contract for this upcoming season....but it is a fully non-guranteed contract. Since the Cavs have nothing though, they may bring him back and pay him (only $884K). Harris, Graham and Samuels are the same, have fully non-guaranteed deals, so may or may not be back.

That 2nd round pick is not coming over either...may not for a couple years (if he ever comes).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Not a fan of Thompson at all.....but hopefully it works out. I'm hoping for a trade here.

advanced metrics love thompson and no team uses them more than cleveland, I am fine with the pick hickson has been solid, but in the current NBA with all of 5 real centers you can play hickinson and Thompson together
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Hermie13 wrote:No David Lighty.....very surprised (especially since Diebs went). Lighty won't be a starter...but on this Cavs team.....he probably could

not surprised teams value elite skills and diebs has one lighty does not
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:37 pm

one more note, scott has a long history of playing two PG at once in his offense so easily could see our 4 PG as also SG. This team is going to be in the lottery again, and next year jamison comes off the books, they are building toward an interesting future and in a draft with zero wings they took the BPA in their book. Next year games will be lost to a lock out this is way worse than the NFL, and next years draft has wings so expect a wing for the cavs
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:45 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:No David Lighty.....very surprised (especially since Diebs went). Lighty won't be a starter...but on this Cavs team.....he probably could

Lighty apparently has some teams courting him as an UDFA, including the Cavs. If the Cavs don't resign Parker and don't make a trade to get someone at that position, I can see Lighty getting some minutes. He might be an upgrade over Manny Harris.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:59 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Not a fan of Thompson at all.....but hopefully it works out. I'm hoping for a trade here.

advanced metrics love thompson and no team uses them more than cleveland, I am fine with the pick hickson has been solid, but in the current NBA with all of 5 real centers you can play hickinson and Thompson together

You definitely can play them together.....we'll be terrible (not a bad thing though) but you are right.

My issue with Thomspon is that next year is loaded with 4s....there are at least 4 that I would take of thompson. No true centers look to go top 10 (though obviously way early). Jonas would have been a better pick. And the advance metrics don't really work for foreign players....and by Hollinger's own admission, they are sketch for 1 and down college kids (as Thompson was).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:17 pm

jellis wrote:

meh, dont' disagree that Lighty lacks elite skills at any one position, though he is a solid defender. A knock on Thompson was that he didn't dominate at any one thing, yet we took him at 4. Then we take a guy late 2nd that by most admissions will never come to the NBA.....2nd round picks have non-guaranteed deals, Lighty would at worst make this team and be gone next summer. Lighty is a worse shooting version of Parker....with work, he could be a better NBA player.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:

You definitely can play them together.....we'll be terrible (not a bad thing though) but you are right.

My issue with Thomspon is that next year is loaded with 4s....there are at least 4 that I would take of thompson. No true centers look to go top 10 (though obviously way early). Jonas would have been a better pick. And the advance metrics don't really work for foreign players....and by Hollinger's own admission, they are sketch for 1 and down college kids (as Thompson was).

I disagree. Next years draft is loaded at 3's, 2's, and tweener 3/4's - not legit 4's like Tristan Thompson. The top prospect right now is Anthony Davis who, while he may be a 4 in height, is a Kevin Garnett type of player who nobody in their right mind would pass on because they drafted a 4 one year prior. Then the only other legit 4 is Jared Sullinger, who is probably the only person to cross off their big boards with the drafting of Thompson. Not really a huge deal because Sullinger is expected to go around 6-10 with the Cavs probably picking top 5.

Prospects that I'd keep my eye on:
SF Harrison Barnes
SF James McAdoo
SF/PF Perry Jones
SF Quincy Miller
SG Brad Beal
SG Austin Rivers
SG Jeremy Lamb
SF Terrance Jones

Also, 6'11 260 C Andre Drummond, the pretty much unanimous top high school player in the country is rumored to be considering testing the NBA age limit rule, which could potentially give the 2012 draft the hands down best big man since Dwight Howard.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:16 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:

I disagree. Next years draft is loaded at 3's, 2's, and tweener 3/4's - not legit 4's like Tristan Thompson. The top prospect right now is Anthony Davis who, while he may be a 4 in height, is a Kevin Garnett type of player who nobody in their right mind would pass on because they drafted a 4 one year prior. Then the only other legit 4 is Jared Sullinger, who is probably the only person to cross off their big boards with the drafting of Thompson. Not really a huge deal because Sullinger is expected to go around 6-10 with the Cavs probably picking top 5.

SF Harrison Barnes
SF James McAdoo
SF/PF Perry Jones
SF Quincy Miller
SG Brad Beal
SG Austin Rivers
SG Jeremy Lamb
SF Terrance Jones

Also, 6'11 260 C Andre Drummond, the pretty much unanimous top high school player in the country is rumored to be considering testing the NBA age limit rule, which could potentially give the 2012 draft the hands down best big man since Dwight Howard.

A few of those guys are PFs in the NBA. McAdoo, Miller, and both Joneses are projected at 4s. They can play the 3 in college, but then again Thompson could play some 3 in college (and was considered a 3/4 tweener when he was being recruited).

6 of the 10 top 100 right now are 4's for the 2011 draft. There are more wings though, agree there.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Depends who's projecting.

I've seen people list McAdoo, Miller, and both Joneses as a 3 so projecting them as a 4 or a 3 is just an opinion. Either way, they're not pure 4's like Thompson who dominate the glass. Each of them has an outside shot as well, alot like Derrick Williams.

Still, if a team is picking top 5 they just don't refuse to select someone because they think they have the position covered. That's just a terrible way to draft and in the NBA it's better to have as much talent as possible. Unless of course you're talking extremes like the Timberwolves and drafting 4 1st round PG's in like 2 years.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:09 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Depends who's projecting.

I've seen people list McAdoo, Miller, and both Joneses as a 3 so projecting them as a 4 or a 3 is just an opinion. Either way, they're not pure 4's like Thompson who dominate the glass. Each of them has an outside shot as well, alot like Derrick Williams.

Still, if a team is picking top 5 they just don't refuse to select someone because they think they have the position covered. That's just a terrible way to draft and in the NBA it's better to have as much talent as possible. Unless of course you're talking extremes like the Timberwolves and drafting 4 1st round PG's in like 2 years.

Not against the Thompson pick because we have the 4 covered, just don't see him being worth that pick in the end, but as jellis said, maybe he was for the Cavs #1 there (though most reports seem to say otherwise). And again, Thompson was a tweener 3/4 heading into college. He can't shoot so he's a 4 only, but he's an undersized 4. Just don't like his upside at all. A number of guys that seemed way more intrigueing there (Leonoard, Jonas, Vessly)....but again, do hope it works out.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:

meh, dont' disagree that Lighty lacks elite skills at any one position, though he is a solid defender. A knock on Thompson was that he didn't dominate at any one thing, yet we took him at 4. Then we take a guy late 2nd that by most admissions will never come to the NBA.....2nd round picks have non-guaranteed deals, Lighty would at worst make this team and be gone next summer. Lighty is a worse shooting version of Parker....with work, he could be a better NBA player.

Thompsson has elite rebounding skills
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:51 pm

jellis wrote:Thompsson has elite rebounding skills

Solid, but not elite. I suppose you could argue he's an elite offensive rebounder....but that's about it. Heck, Leonard is arguably a better overall rebounder. Thompson is a very tough, athletic guy but again wan't my analysis that he is (and quote) "Not dominant at any one thing". He's a good offensive rebounder (best in the draft arguably) but overall nothing overly special. He may end up averaging 8 or so rebounds a game but that's far from elite.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:50 am

SF Harrison Barnes
SF James McAdoo
SF/PF Perry Jones
SF Quincy Miller
SG Brad Beal
SG Austin Rivers
SG Jeremy Lamb
SF Terrance Jones

There have also been rumors about the NBA implementing a 2 year out of HS rule. So its possible the incoming freshmen wont be eligible until the '13 draft.

Davis, Barnes, Beal would be my top 3 choices right now.
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Well the roster is shaping up a bit. Cavs moved Hickson for Cassipi and a protected 1st round pick from the Kings.

Personally really like the move. We needed a 3 and he can shoot. Cleans up the 4 spot, allows Thompson to get more reps.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Well the roster is shaping up a bit. Cavs moved Hickson for Cassipi and a protected 1st round pick from the Kings.

Personally really like the move. We needed a 3 and he can shoot. Cleans up the 4 spot, allows Thompson to get more reps.

I'm sad to see JJ go, but I like the move. Gives us our starting 3. Has some potential. As you said, it cleans up the 4 a bit.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:24 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Well the roster is shaping up a bit. Cavs moved Hickson for Cassipi and a protected 1st round pick from the Kings.

I'm sad to see JJ go, but I like the move. Gives us our starting 3. Has some potential. As you said, it cleans up the 4 a bit.

JJ might have filled a stat sheet, but his defense made it so I got no issue with this trade at all. We wont get the pick next year, but decent chance we end up with a 10-14 pick at some point
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:20 am

We could get lucky if Sacramento is mediocre this year and ends up with a pick in the 15-18 range which would go to us. If that happens and it's true that 6 of the top 10 players off the board are power forwards, then that might push a decent 2 or 3 down to us. Or we could combine the Kings pick with our pick and move up into the lottery and grab a blue chip scorer on the wing. But it's going to take some luck.

It's probably not realistic because the Kings won only 24 games last year and it took 46 wins to get into the playoffs in the Western Conference, so they would have to almost double their win total to get out of the lottery. More likely is we get their pick the following year if all goes well.

In the meantime, between Varajao, Crespi, and Thompson, the Cavs are going to come up with a lot of loose balls and offensive rebounds.

Pluto made the point that Crespi hit 47% of his three-point attemtps from the corner. I can see him spotting up in the corner in the set offense and letting Davis or Irving run a pick-and-roll with Thompson or Varajao or Jamison. If the defense collapses into the paint they can kick it out to Crespi in the corner.

I'm also expecting them to fast break on every defensive rebound and turnover, and even off some made baskets. The Cavs specifically mentioned that they liked how Crespi runs the floor and they also considered Thompson to run the floor better than any big in the draft. Combine those two with Andy and you've got a front line that can get from baseline to baseline faster than just about any in the Association. Byron is well known for running his players in training camp to prepare them for an uptempo game. I don't know how many games the Cavs will win this year, but I know they'll be flying up and down the floor.

The fact that they have three point guards who can run and distribute the ball (assuming they keep Sessions) means they'll always have a fresh PG on the floor to push the ball. Since none of our bigs can create their own shot I expect the approach will be for our bigs to simply beat the opponent's bigs down the floor and try to stay out of the half-court offense as much as possible.

Should be fun to watch if nothing else.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors