RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Adrubal and the Gold GLove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Adrubal and the Gold GLove

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:18 pm

I believe the Gold Gloves get announced tonight....and many think Asdrubal is a strong favorite to take it home for the AL at shortstop.

I find this amazing considering just about every fielding stat out there be it traditional or sabermetric has him as a middle of the pack or worst defender at SS among qualified candidates.

We know the Gold Gloves are always about reputation and highlight driven and not truly about the complete full season performance......and we know that guys traditionally win it in the past who are undeserving (cough, Jeter, cough)....but even though it would be great if Asdrubal won it I for one would be not excited about it because he was not deserving at all.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Adrubal and the Gold GLove

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:30 pm

TonyIPI wrote:I believe the Gold Gloves get announced tonight....and many think Asdrubal is a strong favorite to take it home for the AL at shortstop.

I find this amazing considering just about every fielding stat out there be it traditional or sabermetric has him as a middle of the pack or worst defender at SS among qualified candidates.

We know the Gold Gloves are always about reputation and highlight driven and not truly about the complete full season performance......and we know that guys traditionally win it in the past who are undeserving (cough, Jeter, cough)....but even though it would be great if Asdrubal won it I for one would be not excited about it because he was not deserving at all.

+1 I'm a big ACab fan, but he doesn't deserve it.

On the other hand, maybe the Indians are due for an award.
In 1992 Kenny Lofton lost the ROY to Pat Listash.
In 1995 Albert Belle lost MVP to Mo Vaughn.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:54 pm

TonyIPI wrote:I believe the Gold Gloves get announced tonight....and many think Asdrubal is a strong favorite to take it home for the AL at shortstop.

The one thing Asdrubal has is his highlight real. Maybe not the statistics but he made a lot of impressive plays and many of them on high profile games (i.e. ESPN...).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Exactly. People remember his highlight plays (and to be fair his barehanded catch on the bounce was probably the play of the year) just like the Jeter flip and they instantly move into elite fielding category. Droobs probably doesn't deserve it, though I hope he can continue his progress as he was always highly touted for his defense.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm

I think Jeter's fielding is underrated. I think his glovework easily makes him one of the top 30 starting shortstops in the major leagues!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Tony where are you finding the winners for the gold gloves? mlb.com has nothing.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:38 am

JP_Frost wrote:Tony where are you finding the winners for the gold gloves? mlb.com has nothing.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7180262/los-angeles-dodgers-boston-red-sox-trios-lead-gold-glove-winners

Cabrera did not win; Aybar did. Not much better....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:47 pm

And the Silver Slugger goes to Droooobs.. congrats to him... :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:51 pm

They got it right in awarding Asdrubal silver but no gold.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors