RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Cleveland Indians Comment Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: 2011 Cleveland Indians Game Thread

Postby Edible14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Will be very interesting to see what the Indians do when Grady comes back. One of Kearns, Buck, or Brantley goes right? I'd think Duncan hangs around because of his RH bat and ability to backup 1B and be a platoon guy vs LH in the outfield.

They just added Buck to the roster....and Brantley is a guy who needs to play....and Kearns has a guaranteed 7 figure salary....so will be interesting for sure.

I think that interest is going to extend to many players that will be returning in the first half of the year. I would be inclined to see Buck replaced by Sizemore. The last i heard we are likely to add Jason Donald and Joe Smith by month end as well. That would seem to be the end of Everitt and Germano from what i see. IF things go according to plan, Johnson comes back in May and we have to make a change in the 40 and I would expect that to be Duncan.

Then the fun begins with the promotions from the minors. :pleasantry:

My thinking is that Smith replaces anyone who isn't doing well. Right now, that looks like Germano. Could also end up being Herrman or Pestano. Donald replaces Everett (Hannahan looks to be earning himself an extended look), and Sizemore displaces Buck.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:09 am

What's wrong with the Red Hats?.. they go well with the cream alternate home jersey's.. someone needs to explain that red hat, & predominantly red trim needs a red glove, red stirrups/knee highs and red spikes to Justin Masterson.. If anything, the Block C in dark blue could use some 'outlining' or, as mentioned, piping..

Grady Sizemore, Joe Smith & Jason Donald's iminent return: When they get back will be determined by how healthy & effective everyone current on the 25 man roster are..... If the Indians are in the middle of a long winning streak, that rehab process can take more time.. if the Indians are in the middle of a losing streak, who isn't performing will determine who gives up what spot.. That said..it looks like Adam Everett and Justin Germano will be "on the bubble" when Smith and Donald are good to go.. Grady could take a bit more time.. Great for the Aeros and Clippers, btw.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 am

Think the race for 4th OF is between Buck and Kearns. Buck will have to produce at a pretty damn high level (ironically like Kearns did to start the season last year..) to grab it but I think the opportunity is there. As for Duncan, don't see him getting bumped unless he really tanks, which I doubt. Like him against LH pitching a lot. So when Sizemore shows up May-ish we will hopefully have a "good" problem and good production, and not have 3 crappy OF's who would all deserved to be cut if possible
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 pm

My guess is Brantley gets optioned, and the tribe keeps Buck and Kearns. Kearns makes too much to dump him unless they can swing another trade of Kearns.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Optioning Brantley doesn't make a lick of sense on any level. It will be either Buck or Kearns. As someone else mentioned, Buck will have to really produce to be kept. And he will/should get the bulk of the time in LF to prove himself. IMO Kearns isn't brought back if they knew how Buck would perform in spring training. Ultimately both are backups and it's hard to make a case for dropping Kearns given his contract and relationship with Acta.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:14 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:What's wrong with the Red Hats?.. they go well with the cream alternate home jersey's.. someone needs to explain that red hat, & predominantly red trim needs a red glove, red stirrups/knee highs and red spikes to Justin Masterson.. If anything, the Block C in dark blue could use some 'outlining' or, as mentioned, piping..

That's why the red hats are bad. If the red matched the lettering, it would be better. If it had piping, it would be better. And the MLB specifically enforces "black only" with the footwear, and not every player has a red glove just sitting around already broken in. And not every player wants to wear knee highs and/or stirrups.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:52 pm

The red hats are awful.

If you want a reason for terrible attendance, blame the hats! I'd stay away myself from being subjected to those awful things. Thankfully the TV helps. :biggrin:
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Edible14 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:What's wrong with the Red Hats?.. they go well with the cream alternate home jersey's.. someone needs to explain that red hat, & predominantly red trim needs a red glove, red stirrups/knee highs and red spikes to Justin Masterson.. If anything, the Block C in dark blue could use some 'outlining' or, as mentioned, piping..

That's why the red hats are bad. If the red matched the lettering, it would be better. If it had piping, it would be better. And the MLB specifically enforces "black only" with the footwear, and not every player has a red glove just sitting around already broken in. And not every player wants to wear knee highs and/or stirrups.

When did the black shoes rule go into effect? I seem to remember the Indians wearing red shoes as part of their "red trim-a-palooza" home uniforms from '94 to '01.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:15 am

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:When did the black shoes rule go into effect? I seem to remember the Indians wearing red shoes as part of their "red trim-a-palooza" home uniforms from '94 to '01.

I stand corrected. I was remembering the Brian Wilson controversy over the orange cleats last year, but apparently the MLB rule is that cleats have to be at least 50% of your team's primary color, which was apparently black for the Giants, but that's not the case for every team. You are right about the red cleats with the Indians back in the day. I actually convinced my dad to buy me a pair when I was in little league, and they looked quite atrocious considering I ended up on the forest-green team.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 pm

What's up with CP's velocity? 91-92 MPH today and on Sunday.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:56 pm

seeing the games the attendance is down right embarrassing to see, looks like all of 12 people there
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:00 pm

jellis wrote:seeing the games the attendance is down right embarrassing to see, looks like all of 12 people there

No one shows up at Progressive Field anymore… not even the Red Sox.

Nice game by Tomlin. It looked like he sent the paper champions into full panic mode.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:49 pm

ChadS17 wrote:What's up with CP's velocity? 91-92 MPH today and on Sunday.

Saw a couple at 94. Plus, it's real early in the year AND it's cold. Don't worry about it. By summer, he'll be dialing it up.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm

The STO gun appears to be off. Beckett was only hitting 91 MPH regularly....and Tomlin was 85-86 a lot.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:10 pm

TonyIPI wrote:The STO gun appears to be off. Beckett was only hitting 91 MPH regularly....and Tomlin was 85-86 a lot.

Bastian tweeted that Perez hit 92 on the stadium gun too. Not sure if the readings at the stadium are the same as on STO? Eother way, as Andrew said, I'm not worried.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby artgold » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 pm

Josh Tomlin.

I still think he wins 12 games or more if he stays healthy this season.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:15 am

Does Travis Buck have options remaining?
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:54 am

Here's what I thought would've made a good 4th uniform (the blue would become the fifth jersey). Road alternate homage to the pre-WWII Municipal Stadium/League Park split-stadium years, when the Tribe wore red only at home:

Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:36 am

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:Here's what I thought would've made a good 4th uniform (the blue would become the fifth jersey). Road alternate homage to the pre-WWII Municipal Stadium/League Park split-stadium years, when the Tribe wore red only at home:

Well, the Indians are going to be debuting a version of that relatively soon.

That 3rd one there is the alternate road uniform this year. It's basically what you proposed with red piping on the lettering, blue trim on the arms and a red "C" instead of a white one.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the new alternate road jerseys. I'm a big fan of the BLUE block 'C' hats. I also am a fan of the block lettering on the jerseys. The script writing was great in the 90s...we're almost 20 years past when that debuted. Keep it around, but time for a bit of a change IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Man, Acta wasn't kidding when he said he wants Santana to catch a lot.....starting behind the plate for a noon day game after a night game? With a lefty on the mound too.

Was expecting Satnana at 1B, Duncan/LaPorta DH, and Marson behind the plate for this one, especially with tomorrow not an off day.

Glad to see Laporta back in the lineup though after hitting that dinger last night, hopefully he can build off that. :drinks:

Also interesting...O-Cab in the leadoff spot today (Brantley the day off).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby daingean » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Man, Acta wasn't kidding when he said he wants Santana to catch a lot.....starting behind the plate for a noon day game after a night game? With a lefty on the mound too.

Was expecting Satnana at 1B, Duncan/LaPorta DH, and Marson behind the plate for this one, especially with tomorrow not an off day.

Glad to see Laporta back in the lineup though after hitting that dinger last night, hopefully he can build off that. :drinks:

Also interesting...O-Cab in the leadoff spot today (Brantley the day off).

Manufactured run in the 8th...........I thought about squeeze just before he did it........then I said....naw this is the AL....

Edit: Can I say....Love It when there is Indians baseball on my work from home day!!! :aggressive: :aggressive:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Boy, mad props to Acta. The way he managed the 5th inning matching up with his 8th inning guys yesterday....then the moves in the 8th to straight steal Everett, bunt him over to 3rd and then the guts to call a suicide squeeze. To me, he was as big a reason for the wins the last two games than anyone. Total team effort though (nice rebound game for Carmona).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:34 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Boy, mad props to Acta. The way he managed the 5th inning matching up with his 8th inning guys yesterday....then the moves in the 8th to straight steal Everett, bunt him over to 3rd and then the guts to call a suicide squeeze. To me, he was as big a reason for the wins the last two games than anyone. Total team effort though (nice rebound game for Carmona).

Agreed Acta has been managing well... For a change. What sticks out to me as far as a departure from last year (so far at least) is the overall aggressiveness in handling the line-up/bullpen. No more testing the waters or giving someone a little more rope so to speak, but a flat out focused effort to maximize match-ups and to do whatever it takes to win games.... So far. Taking risks and bulldogging is going to be a key if the tribe is going to be successful this season.

The tribe is looking awesome right now, confident and offensively together. Can't wait get to see Carrasco tomorrow! I am thinking I won't get to see Santana but.. I might get lucky.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby rsamak » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Props to the Indian players and Acta for playing tough, moves, and execution. Acta looking good.

Most or all will disagree but the steals by LaPorta and Santana, after last season operations, is not something I want to see or a good idea for their long term health this season.
rsamak
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Edible14 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:59 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Boy, mad props to Acta. The way he managed the 5th inning matching up with his 8th inning guys yesterday....then the moves in the 8th to straight steal Everett, bunt him over to 3rd and then the guts to call a suicide squeeze. To me, he was as big a reason for the wins the last two games than anyone. Total team effort though (nice rebound game for Carmona).

Agreed Acta has been managing well... For a change. What sticks out to me as far as a departure from last year (so far at least) is the overall aggressiveness in handling the line-up/bullpen. No more testing the waters or giving someone a little more rope so to speak, but a flat out focused effort to maximize match-ups and to do whatever it takes to win games.... So far. Taking risks and bulldogging is going to be a key if the tribe is going to be successful this season.

The tribe is looking awesome right now, confident and offensively together. Can't wait get to see Carrasco tomorrow! I am thinking I won't get to see Santana but.. I might get lucky.

Not to deny Acta his proper dues, but it's a lot easier to be a good manager when you've got the talent behind you. If Perez bombs yesterday, he takes heat for over-managing the game. Or if Everett is caught stealing, or if either of those bunts fail. I like Acta as a manager for a lot of reasons (I also liked him having the quick hook on Durbin after he gave up a hit and a walk), but what I'm really taking away from these first few games is some confidence in the guys we have out there.

The only guys I'm a tad concerned about are Kearns and Choo. Choo I have some confidence that he'll turn it around. Kearns I think is playing his way out of a roster spot.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Edible14 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:

Not to deny Acta his proper dues, but it's a lot easier to be a good manager when you've got the talent behind you. If Perez bombs yesterday, he takes heat for over-managing the game. Or if Everett is caught stealing, or if either of those bunts fail. I like Acta as a manager for a lot of reasons (I also liked him having the quick hook on Durbin after he gave up a hit and a walk), but what I'm really taking away from these first few games is some confidence in the guys we have out there.

The only guys I'm a tad concerned about are Kearns and Choo. Choo I have some confidence that he'll turn it around. Kearns I think is playing his way out of a roster spot.

Kearns failed on his bunt attempt but execution is important as calling aggressive plays. Execution is a direct result of spring preparation.

Choo got things going last night but then had to face a tough lefty today and Lester was very good today for them.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Well, our first place Cleveland Indians are 4-2 after playing what could be the best two teams in the American League. You can make a case that our toughest oponent for the rest of April is Baltimore. GO TRIBE!
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby GhostofTedCox » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 pm

Observations after 1 week.

A record of 4-2 after facing the White and Red Sox is actually better than I expected. There are several encouraging signs so far. :s_thumbsup
First off, nobody is playing out of their minds. Players are doing exactly what they are capable of doing. We didn't just ride a hot player to this record.
The hitting has been timely, with everyone but Choo feeling OK about their start. The starting pitching has kept us in games, (except for the opener). The relief pitching as been very good, as I expected. The defense has been much improved.
More importantly, the Indians really seem to be playing with their heads in the game (unlike some other teams), and that is fun to watch. I actually think they "grind" better for Manny than they did for Wedge.

Now, imagine the spark Sizemore could give us in a couple of weeks.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby ironmike » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:42 pm

If Wedge was managing today the outcome would have been different.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:59 pm

ironmike wrote:If Wedge was managing today the outcome would have been different.

Agree
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:03 pm

rsamak wrote:Most or all will disagree but the steals by LaPorta and Santana, after last season operations, is not something I want to see or a good idea for their long term health this season.

Stealing is no more stressful than taking 3rd on a single from 1st or trying to score from 2nd on a single. Can't hold a guy back on the bases cause of a freak injury.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby rsamak » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
rsamak wrote:Most or all will disagree but the steals by LaPorta and Santana, after last season operations, is not something I want to see or a good idea for their long term health this season.

Stealing is no more stressful than taking 3rd on a single from 1st or trying to score from 2nd on a single. Can't hold a guy back on the bases cause of a freak injury.

Stealing should be an unnecessary risk of injury for these two. Santana was hurt on the slide. Not so bad later in the season when it warms up and there further away from injury/operation.
rsamak
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

Huh..Hmm. Aggressive ethic on the base paths is a sign of a raw team, a confident team, a team trying to win. Fine with me. Santana has a good motor for a catcher and if he wants to try to snag a few bases at anytime, I'm all for it. LaPorta - I think his lack of speed will be more of a deterrent than injury risk when it comes to trying to swipe a base.

Different note, but what are we gonna do when Sizemore returns to the line-up? Personally I start him in the 7th hole and swap him with Acab when it's time. OR maybe 3rd or 5th (how is his base running? IDK.) and push everone down a spot. As long as Brantley keeps producing in the lead-off spot I can't see them moving him as he is most natural batter for that spot on the team IMO. Plus Grady has only played a few games last season and was playing poorly and the year before that well.......His recent track record is definitely cause for concern. How much? We will see.. So he will probably need some time to adjust to the daily grind anyway so park him in the 7th hole until hes competing I think. At this point I have sort of reduced Sizemore's offensive contribution to the team to a fraction of what it used to be, so if he plays well it would be an excellent supplement to an already improved line-up.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby skydancing8 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:11 am

criznit2009 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Huh..Hmm. Aggressive ethic on the base paths is a sign of a raw team, a confident team, a team trying to win. Fine with me. Santana has a good motor for a catcher and if he wants to try to snag a few bases at anytime, I'm all for it. LaPorta - I think his lack of speed will be more of a deterrent than injury risk when it comes to trying to swipe a base.

Different note, but what are we gonna do when Sizemore returns to the line-up? Personally I start him in the 7th hole and swap him with Acab when it's time. OR maybe 3rd or 5th (how is his base running? IDK.) and push everone down a spot. As long as Brantley keeps producing in the lead-off spot I can't see them moving him as he is most natural batter for that spot on the team IMO. Plus Grady has only played a few games last season and was playing poorly and the year before that well.......His recent track record is definitely cause for concern. How much? We will see.. So he will probably need some time to adjust to the daily grind anyway so park him in the 7th hole until hes competing I think. At this point I have sort of reduced Sizemore's offensive contribution to the team to a fraction of what it used to be, so if he plays well it would be an excellent supplement to an already improved line-up.

There's no chance Asdrubal is coming out of the two hole. He's the best two hole type guy we have on this team.
skydancing8
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby daingean » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:41 am

rsamak wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Stealing should be an unnecessary risk of injury for these two. Santana was hurt on the slide. Not so bad later in the season when it warms up and there further away from injury/operation.

Stealing sets a tempo of aggressiveness (which I feel is contagious to the whole team). There are lots of benefits to being an aggressive team. Batters get more fastballs. Defenses have more pressure on them. If Everett hadn't stolen in the 8th. The game goes into the bottom of the 9th still tied at 0.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:18 am

Couple thoughts/observations...

Boston Game: The umpires in todays game were cleary not very good.. The calls that went for & against both the Indians and the Red Sox were numerous.. eg.. ellsbury was safe at second..& it looked like, in the ninth, Dumbell McDonald was safe as well.. Good performance by both Lester and FAUSTO !!. Neither pitcher deserved to lose.. The lower part of Jerry Meals' strike zone was a moving target.. Tony Sipp is a strike throwing machine. Chris Perez has two saves.. both shakey.. Matt LaPorta is swing the bat better..Brilliant call(s) by Acta to manufacture a run..

Stealing bases: If you can't run (steal a base, go from first to third, score from 2B on a single, stay out of a DP), you shouldn't be playing at the MLB Level..period.. Playing it safe to avoid injury usually results in injury..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Different note, but what are we gonna do when Sizemore returns to the line-up? Personally I start him in the 7th hole and swap him with Acab when it's time. OR maybe 3rd or 5th (how is his base running? IDK.) and push everone down a spot. As long as Brantley keeps producing in the lead-off spot I can't see them moving him as he is most natural batter for that spot on the team IMO. Plus Grady has only played a few games last season and was playing poorly and the year before that well.......His recent track record is definitely cause for concern. How much? We will see.. So he will probably need some time to adjust to the daily grind anyway so park him in the 7th hole until hes competing I think. At this point I have sort of reduced Sizemore's offensive contribution to the team to a fraction of what it used to be, so if he plays well it would be an excellent supplement to an already improved line-up.

Personally I hit him leadoff and move Brantley to the 9-hole. I know Brantley has looked good early on...but in spring training when both Grady and Brantley were in the lineup, Grady hit leadoff and Brantley 9th. Perhaps that means nothing, but think it's a decent sign of what could be to come.

I also think it sets the lineup up well. Brantley becomes a 2nd leadoff type hitter for you batting 9th. Plus I'm a believer in you don't lose your job to injury. Grady was a top of the order hitter before his injury. When he's healthy put him back at that spot, at least to start.

I don't bring him to Cleveland until he's ready to play 9 innings 6 days a week personally. Evne if you have to DH him once a week. But we'll see how the Tribe handles it.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ChadS17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Different note, but what are we gonna do when Sizemore returns to the line-up? Personally I start him in the 7th hole and swap him with Acab when it's time. OR maybe 3rd or 5th (how is his base running? IDK.) and push everone down a spot. As long as Brantley keeps producing in the lead-off spot I can't see them moving him as he is most natural batter for that spot on the team IMO. Plus Grady has only played a few games last season and was playing poorly and the year before that well.......His recent track record is definitely cause for concern. How much? We will see.. So he will probably need some time to adjust to the daily grind anyway so park him in the 7th hole until hes competing I think. At this point I have sort of reduced Sizemore's offensive contribution to the team to a fraction of what it used to be, so if he plays well it would be an excellent supplement to an already improved line-up.

Personally I hit him leadoff and move Brantley to the 9-hole. I know Brantley has looked good early on...but in spring training when both Grady and Brantley were in the lineup, Grady hit leadoff and Brantley 9th. Perhaps that means nothing, but think it's a decent sign of what could be to come.

I also think it sets the lineup up well. Brantley becomes a 2nd leadoff type hitter for you batting 9th. Plus I'm a believer in you don't lose your job to injury. Grady was a top of the order hitter before his injury. When he's healthy put him back at that spot, at least to start.

I don't bring him to Cleveland until he's ready to play 9 innings 6 days a week personally. Evne if you have to DH him once a week. But we'll see how the Tribe handles it.

When he got hurt he was hitting second, so I believe Acta was in the process of dropping him. He seems to have abandoned the idea of ACab leading off, but IMO Brantley is the best leadoff hitter on this team. And Cabby is the best 2-hole hitter. Personally, I'd hit Grady 5th or 6th.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:30 pm

ChadS17 wrote:When he got hurt he was hitting second, so I believe Acta was in the process of dropping him. He seems to have abandoned the idea of ACab leading off, but IMO Brantley is the best leadoff hitter on this team. And Cabby is the best 2-hole hitter. Personally, I'd hit Grady 5th or 6th.

I don't think saying Acta was in the process of dropping him in the lineup is too accurate. Moreso he was trying to get Grady more RBI opportunities. AC had a solid OBP in 2009 so the thought was similar to the one in NY the previous year where they flip-flopped Jeter and Damon (and they won the WS). Didn't work in Cleveland due to injuries to both guys, but Acta still seems to view Grady as a top of the order guy from everything I've seen and heard this winter.

Suppose if Brantley still has a .380+ OBP and AC isn't hitting in the mid .200s we could move Grady down, but his bat belongs near the top if he's healthy.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:32 pm

ChadS17 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

When he got hurt he was hitting second, so I believe Acta was in the process of dropping him. He seems to have abandoned the idea of ACab leading off, but IMO Brantley is the best leadoff hitter on this team. And Cabby is the best 2-hole hitter. Personally, I'd hit Grady 5th or 6th.

You make sense to me on this one Chad. I might even drop Sizemore another spot in the order until he can demonstrate that he is closer to to the player of 2008 than 2009. I think Sizemore was in a decline from the great player he once was and it would not be prudent to believe that a "healthy" Sizemore will be any better that the 2009 version. It looks to me like Brantley is better suited to lead off the 2011 Indians than the 2009 version of Sizemore and he is more likely to benefit from the leadoff role for the future Indians. Frankly, I do not care that much either way. Just hoping that Sizemore will be an upgrade over Kearns/Buck, which isn't difficult IMO. That, and making the decision easy on his option, is a reasonable hope. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby ChadS17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:16 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

You make sense to me on this one Chad. I might even drop Sizemore another spot in the order until he can demonstrate that he is closer to to the player of 2008 than 2009. I think Sizemore was in a decline from the great player he once was and it would not be prudent to believe that a "healthy" Sizemore will be any better that the 2009 version. It looks to me like Brantley is better suited to lead off the 2011 Indians than the 2009 version of Sizemore and he is more likely to benefit from the leadoff role for the future Indians. Frankly, I do not care that much either way. Just hoping that Sizemore will be an upgrade over Kearns/Buck, which isn't difficult IMO. That, and making the decision easy on his option, is a reasonable hope. :friends:

I don't think its fair to say he was dealing either. He's still 29 if I'm not mistaken. We shall see.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Add these unis to the ugly list. Looks like something from the 30s. Gonna be like turn back the clock night every night.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:30 pm

For at least one moment Hafner looked like the Pronk of old there
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:03 am

ChadS17 wrote:Add these unis to the ugly list. Looks like something from the 30s. Gonna be like turn back the clock night every night.

That's why I like them. I am very much in the "old school" way of thinking re: baseball (see my road alt concept above).

I wouldn't mind the Tribe going with the "no name" look on the back of all their jerseys, by the way.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:36 am

ChadS17 wrote:Add these unis to the ugly list. Looks like something from the 30s. Gonna be like turn back the clock night every night.

Disagree, I thought they looked sharp. While I'm not a fan of grey uniforms in general, I think this is the best you could do with it. No white trim (except on the patches) to clutter up the color palette, blue being the predominant color instead of red... all much better than the script greys. I don't really even mind the block lettering, as I do like the simplistic block C logo (though it's much better with the blue hat).

jellis wrote:For at least one moment Hafner looked like the Pronk of old there

Really is surprising to see Hafner hitting this way. The real test for him though is whether he won't get fatigued.

Also, Herrman looks lost out there. I think we'll see him in Columbus shortly.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:32 am

Edible14 wrote:

Disagree, I thought they looked sharp. While I'm not a fan of grey uniforms in general, I think this is the best you could do with it. No white trim (except on the patches) to clutter up the color palette, blue being the predominant color instead of red... all much better than the script greys. I don't really even mind the block lettering, as I do like the simplistic block C logo (though it's much better with the blue hat).

Agreed. Road grays are almost always the inferior look, but I think these are simple yet sharp... so much better than the muddled tones of the blue C on the tomato red cap. The simplicity of the C at least works with Cleveland across the front of the jersey. I definitely like old school, but there's just an inherent problem with the block C. The interlocking NY or Boston's B or Detroit's Old English D, those are iconic and immediately identify the product. The block C on the other hand is too generic and simple, to the point of making it unidentifiable... is it Cleveland? Is it Chicago? Is it Cincinnati?
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:07 am

Hafner really tore the cover off that homer, maybe he just needed to regain confidence and strength in that shoulder. Having suffered a shoulder injury myself it takes a yr or two to feel normal once again. I know it was reported he was weight training again which is a good sign that his strength is voming back and fatigue is less an issue.
Who cares what uniform the tribe wears as long as they keep winning!
My eyes are still bleeding from those caps. If they'd just out line the C in white it look better.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby catfish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:42 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Hafner really tore the cover off that homer, maybe he just needed to regain confidence and strength in that shoulder. Having suffered a shoulder injury myself it takes a yr or two to feel normal once again. I know it was reported he was weight training again which is a good sign that his strength is voming back and fatigue is less an issue.
Who cares what uniform the tribe wears as long as they keep winning!
My eyes are still bleeding from those caps. If they'd just out line the C in white it look better.

Maybe weight training is a euphanism for back on the PEDS which would be good if he doesnt get caught.
catfish
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 am

Brantley has an OBP of .379 so I would keep him in the leadoff spot. Grady hasn't played in nearly a year so I would ease him back into it by just putting him in the 7-hole in place of Kearns and Buck, who are a combined 5-for-29 so far.

Besides, Grady has been evolving into a power hitter over the last few years. His average has been dropping and the HR's have been increasing. He no longer looks like a leadoff hitter, if he ever did. The only reason he was hitting leadoff when he came up was because he was the only guy with any speed and we had Victor and Pronk established in the 3 and 4 spots.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors