RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Cleveland Indians Comment Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: 2011 Cleveland Indians Game Thread

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:40 pm

daingean wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:And of course Keith Law talks negatively about the Tribe in his new piece up on ESPN.. surprise, surprise.

What a jerk. Indian fans (Cleveland fans in general) seldom have a lot to be happy about. We are off to a great start and then this guy writes this crap. If he is right, he can write about it after we slump. Can't we at least enjoy our success? :s_mad

Its what writers are paid to do, to evaluate teams. He is not alone, most places are all posting the same ideas. We can enjoy it, but best not to get too rapped up, because we have half of our team playing over their historically heads
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Wanted to see Acta PH for Everett right there in the 7th.. Sizemore would have been nice. When you're talking about LH/RH match-ups the fact Everett is RH doesn't really matter...Does it?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm

This is the first time I have complained about Acta's managerial skills costing the Indians a game. Jeanmar was awful and showed the reasons he needs more time in AAA to improve secondary pitches and holding runners but there was no excuse in my mind for Acta playing all the bench on his first start. And let Marson hit for himself in the 9th instead of a PH. Marson cannot hit RH pitching, especially on like Soria. Why was Santana at 1B when LaPorta is outhitting him and bats RH? Sorry for the rant guys but I had to get this bonehead experience out of my system. :s_mad
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:56 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:This is the first time I have complained about Acta's managerial skills costing the Indians a game. Jeanmar was awful and showed the reasons he needs more time in AAA to improve secondary pitches and holding runners but there was no excuse in my mind for Acta playing all the bench on his first start. And let Marson hit for himself in the 9th instead of a PH. Marson cannot hit RH pitching, especially on like Soria. Why was Santana at 1B when LaPorta is outhitting him and bats RH? Sorry for the rant guys but I had to get this bonehead experience out of my system. :s_mad

It's one game. A game in which the Indians were starting a guy fresh out of AAA and playing most of their bench against one of the hottest teams in the bigs. Losing by one run in such a game... not the end of the world.

Not super happy with Gomez tonight, but give him time. I'm in no hurry to see any more of the David Huff experience.

Oh, and... finally a good outing for Durbin. About time.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 am

I had to get this bonehead experience out of my system. :s_mad
Hmm.. maybe the emoticon should be "muttering" as opposed to being mad? This was one of those games that a manager looks like a buffoon as opposed to a genius. If the Indians executed = :s_thumbsup If not = :bomb:

JeanMar certainly wasn't given a full deck to play with tonight.. that's for certain. While I agree that both Pronk and Grady need their time off..there is no doubt that Carlos needs it more right now. Carlos looks like he's "inbetween" at the plate. Why LaPorta was sitting with Santana in the lineup..didn't make a lot of sense. If the Indians are going to go with a "right hand" lineup.. Kearns in RF & Shelly in LF with one of LaPorta or Choo at DH would make more sense..

Chen is the kind of pitcher that befuddles aggressive young teams.. By the third time through the order, the Indians were making good contact.. Gordon's catch in the 9th saved the Royals from an embarassing loss.

Nice to see Durbin have a good outing..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 am

As well as Marson has been swinging the bat. and Sanatana obviosuly overthinking now at the plate, instead of just reacting, it would make sense to give him some time off just to clear his head.

I really don't have a big problem with trying to flood the lineup with as many righties as possible, it's been working very well all year against lefties, as opposed to how poor we were last year.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:42 am

Yeah, not a fan of inserting Kearns, Marson and Everett off the bench into the starting lineup 7-8-9 last night. Marson had the one big hit, but otherwise those guys are awful. I know Everett's numbers are not terrible so far, but he's a terrible hitter going by recent history. And Kearns is just bad. I do not want him on this team anymore.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am

TonyIPI wrote:Yeah, not a fan of inserting Kearns, Marson and Everett off the bench into the starting lineup 7-8-9 last night. Marson had the one big hit, but otherwise those guys are awful. I know Everett's numbers are not terrible so far, but he's a terrible hitter going by recent history. And Kearns is just bad. I do not want him on this team anymore.

1. Kearns' sample size is small at the moment 26ABs/31PA but he historically hits better in April than any other month so yes the alarm bells are getting ready to go off. If no improvement by May 15, then I say dump him.

2. Everett's bat is week (yes) but he has hit ok so far this year. I question only carrying 1 utility IF especially with 2 guys like Hanrahan and Everett who both have questionable bats.

3. We lean so heavily to the left side of the plate with only Everett, Kearns, Duncan, and Marson as part-timers from the right side. Not a lot to use offensively against tough lefties.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 am

Kearns just looks done. Doesn't have the bat speed to get through the zone anymore. Everything is late and popped up. I think it is seriously time to consider other options. The Indians won't because of his personal situation and because they paid him seven figures to come back, but something I think they need to start considering regardless.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:13 am

TonyIPI wrote:Kearns just looks done. Doesn't have the bat speed to get through the zone anymore. Everything is late and popped up. I think it is seriously time to consider other options. The Indians won't because of his personal situation and because they paid him seven figures to come back, but something I think they need to start considering regardless.

I'll confess to ignorance on the personal situation thing, and I'm not sure you can divulge that, but...

I have to agree. It's not like he's even that effective against lefties as he doesn't really have much of a platoon split (had a negative one last year), so the right-handed argument can be thrown out of the window. I can see the team giving him some time to figure things out, but this is a team that wants to win this year. If Buck, Carrerra, Huffman, Brown or whoever else is a better option, they really ought to cut ties.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Edible14 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Kearns just looks done. Doesn't have the bat speed to get through the zone anymore. Everything is late and popped up. I think it is seriously time to consider other options. The Indians won't because of his personal situation and because they paid him seven figures to come back, but something I think they need to start considering regardless.

I'll confess to ignorance on the personal situation thing, and I'm not sure you can divulge that, but...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110404&content_id=17363886&vkey=news_cle&c_id=cle

His kid has autism and the Clinic is really one of the best places for him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:29 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Yeah, not a fan of inserting Kearns, Marson and Everett off the bench into the starting lineup 7-8-9 last night. Marson had the one big hit, but otherwise those guys are awful. I know Everett's numbers are not terrible so far, but he's a terrible hitter going by recent history. And Kearns is just bad. I do not want him on this team anymore.

Don't disagree here but when you're options are Everett or Hannahan....you could argue you're better off with Everett in the lineup (scary).

And if you're going to put Marson on this team, he MUST play, so might as well do it against a lefty.

I wasn't a fan of sitting LaPorta as he's been hitting the ball better of late. I know Duncan is bad in LF but could have DHed LaPorta and put Duncan in left.

Starting to feel the same way on Kearns. He's a better option than Buck IMO, but with Duncan hitting and Grady looking good I think you can get away with 1 OF on the bench. Could consider brining up Valbuena or even Phelps.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 pm

As far as yesterdays game is concerned.... terrible batting line-up for JGomez to have for his 1st ML start of the year. No biggie ultimately as players need rest. EXCEPT for when it comes to crunch time. I never ever ever want to see Acta have Everett hit in that same situation again. 7th inning, down 5-2 runner on 2nd with one out and you are going to bat Everett, your 9th hole guy who isn't even an everyday player??!!??? While LaPorta, Sizemore and Hafner are all on the bench? Unacceptable. I rather take on a 7th inning Chen or the bullpen then try to get it done against Soria.

Also, with how quick he subbed Hafner for Duncan... Can you honestly tell me Everett can handle RH pitching better then Duncan??.... I would say it is a coin flip but hold a gun to my head and make me choose one to face off against a righty I pick Duncan.. Not saying it wasn't a decent move to PH for Duncan, but if you are going to do that.... Why the hell do you let Everett bat then???? These are the kind of thing Acta does that bothers me, he tends to wait to long to make changes and force match-ups typically. We saw him be more aggressive in earlier games this season and it paid off IMO, but he needs to keep his head in the game and make sure to make the most his opportunities no matter how small/insignificant they may seem.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 pm

While not disagreeing with Criz... in fact..most of what he says makes sense.. Manny may have been looking to find out which of bench bunch he could count on in situations early in the season so that he'll know what to expect later in the season.. At least it's a possible alternative explanation... IDK...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:16 pm

I think not pinch hitting for Everett is more of a result of the limited bench. With only 1 infielder there, they would have to then put Hanrahan out there and hope no other move needs to be made. In an emergency I guess they could put Santana at 3rd or maybe even Laporta. I think if there was another IF on the bench he would be quicker to pinch hit.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:57 pm

daingean wrote:I think not pinch hitting for Everett is more of a result of the limited bench. With only 1 infielder there, they would have to then put Hanrahan out there and hope no other move needs to be made. In an emergency I guess they could put Santana at 3rd or maybe even Laporta. I think if there was another IF on the bench he would be quicker to pinch hit.

+1

Though he really should have PH LaPorta there.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby rsamak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:15 pm

After watching Escobar at short it shows how mediocre ACab is on D. He's been big with the bat though.
rsamak
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Edible14 wrote:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110404&content_id=17363886&vkey=news_cle&c_id=cle

His kid has autism and the Clinic is really one of the best places for him.

I have been working with children with Autism for the last 6 years, it depends on the kid really. I have worked with kids where I had to get stitched, and I have worked with kids who are on their schools baseball team, that has cuts. If your talking about the Cleveland Clinic, there are stronger places in Ohio to get support. When I was getting starter in Columbus, we supplied Cleveland with staff. Its a good place, and worlds better than anything I have seen in NYC.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby stoike » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 pm

rsamak wrote:After watching Escobar at short it shows how mediocre ACab is on D. He's been big with the bat though.

Disagree 100%. Me thinks you are on drugs. :nea:
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 pm

stoike wrote:
rsamak wrote:After watching Escobar at short it shows how mediocre ACab is on D. He's been big with the bat though.

Last year AC was a bit hit and miss defensively. This year though, he's looked pretty strong.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:07 pm

The double by Hafner now has me officially drinking the Kool Aid, that was old school power double where a year of go he would not have even caught up to it. Pronk is back, and now way you trade him now. If he is even 80% of the Pronk of old this line up is one of the top 4 in the AL.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Got to like what you see from the team today.

Except for Sipp, but one bad outing is excusable for a guy who's been solid the entire year thus far.

So, I'm wondering... at what point does LaPorta get promoted up the lineup? I know it's hard to say who he'd be promoted over when everyone is hitting well enough, but he has really impressed me at this point. I don't see why he should be hitting behind OCab, or Duncan/Kearns/Buck as he has been.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Edible14 wrote:Got to like what you see from the team today.

Except for Sipp, but one bad outing is excusable for a guy who's been solid the entire year thus far.

So, I'm wondering... at what point does LaPorta get promoted up the lineup? I know it's hard to say who he'd be promoted over when everyone is hitting well enough, but he has really impressed me at this point. I don't see why he should be hitting behind OCab, or Duncan/Kearns/Buck as he has been.

I dont think you mess with it, he might be hitting better than OCAB, with with Brantly now 7th, he isn't hitting better than him. Plus its a nice 7-8 punch with Brantley getting on bash and Laporta smashing it
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 am

I like LaPorta at #8 right now if not mostly because with Brantley hitting #7, with Brantley getting on base at a .400+ clip it means pitchers are going to throw LaPorta more fastballs in fear of Brantley running. This is a good thing as it helps limit LaPorta's weakness (breaking ball low and away).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:49 am

TonyIPI wrote:I like LaPorta at #8 right now if not mostly because with Brantley hitting #7, with Brantley getting on base at a .400+ clip it means pitchers are going to throw LaPorta more fastballs in fear of Brantley running. This is a good thing as it helps limit LaPorta's weakness (breaking ball low and away).

LaPorta's weakness is pitch recognition. The breaking ball low and away stops what has become Laporta's best approach, so far: pull happiness. While his hitting continues to improve, he'll remain vulnerable as he just doesn't pick up what is being thrown...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 am

Some observations/notes from Game 3 of the KC Series:

-Prior to the game, during the pregame on WTAM, Ross Atkins was interviewed and gave glowing praise to a few players currently working in the minors. Specifically, he mentioned Cord Phelps, what has been asked of him. Atkins' response was insightful as he stated that Phelps athleticism and dedication to his craft has helped him transistion to SS very well while not changing his ability to hit. Antonetti also mentioned the progress of Scott Barnes, claiming that the player development group (PFG) are now convinced that Barnsey is clearly deserving of continuing to be developed as a starting pitcher.. specifically, Barnes' fastball is now topping out at 96 and his curve ball has much more depth. The PDG believe that as he matures, he'll continue to get stronger and smarter. Nice comments..

-Jack Hannahan.. had another very good game. Rick Manning's statement regarding Hannahan going to left field on a pitch off the plate was particularly interesting. Chris Antonetti's comment about Hannahan being more than what was thought defensively was insightful.

-Michael Brantley is becoming a dangerous offensive player in any spot he's put. It's becoming a nightly occurence with him..

-Shin-soo Choo's swing appears to be coming around. He's hitting the ball with authority to left center/right center.

-The Indians keep doing the "little things" well.. getting runners on.. getting them over.. and getting them in.

-Justin Masterson's first inning had to give fans a feeling of: "..oh no, he doesn't have it tonight.." After that first inning, Masterson was able to put the ball over the plate and keep the team in the game.. and gave Manny the length you want to see out of a starting pitcher..

-Game Four.. the Josh Tomlin Experience continues.. The Indians have guaranteed a split of the series, now let's see if they can take their fourth series win of the young season.

-Good luck with the surgery this morning Tony.. you're going to be a hurting puppy for the next week to ten days. Perhaps a few wins will help sooth the ache that will seem like it won't ever go away..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 am

LaPorta is hitting .412 over the last seven days with an OBP of .524. He's doing great; leave him alone. And by all means, keep him hitting behind Brantley, whose OBP is over .400.

The Tribe is leading the A.L. in runs scored despite Grady missing all but two games and our 3 and 4 hitters batting in the .220s. Amazing. Mainly it's due to the team batting well over .300 with RISP, which obviously won't last. But if Grady, Choo, and Santana all start hitting at the same time, look out.

Josh Tomlin has his work cut out for him tonight against a good hitting lineup that features a lot of lefties. What's amazing about Tomlin is that he's started 15 major league games and won 9 of them. Maybe he's been lucky with run support so far but he finds a way to get that W.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:30 am

Prosecutor wrote:Josh Tomlin has his work cut out for him tonight against a good hitting lineup that features a lot of lefties. What's amazing about Tomlin is that he's started 15 major league games and won 9 of them. Maybe he's been lucky with run support so far but he finds a way to get that W.

The advanced stats suggest that Tomlin has had quite a bit of luck thus far (lowest K/BB on the team at 1.83, unsustainable .164 BABIP). Not to be a downer, but I'd expect Tomlin to come back down to earth eventually.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 pm

stoike wrote:

Escobar is vastly superior to AC defensively at SS.

I do agree though, AC has looked much better this year, though his range is still somewhat limited.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Here's something to consider, not saying I agree with it, but I'm merely throwing the possibility out there: Let's say Phelps continues to hit well, gets called up at some point and shares success there as well. You could look at say, a year or two down the road, trading ACab and having Phelps be your SS.. Just a thought.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby rsamak » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Maybe my description of ACab's D as mediocre was a little harsh. A decent ave ss this year is more like it. If he keeps hitting like he has real nice for a ss.

Watching Escobar with more range and arm just makes you think a ss could mean to a team. imo, 3 or 4 plays that would have gone for hits. Big save for your pitchers.

Not on drugs at all but some vitamins.
rsamak
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:25 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Here's something to consider, not saying I agree with it, but I'm merely throwing the possibility out there: Let's say Phelps continues to hit well, gets called up at some point and shares success there as well. You could look at say, a year or two down the road, trading ACab and having Phelps be your SS.. Just a thought.

Phelps would have to show a TON at SS to consider trading Cabrera. I've been as critical of AC's defense as anyone, but I don't move him to put Phelps at SS. I just can't see him ever being good enough to start at SS. Rather let Donald come up and play and then take over SS.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:29 pm

rsamak wrote:Maybe my description of ACab's D as mediocre was a little harsh. A decent ave ss this year is more like it. If he keeps hitting like he has real nice for a ss.

Watching Escobar with more range and arm just makes you think a ss could mean to a team. imo, 3 or 4 plays that would have gone for hits. Big save for your pitchers.

Not on drugs at all but some vitamins.

If you're going to hold Cabrera to Escobar's defensive standard, are you also going to hold Escobar to Cabrera's offensive standard? Escobar has to be one of the best defensive shortstops in the game, because he simply doesn't have a major league bat... and personally, I'll be really surprised if he ever develops into even a mediocre hitter. Offensively, he looks like the second coming of Jose Uribe. The only thing he has going for himself at the plate is speed, and he has yet to really figure out how to utilize that. He and Cabrera are hard to compare since their strengths and weaknesses are so different, but if Cabrera continues playing defense at his current level, I'm quite happy with him.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Here's something to consider, not saying I agree with it, but I'm merely throwing the possibility out there: Let's say Phelps continues to hit well, gets called up at some point and shares success there as well. You could look at say, a year or two down the road, trading ACab and having Phelps be your SS.. Just a thought.

Phelps would have to show a TON at SS to consider trading Cabrera. I've been as critical of AC's defense as anyone, but I don't move him to put Phelps at SS. I just can't see him ever being good enough to start at SS. Rather let Donald come up and play and then take over SS.

Huge Phelps fan but at SS??? I guess if Jhonny can do it Phelps can but who wants Jhonny defensively? Why would we want to trade Droobs anyway? Let's fill holes instead of creating them.

Saw Eight Men Out the other day. Reminds me of our current team with the good fundamentals, defense, good pitching. Hopefully not throwing the WS though.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:40 pm

So has good as the pen has been do you have to worry about the sudden wildness in the pen
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 pm

that just hurts, guy is hitting 240 and you walk him, take a chance on the shitty hitter
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby ChadS17 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 pm

I understand that he's gotten the job done prior to today's game, but Perez really hasn't been the same this year. He just isn't blowing it by guys and doesn't have the same velocity.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 pm

ChadS17 wrote:I understand that he's gotten the job done prior to today's game, but Perez really hasn't been the same this year. He just isn't blowing it by guys and doesn't have the same velocity.

What are you talking about? He's been fine. He hit 94 on the gun today.. in RAIN! It's not like the guy is a 97-99 mph guy. Last year, he was 93-95 mph.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ChadS17 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:14 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:I understand that he's gotten the job done prior to today's game, but Perez really hasn't been the same this year. He just isn't blowing it by guys and doesn't have the same velocity.

What are you talking about? He's been fine. He hit 94 on the gun today.. in RAIN! It's not like the guy is a 97-99 mph guy. Last year, he was 93-95 mph.

Yes, but last year he seemed to show more strikeout ability than he has so far. When he got into jams he had extra on his fastball to strike guys out.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:16 pm

I think Perez is a bit deceptive, looks lime he's throwing harder.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Shame they wasted another great start by Tomlin, 4th Quality Start in 4 outings.

Always liked him as a starter, I don't think this is a fluke. I don't think he'll keep this up, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him put up 65% Quality Starts for the full season.

He is a keeper.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:24 pm

ChadS17 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Yes, but last year he seemed to show more strikeout ability than he has so far. When he got into jams he had extra on his fastball to strike guys out.

In the whole month of April last year (9 appearances, 6.2 innings) he had three strike outs.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:48 pm

The pitching staff may run into problems, but it won't be with Chris Perez. He is, and will be fine.
This was a 1-run game. Small things become bigger.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby ChadS17 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:49 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

In the whole month of April last year (9 appearances, 6.2 innings) he had three strike outs.

Alright, alright I believe you. I'm not knocking Perez at all, I've been a huge supporter of his. Just for some reason something seems different.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:19 am

artgold wrote:Shame they wasted another great start by Tomlin, 4th Quality Start in 4 outings.

Always liked him as a starter, I don't think this is a fluke. I don't think he'll keep this up, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him put up 65% Quality Starts for the full season.

He is a keeper.

Nicely stated Art. He is so solid he may avoid the big declines that "finesse" pitchers often go through after they have been through the league a couple of times. Time will tell on that but I know for sure the odds are better of Tomlin's success that the Indians drawing 5000 nightly from Akron or Cleveland's return to positive population growth. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:14 am

A few notes/observations from last night's walk off win by the Royals to split the four game series:

-What was with the weather in KC?.. ugh. Sheets of mist.. cold.. windy.

-What was with HP Umpire Angel Hernandez? Fastballs just below the knees are strikes..curve balls crossing the plate at or slight above the same location of the fastball are balls. He has to have one of theee most inconsistent strike zones of any umpire.. save for perhaps CB Bucknor...

-Grady just continues to throw his body around, without any sense of caution.

-Josh Tomlin's (JT) outing was uber-efficient.. Seemed like the Royals batters (no slouches there) weren't able to figure out anything he was doing. JT attacked early, the Royals swung early.. and many easy innings ensued. The bullpen is human, afterall.. giving JT an ND for his efforts.

-Aaron Crow his going to be a hulluva pitcher..

-Choo was robbed of a hit on what may have been the hardest hit ball of the night for the Wahoos.. but continues to show his swing/approach at the plate is improving daily.

-So, sitting in a hospital room, eating great jello and hoping it isn't the green stuff?.. Nice to hear your outcome was good news. Now is not the time to be in a hurry.. the hospital will let you go...sometime (lol).. usually a day later than you want. :good:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:48 am

I can't believe we only got two runs off O'Sullivan. Last year his ERA was 6.11. Coming into last night's game it was 5.00. Plus, he's a right-hander. I thought we'd beat him up.

O'Sullivan is actually like a lefty in that he has reverse splits. Coming into last night's game right-handed batters were hitting .444 off him whereas lefties were only hitting .211. I figured this was a small sample fluke since he's only pitched 9 innings, but checking his splits for last season he was at .302 for right-handers and .247 for lefties, so he normally is more successful against lefties for some reason.

I was wondering if Manny might use Kearns or Duncan against him but he went with the straight lineup he normally uses against right-handed pitchers. It didn't work out too well. It will be interesting to see if the Tribe does better against O'Sullivan if they face him again at the Jake/Prog next week.

Now for the Twins. We catch a break in that Mauer is on the DL and Morneau is day-to-day with the flu. I'd like to see us win two of three while they're struggling. I don't like our chances in the Pavano vs. Gomez matchup on Sunday, though.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:12 am

...I don't like our chances in the Pavano vs. Gomez matchup on Sunday, though...
JeanMar had three really bad outings in his trial by fire in 2010. One was against the Twins IN Minnesota late in the season. In his other start against the Twins at Progressive Field, he pitched very well but didn't get a decision (one of the two starts he had in 2010 that he didn't factor in the decision, which, btw, were both Indian wins - Maybe Manny will be a bit 'quicker' with the hook this time around?). That second start against the Twins, if I recall, was the typical Twins winning formula: plenty of walks, chinkers for hits, stealing bases when not expected.. etc.. their typical bloops and blasts approach.

I agree with you... the Pavano v Gomez matchup doesn't favor the young wahoos.. but, that's why they play the games...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:10 pm

jellis wrote:So has good as the pen has been do you have to worry about the sudden wildness in the pen

A little, as guys like sipp are back pitching like the normally have. Was amazed how long it took Sipp to walk a batter after posting back to back 5+ walk per 9 numbers.

I'll give Perez a semi-pass for last night pictching in the rain (and getting squeezed by the ump against Getz)....but yeah, pen isn't as good as we saw the first couple weeks, though not as bad as we've seen the last 2 nights.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 am

..... the Pavano v Gomez matchup doesn't favor the young wahoos..
With the rain out of last night's game, CarCar will be facing Pavano on Sunday while Fausto will be opposing Duensing today.. On paper, this could work out better for the Indians.. we'll see when they play the games.. Also, with the rainout & no immediate date set to reschedule, this would more likely favor the twins as both Mauer and Morneau are hurting / sick.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors