RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Cleveland Indians Comment Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: 2011 Cleveland Indians Comment Thread

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Tigers just traded for Delmon Young.

Odd...
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Was just about to comment about the trade.

Young fits the tigers mold perfectly: Unathletic.

Source: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/tigers-acquire-delmon-young.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:56 pm

And I totally forgot the Twins are playing Detroit today, which makes this trade even more strange.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:21 pm

entertheshoe wrote:Tigers just traded for Delmon Young.

Odd...

Odd.. Brennan Boesch doesn't have any issues with his thumb.. yet the Tigers pick up career underachiever Young.. yes.. very odd...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:48 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
entertheshoe wrote:Tigers just traded for Delmon Young.

Odd...

Odd.. Brennan Boesch doesn't have any issues with his thumb.. yet the Tigers pick up career underachiever Young.. yes.. very odd...

Boesch has nothing to do with why he's there, it's to get Magglio Ordonez's worthless bat out of the lineup. Considering what little it cost them, it's not a bad risk. Fortunately for us, Jim Leyland will just plug him right into his completely illogical lineups, where he seems to place batters based on what position they play rather than their offensive talent... so guys like Peralta and Avila will still hit in the bottom half of the lineup, while Young/Ordonez and Jackson pile up the outs in the top half. After all, shortstops and catchers can't hit, but corner outfielders have power and center fielders make good lead-off men... seriously, Leyland even does this when the bench players start.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

That's not to say that the timing of this trade isn't extremely odd... Delmon Young just homered in his first at-bat for the Tigers against the team he began the day with.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Congrats to Big Jim Thome on home run number 599 and 600 this evening off Porcello and Schlereth, respectfully. Jimmy joins the elite class of 8 players in ML history to have their home run total at or above 600..

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

ps.. and it was against the tigers.. which doesn't make me sad at all...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Is Pomeranz officially a Rocky yet? Thought today was the day.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 am

ChadS17 wrote:Is Pomeranz officially a Rocky yet? Thought today was the day.

I think it is official when he wakes up in the morning....
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:10 am

I figured Brantley was good for swiping some bags this year.... 13SB 5CS, is not what I expected at this point.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:07 am

criznit2009 wrote:I figured Brantley was good for swiping some bags this year.... 13SB 5CS, is not what I expected at this point.

Blame Acta. He gives the steal sign. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:15 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:I figured Brantley was good for swiping some bags this year.... 13SB 5CS, is not what I expected at this point.

Blame and fifty cents will get you small cup of lousy warm cup of coffee at McDonalds (Dunkin Dishwater coffee isn't much better, but costs slightly more).. Brantley, no doubt, has a green light all the time. Most times, Acta will give him the stop sign for situations where he wants to keep the hole between first and second open.. That said, the number of attempted steals is pretty low for him and he should be attempting to steal more often...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Blame and fifty cents will get you small cup of lousy warm cup of coffee at McDonalds (Dunkin Dishwater coffee isn't much better, but costs slightly more).. Brantley, no doubt, has a green light all the time. Most times, Acta will give him the stop sign for situations where he wants to keep the hole between first and second open.. That said, the number of attempted steals is pretty low for him and he should be attempting to steal more often...

I know it's been stated before (possibly on this board), but perhaps Brantley has a leg issue. He seems rather slow to first base on grounders too, but maybe it's just me.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:15 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Blame and fifty cents will get you small cup of lousy warm cup of coffee at McDonalds (Dunkin Dishwater coffee isn't much better, but costs slightly more).. Brantley, no doubt, has a green light all the time. Most times, Acta will give him the stop sign for situations where he wants to keep the hole between first and second open.. That said, the number of attempted steals is pretty low for him and he should be attempting to steal more often...

I know I've heard Acta say in the past that pretty much everyone on the team has the green light, except when they don't... he puts on the red light when he thinks the situation calls for it, otherwise they're free to run whenever they see the opportunity. Brantley definitely needs to recognize those opportunities more often.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:45 pm

so its official kipnis DL, valbuena up
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:48 pm

jellis wrote:so its official kipnis DL, valbuena up

Blah
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am

jellis wrote:so its official kipnis DL, valbuena up

I have the same reaction as Kip Dynamite after he runs over the tupperware in Uncle Rico's van:

"DING IT!!!"
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:55 am

The bad news.. Jason Kipnis is going on the DL.. the good news.. Jason Donald is a ready and able replacement. If there wasn't as much depth in the middle infield, this would be a huge blow to the young Wahoos. Bringing up Valbuena to take the Kippers spot on the active roster.. I don't get. He's a proven AAAA player.. not an able replacement. Where is Cord when you really need him?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:34 am

GeronimoSon wrote:The bad news.. Jason Kipnis is going on the DL.. the good news.. Jason Donald is a ready and able replacement. If there wasn't as much depth in the middle infield, this would be a huge blow to the young Wahoos. Bringing up Valbuena to take the Kippers spot on the active roster.. I don't get. He's a proven AAAA player.. not an able replacement. Where is Cord when you really need him?

I love Donald, but he is a clear step down from Kipnis. This hurts. Not as much as some may think, but it still hurts. Kind of showed last night as Donald had opportunities twice with runners on 2nd and 3rd (he grounded out) and bases loaded (he struck out). Still not a consistent guy nor a run producer. A great bench option....but a guy like Kipnis is a run producer and would have had a been chance of success in either of those two positions last night.

By the way, gotta say, Hannahan is growing on me again. I almost feel he should be getting most of the playing time at 3B. He is a vacuum over there and is hitting no worse than CHisenhall. If it were May or June I think the team would consider optioning Lonnie out as he looks a little overmatched right now, but they won't do it now. I would expect him to continue to lose playing time to Hannahan so he can take a break and work on some things and when he gets a chance maybe be more effective.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:23 am

TonyIPI wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:The bad news.. Jason Kipnis is going on the DL.. the good news.. Jason Donald is a ready and able replacement. If there wasn't as much depth in the middle infield, this would be a huge blow to the young Wahoos. Bringing up Valbuena to take the Kippers spot on the active roster.. I don't get. He's a proven AAAA player.. not an able replacement. Where is Cord when you really need him?

I love Donald, but he is a clear step down from Kipnis. This hurts. Not as much as some may think, but it still hurts. Kind of showed last night as Donald had opportunities twice with runners on 2nd and 3rd (he grounded out) and bases loaded (he struck out). Still not a consistent guy nor a run producer. A great bench option....but a guy like Kipnis is a run producer and would have had a been chance of success in either of those two positions last night.

By the way, gotta say, Hannahan is growing on me again. I almost feel he should be getting most of the playing time at 3B. He is a vacuum over there and is hitting no worse than CHisenhall. If it were May or June I think the team would consider optioning Lonnie out as he looks a little overmatched right now, but they won't do it now. I would expect him to continue to lose playing time to Hannahan so he can take a break and work on some things and when he gets a chance maybe be more effective.

I find it a bit unfair to be critical of Donald while uplifting Hannahan. Remember Kipnis struggled for several games before he started to hit. He really took off when OCab was ditched and became an everyday player. Donald hasn't been up that long and has not been given that opportunity. Understand that I'm not saying that Donald is as good as Kipnis. What Donald lacks when compared to Kipnis is power mostly and maybe a little bat to ball ability. I think Donald is better than Kipnis defensively at the moment and is definately more versitile. I think Donald is going to be a fine 2b for someone, he is not just a bench player IMO. They both are very much alike in the way they play.

I love Hannahan, but he couldn't hit a barn standing inside it. If he could the Indians wouldn't have him and he would arguably be one of the top 3 thirdbaseman in the league. I think that he is already the best defensive 3 bagger in all of baseball. Chisenhall's offensive upside has to be given every chance while they are struggling to score runs and he isn't horrible defensively either. I don't think Chiz can make any adjustments or get "hot" while playing every 3 days. I'd rather send him down for Columbus' playoff run than replace him with Hannahan.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:40 am

Donald is clearly no Jason Kipnis.. The Kipper is an impact offensive player and an adequate to above average defender at second base. The Kipper appears to go to his right waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than to his left, btw. With respect to Donald..he can play anywhere and would give you a pretty good effort.. His bat is never going to be lethal, but he should be able to hold his own.. he may become the consummate utility player the Indians seem to acquire every offseason....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:30 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Bringing up Valbuena to take the Kippers spot on the active roster.. I don't get. He's a proven AAAA player.. not an able replacement. Where is Cord when you really need him?

Valbuena is not replacing Kipnis; he's replacing Donald on the bench. More versatile than Phelps and a better PR option late in a game (though neither is anything to get excited about). Fits the role of bench player better right now IMO. Let Phelps continue to play everyday in AAA. The difference between Phelps' bat and Valbuena's right now is pretty negligible.

Do get the argument for Phelps though (Donald still doesn't have a hit against a righty)....would make an 'ok' platoon. We'll see how Acta handles this though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:02 pm

TonyIPI wrote:By the way, gotta say, Hannahan is growing on me again. I almost feel he should be getting most of the playing time at 3B. He is a vacuum over there and is hitting no worse than CHisenhall. If it were May or June I think the team would consider optioning Lonnie out as he looks a little overmatched right now, but they won't do it now. I would expect him to continue to lose playing time to Hannahan so he can take a break and work on some things and when he gets a chance maybe be more effective.

I agree on Hannahan. Even without a hit in a game he's a godsend with his defense. Would like to see him at 3B more down the stretch, especially against lefties. Think you coud still get Chiz's bat in the lineup....let him DH some. Hafner has his moments but he shouldn't be playing everyday. Give him 2 days off at least a week.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:12 pm

It's hard to argue about Hannahan's glove. He's the most reliable INF we have. Even ACab had a brain cramp once in a while. But it's a lot easier to live with Jack in the lineup when Kipnis is in the lineup too.

Cross your fingers for some offense this weekend.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Last four games Hannahan is 4-for-10 with 4 walks. That's an OBP of .571. Tiny sample size but he's looking very comfortable at the plate right now and is taking a lot of close pitches for balls. He's still hitting lefties, too, which is what this team needs. I'm fine with Hanny at 3rd right now because Chiz is totally overmatched.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:14 am

Hanny was HUGE for this team early in the year.. Remember how great he was in April... I am all for giving him more playing time, all of it basically. He is playing for his ML life, playing his best ball ever arguably and has been a big piece in the massive improvement in the IF this year. Think they should have called up Phleps instead of Valbuena but meh...
Still seeing it though, the lack of a big RH bat as the issue thats going to plague this team.. Anyone else besides me believe that this off-season a LaPorta/OF upgrade (RH) is the #1 target? Looks like the quickest/easiest to address. Wouldn't rule out a Hanny return too.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:56 am

Still seeing it though, the lack of a big RH bat as the issue thats going to plague this team.. Anyone else besides me believe that this off-season a LaPorta/OF upgrade (RH) is the #1 target?

No question
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Throw a slider down and away and LaPorta will chase... his pitch recognition is just about as good as mine.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am

So now it looks like Hafner is out. Let me state the case for calling up Jerad Head one more time.

1. He's with the organization, you don't have to trade for him.
2. He's a RH bat.
3. He could replace Hafner at DH. No defensive worries.
4. He's a power bat.
5. As to all those "holes in his swing", it may take a couple of weeks for MLB pitchers to find those holes. Lord knows, it seems like AAA pitchers have been missing those "holes" all season.
6. If he flops, release him. At least we would have gave him a chance.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:25 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:So now it looks like Hafner is out. Let me state the case for calling up Jerad Head one more time.

1. He's with the organization, you don't have to trade for him.
2. He's a RH bat.
3. He could replace Hafner at DH. No defensive worries.
4. He's a power bat.
5. As to all those "holes in his swing", it may take a couple of weeks for MLB pitchers to find those holes. Lord knows, it seems like AAA pitchers have been missing those "holes" all season.
6. If he flops, release him. At least we would have gave him a chance.

With the advent of an invention called "video" and the depth of scouting information, it won't take more than 10 minutes for a club to find out what and where the holes are in Head's swing. The difference in the quality of of AAA pitching to ML pitching has become enormous. See Luis Valbuena as an example.. While you cannot project one player's failures onto another player, Jared Head has not received a promotion for reasons that are clear to the Indians front office.. they think he'll be abused in the ML's.. They could be wrong.. and he could be released.. and.. and..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 am

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Still seeing it though, the lack of a big RH bat as the issue thats going to plague this team.. Anyone else besides me believe that this off-season a LaPorta/OF upgrade (RH) is the #1 target?

No question
The Indians have had such terrible luck with Free Agent signings.. so it's doubtful they would delve into that market for a RH bat, be that a 1B or an OF'er. The acquisition of Thomas Neal could be the guy that the Indians rely on for a RH'd stick in the outfield. Another trade or two may be in the offing going forward once the 2011 season is completed.

But, back to LaPorta: While there doesn't seem to be anyone that is overly enthralled with Matt LaPorta's season, has it really been a 'disaster'? He did have a short stint on the DL, (about three weeks) this year, which is becoming an ongoing concern. But, looking at what to expect from the average MLB 1B: he has a BA of .270, has hit 10 homers and has driven in 38 RBI's. Matt's batting average is sitting at .243 with 11 homers and 43 RBI's. What this says is that he's about average.. not great.. not bad.. but somewhere in the middle of the pack as it relates to MLB 1B's. He is fairly young (26 years old) and has improved his defense at 1B to the point that he may be considered the Indians best option defensively at 1B. In short, he's growing up with the rest of the kids on this team and will continue to do so on into the 2012 season...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 am

I am sorry but going forward you cannot expect to compete when your 1st baseman is putting up LaPorta numbers.... He has had 2 years now roughly and if those middle of pack numbers are acceptable numbers well then you are fine with a middle of the pack team...Personally I feel those are BELOW average numbers and unacceptable for a starting 1B. Any team with half a brain would be looking to upgrade that spot this off-season. I am not saying throw him to the dogs, but he is turning into a bench player one day at a time..... faster and faster. Next season I hope to see a true RH hitter manning 1B.

As for Head - sure hes got holes in his swing... But I have (or am) losing faith in the organization's ability to determine and quantify talent..... especially when it comes to the newbie ML and fringe type guys... Before you blast me - one name - Constanza.... Had you bet me he would be 80% owned in my fantasy league right now at the start of the year, I would have paid you handsomely...

No reason not to give Head a shot - especially when other options are already weak... I am really starting to question the upper management of this team... Starting to think they might be messing it up....
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:09 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I am sorry but going forward you cannot expect to compete when your 1st baseman is putting up LaPorta numbers.... He has had 2 years now roughly and if those middle of pack numbers are acceptable numbers well then you are fine with a middle of the pack team...Personally I feel those are BELOW average numbers and unacceptable for a starting 1B. Any team with half a brain would be looking to upgrade that spot this off-season. I am not saying throw him to the dogs, but he is turning into a bench player one day at a time..... faster and faster. Next season I hope to see a true RH hitter manning 1B.

As for Head - sure hes got holes in his swing... But I have (or am) losing faith in the organization's ability to determine and quantify talent..... especially when it comes to the newbie ML and fringe type guys... Before you blast me - one name - Constanza.... Had you bet me he would be 80% owned in my fantasy league right now at the start of the year, I would have paid you handsomely...

No reason not to give Head a shot - especially when other options are already weak... I am really starting to question the upper management of this team... Starting to think they might be messing it up....
As far as you assessment of MLB 1B's go, whatever you consider to be acceptable is not defined other than to say you don't like what you have now.. that's pretty cynical, tbh...

As for Head.. he's hitting all of .200 in his last 40 AB's.. is continuing to strike out once in every four at bats. He's not at all like Constanza, who was hitting in the .310 .320 range with 1 strikeout in every eight or nine at bats in AAA before being called up to the Braves. Long story short.. Head has the kind of holes that are easily exploited. He is not ready to be a ML OF'er now..or, perhaps ever.. a lot like Luis Valbuena.. AAAA material he is..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:22 pm

From www.thediatribe.com:

Average AL 1B
.272 BA / .341 OBP / .452 SLG / .793 OPS

LaPorta
.242 BA / .296 OBP / .414 SLG / .710 OPS

He's below average in the 3 traditional stat categories, plus OPS. And he's viewed negatively on defense as well (-6.6 per Fangraphs).
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Magneticnorth451 wrote:From http://www.thediatribe.com:

Average AL 1B
.272 BA / .341 OBP / .452 SLG / .793 OPS

LaPorta
.242 BA / .296 OBP / .414 SLG / .710 OPS

He's below average in the 3 traditional stat categories, plus OPS. And he's viewed negatively on defense as well (-6.6 per Fangraphs).
I used the Yahoo comparisons for BA, RBI's and HR's.. if you look long and hard enough at stats, they can tell you whatever you want them to.. with confidence...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm

LaPorta has a negative WAR... for his career.

I want the guy to be good, but it's becoming harder and harder to believe he'll be the answer long-term at 1st.

Obviously he'll be there next year, unless the Indians splurge on Prince Fielder or Albert Pujols (not likely).

For what it's worth, Santana is 11th in WAR for all Major League 1B. LaPorta is 68th.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Tough weekend, but with a VERY favorable homestand coming up with 11 games against the Mariners, Royals and Athletics, the Indians have a great opportunity to get on a roll and have a great homestand. Gotta at least go 7-4 though I am really hoping for 8-3.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 pm

While I have no interest in seeing Jerad Head attempt to play major league baseball, there's no way to stretch the stats to show Matt LaPorta's performance as "about average" for an American League starting first baseman.

Magnetic North's slash stats for first basemen are accurate -- showing LaPorta well below average at the position -- and that covers all games for everyone when they've played the position.

LaPorta is one of 12 American League players who have played more than half of their team's games at first base (that leaves out Justin Morneau's injury filled season and Oakland's unsettled mess). Taking the stats that have been used in this thread, among those 12, here are LaPorta's numbers and his rank:

HR: 11 (10th)
RBI: 43 (10th)
BA: .242 (11th)
OBP: .296 (12th)
SLG: .414 (10th)
WAR: 0.1 (11th)

...basically, he's better than whatever the A's have put out there, and slightly better than what Baltimore got from Derrek Lee before they traded him. He's performed about the same as Seattle's Justin Smoak (particularly in park-adjusted stats).
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Twins place Thome on waivers. If the Hafner injury is serious the Indians should make a claim. Even if hes out a couple weeks it makes sense to me
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Twins place Thome on waivers. If the Hafner injury is serious the Indians should make a claim. Even if hes out a couple weeks it makes sense to me

Makes sense to me, too. You're likely to get the same production from Thome as you would from Hafner, anyway.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Carlos Pena placed on trade waivers, too.

He can actually play the field...
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Kubel another option
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Thome seems like a realistic possibility to me... he'd help, shouldn't cost much at all, and the White Sox are the only competitive team that could put in a waiver claim ahead of Cleveland (and they still have Konerko limited to DH duty + Dunn in the way). Not to mention, it would double as a nice PR move.

The Indians had put in a claim for Rich Harden, but couldn't work out a deal. He cannot be moved in a waiver deal the rest of the season.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Thome seems like a realistic possibility to me... he'd help, shouldn't cost much at all, and the White Sox are the only competitive team that could put in a waiver claim ahead of Cleveland (and they still have Konerko limited to DH duty + Dunn in the way). Not to mention, it would double as a nice PR move.

The Indians had put in a claim for Rich Harden, but couldn't work out a deal. He cannot be moved in a waiver deal the rest of the season.
+ 1 on Thome... Being a part of what was.. and will be.. would be nice...

The claim for Harden was a surprise.. The Red Sox and or the Yankees were two places that could have benefitted from acquiring him.. boo hoo for them...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:30 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Pork Chop Pough wrote:Thome seems like a realistic possibility to me... he'd help, shouldn't cost much at all, and the White Sox are the only competitive team that could put in a waiver claim ahead of Cleveland (and they still have Konerko limited to DH duty + Dunn in the way). Not to mention, it would double as a nice PR move.

The claim for Harden was a surprise.. The Red Sox and or the Yankees were two places that could have benefitted from acquiring him.. boo hoo for them...

Little late but still on topic, why didn't we block the Delmon Young waiver to Detroit like we did the Rich Harden one? Couldn't we have just put a claim on him and not tried to make a trade, therefore preventing him from landing in Detroit? He has been hitting the ball real well since being traded. :s_mad
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Young had been underachieving with only 5 hrs until traded to Detroit. He's already hit 3 as a Tiger.

Personally I'd place a claim on both Thome and Kubel. I know both are left hand hitters but if the Tribe acq. One or both it definately add a spark to this sputtering offense. Thome would def. Be intriguing only hitting .256 w/ 12hrs and 40rbi and Kubel has a .295 avg with 9 hrs in 78 gms and is a type B FA at seasons end.

Interesting that the Tribe claimed Harden, wonder if it was to block the Motown kitties from getting him or both the Yanks and Red Sox. Could be the Tribe wanted him as a 5th starter.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:17 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Little late but still on topic, why didn't we block the Delmon Young waiver to Detroit like we did the Rich Harden one? Couldn't we have just put a claim on him and not tried to make a trade, therefore preventing him from landing in Detroit? He has been hitting the ball real well since being traded. :s_mad

Probably because the Twins really did want to get rid of him, so they may have dumped his contract on any team that put in a claim, even if a trade wasn't worked out. If Cleveland was only interested in blocking a trade to another team, I doubt they wanted to risk getting an underachieving jackass who can't play defense, is making 5.4 million this year, and is arbitration eligible in the off-season.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:11 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

I liked the Harden claim. Can never stay healthy but gotta love his K-rate. Would have been a nice bullpen option/spot starter IMO. Plus you blocked Detroit from possibly getting him.

I agree on Thome. Not expensive and fills a need at DH right now. would be a nice sendoff as well should he hang em up after the year.

I also like Pena. Much more expensive but as said, can play the field (and well).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 pm

I brought this up last week, Thome has been more effective than Pronk, higher OPS and more HR, he cant hit lefties at all, so not sure what you do with him, but he would be a upgrade and I think he would sell more tickets
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 pm

jellis wrote:I brought this up last week, Thome has been more effective than Pronk, higher OPS and more HR, he cant hit lefties at all, so not sure what you do with him, but he would be a upgrade and I think he would sell more tickets

Who can't hit lefties at all? Thome has a career OPS of .767 off them (not good but not bad)...and this year it's .988 (better than righties). Also has 4 HRs in only 47 at-bats against them this year. He'd be our best bat against lefties...

Perhaps you were referring to Hafner (and his .642 OPS against lefties) though? :dunno:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors