RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Pitching Staff

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Pitching Staff

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:15 pm

How will the 2011 pitching staff shake out? Who will surprise and who will disappoint? Which pitchers or prospects will step it up a notch and who will fade away?

Any predictions on who makes the opening day roster?
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Re: Pitching Staff

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Mitch Talbot is no sure thing IMO. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him as the weak link in the staff with the possibility of becoming a relief pitcher (just when they needed more...) at some point. He's not one of my favorites and could be replaced in the rotation as early as mid to late summer.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Not confident in Talbot either. Barring injury this spring, I expect the front four of the rotation to be Carmona, Masterson, Talbot and Carrasco (in no particular order). The 5th spot could get interesting. It could go to Huff or Tomlin, or it could go to Bonderman/Millwood if they sign one of them, or it could end up being someone they pick up at the end of spring training who they pick up after they exercise an out clause. I've heard that last one as being a possibility as a few of the pitchers they tried to sign who signed minor league deals elsewhere have opt outs at the end of spring.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:38 pm

I think the 5th spot will be filled by either Bonderman or Millwood from the looks of it. Would take Millwood over Bonderman, no question. If they don't get a 5th for some reason I would like to see Huff, in a make it or break it type situation. If he hangs in great if not I don't think it can be seen as a loss. Agree that Talbot is a bit of a wildcard, though think he makes the team out of ST without question, though early season struggles prolly wont be tolerated for very long when all things are considered
Carmona
Masterson
Carrasco
Talbot/Millwood
Millwood/Bonderman/Talbot/Huff/Tomlin/? - late ST pickup

If you are looking for a surpise - with a great spring I think JGomez could take that 5th/Talbot spot.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:10 pm

criznit2009 wrote:I think the 5th spot will be filled by either Bonderman or Millwood from the looks of it. Would take Millwood over Bonderman, no question. If they don't get a 5th for some reason I would like to see Huff, in a make it or break it type situation. If he hangs in great if not I don't think it can be seen as a loss. Agree that Talbot is a bit of a wildcard, though think he makes the team out of ST without question, though early season struggles prolly wont be tolerated for very long when all things are considered
Carmona
Masterson
Carrasco
Talbot/Millwood
Millwood/Bonderman/Talbot/Huff/Tomlin/? - late ST pickup

If you are looking for a surpise - with a great spring I think JGomez could take that 5th/Talbot spot.

If potential counts for much, Gomez might be in the running. I think he really needs more time at Columbus to improve his change and curve to go along with the fastball and slider, both of which might be plus pitches this year. As a prediction, I think Gomez pitches at 92-93 and reaches 95-96. It's all guesswork at this point but I rather think Talbot starts in the rotation but finishes the year in another organization. But with a staff this young anything can happen. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 am

I don't think it's that critical who ends up with the #5 spot to start the season. Over the course of the year I think several pitchers will get auditions in the #5 slot and possibly the #4 spot depending on Talbot's health and effectiveness. The big thing will be who nails down those last two spots when they get the chance.

I'm hoping it's White and Gomez but it could realistically be Bonderman (if signed), Tomlin, or even somebody coming out of nowhere like Gomez last year. The only guy I can't see is Huff, and that's based on looking at his ERA's the last two years. Being a lefty is in his favor, though, so I'm not completely counting him out yet. But at age 26 and with all the young power arms moving up in the system, he better make a quantum leap this year or its sayonara.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:00 am

Going pitcher to pitcher is kind of difficult, you get caught up in the hope vs dread issue. It is sort of tough to be really objective in that kind of analysis.

I take it from a team overview perspective. Last season the Tribe gave up 20 more earned runs than league average. They also had the worst BB/K pitching rate in the entire AL. I'd like to see the team get below league average on earned runs, even if it is just 1 run less than average. I'd also like to see them get closer to league average in BB/K pitching rates. If they do both of these, I'd consider it to be good progress on the pitching front.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JayAre » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm excited to see what Carrasco does this year. Not so much for Talbot, Tomlin, or Gomez. Eat some innings; if one of them has a solid 2011 I'll be pleased. And this is Masterson's last hurrah as a starter if he can't improve against lefties. I'll be more interested in how the club shapes up offensively, as outside of CC, I don't see any long-term answers in the rotation.
JayAre
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 pm

It's pretty easy to see that Fausto & Masterson are locks to start the 2011 season in the starting rotation..most likely in the # 1 & # 2 slots of the rotation. After that, a LOT of questions exist:

Carlos Carrasco, unless he falls on his sword, should slot into the # 3 slot. His maturity over the seven starts to finish he 2010 season in the ML's was easy to see and project. Carrasco needs to continue to show progress and maturity by working at his craft, specifically his off speed pitch command and control. He's a keeper.

After FAUSTO !, Masterson and CarCar.. the certainty surround the Indians starting pitching staff becomes murkier and murkier....

Neither Talbot or Tomlin should consider themselves "safe" going into spring training in 2011. Both showed they can pitch at the MLB level with some effectiveness, however, consistency elluded both during the grind that is a ML season. . Tomlin was leaking a LOT of oil coming down the stretch in 2010 but maintained a decent K/BB ratio while his ERA bloomed to 4 1/2.. Talbot showed more consistency ( a lot more starts), overall, but, he is clearly a # 4 / # 5 type starter, no more..no less. He gives up too many walks for a pitch to contact pitcher. If he wants stay in the rotation, he's going to need to reduce his free passes. David Huff regressed from his mediocre/poor 2009 season.. His stuff just hasn't played well, with his K/BB ratio being atrocious. He needs a hair on fire spring to earn the trust Tim Belcher and Manny Acta has placed in him. These are the primary "candidates" for the starting rotation coming into spring training.

The dark horses for the Indians rotation include Corey Kluber, Zach McAllister and Jeanmar Gomez and, to a lesser degree, Aaron Laffey. Of these four, Kluber could surprise and make the decision to keep him at AAA Columbus that much more difficult... Jeanmar Gomez is not to be taken lightly as his 2010 season could best be described as "eye opening" save for his last few starts where he was clearly fatigued.. Z-Mac will have to have a great Spring Training followed by a hair on fire start for the 2011 Clippers season to be in the running as the first call up from Columbus... Overall, this is a talented and young pitching staff that could be as much as 9 deep. Alex White and Drew Pomeranz will begin to make their push for a major league spot over the course of the summer.. we shall see...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Carmona, Talbot, and Masterson are the locks (barring injury/trade). Carrasco would appear to be one too barring a major meltdown in camp. I'm guessing too that some vet is brought in as the 5t starter (though could be pitching 2nd in the order).

I agree, Talbot is no sure thing to stick around but he pitched well enough that he's earned a spot to start the year. Had a very solid September (ERA under 3, BAA under .240) and that's despite the fact that he more than doubled his workload from 2009 to 2010 (68 to 159 innings). He was clearly out of gas in the 2nd half.

Toss me in the pro-Huff boat too if the Tribe decides not to bring in a starter. I'm not really a big Huff fan, but would be nice to see a lefty in the rotation and see Huff come back from last year's struggles.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 am

I'd rather see Aaron Laffey in the rotation than David Huff. They need to know what Huff is ... bust? or not, regardless it's not much maybe a 5th starter competing with about 4-5 other 5th starters. It's time for Huff now or else he's gone at the end of the season.

Anthony Reyes is a guy who could pitch himself into a rotation or bullpen spot at some time. He is still recovering from TJ and ulnar nerve transposition and will probably get a chance to log some innings at some point if he can return healthy. Reyes struggled for several yrs with the elbow, and has not been healthy since being acq. from the Cards.

ROTATION
Carmona
Masterson
Carrasco
Millwood or Bonderman ? -IF SIGNED-
Talbot
Tomlin -IF NO VET IS SIGNED-
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:46 am

BULLPEN (in no particular order)
CPerez
RPerez
TSipp
JSmith
JLewis
JMartinez
ALaffey

The last cpl of spots are weak, hopefully Josh Judy, Vinnie Pestano, Jess Todd and Bryce Stowell make it difficult to choose but I don't think the Tribe will go with any rookies early on.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 am

I really thought Germano did an outstanding job. In his last appearance of the season he got rocked for 5 runs in 2 innings, but in his other 22 appearances he had an ERA of 2.16. In 21 of his 23 appearances he gave up 0 or 1 run. He was the most effective middle reliever on the team by far last year, and he's only 28. I'm not sure why he doesn't seem to be in the plans.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanx for the reminder. I forgot they brought Germano back on a minor league deal. Scratch Joe Martinez off that list. The bullpen might actually look similar to last yr. Also left off Frank Hermann...he might have to shuttle between Cleveland and Columbus.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Herrmann is somewhat similar to Germano in that one bad appearance skewed his stats.

24 appearances - 0 earned runs allowed
15 appearances - 1 ER allowed
1 appearance - 5 ERs allowed

He had that one game against the Orioles where he gave up 5 earned runs in 1.2 innings. In his other 39 appearances his ERA was 3.02; not great but not bad for a middle reliever.

Herrmann was tough on right-handers, limiting them to a .629 OPS. Lefties lit him up for a .920 OPS, so he's similar to Joe Smith in that regard.

Herrmann needs to be ready to pitch when he takes the mound:

Pitches 1-15: .802 OPS
Pitches 16-30: .481 OPS

If he can get through the first 15 pitches without any damage he's very, very tough. The best use of this guy is to bring him in to start an inning with mostly right-handed hitters due up. Opposing batters hit .321 against him with men on base.

The problem is that opponents usually stack their lineups with left-handed hitters since all the Tribe's starters are right-handed, so it limits the number of situations where Herrmann can be used to his best advantage. However, he was very good with two out and RISP, so you can bring him in to face a right-handed hitter in a tough spot to get out of an inning.

Herrmann is still only 26 and last year was his first year as a reliever, if I'm not mistaken. If he can find a way to pitch more effectively to lefties and be ready to go from the first pitch, he could challenge Joe Smith or Jensen Lewis for a middle relief spot. He's consistent now, allowing zero or one run in 39 of 40 appearances. He won't lose the game for you in the 6th or 7th inning.

I like Smith and Germano for that right-handed middle-relief role. Not sure if we need three, but if so it's a close call between Herrmann and Jensen Lewis in my book. It seems like everytime Lewis gets a shot he flashes for a while but always ends up back in AAA, so I might give big Frank the first shot.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby petes999 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Like the stats on Hermann .... but the problem with breaking down the OPS by first 15 pitches and thereafter saying he pitches better the deeper he goes (the more ready he is to pitch) is that relievers either have it or not in a given outing. Thus, if he goes in and has his stuff, he can come in and go 3-6 batters and have a great OPS even in the first 15 pitches. It is when he comes in and gives up a hit in the first 15 pitches because he doesn't have it that he is yanked ... and doesn't damage his OPS for the next 15 pitches. Also note, giving up one hit and then yanked, may lead a reliever to have a lot of outtings with 1 ER ....
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Thinking that J lewis gets bumped for Herrmann or Germano. Martinez would surpirse me if he is even here at the end of ST. I think Germano will start the year in AAA but could very quickly replace Joe Smith or Lewis. Really though if Stowell is lighting up Columbus he should be expedited to the show.
Bullpen:
CPerez
RPerez
TSipp
JSmith
Herrmann/Jensen Lewis/Germano
ALaffey
1st callups:
Germano/Pestano or Stowell - possibly Judy if he is killing it.

Kinda think J Lewis days are coming to end though I am often wrong. Kinda funny, seems like this is the most solid the pen has been in awhile - complete with question marks and answers though.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Lewis was up and down three times last year by my count, but after Sep. 1 he made 12 appearances and only gave up one earned run. He finished extremely well, so he's in the mix.

That being said, he got chances each of the last three years and got sent to the minors at least once every year. He really needs to break out of that AAAA zone once and for all. With so many really good relief prospects in the system his time is running out, just like Herrmann, Smith, Laffey and Lewis.

I would not put Laffey in the bullpen if it means sending Germano to the minors. Just look at their numbers last year - Germano was better. I know there's supposed to be a spot for a "long reliever/spot starter", but Germano is a former starter with the Padres who can easily go 3-4 innings if necessary.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:37 am

I'm curious which young arm will see the bigs first this yr. They need that lock down 8th inning arm why not give some of the young guns the opp. Let Jess Todd, Vinnie Pestano, Zach Putnam, Bryce Stowell, and Josh Judy have a real chance. If they look ready trade away Joe Smith and Jensen Lewis during the season. There's going to be a log jam in the system next yr with all these arms let some of these power arms prove themselves. I think we will be kicking ourselves next yr when / If they lose some of these guys in the rule 5 draft, unfortunately they won't be able to protect them all.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 am

Just looking at the relief pitchers in the organizational depth chart it's clear we have a huge number of exciting prospects, more than any other position by far IMO. It's going to be fun watching them claw their way up the ladder over the next couple of years. In no particular order:

Frank Herrmann
T.J. McFarland
Jess Todd
Bryce Stowell
Austin Adams
C.C. Lee
Marty Popham
Zach Putnam
Rob Bryson
Tyler Sturdevant
Josh Judy
Matt Langwell
Bryan Price
Vinnie Pestano
Cory Burns
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 am

Prosecutor wrote:Just looking at the relief pitchers in the organizational depth chart it's clear we have a huge number of exciting prospects, more than any other position by far IMO. It's going to be fun watching them claw their way up the ladder over the next couple of years. In no particular order:

Frank Herrmann
T.J. McFarland
Jess Todd
Bryce Stowell
Austin Adams
C.C. Lee
Marty Popham
Zach Putnam
Rob Bryson
Tyler Sturdevant
Josh Judy
Matt Langwell
Bryan Price
Vinnie Pestano
Cory Burns
Typically, when it comes to "prospects" 1 in 10 or 20 make it.. (Make it is defined as staying for more than a cup of coffee).. With this list.. you can sort out the top five or so that have the best chance to "make it"..who are they? For me.. Pestano, Price, Judy, Bryson, & Stowell.. who are yours..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Glad to see McFarland included in the list. He could be important to the Indians. I think Putnam and Austin both have very high ceilings, maybe the best other than Stowell and Bryson. But both Stowell and Bryson have injury issues IMO but that is a good group of arms. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm

I think Bryan Price is a sleeper. Bryce Stowell will see the majors throwing 100 mph but can the elbow hold? From someone who has injured their elbow, I don't think it's ever the same, but he can protect it. I really like Zach Putnam, Austin Adams is still developing, Rob Bryson is another good power arm can't forget Josh Judy, Vinnie Pestano either. How about a lefty Eric Berger, what if Scott Barnes moves to the pen I like his aggression coming from the pen and another lefty Chris Jones along with McFarland as possible lefty relievers too.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:19 am

They are making a mistake even starting camp with Laffey in the running for a starting job. He doesn't have the durability to sustain a starter's log, and they should realize that by now. They should lock him in as a releiver, and just settle him in to one role and stick with it. The jerking around of this really decent lefty, has taken a toll on him and needs to stop.

He's a solid early / middle innings lefty in my opinion, and needs to be settled in that role and left to thrive in it.

I'm hoping and expecting Tomlin to get the 5th spot in the rotation, and would like to see both Huff and Gomez go to Buffalo and finish off the issues they need to address to get them where they need to be without the pressure of winning at the major league level.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby danh8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:21 am

Prosecutor wrote:Just looking at the relief pitchers in the organizational depth chart it's clear we have a huge number of exciting prospects, more than any other position by far IMO. It's going to be fun watching them claw their way up the ladder over the next couple of years. In no particular order:

Frank Herrmann
T.J. McFarland
Jess Todd
Bryce Stowell
Austin Adams
C.C. Lee
Marty Popham
Zach Putnam
Rob Bryson
Tyler Sturdevant
Josh Judy
Matt Langwell
Bryan Price
Vinnie Pestano
Cory Burns

and I'd put Hagadone on that list as well...
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:43 am

danh8 wrote:They are making a mistake even starting camp with Laffey in the running for a starting job. He doesn't have the durability to sustain a starter's log, and they should realize that by now. They should lock him in as a releiver, and just settle him in to one role and stick with it. The jerking around of this really decent lefty, has taken a toll on him and needs to stop.

He's a solid early / middle innings lefty in my opinion, and needs to be settled in that role and left to thrive in it.

I'm hoping and expecting Tomlin to get the 5th spot in the rotation, and would like to see both Huff and Gomez go to Buffalo and finish off the issues they need to address to get them where they need to be without the pressure of winning at the major league level.

+1 except I don't think Laffey survives any longer in the role than 2010. Just not as talented IMO as the relief arms in Columbus and Akron even if Hagadone stays a starter. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:42 am

danh8; ...I'm hoping and expecting Tomlin to get the 5th spot in the rotation, and would like to see both Huff and Gomez go to Buffalo...
Unless you know of a trade with the Mets.. are Tomlin & Gomez going onto Niagra Falls for some tourist type things?.. :lol:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:58 am

Prosecutor: Frank Herrmann, T.J. McFarland, Jess Todd, Bryce Stowell, Austin Adams, C.C. Lee, Marty Popham, Zach Putnam, Rob Bryson, Tyler Sturdevant, Josh Judy, Matt Langwell, Bryan Price, Vinnie Pestano, Cory Burns.
Sort of consolidated the list to two lines..

Nick Hagadone certainly deserves to be on the list if he's an RP.. same with Scott Barnes.. It doesn't look like the Indians are ready to concede both of these lefties are destined for for MLB careers in the bullpen, yet.. Hagadone is getting to make or break time, but, that may be delayed a year after the injury issues. Hag's Akron SP slot and early season success (or failure) could determine his fate within the Indians organization. One thing is certain, Hag's isn't worth a warm bucket of spit if he can't consistently find home plate... Scott Barnes is still just 23 and hasn't exactly set the world on fire while repeating at the AA level.. but he did have an excellent Arizona Fall League season ( stopped walking batters) and could be bouyed into "staying" as an SP to allow him to rack up the IP's...

The Indians current and future pitchers, be they relievers or starters.. need to break the habit of giving away so many free passes..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby danh8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:26 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
danh8; ...I'm hoping and expecting Tomlin to get the 5th spot in the rotation, and would like to see both Huff and Gomez go to Buffalo...
Unless you know of a trade with the Mets.. are Tomlin & Gomez going onto Niagra Falls for some tourist type things?.. :lol:

Another sign my mind is in bad shape.... Columbus.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby danh8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:29 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
danh8 wrote:They are making a mistake even starting camp with Laffey in the running for a starting job. He doesn't have the durability to sustain a starter's log, and they should realize that by now. They should lock him in as a releiver, and just settle him in to one role and stick with it. The jerking around of this really decent lefty, has taken a toll on him and needs to stop.

+1 except I don't think Laffey survives any longer in the role than 2010. Just not as talented IMO as the relief arms in Columbus and Akron even if Hagadone stays a starter. :pleasantry:

Very true. With the level of talent we have coming through the sytem, he may be hard pressed to stick past this season. But, being a lefty he could..we'll see.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby toledobuck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 pm

The only other lefty bullpen options in the upper minors would be Berger and C. Jones assuming Hagadone sticks as a starter. Laffey definitely has a place on he Tribe's team being a lefty bullpen / swingman option that can go multiple innings.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby danh8 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:38 am

toledobuck wrote:The only other lefty bullpen options in the upper minors would be Berger and C. Jones assuming Hagadone sticks as a starter. Laffey definitely has a place on he Tribe's team being a lefty bullpen / swingman option that can go multiple innings.

My opinion is that Hagadone will be a bullpen arm, and Matt Packer is kindof a guy that could go either way. If he can show the type durability you look for in a starter, and he improves upon his curve, then he could be a starter and Laffey could stick around awhile. Time will tell..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Bryson can do this season as he reaches the upper levels. He could be the best of the bunch. Love that K rate.

This is the best group of relief prospects I've ever seen. :good:
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ClevelandBlues » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 am

danh8 wrote:

Frank Herrmann
T.J. McFarland
Jess Todd
Bryce Stowell
Austin Adams
C.C. Lee
Marty Popham
Zach Putnam
Rob Bryson
Tyler Sturdevant
Josh Judy
Matt Langwell
Bryan Price
Vinnie Pestano
Cory Burns

I think you also have to include a lot of the starting pitchers into the equation as well. There are only five rotation spots and all of them won't be able to start. Guys like Knapp, Rondon, White, Tomlin, Carrasco, Masterson, Delacruz, House, Haley, and a few others all have the stuff to be dominant relievers. I'm not saying they are all headed to the bullpen, in fact I would say a lot of our future rotation is in that list, but a few of them will be in the bullpen mix at some time in the future. It should be interesting to see who makes it with so many competing for spots. We should have one of the best bullpens in baseball in the next few years.
ClevelandBlues
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 am

ClevelandBlues wrote:
danh8 wrote:

Frank Herrmann
T.J. McFarland
Jess Todd
Bryce Stowell
Austin Adams
C.C. Lee
Marty Popham
Zach Putnam
Rob Bryson
Tyler Sturdevant
Josh Judy
Matt Langwell
Bryan Price
Vinnie Pestano
Cory Burns

I think you also have to include a lot of the starting pitchers into the equation as well. There are only five rotation spots and all of them won't be able to start. Guys like Knapp, Rondon, White, Tomlin, Carrasco, Masterson, Delacruz, House, Haley, and a few others all have the stuff to be dominant relievers. I'm not saying they are all headed to the bullpen, in fact I would say a lot of our future rotation is in that list, but a few of them will be in the bullpen mix at some time in the future. It should be interesting to see who makes it with so many competing for spots. We should have one of the best bullpens in baseball in the next few years.

+1. It is not unreasonalbe to expect seven LHP to go thru Akron this year. Not all will be starters when ready to go to the majors. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:35 am

Good thing the tribe signed Chad Durbin, just when some of these kids would have been developing on the major league level :sad:

At least we can anticipate Durbin being traded by the end of June or at least at the deadline, then they might actually let some of these prospects have a shot.

Whats the purpose of a developmental yr, without the development? Isn't that a complete contradiction? Oh well it's Cleveland... Bizzaroland :pardon:
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Good thing the tribe signed Chad Durbin, just when some of these kids would have been developing on the major league level :sad:

At least we can anticipate Durbin being traded by the end of June or at least at the deadline, then they might actually let some of these prospects have a shot.

Whats the purpose of a developmental yr, without the development? Isn't that a complete contradiction? Oh well it's Cleveland... Bizzaroland :pardon:

Development does not only occur in the MLs. Guys like Stowell, Judy, and Putnam could all benefit from more time at AAA. Only guy I see him really blocking that you could say belongs in Cleveland is Hermann and maybe Pestano....then again, there still is one open spot and Hermann could easily get it (over Laffey).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

I have mixed feelings about it, it seems the Tribe is never willing to push some of their talent unless forced to do so by injury, but at what point do they allow some of these guys to break through, Jeanmar Gomez pitched better in the majors than he did in the minors.
The tribe needs to find out who some of the keepers are and who is expendable, I'm of the belief you package spare parts to fill long term needs, the tribe has plenty of relievers in the minors and some starters who will likely become relievers... Who does the tribe have as a 1b prospect that could be a backup plan in case LaPorta flops. This is supposed to be a developmental yr afterall.

What I do like about signing Durbin is that he should bring back a pair of decent prospects.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:29 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I have mixed feelings about it, it seems the Tribe is never willing to push some of their talent unless forced to do so by injury, but at what point do they allow some of these guys to break through, Jeanmar Gomez pitched better in the majors than he did in the minors.
The tribe needs to find out who some of the keepers are and who is expendable, I'm of the belief you package spare parts to fill long term needs, the tribe has plenty of relievers in the minors and some starters who will likely become relievers... Who does the tribe have as a 1b prospect that could be a backup plan in case LaPorta flops. This is supposed to be a developmental yr afterall.

What I do like about signing Durbin is that he should bring back a pair of decent prospects.

I agree with you on the pitching front.

FYI, I would put Weglarz as a 1B prospect, he is just in the OF to improve his prospect status. Plus Goedert, J.Brown....1B is not really that much of a concern because if Santana really proves he can be a dominant hitter I see him settling in at 1B to keep him in the line-up every day. My real concern is RF prospects. Way too many of our OF prospects are LF with some CF in there but asside from Abreau who is a RF prospect?
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Good thing the tribe signed Chad Durbin, just when some of these kids would have been developing on the major league level :sad:

Development does not only occur in the MLs. Guys like Stowell, Judy, and Putnam could all benefit from more time at AAA. Only guy I see him really blocking that you could say belongs in Cleveland is Hermann and maybe Pestano....then again, there still is one open spot and Hermann could easily get it (over Laffey).

+1 Hermie. I would guess that Judy and Putnam both might use the first half as finishing school in Columbus but the big arms of Stowell and Hagadone might require a bit more time like a September callup. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:34 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I have mixed feelings about it, it seems the Tribe is never willing to push some of their talent unless forced to do so by injury, but at what point do they allow some of these guys to break through, Jeanmar Gomez pitched better in the majors than he did in the minors.

Andy Marte and Phillips were pushed and not due to injury. I'd argue that Santana was kind of pushed too (only 2 months in AAA). Same with LaPorta.

IMO the Tribe actually pushes guys too much.

And I agree with daingean on 1B prospects mostly. I disagree that Wegz is only in the OF for his "prospect status". Tribe lacks a big back for LF and Wegz very easily could be it. While I think his defense leaves very much to be desired, LF IMO is the position that you want your weakest defender anyways (well other than DH). You are involved in a fraction of the plays that a 1B is. A good 1B saves you so many errors (not saying LaPorta is good yet though). No problem if Wegz is our LFer for the next 10 years. If he's healthy, he shouldn't be any worse than a guy like Ramirez in the OF :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

I guess there is balance to moving these prospects along but other teams seemingly dip into their farm system players who are able to contribute, maybe it is really the case of poor drafting rather than not pushing some of these guys.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk