RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tony Will Like This Quote

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Tony Will Like This Quote

Postby Duane Kuiper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:07 pm

A's general manager Billy Beane scoffs at the notion that his pitching staff will be too young for the team to contend. "There's no such thing as pitching being too young," Beane says. "People said that in 2000. We weren't supposed to be in it because we had Hudson, Mulder and Zito in the rotation. No one knew how good they were. Give me young talent over experience any day of the week." ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8793068
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Re: Tony Will Like This Quote

Postby lofgren09 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 pm

That can explain why they haven't been contenders in a long while.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Duane Kuiper » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:53 pm

lofgren09 wrote:That can explain why they haven't been contenders in a long while.
Huh? They were in the PO in 2006.

They have been in the PO as many times as the Indians in the last 3 years.

And they blow the Indians out of the water with 5 PO appearances in the 2000s compared to 2 for the Indians.

It's not even close. Shapiro will never come close to the PO AP that Beane's teams have.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby lofgren09 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:07 pm

They haven't got anywhere in the playoffs, have they? Not since the days of McSteriod and Sons.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TheWord » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Shapiro has gone farther than Beane ever has. One ALCS appearance in his tenure and they got smoked by Detroit.

Woop-dee-do.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:35 am

I do agree that teams like Oakland and Cleveland need to embrace young talent. When you have it, use it. When you have gaps to fill because of a lack of young talent, you THEN fill with veterans. The Indians need to do a much better job of mixing in young players and sticking with them. No excuse not to have guys like Jordan Brown, Trevor Crowe and Jeff Stevens playing in Sept this past season.

The Red Sox, as much as I hate to admit it, are the model franchise. While they have the money to buy literally any player, they also have the right philosophy in regard to young talent where they build from within. They just fill in their gaps with all-star players acquired via trade/FA, whereas the small market teams fill gaps with players from the bargain bins. Still, the Red Sox threw Papelbon right into the closing fire....locked in on guys liek Buchholz, Lester, Pedroia, Delcarmen, Masterson, Lowrie, and Hansen in the last two seasons.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:34 am

The key to that quote is young 'talent'. When the Tribe has a young guy that's really talented they insert them (like Carmona and Sizemore).....problem is, we haven't had much of it, especially when compared to Oakland.

we also did give Marte the starting job as a 23 year old.....didn't work out though. Also gave Sowers a big time role.....and called up Cabrera and Laffey.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm

TheWord wrote:Shapiro has gone farther than Beane ever has. One ALCS appearance in his tenure and they got smoked by Detroit.

Woop-dee-do.
So you prefer 2 PO in 8 years with one ALCS appearance to 5 PO appearances???

I don't.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Duane Kuiper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:29 pm

Hermie13 wrote:The key to that quote is young 'talent'. When the Tribe has a young guy that's really talented they insert them (like Carmona and Sizemore).....problem is, we haven't had much of it, especially when compared to Oakland.

we also did give Marte the starting job as a 23 year old.....didn't work out though. Also gave Sowers a big time role.....and called up Cabrera and Laffey.....
Sizemore only got to start because a vet got injured.

Dellucci and Michaels were here when Ben was a much better talent. Shap is trying to bring in a vet closer when Lewis or others in the org could do it.

They kept vets instead of giving Phillips and Guthrie a spot.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:21 pm

Well Ben isn't a very good talent......lesser of 3 evils I suppose......

And Lewis shouldn't be a closer for any ML team, let alone Cleveland. Meloan and Miller could use a bit more seasoning before being thrown into the fray.

They gave Guthrie shots.....but he stunk in his stints with Cleveland. Wasn't vets that kept him from coming up.

The Phillips situation did stink.....not gonna argue with that one......though Belliard did play well for us, including an All-Star appearance.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:34 pm

Guthrie was given one ML start. That wasn't enough.

Quote from today.
But in discussing the hiring of Chuck Hernandez as bullpen coach today, Wedge gave his strongest remarks yet about the need to find a closer.

"You hate to put all your eggs in one basket," Wedge said. "Jensen did a great job at the end, but he's still unproven. Until you've done it a whole year, or really even beyond that, you can't look at someone as a proven closer. There are too many X factors involved there."

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives ... loser.html

Same old stuff. They never learn. They will never develop their own closer with this mentality.

Somebody needs to show the FO whant happened in 2006 when STL won a WS with an unproven closer. Or 2005 when Chi used an unproven closer.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:Guthrie was given one ML start. That wasn't enough.

Quote from today.
But in discussing the hiring of Chuck Hernandez as bullpen coach today, Wedge gave his strongest remarks yet about the need to find a closer.

"You hate to put all your eggs in one basket," Wedge said. "Jensen did a great job at the end, but he's still unproven. Until you've done it a whole year, or really even beyond that, you can't look at someone as a proven closer. There are too many X factors involved there."

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives ... loser.html

Same old stuff. They never learn. They will never develop their own closer with this mentality.

Somebody needs to show the FO whant happened in 2006 when STL won a WS with an unproven closer. Or 2005 when Chi used an unproven closer.

The Cardnials' closer in 2006 was Jason Isringhausen.....he was there closer for a few years before that and also was 33 at the time.....definately wasn't unproven.

And in 2005 Bobby Jenks wasn't the closer for the White Sox. Dustin Hermanson was their closer (had 34 saves) and was 32. Again, not unproven. Jenks wasn't even in the MLs for much of that year. His rookie year wasn't til 2006. He did pitch very well down the stretch though, and earned the job for the playoffs, which could very likely happen with Adam Miller, Jon Meloan, or Tony Sipp....but Jensen Lewis is a setup guy and should be used as such. Bring on Hoffman.

Guthrie didn't pitch well in AAA either. He was given innings in the bigs, but didn't perform. Very unfortunate we lost him.....but he didn't give the Indians much of a choice....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Hermie, they basically won with Adam Wainwright closing for them though. Izzy got hurt and it was Wainwright in the playoffs. Same thing with Jenks.. Those guys were unproven and they were thrown into the fire.

I'm interested to see why Jensen should be considered a setup guy when so far.. He hasn't blown a save.. He hasn't shown any reason for you to say he is definitely a set up guy.

He deserves a chance to prove he can't close games before you say that.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:22 pm

Exactly. Wainwright came in at the END of the season after getting started during the season. Somethign I think we could very likely see with Miller or Meloan.

Can Lewis close? Yes.....but he'll be like a Kevin Gregg or Bob Wickman type. Not ideal. His stuff just isn't that great. I'd rather bring in a guy like Trevor Hoffman and let Lewis pitch the 8th inning with Perez. We'd be a MUCH better team for it.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:26 pm

Trevor Hoffman's stuff isn't 'ideal' for a closer though, so I don't understand that.

What exactly is 'ideal' stuff for a closer? a good fastball? a dominating off speed pitch? a wicked slider?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Duane Kuiper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Getting a proven closer will cost twice as much or more than getting a setup man. And if Lewis' stuff isn't that great, then why would you want him to pitch the 8th which usually has more pressure than the 9th?

Lewis stuff is perfect for the 9th. Com ein with nobody on base and get 3 outs.

Get a SO guy like Cruz for the 8th.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:30 pm

npc29 wrote:Trevor Hoffman's stuff isn't 'ideal' for a closer though, so I don't understand that.

What exactly is 'ideal' stuff for a closer? a good fastball? a dominating off speed pitch? a wicked slider?

one plus plus pitch, If you look at the great closers they all have the one dominant pitch they completely trust
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:34 am

Duane Kuiper wrote:Getting a proven closer will cost twice as much or more than getting a setup man. And if Lewis' stuff isn't that great, then why would you want him to pitch the 8th which usually has more pressure than the 9th?

Bring him in during the 8th with no one on base. Let Perez handle it if men get on base, since he's got the better stuff.

I do like Cruz in the 8th....but still would like Hoffman for the 9th. I just lost a lot of confidence in Lewis last year. Thought we had closer stuff going into the year but his fastball didn't seem as lively and doesn't seem like much more than a middle reliever to me.....

Obviously I hope I'm wrong about him.....would love for him to turn into a great closer.......but just don't see it. Perez, Meloan, and Miller all look like better candidates for the spot.....

Also, Cruz will cost about $3.5-4M in 2009.....Hoffman will likely cost $5-6M. Not double or more. Obviously if he does cost more than that, I'm backing off. Trading for a guy will also cost less than double in money (Valverde will be around $6M, Street around $4.5M).....will cost players though.....

And there's a lot of teams in on Cruz....he'll be tougher to get than Hoffman I fear....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:50 am

Hermie13 wrote:I just lost a lot of confidence in Lewis last year. Thought we had closer stuff going into the year but his fastball didn't seem as lively and doesn't seem like much more than a middle reliever to me.....

Obviously I hope I'm wrong about him.....would love for him to turn into a great closer.......but just don't see it.

Then why do you want him to pitch the 8th?
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Duane Kuiper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 am

Back to the original point.

The Indians are telling Lewis that even though you were perfect as a closer, it isn't good enough. Same like they told Garko after he hit .303 .384 .498 .882 in AAA. Same like they told Phillips after he hit .303 .358 .430 .788 in AAA. Same like they told Ben after he hit .318 .382 .496 .878 in AAA.

The Indians are screwing with the minds of the prospects and all it does is make the chances they will succeed lower.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:17 pm

13 saves and less than 2 months as closer is not enough to warrant him having the role going into next year. They're not saying he's going to the minors.

They told Garko that and he came on strong and he then set the record for most RBIs in a season while playing in 50 or fewer games. Sometimes making a guy earn it really helps a young player.

And I'd actually prefer Lewis in the 7th inning. My ideal situation would be adding Cruz and Shouse, then letting Perez close. Use Cruz and Shouse in the 8th inning and Lewis and/or Betancourt in the 7th. Like Kobayashi do mop up duty and pitch the 6th as well.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Duane, while I agree with you in principle, I do agree with the approach the Indians are taking with the closer's spot. It is quite possibly the most important decision of the offseason, because as our closer situation has gone the last 4-5 years so has the season. To put all the eggs into one basket with Lewis is really hard to get behind. Yes, he was good in his two months he handled the job. But, he hasn't even blown a save yet so we have no idea how fragile his psyche is and how he handles that. They always say the true measure of a closer is how they handle a blown 9th inning save, and we just have no data yet on that with Lewis.

Also, remember, we have been down this road before. David Riske was lights out at the end of 2003 when thrust into the closers role, they stuck with him going into the 2004 season in the role and he imploded from day one. And I recall people after the 2005 season lobbying for Fernando Cabrera to be the closer and to not resign Wickman or sign Hoffman. Look how Cabrera turned out. Hell, after the 2007 season there was a huge contingent wanting Betancourt to be the closer....where are those people now?

Bottom line, you need options at closer. I am all for a one year rental of a Valverde or a Hoffman which allows a guy like Lewis, Stevens, or Miller to grow into the role at some point this season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Duane Kuiper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Aren't Perez, Miller, Sipp and maybe even Masa (half a year) backups? Plus a RP they should sign? Isn't 5 enough backups?

And how can someone grow into a role if they never get to do it? If they sign Hoffman, nobody else will saves games in 09.

Isn't saving 13 games growing into the role?

If the Indians let guys be closers in the minors they would know how he handles a blown save.

It all comes back to the Indians never trusting prospects to start the year. They didn't even trust Grady. Maybe that's why they usually get poor starts to the season.

On Riske, they pulled the plug on him too soon. Yes, he had a bad April, but his ERA the rest of the year was 2.83.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Duane, my stance on this if there is a better option available, you go get a closer. Now, mind you, I don't consider very many "available" guys to be better options than Lewis. After K-Rod and Fuentes, there are really only 2-3 guys I would really want, and another 2-3 I would maybe consider. Other than that, give Lewis the job.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Lewis wasn't a closer in the minors.....so didn't blow saves down there.

And Miller and Sipp aren't backup options. Both are coming off injuries and shortened seasons......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:51 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
Duane Kuiper wrote:Getting a proven closer will cost twice as much or more than getting a setup man. And if Lewis' stuff isn't that great, then why would you want him to pitch the 8th which usually has more pressure than the 9th?

Bring him in during the 8th with no one on base. Let Perez handle it if men get on base, since he's got the better stuff.

I don't think I could think of a better way to kill a kid's confidence..
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:38 am

I could.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Hermie13 wrote:I could.

not many though, he nice job last year now we think its best if you never enter a high stress situation but keep up the good work
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:00 am

What faith does that show in someone when you bring them in to pitch the 8th inning and then immediately yank them the minute they put someone on base? You will ruin him with the thought that every time he goes out there to pitch, if he puts a guy on base, he's done.

Also what sense does that make? You are going to save Rafael Perez just in case Lewis doesn't get it done? Why not just put him in there to begin with?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:38 pm

npc29 wrote:What faith does that show in someone when you bring them in to pitch the 8th inning and then immediately yank them the minute they put someone on base? You will ruin him with the thought that every time he goes out there to pitch, if he puts a guy on base, he's done.

Also what sense does that make? You are going to save Rafael Perez just in case Lewis doesn't get it done? Why not just put him in there to begin with?

exactly
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 am

You do what it takes to win. Lewis is a MLer. He can handle being pulled when not doing well. If his confidence can get rattled that easily, then he has NO business being a ML closer.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Hermie13 wrote:You do what it takes to win. Lewis is a MLer. He can handle being pulled when not doing well. If his confidence can get rattled that easily, then he has NO business being a ML closer.

if you do well at a job get promoted then demoted and treated badly you sulk its any persons natural way, and I think it would be bad for him and his performance
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Guys get demoted all the time. Lewis won't 'sulk' and if he does then he's not a true major leaguer. He didn't win the closers role by any means and he knows that. He'll be fine going into 2009 as the setup guy. Heck, he was acutally DEMOTED to AAA during the year. Makes most guys fight to try and get the spot back. I expect Lewis to do the same when he's put back in the setup role where he belongs.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Guys get demoted all the time. Lewis won't 'sulk' and if he does then he's not a true major leaguer. He didn't win the closers role by any means and he knows that. He'll be fine going into 2009 as the setup guy. Heck, he was acutally DEMOTED to AAA during the year. Makes most guys fight to try and get the spot back. I expect Lewis to do the same when he's put back in the setup role where he belongs.

heres the thing he got demoted for not pitching well, that si different then pitching well then getting put into a set up role where you are only ever used when no one gets on base. Lots of players sulk when they feel they are unfairly treated. Look at Anthony Reyes or Brandon Phillips, a lot of guys who do better post trade is because they stop sulking feeling like they will actually get treated well and have a fair chance. I am not saying he should close I am just saying he deserves a chance to challeneg for the spot and to be put in legit need situations.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Phillips and Reyes were both top prospects and premadonas. And Lewis didn't pitch 'that' well down the stretch. A 1.16 WHIP and 3.05 ERA once made the closer is good.....but far from anything special that makes him deserving of keeping the role next year. And you can't just throw out his first half struggles.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:11 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Phillips and Reyes were both top prospects and premadonas. And Lewis didn't pitch 'that' well down the stretch. A 1.16 WHIP and 3.05 ERA once made the closer is good.....but far from anything special that makes him deserving of keeping the role next year. And you can't just throw out his first half struggles.

1.16 and 3.05 era is actually very good even for a closer that would be him in very good company and I am not saying ignore his bad half but he was a different pitcher when he came back. He has a closer mentality and he did very well in the role

I am nto saying give him the job but we could do a lot worse and we could mess with his head by making up esstional a non factor in the pen

I dont care what you say baseball is a huge mental game and players confidence gets effected all the time and in turn affects there play
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:36 pm

It was actually a 2.91ERA and 1.15WHIP after moving into the closers role (21.2IP, 19H, 7R/ER, 6BB, 22K).

If you want to narrow it down further, he actually had a 1.35ERA and 1.05WHIP in his 13 save opps after moving into the role (13.1IP, 10H, 2R/ER, 4BB, 15K).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:32 am

You can't just look at his save opportunities. If you want to do that then JoeBo was actually a pretty decent closer. You're right on the numbers (I missed an inning in there). And even taking ONLY his save opportunitites, Hoffman had a better WHIP than Lewis this year. This team needs to do what it can to improve, not honor guys for 5 weeks runs.

And obviously you don't think he has a closer's mentalility if you think he'll be rattled by the demotion. He shouldn't be Affected by the demotion if he's got the true mental makeup of a closer.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:13 am

Hermie13 wrote:You can't just look at his save opportunities. If you want to do that then JoeBo was actually a pretty decent closer. You're right on the numbers (I missed an inning in there). And even taking ONLY his save opportunitites, Hoffman had a better WHIP than Lewis this year. This team needs to do what it can to improve, not honor guys for 5 weeks runs.

And obviously you don't think he has a closer's mentalility if you think he'll be rattled by the demotion. He shouldn't be Affected by the demotion if he's got the true mental makeup of a closer.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me or not, but I never intended to infer anything by posting the numbers.... I was merely posting the numbers.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Indians Prospect Talk