Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Hitting: where's it coming from?

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Hitting: where's it coming from?

Postby timdav » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Sure, there's about a month left on the '11 season. Granted.

But, why not look ahead to 2012+.

In the Indians minor league organization...who's the next big hitters?

Not just organizational guys, not just "with a little luck, anything can happen". All that's nice...but, who's in the Tribe's minor league organization who looks like a potential, legitimate core position player with above average hitting skills?

If we don't have much hitting that's ready to make the leap to Cleveland in 2012, what pitching can the Tribe afford to trade in order to get projectable hitting at the major league level?

Here's a few....I'm just a fan...and just guessing like the rest of us.

Would love to hear others' views.

Catcher....Chen, Monslave
1b.....Aquilar
2b.....?
3b.....Urshella
ss......Ronny Rodriguez, Wolters, Lindor
of.....Weglarz (if he can ever get healthy), Holt, Washington, Myles

From the above, only Chen & Weglarz are half-way close...the rest seem 3 to 4 years away.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Re: Hitting: where's it coming from?

Postby daingean » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Do not discount that 2nd and 3rd year guys like Kipnis, Chiz, Phelps, Donald, Head and even LaPorta could not take a step forward with their bats. Most of our hitters at the upper levels have graduated to the majors this year and the more major league at bats they get, the better they will adjust. That is our real hope for 2012. Also don't sleep on Mills yet. He got his game together this year and could compete with LaPorta at 1B next year.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Hitting: where's it coming from?

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:12 pm

timdav wrote:Sure, there's about a month left on the '11 season. Granted.

But, why not look ahead to 2012+.

In the Indians minor league organization...who's the next big hitters?

Not just organizational guys, not just "with a little luck, anything can happen". All that's nice...but, who's in the Tribe's minor league organization who looks like a potential, legitimate core position player with above average hitting skills?

If we don't have much hitting that's ready to make the leap to Cleveland in 2012, what pitching can the Tribe afford to trade in order to get projectable hitting at the major league level?

Here's a few....I'm just a fan...and just guessing like the rest of us.

Would love to hear others' views.

Catcher....Chen, Monslave
1b.....Aquilar
2b.....?
3b.....Urshella
ss......Ronny Rodriguez, Wolters, Lindor
of.....Weglarz (if he can ever get healthy), Holt, Washington, Myles

From the above, only Chen & Weglarz are half-way close...the rest seem 3 to 4 years away.

I have not been a fan of his for some time but I watched Beau Mills today and I think he can be added to the half-way close along with the prospect from SF, Thomas Neal. I also would not overlook two MV prospects who might move quickly, Jordan Smith and Jake lowery. if they find a suitable position. Personally, I am not ready to give up on Alex Lavisky since he has power and is young enough to get a clue about the strike zone.

I would also be surprised if Jason Kipnis and Cord Phelps do not retain their rookie status for next year. I thought Kipnis might make it but with the way Donald is playing, it doesn't make much sense to me to rush him back after today. IMO Wolters can play SS but not likely in this organization with Rodriguez and Lindor. Might think about him at 2B along with Phelps and Kipnis. I have not listed anyone from rookie ball since they are really a ways away.

As to where the field prospects are coming from, that looks like an easy one to me. There are loads of pitching from the MLs on down to A+ that can be traded without hurting the long term prospects. It is true that young pitching gets hurt but there are four top 20 pitching prospects returning from the DL that may impact an already good prospect group. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk