RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Indians Organizational Ranking and Report - 1st Basemen

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2011 Indians Organizational Ranking and Report - 1st Basemen

Postby osueddy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 pm

I'll be posting over the next week a report ranking the Indians prospects at each position and an overall report on the position. I'll be using the same rules as Tony concerning eligibility for prospects (50 IP, 130 AB, and played stateside). The age next to the players name is for next season using the July 1 cut-off date.

1st Basemen Not Eligible: Matt LaPorta, Travis Hafner

Prospect Ranking (1st Basemen):
1.) Jordan Brown (27)
2.) Beau Mills (24)
3.) Jeremie Tice (24)
4.) Jesus Aguilar (21)
5.) Wes Hodges (26)

This position has many players that were one time or another ranked in the Tribe's Top Ten Prospects. Now the three of them (Brown, Mills, Hodges) are just hoping to keep any prospect status. I've got Brown first just because he has done everything the Indians have asked of him, and he will get his shot somewhere even if it is with Cleveland. It's possible Mills has more projection than Brown, but he'll be returning to Akron again for a 3rd season. Tice really exploded last year with 14 HR and 70 rbi's and he may be the highest rated 1st basemen next year. Aguilar has some promising power and it will be great to see how he does with a full season team. Hodges inability to stick at 3rd base makes him not as usable and he could be a surprise cut from the Columbus roster.

Didn't Make the Cut:
Chase Burnette (23)
Chris Kersten (25)
Ben Carlson (23)
Nate Recknagel (25)
Andrew Kinney (23)

Future Prospects From the DSL Team:
Charlie Valerio (20) - He played 48 games at 1B and just 17 at catcher. He hit .276-4-37 and had a 37/34 BB/K ratio. Charlie could make a name for himself on a short season team this season.

Orgizational Report:
Cleveland - LaPorta / Hafner
Columbus - Brown / Hodges
Akron - Mills / Recknagel
Kinston - Tice / Kersten
Lake County - Burnette / Aguilar
Extended Spring Training - Valerio / Kinney
Cut? - Carlson

1st Base involves a lot of hoping on the part of Indians fans. This position could end up as an organizational strength, or we could be asking someone like Santana, Chen, or Lavisky to make a position change. The first hope is that LaPorta becomes the jewel of the Sabathia trade and hits 30 HR's every season. That would allow Brown/Hodges/Mills to develop into something or not because we would be set at the position. I think that Hodges might not make Columbus due to their need for a utility middle infielder on the bench, not another 1B/DH clogging it up. Recknagel could make the Akron roster as a DH, but he can't do much else. The one wide open battle will be for the backup 1st Basemen/Designated Hitter at Kinston behind Tice. I know Ben Carlson was a high pick (6th '09), but Chris Kersten has proven more to me so far and would deserve that spot.
Overall, this position is in danger if LaPorta fails. Jordan Brown could fill in, but I don't think he would be the long term answer. Maybe Beau Mills will surprise us all and start smashing the ball and prove that his 1st round draft status was worthy.
Last edited by osueddy on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Re: 2011 Indians Organizational Ranking and Report - 1st Bas

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:27 am

I think you are overlooking Jared Goedert. At least I hope so. Jordan Brown has not done a thing which warrants placement at the top of this list IMO. Not sure why you think highly enough of him to place him this highly in an admittedly awful list but his only weaknesses are hitting, fielding, throwing and running. IMO he will not be a ML player anywhere, even in Cleveland. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 am

It might be "generous" to call Travis Hafner a 1B.. but, if you have to list a position, that would be it... LaPorta went into this offseason without a scheduled surgery (PRONK, too).. that alone should allow him to come to spring training (now just 46 days away from Pitcher and Catcher reporting day) at least two or three weeks ahead of where he's ever been while wearing Chief Wahoo on his sleeve....

In general, the 1B slot across the minor league system is pretty much a desert. Former prospects being shuffled to the spot.. before being unceremoniously freed from their pursuit of being a MLB player appears to be the highway most traveled in the Indians organization. The infusion of a blue chip prospect in the coming draft (Tucker Time!) could be in the offing.. unless one of the projectable pitchers (Taylor Time !) are still there when the Indians select...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby osueddy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:06 am

indianinkslinger wrote:I think you are overlooking Jared Goedert. At least I hope so. Jordan Brown has not done a thing which warrants placement at the top of this list IMO. Not sure why you think highly enough of him to place him this highly in an admittedly awful list but his only weaknesses are hitting, fielding, throwing and running. IMO he will not be a ML player anywhere, even in Cleveland. :pleasantry:

I've got Jared Goedert as a third baseman, so no overlooking here. Brown's not on the top of my list because he is amazing, but does anyone other first baseman deserve to be first?

He does have some weaknesses, but hitting really isn't one of them. He's a career .306 hitter in the minors with an .840 OPS. He won league MVP awards at High-A and AA, and he hasn't exactly struggled in AAA (he led the IL in average in 2009).

I do agree with your assessment of some of his other abilities.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Firstbase is certainly an area which lacks depth but there are some other options too (like Weglarz and Goedirt). In the classic baseball thinking firstbase is a power position but we have seen non-power guys succeed (Grace, Mattingly, Olerud, and Hargrove) so there could be hope out there for guys like J.Brown and Hodges.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm

daingean wrote:Firstbase is certainly an area which lacks depth but there are some other options too (like Weglarz and Goedirt). In the classic baseball thinking firstbase is a power position but we have seen non-power guys succeed (Grace, Mattingly, Olerud, and Hargrove) so there could be hope out there for guys like J.Brown and Hodges.

It's why LaPorta succeeding is so imperative. There doesn't seem to be a starting quality 1B behind him.

After getting DFA'd, and essentially being passed by in the org by McBride, Weglarz, Goedert, Brown and even arguably Duncan as the corner utility guy... I agree with osueddy that Hodges certainly will be a guy considered for getting cut. I think we could be talking about a similar fate for Jordan Brown next year unless he makes the most of any call-ups he gets this year.

I'll ask this question to all of you here, as I have little insight: Out of the following three guys, who is most likely to play in the majors - Chase Burnette, Jesus Aguilar or Jeremie Tice?
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby osueddy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Edible14 wrote:
daingean wrote:Firstbase is certainly an area which lacks depth but there are some other options too (like Weglarz and Goedirt). In the classic baseball thinking firstbase is a power position but we have seen non-power guys succeed (Grace, Mattingly, Olerud, and Hargrove) so there could be hope out there for guys like J.Brown and Hodges.

It's why LaPorta succeeding is so imperative. There doesn't seem to be a starting quality 1B behind him.

After getting DFA'd, and essentially being passed by in the org by McBride, Weglarz, Goedert, Brown and even arguably Duncan as the corner utility guy... I agree with osueddy that Hodges certainly will be a guy considered for getting cut. I think we could be talking about a similar fate for Jordan Brown next year unless he makes the most of any call-ups he gets this year.

I'll ask this question to all of you here, as I have little insight: Out of the following three guys, who is most likely to play in the majors - Chase Burnette, Jesus Aguilar or Jeremie Tice?

I'm going to say Aguilar. I don't think Burnette will make it above AA. I do hope that Tice pans out though.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Postby Jake Taylor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm

I actually think Burnette has a decent chance to succeed. He has good bat speed and the ball sounds good off his bat. He'll have to make more consistent contact, but there's some good power there and he has some athleticism to boot.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:38 am

Jake Taylor wrote:I actually think Burnette has a decent chance to succeed. He has good bat speed and the ball sounds good off his bat. He'll have to make more consistent contact, but there's some good power there and he has some athleticism to boot.

After someone mentioned it, I took a good look at Burnette's defense and there is a lot of improvement needed, Aguilar has a way to go but he is young enough to do it. He is not high on my list but is higher than others on the list.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk